Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: The world of wrestling - WWE

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar (Extreme Rules Match)

World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan (2-out-of-3 Falls Match)

WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho (Chicago Street Fight)

Randy Orton vs. Kane (Falls Count Anywhere Match)

Intercontinental Champion Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes

United States Champion Santino Marella vs. The Miz

Divas Champion Nikki Bella vs. Beth Phoenix

Last edited by rishabhd; 29-04-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Extreme Rules 2012 Results

John Cena defeats Brock Lesnar

WWE Champion CM Punk defeats Chris Jericho in a Chicago Street Fight

Randy Orton defeats Kane

World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus def. Daniel Bryan (2-out-of-3 Falls Match)

United States Champion Santino Marella def. The Miz

Cody Rhodes def. Intercontinental Champion Big Show (New Champion; Tables Match)

Layla def. Nikki Bella (New Divas Champion)

WWE Raw 4/30/12

♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

wah ji wah... love it!!
    Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

Default WWE ‘Monday Night Raw’ recap – [4/30/12]

Following up on the the absolutely awesome ‘Extreme Rules’ pay-per-view, the WWE put on a ‘Monday Night Raw’ designed to answer all your lingering questions from the night before. What’s the deal with Brock Lesnar and his contract? Is John Cena really injured and taking time off? Who will be the new No. 1 contender for CM Punk’s WWE Championship? Is there anyone left for Brodus Clay to squash? WWE answered all of these and more, while also giving fans no less than eight wrestling matches to chew on.

To find out the answers to the above questions, along with the five most important moments from this week’s ‘Raw,’ keep reading, and make sure to add a comment telling us what you thought about the show. Finally, link us up through Facebook and your other social networks and follow me on Twitter so we can yammer about wrestling together ALL WEEK LONG.

Starring Brock Lesnar?

Building up to his ‘Extreme Rules’ match against John Cena, Brock Lesnar made arrangements with Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and General Manager of both ‘Raw’ and ‘SmackDown’ John Laurinaitis, for his to become the face of WWE. This was to include the title of the company’s flagship show gaining a “Starring Brock Lesnar” addendum, the use of the promotion’s private jet and more, and after a special opening card featuring the former UFC Heavyweight Champion’s mug, it looked like WWE might be going through with it (storyline-wise at least).

But at the top of the show Laurinaitis and Lesnar (sounds like a personal injury law firm) were interrupted by none other than WWE’s storyline Chief Barbarian Operation Officer, Triple H. Trips tried to force Brock to abide by the original terms of his contract, seeing as Laurinaitis didn’t have the authority to offer all the additional perks listed above, but this just enraged Lesnar, who attacked his boss, beat him up, put him in a Kimura Lock and kayfabe (I hope) broke Triple H’s arm, drawing out much of the locker room to defend the COO.

I loved this segment. While I’m not sure how WWE will logically explain Lesnar’s continued presence after he broke the boss’ arm on live television, I thought it was a great way to quickly reestablish Lesnar as a monster following his loss to Cena the night before. I don’t think his ‘Extreme Rules’ match hurt him too much in fans’ estimation, seeing as his loss came only after a long match spent brutalizing his opponent, but if there were any concerns about his “legitimacy,” they should be gone now. I was also happy to see Triple H used in this capacity, as when he came out, I was immediately worried that the GAme would step in and beat up Lesnar, which would have done nothing to build WWE’s new threat, and retroactively made Cena look like kind of a joke. Well done all around.

WWE

Brodus Clay vs. JTG, the sequel

It seems like WWE has pretty much run out of guys on the roster to feed to Brodus Clay, having sent the Funkasaurus tearing through much of the lower card already. In my mind, that should mean it’s time to put Clay in an actual storyline, but apparently WWE disagrees, instead letting the wrestler face off against JTG for the second time. If I remember correctly, JTG got in a little more offense than he did the first time around, but the match was still basically a squash. The most interesting part of the contest, however, was how JTG sold all of his opponent’s attacks: Crazily.
    It wasn’t quite at Shawn Michaels at ‘Summerslam’ 2005 levels, but there was absolutely nothing naturalistic about the way he flopped around the ring and fell on his back with his legs straight up, causing even my (very patient with the television on Monday nights) fiancé to point out how lousy it was. This wasn’t fun, emotive Dolph Ziggler selling, it was a guy having a laugh. It might be reading to much into things, but given the way that JTG has been ensconced on WWE’s non-televised programming the past year or so, and the fact that the annual talent purge is still ahead of us, I wouldn’t be surprised if the former Cryme Tyme member isn’t expecting to hang around much longer.

