Thread: Feel shy to tie Saree Below Navel

New Born

Question Feel shy to tie Saree Below Navel

Dear mam,
    I have been following your comments for a long time.
    pls help me in this problem...

Iam 22, Iam basically from a small town in south India and from a traditional and conservative family.
    Iam married to a guy in a city.I work in a private concern.
    my problem is
    I always wear my saree above my navel.
    But my husband insists me to wear saree below my navel as, if I wear
    saree above my navel I seem to look like a village girl for him.

But I feel shy and I think if i wear saree below navel it looks vulgar.
    Even if i wear above my navel he gently scolds me, tells me often that Iam a villager.

then one day I was wearing my saree below my navel,my mom came...
    she scolded me and asked me to be like a family girl and not to expose my navel..

But my husband said that old people will always be like that and be contemporary...
    Whom's word should I follow? my mom or my husband?

Is wearing saree below navel ok for a traditional south Indian girl?..
    Do exposing navel in public gives a bad impression over my personality, is it vulgarity?

Even then if I follow my husband's words... I really feel shy to expose my navel in public..
    Actually my navel looks good and my build is quite slim...

But what should I do to overcome my shyness if I can wear saree below my navel?..
    Please help mam..

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hmmm...OK, the only thing that you actually need yuo do is to change your mindset that you will not be 'good' or traditional if you tie your sari low. See, you can tie it low but keep the front covered...thats quite easy to do, no? So, it will look nice but you wont be exposing anything at all....
    When your mom or some elder visits, you can be a bit more conservative. Practice first at home and when you are with your husband, and later on you can start wearing it lower, if you are comfortable, OK?

New Born

saree is such an invention which drapes the vulgarity in you....what you have got here is a dilemma regarding to whom you should pledge allegiance...wearing a saree below navel is nothing vulgar but if you are introvert...u must avoid it...otherwise, its just fine.

New Born

I think you should give more importance to your husband's wish,especially when your mom isnt around.Also you you can make your mom understand that your husband wishes you be that way.....

ACTUALLY IN TODAY'S WORLD AFTER SO MUCH HYPE OF BEAUTY EVENTS AND THE EFECT OF CINEMA ,THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE SOBER AND WANTS TO LIVE WITH TRADITIONS AND CUSTOMS ARE CALLED BACKWARDS ,IF THEY ARE TIMID AND SHY THEY ARE CALLED (GANWAR ) OR WHAT YOU HAVE SAID VILLAGER .WHETHER TO EXPOSE YOUR BODY PARTS IS MODERN THING AND TO COVER YOUR BODY IS VILLAGER THING, YOU JUST TELL ME WHOSE JOB IS TO ATTRACT PEOPLE BY EXPOSING YOUR BODY PARTS .mY QUESTION MAY LOOK VERY RIDICULOUS BUT THINK OVER IT .
    BUT HERE I MUST SAY THAT IT IS NOT EASY TO CHANGE ONE'S MIND SET SO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO CHANGE OTHER PERSON WE HAVE TO CHANGE OURSELVES ,What Preeto mam has said you can follow that even after draping saree below navel you can cover yourself in such manner that no body part is visible So in this manner you will remain traditional and can fulfill your husbands desire also.

Moderator Major General galaxy_resident's Avatar

Do it as your husband wishes except when your mom and dad are around. They seem to be of the orthodox views. Let them be that way; no need to argue with them. Exposing your Navel is not vulgarity. Many women do it. But keep in mind it not to do anything to the limits of vulgarity.

New Born

Default Do It the Way You are Comfortable With

i know adapting to change is important but not in this case, You should dress up according to your own comfort, If your husband likes saree below navel he can wear it that way

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel

start slowly by tying and moving it below navel slowly.....

its difficult to change overnight from what you have been brought up with since childhood and make your husband understand that...

but at the same time start tying it lower gradually as you get comfortable with it... if it makes you self conscious hold the pallu in a way that it does not expose your belly in public..

try experimenting with the longer length of the blouse when you tie your sari below navel... you might feel less exposed more comfortable and yet if the blouse is stitched and fits well it will look quite fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Lucifer View Post
    saree is such an invention which drapes the vulgarity in you....what you have got here is a dilemma regarding to whom you should pledge allegiance...wearing a saree below navel is nothing vulgar but if you are introvert...u must avoid it...otherwise, its just fine.
    in this modern age of world....when girl wish to show their body more and more. why r u so much afraid and also it is sign of a citizen girl .