Thread: Nerve Weakness

Smile Nerve Weakness

Hello maam physcially i have an athletic look and height and weight everything is ideal .But i suffer from a sort of nerve weakness .I go for gym and sometimes it so happens that when i lift a thing like dumbles or do the weights excersise my hands sometimes shiver .Though i am very young now i may not have severe problems but from long term point of view think it may increase if neglected thats wht i feel.I took some vitamins capsules as suggested by the doctor and there has been an improvement.But kindly suggest how to get rid of it permanently.

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Ah, this 'nerve weakness' as you call it, is, I think a self diagnosis, right? Well, you are in the hands of a qualified physician and you say that the vitamin capsules have helped too. So, give it some time.

Also, maybe you are overdoing the exercises. When you strain the muscles or challenge them to beyond their capacity, such reactions do take place.

i don't think there's anything to worry about. But, ya, if it persists or increases, then you may want to consult the physician again!

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    Ah, this 'nerve weakness' as you call it, is, I think a self diagnosis, right? Well, you are in the hands of a qualified physician and you say that the vitamin capsules have helped too. So, give it some time.

Also, maybe you are overdoing the exercises. When you strain the muscles or challenge them to beyond their capacity, such reactions do take place.

i don't think there's anything to worry about. But, ya, if it persists or increases, then you may want to consult the physician again!
    maam it was not self diagonsis my doctor told me abt it.And coming to the excersises i don over do it as i just lift the weights as per my capacity......If u can suggest any useful excercises 2 strengthen the nerves or any diet for the same then it may be helpful.......

♡♥☋Ǩ ★☆★ ☾ћiҜ♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

no achiever... ma'am is right.. its coz of overdoin the weights especially...

when u first strat that heavy weights exercises.. it takes a while for ur body to get adjusted to them... and later only whne u get used to them all that shiver stops..
    once i exercised using bro's dumbells..and liked it and in excitement overdid..and ended up getting fever for two days..
    its always imortant that when u begin.. start with lighter exercises and little time..and gradually increase..

and again plz dont go to gym with out an proper instructor..never on ur own.high risks of bones and muscles u may encounter.which can never be tretaed!!!

also hwne u doing weights..u need to take equally heavy intake of food... in form of protein shakes etc etc..

u know all that eggs, milk...(mr.vegeterian).. so atleast take supplements..

take care.. and get proper information from experts nad instructors..(m nan illiterate in this feild)..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sens View Post
    no achiever... ma'am is right.. its coz of overdoin the weights especially...

when u first strat that heavy weights exercises.. it takes a while for ur body to get adjusted to them... and later only whne u get used to them all that shiver stops..
    once i exercised using bro's dumbells..and liked it and in excitement overdid..and ended up getting fever for two days..
    its always imortant that when u begin.. start with lighter exercises and little time..and gradually increase..

and again plz dont go to gym with out an proper instructor..never on ur own.high risks of bones and muscles u may encounter.which can never be tretaed!!!

also hwne u doing weights..u need to take equally heavy intake of food... in form of protein shakes etc etc..

u know all that eggs, milk...(mr.vegeterian).. so atleast take supplements..

take care.. and get proper information from experts nad instructors..(m nan illiterate in this feild)..

k..thanks for ur suggestions..........

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Default Do this exercise

Mushtika Bandhan
    a is the Indian translation for Hand Clenching. This yoga exercise is good for the hands and wrist which are areas commonly affected by Arthritis, especially osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis is common in women and is usually felt in the early part of Menopause. It causes the wearing out of the cushions of the joint of the fingers. Doing the hand clenching will help in developing a firm grip, strengthen the joints in the hands, and is useful for those who play tennis, badminton or cricket.
    • Do a seated pose where you feel most comfortable or sit straight on a chair.
    • Bring your arm in front of you at shoulder level, keeping it straight and parallel to the floor.
    • Make a fist with your thumb side up, your thumb inserted into your other fingers.
    • Open your hand as you inhale then stretch all your five fingers.
    • Fold your hand back into a fist as you exhale, your thumb tucked in.
    • Repeat this exercise for about 8 times then do the same with your other hand. After some practice, you may be able to do Hand Clenching on both hands at the same time.

Follow the breathing pattern of exhaling when closing the hands and inhaling when opening the hands. Also remember to concentrate on the breathing, the mental counting, the stretching sensation and the movement itself. In no time, the hands will work more vigorously than before.

Smile

Mushtika Bandhan
    a is the Indian translation for Hand Clenching. This yoga exercise is good for the hands and wrist which are areas commonly affected by Arthritis, especially osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis is common in women and is usually felt in the early part of Menopause. It causes the wearing out of the cushions of the joint of the fingers. Doing the hand clenching will help in developing a firm grip, strengthen the joints in the hands, and is useful for those who play tennis, badminton or cricket.
    • Bring your arm in front of you at shoulder level, keeping it straight and parallel to the floor.
    • Make a fist with your thumb side up, your thumb inserted into your other fingers.
    • Repeat this exercise for about 8 times then do the same with your other hand. After some practice, you may be able to do Hand Clenching on both hands at the same time.

Follow the breathing pattern of exhaling when closing the hands and inhaling when opening the hands. Also remember to concentrate on the breathing, the mental counting, the stretching sensation and the movement itself. In no time, the hands will work more vigorously than before.

thanks a lot maam.........

♡♥☋Ǩ ★☆★ ☾ћiҜ♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

Mushtika Bandhan

really good info ma'am!!!