New Tag Team Champions

This week saw Primo & Epico lose the WWE Tag Team Titles to Kofi Kingston & R-Truth, which if you’re anything like me, elicited a big fat “Who gives a turkey?” WWE has done nothing to build the tag team division or protect the titles, which makes their changing hands largely meaningless. The Colon boys had even already lost matches to Kingston & Truth, as well as any number of other tag teams in recent months, making the change even less exciting.

Still, whenever the tag team titles change hands, I get a little hopeful. This might be too optimistic on my part, but any new set of tag team champions is a chance for WWE to start rebuilding their tag team promotion. With the recently dethroned team, the Usos, Darren Young and Titus O’Neil in the mix, there’s actually the potential for some good tag team storylines to kick in. Additionally, the fact that Epico & Primo might sign a managerial contract with Abraham Washington points to at least some kind of plan being in place for the division.

YES! YES! YES!

I’m a ****er for a good Beat the Clock Challenge – it guarantees a decent amount of wrestling on any given episode of WWE television and adds a nice extra dramatic element as wrestlers try not only to beat one another, but do it quickly as well. This particular BtCC didn’t stand out as a particularly fantastic one, but that’s absolutely fine, because the upshot was seeing Daniel Bryan beat up Jerry Lawler to become the new No. 1 contender for the WWE Title.

Like most everyone else on the internet, I’m a huge Daniel Bryan fan, going back to his days in Ring of Honor as Bryan Danielson, so of course I’m delighted to see that after getting knocked out of the World Heavyweight Title picture, he’s received a de facto promotion to compete for the slightly more well-regarded WWE Championship. Even better is the fact that he’ll be facing another talented internet darling for the title at ‘Over the Limit’: CM Punk. Finally, I’m not sure what the point was really, but I also really enjoyed seeing Bryan wrestle against Lawler. The King annoys the hell out of me on commentary, and generally I think he’s past the point where he should be involved in extended in-the-ring storylines, but this week showed that with the right opponent, he can still put on a seriously enjoyable match.

WWE

Cena’s OK!

The biggest question coming out of ‘Extreme Rules’ was whether John Cena was legit injured or not. While he seemed to have no problem hitting the Attitude Adjustment on Brock Lesnar to win their match, afterward he sold some kind of serious injury to his left arm, letting it hang limply to his side and even alluding to needing to take some time away from the ring. Apparently that was all just a work, however, as Cena revealed that he is “hurt” but not “injured” and will be continuing to wrestle. Soon afterward, he was joined in the ring by John Laurinaitis, who was ready to introduce Cena’s opponent for ‘Over the Limit,’ after teasing Lord Tensai (which I would have been totally fine with actually), the Omni-GM then revealed that it would be, in fact, him that faced Cena.
    I’m excited to see the former Johnny Ace step back into the ring, especially against Cena, who is more than capable of getting a good match out of the guy, even if he’s forgotten everything he used to know in his All-Japan days. Trouble is, Laurinaitis stepping into the ring against Cena is kind of too-little too-late, as what fans were clamoring for just a few short months ago was to see the EVP of Talent Relations square off against CM Punk, with whom he had a much more heated rivalry. I’m looking forward to this, but have to wonder why, if Laurinaitis is capable of having a match, WWE didn’t pull the trigger on it earlier, when he was involved in a much more intense angle.
    Finally, a couple thoughts about Cena’s worked injury…While it was certainly effective in piquing my interest both after ‘Extreme Rules’ as well as throughout ‘Raw,’ I have to wonder about the long-term wisdom of storylines where a serious injury is teased only to turn around and say, “Nope, he’s fine and will be wrestling at the next pay-per-view.” Given Cena’s non-injury and the weird worked nature of whatever is going on with Beth Phoenix, it causes fans to be extra skeptical of anytime someone is supposedly legitimately injured…like when WWE’s COO sustains a broken arm on live television. Cena’s non-injury injury was certainly effective now, but this type of storytelling will start yielding diminishing returns extremely quickly.

