Thread: Who should open for India in Durban Test?

Default Who should open for India in Durban Test?

India selectors have revealed they may make changes to the opening batting slots for the second Test against South Africa in Durban on 26 December.

India won by 123 runs to seal their first Test win on South African soil but Wasim Jaffer and Virender Sehwag made only 50 runs between them.
    Chairman of Selectors Dilip Vengsarkar confirmed: "I think the opening slots are there for grabs. "There are some players who are vying for the slot." India have used seven different opening combinations since January 2005.

The think-tank is, however, quite tempted to effect one more change: a left-hander right at the top. The basic plan behind the thought is to unsettle the South African bowlers who had clearly lost their rhythm whenever Sourav Ganguly came in to make it a left-right combination.

One of their options is Gautam Gambhir, the 25-year-old left-hander who averages a modest 36 from his 13 Tests but has provided a useful foil for Sehwag.

"It would be great to have a left-hander at the top of the order," said Vengsarkar. "But then there's lot of merit in sticking to a winning combination," he added. "We also have to remember that Gautam Gambhir hasn't yet played a single game on the tour. It won't be fair to ask him to straightaway bat here."

Administrator Lieutenant

Default Sehwag-Gautam

As Waseem Jafar has been out of form, I beleive Gautam Gambhir should ideally open with Sehwag. Sehwag is due for runs and I don't think selectors will give him many chances. Rahul should come at 3 followed by Sachin at 4. Laxman at 5 and Ganguly at 6. In no way Ganguly should open at SA bouncy pitches facing a new ball.

Pathan's bad patch has deprived India from a all-rounder and Indian tail looks rather week. Kumble is known to spend some time on crease and he is unable to face SA pacers. VRV Singh looked really promising and he is indeed a sweet timer of the ball. I believe he should ahead of Srisanth. The boy can hit really hard. He is a real eye candy for Test matches. I hope he continues to trouble SA (if at all he makes a comeback as a bowler).

SB Champion jamazmi@rediffmail.com's Avatar

Sarkar aur admin cricket khelne nikale. Goodluck. Everyone will be a flop on bouncy wicket.