Thread: Cell Phones Are Much Dirtier Than Public Restroom Toilet Handles

Sa'aB™ Field Marshal DesiCasanova's Avatar

Default Cell Phones Are Much Dirtier Than Public Restroom Toilet Handles

Cell Phones Are Much Dirtier Than Public Restroom Toilet Handles

Mobile phones are encrusted with considerably more living bacteria than the flusher handle in a public bathroom.

This was the finding of the British consumer group Which after testing 30 cell phones for environmental bacteria. Seven of the phones had bacterial levels that exceeded those recommended by health authorities. One was so infested it could give anyone who used it an upset stomach.

In general, the elevated levels of bacteria found on cell phones aren't immediately harmful, but can act as breeding ground for more serious germs. Cleaning your phone with an alcohol wipe should sufficiently detoxify it.

We've attached a picture of Courtney Love's cell phone. Given these findings, it's probably the most bacteria-laden object in the world.

It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, I feel good, and no one's gonna stop me now

The average mobile phone carries 18 times more potentially harmful germs than a flush handle in a men's toilet, tests have revealed.

Hygiene expert Jim Francis, who carried out the tests, said, "The levels of potentially harmful bacteria on one mobile were off the scale. That phone needs sterilising."

The most unhygienic phone also had 39 times the safe level of enterobacteria, a group of bacteria that live in the lower intestines of humans and animals and include bugs such as salmonella.

It boasted 170 times the acceptable level of faecal coliforms, which are associated with human waste.

Other bacteria including food poisoning bugs e.coli and staphylococcus aureus were found on the phones but at safe levels.

"What this shows is how easy it is to come into contact with bacteria. People see toilet flushes as being something dirty to touch but they have less bacteria than phones.

"People need to be mindful of that by observing good hygiene themselves and among others who they pass the phone to when looking at photos, for example."

It has previously found that some computer keyboards carry more harmful bacteria than a lavatory seat.

It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, I feel good, and no one's gonna stop me now

End of Thread
    Post your replies & comments