Last edited by rishabhd; 05-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.

This week has seen some pretty mighty fine WWE product hit the airwaves, including the awesome ‘Extreme Rules’ pay-per-view and a perfectly entertaining ‘Monday Night Raw’ the night afterward. While you won’t be seeing guys like Brock Lesnar, John Cena or CM Punk on this week’s ‘SmackDown,’ all signs (meaning dirt sheet show reports) point to this being a solid two hours of rasslin entertainment.

For a full preview of this week’s ‘Friday Night SmackDown,’ keep reading below, but please keep in mind that SPOILER WARNINGS are in full effect. Then, tell us what you’re looking forward to about the show in the comments and share the article on all your social networks. Finally, follow me on Twitter – it’ll make us that much closer to one another, I promise.

First Tag Team Title defense

This past Monday saw the team of Kofi Kingston & R-Truth win the WWE Tag Team Championships from Primo & Epico, and in keeping with WWE’s apparent initiative to form all tag teams along racial lines, the two’s first title defense is against Hunico & Camacho. (Or, perceived racial lines, at least. Despite the Hispanic name and cholo gear, Camacho is actually the son of Tongan wrestler Haku/Meng.)

If you’re eager to see a rematch between Kingston & Truth and the two Colon boys, you might be a little disappointed this week. But, you shouldn’t have to wait too long to see the four get back in the ring together, as Epico & Primo observe this week’s title defense from ringside, along with their rapidly expanding managerial team of Rosa Mendes and Abraham Washington.

Funkasaurus vs. Swagger x2

Proving that a complete and utter lack of any kind of storyline or even characterization beyond “Loves dancing and headbutting!” can’t keep a good Funkasaurus down, this Friday will see Brodus Clay take on Jack Swagger. Fittingly, Swagger’s partner in the managerial services of Vickie Guerrero, Dolph Ziggler, gets involved, causing Clay to win by DQ, and prompting a joint beatdown on the Funkasaurus. Naturally, however, Clay gets his sealegs and chases his assailants off.
    BUT, there may well be a totally different finish to this particular match! See, later in the night, WWE retaped part of this contest, and instead of having Clay lose by DQ, they redid things to have him win by count out. This was likely done in order to keep Clay looking strong, seeing as he’s been largely undefeated since his repackaging, but it will be interesting to see which finish WWE goes with, and whether they retain any of the post-match beatdown from Ziggler & Swagger.

Sandow walks and Ryback squashes

This week’s ‘SmackDown’ was meant to feature a contest between new addition to the roster Damien Sandow and Derrick “Do I really still work here?” Bateman. But instead of simply coming out and beating the guy up like everyone expected, Sandow instead cut a promo on both Bateman and the Toledo, Ohio crowd, and then refused to wrestle.
    Fortunately, there was someone else in the back capable of coming out and pummeling Bateman: Ryback. While it’s somewhat of a comedown from Sunday night, when Ryback steamrolled through not one, but two nameless jobbers, it should still be a fun time watching the former Skip Sheffield batter his opponent. Hopefully the Buckeyes in attendance will get the “GOLD-BERG!” chants going again.

Who were the Bellas again?

As of Monday night, Brie and Nikki Bella are apparently no longer with WWE, following a short and largely pointless run with the Divas Title. But all that’s in the past, because we now have a new Divas Champion: Layla! She won the title on Sunday at ‘Extreme Rules,’ and first defended it on Monday against both Bellas simultaneously, but she’ll be stepping into the ring again on Friday against Natalya.
    Seemingly everyone on the internet is aware, but it bears repeating: Natalya is really good at actually wrestling. Her and Beth Phoenix are easily the most talented female wrestlers on the roster (Kharma isn’t included in this impromptu ranking as she’s still out of action), and though not quite on the same level, Layla is no slouch either. It’s not terribly often that I look forward to a Divas match, but this should be one to watch.