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by theachiever View Post
    Hello maam physcially i have an athletic look and height and weight everything is ideal .But i suffer from a sort of nerve weakness .I go for gym and sometimes it so happens that when i lift a thing like dumbles or do the weights excersise my hands sometimes shiver .Though i am very young now i may not have severe problems but from long term point of view think it may increase if neglected thats wht i feel.I took some vitamins capsules as suggested by the doctor and there has been an improvement.But kindly suggest how to get rid of it permanently.
    I am no expert but take an alternative opinion also from another doctor also. The symptoms are quite similar to that of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - It is a condition that arises from the wrist due to repetitive motion. It often affects people who work on the computers, as well as others who do repetitive tasks with their hands.

It is described as tightness in the wrist that leads to numbness, tingling, and weakness in the hand. This is incurred by the following: the carpal tunnel is an area in the wrist made up of nine muscle tendons, which surround the Median Nerve, and lies across the carpal (wrist) bones. Laid over the tunnel is a band of tight tissue called the Flexor Retinaculum, which keeps the wrist together. The Median Nerve gives feeling to most of the palm side of the hand. Repeating motions in these muscles causes them to swell and squeeze the nerve. Because of the Flexor Retinaculum, the swelling has no place to go except for in the nerve space, which causes the numbness, tingling, and sometimes severe pain into the wrist.

Many people with ongoing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome chose to have surgery which cuts and releases the Flexor Retinaculum and allows the area to expand. This means that the tight space is now gone, and any swelling the muscles incur will no longer affect the nerve.

Fortunately, there are some exercises to treat Carpal Tunnel in the early stages to relieve the swelling and strengthen the muscles so the repetitive motion no longer bothers them. Doing these treatments early on when symptoms first arise will likely delay, if not dispel, the need for surgery.

The first basic treatments to parallel exercises are rest and ice

Resting often in-between motions is important

In addition, wrist splints for carpal tunnel are also beneficial, as they place your wrist and hand in a better position to function, thereby decreasing symptoms without restricting motions.

In addition, placing ice on your wrists for fifteen minutes after exceedingly long days at work can reduce any swelling that has occurred and thereby reducing symptoms.

The first exercises are for hand-gripping, such as squeezing a soft ball in your hand (this also relieves stress!). First, do general squeezes, using all the fingers, at three sets of ten repetitions. Then, do squeezes with one finger and thumb at a time. For example, the first finger and thumb at three sets of ten, then the second finger and thumb, etc. These are "pinching" exercises. Next you should get a light hand weight of about two pounds and grip it in your hand. Do three sets of ten reps of turning your hand over to the palm side then back over to the dorsum side. With the hand weight and the palm side of your hand facing the table, so three sets of ten reps of "wrist extensions," or bringing the back of your hand toward you with your arm flat on the table. Next, flip your hand over, and with the weight and the palm side of your hand facing you, do three sets of ten reps of "wrist flexions," or bringing the palm side of your hand toward you with your hand on the table.

These basic exercises can strengthen the muscles in and around your carpal tunnel so that they can sustain activity for a longer period of time without swelling. As always, consult your physician immediately when you start experiencing symptoms, and before you begin any strict exercise regime.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by it matters to me View Post
    I am no expert but take an alternative opinion also from another doctor also. The symptoms are quite similar to that of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - It is a condition that arises from the wrist due to repetitive motion. It often affects people who work on the computers, as well as others who do repetitive tasks with their hands.

It is described as tightness in the wrist that leads to numbness, tingling, and weakness in the hand. This is incurred by the following: the carpal tunnel is an area in the wrist made up of nine muscle tendons, which surround the Median Nerve, and lies across the carpal (wrist) bones. Laid over the tunnel is a band of tight tissue called the Flexor Retinaculum, which keeps the wrist together. The Median Nerve gives feeling to most of the palm side of the hand. Repeating motions in these muscles causes them to swell and squeeze the nerve. Because of the Flexor Retinaculum, the swelling has no place to go except for in the nerve space, which causes the numbness, tingling, and sometimes severe pain into the wrist.

Many people with ongoing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome chose to have surgery which cuts and releases the Flexor Retinaculum and allows the area to expand. This means that the tight space is now gone, and any swelling the muscles incur will no longer affect the nerve.

Fortunately, there are some exercises to treat Carpal Tunnel in the early stages to relieve the swelling and strengthen the muscles so the repetitive motion no longer bothers them. Doing these treatments early on when symptoms first arise will likely delay, if not dispel, the need for surgery.

The first basic treatments to parallel exercises are rest and ice

Resting often in-between motions is important

In addition, wrist splints for carpal tunnel are also beneficial, as they place your wrist and hand in a better position to function, thereby decreasing symptoms without restricting motions.

In addition, placing ice on your wrists for fifteen minutes after exceedingly long days at work can reduce any swelling that has occurred and thereby reducing symptoms.

The first exercises are for hand-gripping, such as squeezing a soft ball in your hand (this also relieves stress!). First, do general squeezes, using all the fingers, at three sets of ten repetitions. Then, do squeezes with one finger and thumb at a time. For example, the first finger and thumb at three sets of ten, then the second finger and thumb, etc. These are "pinching" exercises. Next you should get a light hand weight of about two pounds and grip it in your hand. Do three sets of ten reps of turning your hand over to the palm side then back over to the dorsum side. With the hand weight and the palm side of your hand facing the table, so three sets of ten reps of "wrist extensions," or bringing the back of your hand toward you with your arm flat on the table. Next, flip your hand over, and with the weight and the palm side of your hand facing you, do three sets of ten reps of "wrist flexions," or bringing the palm side of your hand toward you with your hand on the table.

These basic exercises can strengthen the muscles in and around your carpal tunnel so that they can sustain activity for a longer period of time without swelling. As always, consult your physician immediately when you start experiencing symptoms, and before you begin any strict exercise regime.

Thanks a lot for ur valuable information and ur suggestions..........it really matters a lot to me .Thanks again ...............