Thread: How to increase Hb during pregnancy?

New Born

Default How to increase Hb during pregnancy?

Hello mam& friends

Well its actually not a big problem just the thing is that i am 4 months pregnant &right now i am in abroad for 2 months my problem is that my doctor started iron tablets if i take them for few days it start feeling nausea& even puke at times so i stopped taking iron tablet
    If i dont take it am fine but the problem is that my Hb was 11 but doc siad it should be 13 during pregnancy
    Is there any natural way i can increase my Hb without taking iron&
    one thing more its getting hard to consume milk now a days for me again i need calcium also though i am taking calcium tablets but i don't know is it enough for me or not

i just want few nutritional advice as i am vegetarian & in europe u dont have much options

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hi!
    Firstly, Congratulation mama to be! How lovely that you are going to have a baby!

Now lets see what you can do about that hemoglobin of yours. See, the aversion maybe temporary, so you can revert to iron tablets after some weeks but in the meanwhile, look to your diet. If you’re a vegetarian, then do you eat sufficient nuts, leafy greens and beans? Caffeinated drinks can also interfere with iron absorption. Soy products, so often a part of our diets, can also affect our iron levels. Try to cut out these foods for a few days, and increase your intake of dark green vegetables (or drink them: many “green” drinks out there include spinach and other leafy greens). In many cases this helps.

There is also iron in pulses (such as lentils and beans), dried fruit, green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, and in fortified breakfast cereals. The iron in these foods is not so easily absorbed by the body.

Vitamin C might help us to absorb iron. So, for example, having a glass of orange juice with a meal, or having vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green peppers or potatoes (all good sources of vitamin C) we might be able to increase the amount of iron our bodies get from our food.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by milady View Post
    Hello mam& friends

Well its actually not a big problem just the thing is that i am 4 months pregnant &right now i am in abroad for 2 months my problem is that my doctor started iron tablets if i take them for few days it start feeling nausea& even puke at times so i stopped taking iron tablet
    If i dont take it am fine but the problem is that my Hb was 11 but doc siad it should be 13 during pregnancy
    Is there any natural way i can increase my Hb without taking iron&
    one thing more its getting hard to consume milk now a days for me again i need calcium also though i am taking calcium tablets but i don't know is it enough for me or not

i just want few nutritional advice as i am vegetarian & in europe u dont have much options
    congrats milady
    preeto mam suggested pretty good things. .but milady , dietery iron is not enough to reach 13gm% of Hb. and this is bad side of iron tablets, they taste very bad. same goes with vitamin A syrup.
    after tablet, take some juice to change the taste. .but for baby itna karlo.

consult doctor if she has any alternative for u.
    gud luck

New Born

Hello dear... First of all congratulations !!!!

I will suggest you a dadi's ( Grand Ma's) remedy for this. It worked for me when i got a low HB due to typhoid.

You have to take pomegranate ( juice or fruit) and carrots in your diet. What i did is made juice of both of these and drink atleast 2 times a day. It is really helpful.. you can see the results in a month itself.

Other than that take all what preeto mam has suggested

Wish you a healthy life :-)

♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

hey ,
    congrats... everyone already has given excellent advice... especially ma'am!

there r many pills and also syrups available ...plz change to other which may suit u better..

the best source of iron is Spinach(palak)...
    also drum-sticks.. and beet-roots are full of iron.. u can have them raw and chew on it all day long..and among dry fruits.. dates contain the most iron... eat dates

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel

A falling Hb during a pregnancy is NORMAL and is due to the increased blood volume and haemodilution that is NORMAL in a pregnancy. But lots of people tend to forget this, and try and make Hb stay the same throughout pregnancy! There's a good piece of research on this some 10 years ago, which showed actually that women with lower Hbs (9 - 10) at the end of pregnancy had better outcomes than those with high Hbs.

Iron is found in various foods.
    Non-haem iron is found in green leafy vegetables, nuts, whole grain breads, iron-fortified cereals and eggs, and is harder to be absorbed by the body. This is because the absorption of non-haem iron can be inhibited by various other foods. Essentially, whether or not non-heam iron is absorbed by the body depends on what else you eat, in addition to foods rich in such iron.

Vitamin C helps in iron absorption, and it is especially effective if eaten along with food. This is why it is always a good idea to take Vitamin C supplements just after meals. Foods rich in Vitamin C include citrus fruits, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, berries and capsicum, so make sure you include these foods in your meals with regularity, along with green, leafy vegetables. So your aim should basically be to combine foods rich in iron, with foods rich in Vitamin C, in the same meal.

Thumbs up

I should have wrote in more detail in my last post, anyways

Guidelines that we follow are as per WHO.

And Milady you are pretty close to being anemic. You need to build up your Hb to at least 13 units to build up enough Iron stores to avoid obstetrical complications and fetal complications

I guess you are Indian, and anemia is very common here.

Good amount of Iron is very important to build Hemoglobin (Hemoglobin can’t exist without Iron, Fe is part of it). It is important for:

• Avoiding perinatal mortality and low birth weight child.
    • Avoiding Obstetrical complications and maternal mortality.

During pregnancy the physiological requirement of iron becomes very high which cannot be met with most diets ..For instance I bowl of Cooked Spinach which is richest source of non-heme iron can provide only 6gm or so of Iron. Anyway since you are Anemic, you should anyways have to take supplements.

I am not saying that diet shouldn’t contain Iron rich food, do not misread. Iron has to be supplemented along with Good Diet

Also Iron is usually given along with Folic Acid . . which again is another reason to have Supplements.

For your Information, folic acid helps in the development of the child’s neural tube development and if not taken may produce neural defects (neural = related to nervous system including brain)

Dekhlo aap kya chahte ho. . I can only advise

New Born

Thanks to everyone here for posting replies.
    I will try to follow all the points u guys suggested the only thing is that during pregnancy at times i dont feel like to eat anything
    anyways thanks alot

god bless u all

New Born

Quote Originally Posted by FeeDback View Post

I should have wrote in more detail in my last post, anyways

Guidelines that we follow are as per WHO.

IZE=3]And Milady you are pretty close to being anemic. You need to build up your Hb to at least 13 units to build up enough Iron stores to avoid obstetrical complications and fetal complications [/SIZE]

I guess you are Indian, and anemia is very common here.

Good amount of Iron is very important to build Hemoglobin (Hemoglobin can’t exist without Iron, Fe is part of it). It is important for:

• Avoiding perinatal mortality and low birth weight child.
    • Avoiding Obstetrical complications and maternal mortality.

During pregnancy the physiological requirement of iron becomes very high which cannot be met with most diets ..For instance I bowl of Cooked Spinach which is richest source of non-heme iron can provide only 6gm or so of Iron. Anyway since you are Anemic, you should anyways have to take supplements.

I am not saying that diet shouldn’t contain Iron rich food, do not misread. Iron has to be supplemented along with Good Diet

Also Iron is usually given along with Folic Acid . . which again is another reason to have Supplements.

For your Information, folic acid helps in the development of the child’s neural tube development and if not taken may produce neural defects (neural = related to nervous system including brain)

Dekhlo aap kya chahte ho. . I can only advise
    Oh tumney toh mujhe daraa diya mein aaj he se iron ki supplement leyna shuru karti hu thankx for such a nice information
    i will take iron supplement from now on no matter how i feel

♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milady View Post
    Oh tumney toh mujhe daraa diya mein aaj he se iron ki supplement leyna shuru karti hu thankx for such a nice information
    i will take iron supplement from now on no matter how i feel
    yeah milady ,
    supplements --- ask for a change..several capsules and syrups r available..keep changing till it suits u