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan x2

This week’s ‘SmackDown’ opens with a rematch between World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus and his ‘Extreme Rules’ opponent Daniel Bryan. However, the match wasn’t able to come to its appropriate conclusion due to interference from No. 1 contender Alberto Del Rio, which caused Sheamus to pick up the win by disqualification. Afterward, ADR locked his signature armbar onto the Celtic Warrior.
    Thankfully, those who missed this past weekend’s ‘Extreme Rules’ won’t leave ‘SmackDown’ feeling cheated out of a Sheamus/Bryan match-up, as the two square off again in the evening’s main event. It’s not exactly a completely fair contest, as Del Rio also interferes here, but Sheamus still picks up the win, making it a good consolation prize for people who didn’t tune in this past Sunday night.

Default WWE ‘Monday Night Raw’ Recap – [5/7/12]

Johnny’s aces

I love John Laurinaitis, but that wasn’t always the case. At first I was frustrated by his inability to get through a promo without bumbling it all to hell, and I found his scratchy voice absolutely insufferable. But since first coming into WWE storylines during Punk’s awesome storyline last Summer, the guy has turned into a first-class villain, a type of heel authority figure that is totally different from Mr. McMahon, but no less effective. Instead of a sneering, irredeemable monster, Laurinaitis is a buzzword-spouting corporate shill, ineffective and largely clueless, but no less infuriating.

This week’s ‘Raw’ opened with the once and future Johnny Ace at his best, botching lines , rambling in front of booing crowds and making totally bogus proclamations. Among the highlights of his show opening promo were references to the legendary Dr. Death Steve Williams and photos of his time spent in Japan, with which Laurinaitis put himself over as “The Hulk Hogan of Japan,” which is sublimely ridiculous. Big Johnny’s promo was eventually interrupted by CM Punk, who proceeded to spit fire this week, reminding everyone how much we still desperately want to see him square off against the Executive Vice President of Talent Relationship.

Fantastic four

Coming in a close second as the Shitterson Match of the Night this week was Sheamus & Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio & Chris Jericho. It was a fantastic match, especially considering that it was a tag team affair featuring guys who don’t ever wrestle as tag teams. As a committed Jericoholic I’m probably a little biased, but I feel comfortable chalking up a large portion of this match’s success to Y2J himself. Though he emerged to a pretty sizable pop from the North Carolina audience, Jericho established himself as a reviled heel through his ringwork alone, injecting the match with a much-needed dose of storytelling and psychology.

The match ended with Jericho picking up the win over Sheamus after the Great White accidentally Brogue Kicked the bejeezus out of Randy Orton, which was a great way to reestablish Jericho as a threat after his back-to-back pay-per-view losses to CM Punk while also firmly inserting him into the World Heavyweight Title picture. After the match, Orton got up and RKOed Sheamus as revenge for the errant kick, which not only put him in contention for the Title as well, but also reminded audiences that the Viper can be a vicious dangerous guy. Given how defanged most of WWE’s faces are these days, it’s great to see Orton portrayed in this fashion.

Shortly after the contest, the upcoming World Heavyweight Title Match at ‘Over the Limit’ was changed to a Fatal Four-Way, with Jericho and Orton joining Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio in the match. If this week’s outing is any indication, we’ve got a hell of a fight to look forward to at the next pay-per-view.

A rival for the Funkasaurus? Awesome.

Typically, Brodus Clay comes out, dances, beats the hell out of a denizen of WWE’s lowest of cards, and dances again – that’s pretty much it. This week, however, saw his match prefaced with a promo from the Miz, in which the Awesome One regained much of the quivering anger that made him such an effective villain during his 2010-2011 WWE Title run.

