Thread: Facebook rival MillatFacebook launched in Pakistan

SB Spearhead Field Marshal Rocky-10's Avatar

Lightbulb Facebook rival MillatFacebook launched in Pakistan

Six young IT experts in the city of Lahore have set up MillatFacebook – using the Urdu word for nation – which they hope will become a hub for Muslims around the world.

Omar Zaheer Meer, one of the founders, said the site was launched on Wednesday and had already attracted 8,000 users.

The aim, he said, was to register their disapproval of the images of the Muslim prophet and to offer an alternative to a site that has also been criticised for its lax and confusing privacy controls.

"We are saying that we are technologically independent and that you can't make money from us and then not respect our views," he said.

Thousands of people in Pakistan have demonstrated against the US-based social networking site for hosting a contest calling for cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

The country's courts ordered internet service providers to block the social networking site last week, along with others that featured sacrilegious content. YouTube, Wikipedia and hundreds of other pages have all been subject to temporary bans.

Muslims argue that any representation of the Prophet Mohammed is blasphemous.

The Facebook ban has led Pakistanis to find alternative ways of keeping in touch with friends.

Many have joined other social networking sites - Rehman Malik, the country's interior minister, has even signed up to twitter. Others have found proxy servers that get around censors and allow access to Facebook

MillatFacebook's designers hope the site will attract people of all faith, and admit it shares some of the same features as its better-known template. In fact, from the blue navigation panel to the map of the world, the login page bears a remarkable similarity to Facebook.

"Millatfacebook is Pakistan's very own, first social networking site. A site for Muslims by Muslims where sweet people of other religions are also welcome," the website tells people interested in signing up.

However, tech reviews in the local media have criticised its homemade feel.

The Express Tribune said: "The quality of user experience is so abysmal that it does not merit the humble title, 'Facebook clone.'"

But its technological shortcomings do not seem to have deterred web-literate young Pakistanis.

Rana Adeel, a 21-year-old law student in Lahore, signed up after receiving invitations via SMS and email from friends.

"In two days, I got more than seven friends. If the Facebook ban is lifted, I'll keep networking on both," she said.

Lucky is the man who is the first love of a woman,
    but luckier is the woman who is the last love of a man.

Let's Kill Enemies Field Marshal sweetooo.baba's Avatar

Great Work.....
    Best Line Written in front of a masjid in New york

''Always believe in God,bcoz some questions in grave that cannot be answered by Google''

New Born

Gud initiative

Let's Kill Enemies Field Marshal sweetooo.baba's Avatar

millatfacebook ROCK's ............

68704 Members Already registered......

Keep it up Guyz
    Best Line Written in front of a masjid in New york

''Always believe in God,bcoz some questions in grave that cannot be answered by Google''

SB Champion Lieutenant BINDAS BADSHAH's Avatar

Thumbs up Seedhi Baat

gud initiative lets tell them v have a reply for them... but appearence should be changed...I think

Gud initiative but poor copy of facebook

try something original

gud....thnx for d info

Banned Captain

pakistan is still authoritative n dis is against democracy...it shud b upto users 2 decide whether they need facebook a/c or delete dem...i wonder y it was created even...60 yrs n all its ppl hv got is one dictatorship after other overthrowin democracy time n time again...plus obeyin' american presidents like masters!!!
    i feel pity 4 ppl dere...just bcoz off a few fundamentalist politicians workin against d will of ppl...whole pakistan is treated as a bad influence on d world...guess sumday rite attitude n a modern political class vl take d country 2 new heights!
    poor decision & its nothin 2 b proud off...aftr all its just a copy off facebuk...wat ya ppl wanna show...faceboook has got millions of users worldwide...68704 members already!!!? wats d big deal...huh!!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by ENIGMA_BOY View Post
    pakistan is still authoritative n dis is against democracy...it shud b upto users 2 decide whether they need facebook a/c or delete dem...i wonder y it was created even...60 yrs n all its ppl hv got is one dictatorship after other overthrowin democracy time n time again...plus obeyin' american presidents like masters!!!
    i feel pity 4 ppl dere...just bcoz off a few fundamentalist politicians workin against d will of ppl...whole pakistan is treated as a bad influence on d world...guess sumday rite attitude n a modern political class vl take d country 2 new heights!
    poor decision & its nothin 2 b proud off...aftr all its just a copy off facebuk...wat ya ppl wanna show...faceboook has got millions of users worldwide...68704 members already!!!? wats d big deal...huh!!!!?

100 % agree with u

● Positive & Inspired ● Major Singh_king's Avatar

Smile

What if someone posted cartoons there as well....But a great business opportunity I may say...Hats off to those guys...
    ● A Man is but the product of his thoughts, what he thinks he becomes ●

New Born

This is fcukin hilarious .

I mean look at their audacity. A rival to facebook.

Awesome, just awesome.

New Born

Default Congrats to Millatfacebook on 300,000 members in 13 days

facebook is in touble

Its right time to get rid of facebook and as per my observation, millatfacebook got pretty good features then time waste machine "Facebook".

I would lik to talk about "SHOUTBOX" , v nice feature to chillout

cheers to MFB team

teekhi jammu chilli Major General arumita's Avatar

good work ..............
    My love, the spark that ignited the day we met
    remains an eternal flame.

SB ICON Major General rikkuartz's Avatar

cool......a site for them interact
    Please reload this page to view signature.