Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Everything you want to know about Contraceptives

The Pill

Another common form of contraception is the birth-control pill. There are several types of birth-control pills, available by a physician's prescription only. Most common is the combination pill (which employs a combination of different

hormones). This type of birth-control pill works by inhibiting the development of the egg in a woman's ovary. In other words, the ovaries remain somewhat inactive, which is similar to how a woman's body behaves when she is pregnant.
    Birth-control pills are the most effective form of birth control (aside from abstinence) and are used by millions and millions of women throughout the world. However, the pill does not offer protection against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), which leaves many women at risk for HIV and other diseases like herpes. Furthermore, the dangers of taking the pill (such as heart attack, stroke, or embolism—a sudden obstruction in a blood vessel) can be intensified by family and personal health histories and lifestyle. (It is advised that smokers over the age of thirty-five should not take the pill.) Always discuss possible side effects with a doctor. Most experts agree, however, that the possible dangers involved with an actual pregnancy and delivery outweigh the possible dangers presented by the pill. For most people, in consultation with a doctor, the pill is considered safe.
    Some women have other issues with the pill, including nausea from the increased hormones, weight gain, irritability, migraines, depression, and a reduced sexual desire. These side effects usually decrease after a few monthly cycles of taking the pill. As with any prescription product, some have a great deal of difficulty with the pill while others experience no difficulty at all.
    There are many pros and cons to taking birth-control pills, and these should be weighed carefully against a woman's lifestyle and health before deciding to use them.

Diaphragm

A diaphragm is a soft, round, rubber cup that fits over the cervix. It works by keeping the sperm out of the uterus. A doctor must measure a woman's cervix and prescribe the proper size diaphragm for her.
    Diaphragms are used in conjunction with spermicidal jelly and are inserted thirty minutes prior to intercourse. The diaphragm must be left in place for several hours afterward. Many women enjoy diaphragms as they offer the freedom that is similar to pill usage. However, some women find diaphragms to be messy (because of the spermicide) and difficult to insert. Furthermore, the effectiveness rate is not as high as that of the pill and, unlike the condom, diaphragms offer no protection against STDs and HIV.

Cervical Cap

A cervical cap looks like a thimble with a rim. It fits over the cervix just like a thimble fits over a finger. It comes in four different sizes, and must be fitted to the user by a doctor. The cervical cap works as a diaphragm does, blocking the cervix.

Drawbacks to the cap are that it does not allow free flow of cervical fluid, which can lead to odor and infection in certain wearers. Also, like the diaphragm, the cervical cap can be difficult to insert and remove and it offers no protection against STDs, including HIV.

Intrauterine Device

Intrauterine devices (IUDs) are small devices placed in the uterus to prevent pregnancy. Though it is not known how IUDs work precisely, it is believed that they prevent fertilization. Usually comprised of plastic (copper IUDs are no longer common), most contain a synthetic hormone, often progesterone, that helps prevent pregnancy if the IUD exists in the body at a constant rate throughout a woman's entire cycle. IUDs are decreasing in popularity and are controversial as they have been known to affect fertility (the ability to become pregnant) and cause other health problems, such as rejection of the device by the body and damage to the uterus. Another drawback to IUDs is that they must be implanted and removed by a physician. Furthermore, IUDs offer no protection against STDs and HIV.

Norplant

Norplant is a contraceptive device that involves a set of thin, match-size capsules containing hormones that are implanted just under the skin of a woman's upper arm. Effective for approximately five years, Norplant has a high success rate in preventing pregnancy. Since it is implanted in the woman's arm, the woman is protected twenty-four hours a day and there is no chance of forgetting birth control (as with the pill, condoms, or the diaphragm). However, it offers no protection against HIV and other STDs; further, Norplant has many risks associated with its use, including irregular menstruation, headaches, weight gain or loss, benign (noncancerous) ovarian cysts, depression, and acne. Smokers or women with a history of certain health problems should not use it. Finally, Norplant is a very costly method of birth control

..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post

Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs): As the name suggests, they should be taken only in times of emergency and cannot replace OCPs. The current treatment schedule is one dose within 72 hours after unprotected intercourse, and a second dose 12 hours after the first dose. ECP should be taken as soon after unprotected intercourse as is practical.

This info is both Wrong and inadiquate.

1. The pill MUST be taken within 24 hours for a 98% effective result. If one is taken close to 72 hours later, there are only 48 % chances of effective results. This is VITAL information.

2. No second pill needs to be taken at all. This is the first time I have heard of it. This is wrong info.

Please make the necessary changes.

G'day
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

~ cavalier ~ ♀ ☣ )o( ⌆ Lieutenant-Colonel Lisbonstar28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post

Tubectomy or Vasectomy

Tubectomy or vasectomy is the safest option once you have achieved the desired family size. But the procedure is largely irreversible. These procedures are usually done after the family is complete. In rare cases, even after a tubectomy, the sperm can find its way inside and lead to a complicated pregnancy. That makes vasectomy a better method of contraception.

Tubal Sterilization or Tubectomy is a permanent method of contraception where the fallopian tubes are blocked so that the ova or eggs are prevented from traveling to the uterus from the ovary.

During a vasectomy, the vas deferens from each testicle is clamped, cut, or otherwise sealed. This prevents sperm from mixing with the semen. A vasectomy is a permanent method of birth control. Only consider this method when you are sure that you do not want to have a child in the future.

Ahem, had a vasectomy several weeks ago and my advice to guy's is consider it carefully, don't make the decision in haste. I kind of regret it. Though there's no side effects, it does leave you feeling as if you have lost something important. Make sure you have counselling beforehand and sleep on the idea for a few months before deciding.
    So may it be

New Born

Dear Preeto Mam,
    My Girlfriend and I had sex on the 28th morning at around 9 PM. We used a condom but later realised that it had broken. But not at the tip where the semen is collected. Near the top where the elastic is rolled. Like just below the rolled up condom, at the time of use. I dint even come inside her. Her next periods are expected on the 10th of the next month. She took an ipill on the 30th by around 8 PM, that is around 60 jours after the suxual act. But has not yet had any blood discharge. The last time she took an ipill within 3 hours of the act, she had little blood loss. Hence it not occuring this time is making us nervous. Should we worry? And was the pill needed in the first place?

New Born

Megadrox - I had no sex drive, my energy levels were depleted, my concentration was non-existent, and I had no drive or ambition for anything. I knew I was going to possess to require action to reverse this sorry state of affairs, as a 32 year recent man I wasn't prepared to lay down and tolerate being an recent man nonetheless! >> http://www.supplement2go.com/megadrox/

New Born

interesting indeed

New Born

Default Happy Christmas

http://froheweihnachtenneujahr2017.de/
    http://www.froheweihnachtsbilder2016.com/
    Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

New Born

http://froheweihnachtenneujahr2017.de/
    http://www.froheweihnachtsbilder2016.com/
    Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

SB MahaGuru Colonel

excellent info ...................