The match itself was even pretty entertaining, as Miz’s skillset seemed to match up pretty well against that of the Funkasaurus. The Miz isn’t what you’d call a “technical” wrestler, but I like the fact that he fights like a guy who doesn’t really know a whole lot of moves. Yes, it’s a lot of kicks to the head and restholds, but what else is he supposed to do against a monster like Clay? I found it believable and more importantly, entertaining. I would have preferred to see Miz steal a victory to build a feud between the two, but having Miz angrily chase the Funkasaurus for a win could be almost as effective.

Paul E. Dangerously is back!

One of my favorite things about WWE the company is that all the bad blood, old history and hurt feelings in the world don’t amount to much of anything if there’s money to be made. The internet is chockablock of stories about Paul Heyman’s exit from the company, but when WWE needed a guy to come back and speak for the ECW mastermind’s former charge, Brock Lesnar, they went ahead and brought the former Paul E. Dangerously back in.

Though the North Carolina crowd was nowhere near as excited as I was, and CM Punk had already spoiled the surprise on Twitter, I was still delighted to see Heyman on WWE television. It’s well-documented what a uniquely talented guy Heyman is, and while I’d prefer to have Heyman-the-booker, I’ll happily take what I can get, as Heyman-the-talker is a pretty good consolation prize. This week saw him come out to a limited amount of excitement, and quickly turn it all into vicious heat, as he used his most irritating, nasally voice to outline Brock Lesnar’s disgust with WWE and its fans, and the star’s intentions to quit the company altogether. I loved the segment, but sincerely hope that neither Heyman nor Lesnar will be away from WWE television for too long.

The Shitterson Match of the Night

As soon as the night’s main event was announced as CM Punk vs. Lord Tensai, I knew it was a frontrunner for the Shitterson Match of the Night. Just last week I had been discussing with a friend how great it would be to see Punk square off against the man formerly known as Prince Albert, as the two both have unique, aggressive styles and I’m a ****er for a “Big guy vs. a smaller guy” match. So, imagine my excitement when the contest was changed to a handicap match, pitting Punk against not only my favorite faux Japanese wrestler, but also my favorite wrestler sans qualifier: Daniel Bryan.

The match didn’t disappoint. It wasn’t a technical clinic, but that’s not the only type of wrestling match I enjoy – I also dig watching two mean, calculating, vicious heels pick apart a heroic face. Is it sadistic schadenfreude? Maybe, but it’s also hell of effective storytelling. Everything about the match worked from me, from the frequent tags between the two villains, to Tensai’s unique offensive onslaught, to Bryan’s more conniving approach. And if you know anything about me, you know that I’ll pretty much always pop for some well-executed Asian Mist. Tensai & Bryan are pretty damn close to my new favorite tag team, I just wish Bryan wouldn’t do the Diving Headbutt – nobody needs to run around asking for concussions

WWE Smackdown 11 May 2012

WWE Raw 14th May 2012

WWE Friday Night Smackdown 5/18/12

John Cena vs. John Laurinaitis

WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan

World Heavyweight Championship Fatal 4-Way Match

WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston & R-Truth vs. Jack Swagger & Dolph Ziggler

WWE Divas Champion Layla vs. Beth Phoenix

Zack Ryder vs. Kane

WWE MONEY IN THE BANK 2012 RESULTS

WWE Tag Team Champions R-Truth and Kofi Kingston def. Hunico and Camacho - Live Stream Pre-Show Match
    Dolph Ziggler won the Money in the Bank Ladder Match for a World Heavyweight Championship Contract
    The Miz announced he would be in the night's Money in the Bank Ladder Match for a WWE Championship Contract
    World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus def. Alberto Del Rio
    Epico and Primo def. The Prime Time Players
    WWE Champion CM Punk def. Daniel Bryan (AJ as special guest referee)
    Ryback def. Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks - 2-on-1 Handicap Match
    Divas Champion Layla, Kaitlyn and Tamina def. Eve, Beth Phoenix and Natalya
    John Cena won the Money in the Bank Ladder Match for a WWE Championship Contract