Thread: Shall I demand share in property?

Unregistered

Default Shall I demand share in property?

I am in mess of thoughts after demise of my parents. We are seven brothers and sisters. I alongwith my five sisters are well settled and my elder brother is hand to mouth. My parents lived with him. Now, after death of my mother, my brother wants to sell the property. Though, I understand We all brothers and sisters have equal rights in that property, but I believe that my all five sisters will release their shares in that property in favour of my elder brother, as he is really hand to mouth. I believe same is the impression of my elder brother that his sisters would release their shares. But as far as mine is concerned, I also believe that I should release but my wife is against it. Practically, she is right but I am afraid that as and when I demanded my share or raised any objection, my relations with my sisters and elder brother may get ruined, which are normal and cordial as of now. On the other hand, if I release my share, I am afraid there may be tension in my home.

Perhaps, the reason behind my wife's compelling me to demand my share is that she wants my brother to realise that I can release my share, but on demand, not on mere understanding.

Please suggest me the real advise to cope up with these situation.

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hi!

Listen, there comes a time in life when we must go with what we believe and not what is convincing and easy. though i understand your situation, but it seems that fundamentally you want to allow your brother the property. Now, if you do it gracefully, that will be good. if you don't then you will have to bear the brunt of the family ganging up against you and creating situations.

In any case, you will get only 1/7th portion, won't you? And it appears that won't make a huge difference to you anyway...so think about what you really want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am in mess of thoughts after demise of my parents. We are seven brothers and sisters. I alongwith my five sisters are well settled and my elder brother is hand to mouth. My parents lived with him. Now, after death of my mother, my brother wants to sell the property. Though, I understand We all brothers and sisters have equal rights in that property, but I believe that my all five sisters will release their shares in that property in favour of my elder brother, as he is really hand to mouth. I believe same is the impression of my elder brother that his sisters would release their shares. But as far as mine is concerned, I also believe that I should release but my wife is against it. Practically, she is right but I am afraid that as and when I demanded my share or raised any objection, my relations with my sisters and elder brother may get ruined, which are normal and cordial as of now. On the other hand, if I release my share, I am afraid there may be tension in my home.

Perhaps, the reason behind my wife's compelling me to demand my share is that she wants my brother to realise that I can release my share, but on demand, not on mere understanding.

Ok...reality check....

U believe that ur brother really needs ur share of the property, OR 1/7th of it.......and u shud give that to ur bro....??
    U think...that ur sister's will also give up their share...
    U are faced with the trouble of taking the decision n afraid of the reactions that might occur when u tell them...right??

Ok!....If ur mom died now....is ur dad alive??
    Is there a will.....involved??....Did ur mom speak to her lawyer n stuff??
    Besides how do u not know that ur mom hasn't willed the entire property to ur bro already!!....
    Which of course is but natural as HE has been the one who's taken care of ur parents right??....

So why sour ur relation with ur family.....for just 1/7th of the property!!....I think u'll be better of explainin to ur wife.....that there's "UR mom's will" that has given away the entire thing to ur bro.....!!
    Case closed!!
    Back again!! Missed all u guys.

Moderator Major General galaxy_resident's Avatar

Man, 1/7 th of the property will, I believe, not make much of a difference. So, if you gave that to your brother, it won't mean loss to you. Try explaining this to your wife that you are getting a speck of the total land and keeping that to you will do no good.
    The problem with internet quotes is that you can't trust their authenticity.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Everybody has equal share and you are taking only your share. There is nothing wrong in it. Your brother has his share to play with..

New Born

Ya u have a share, which is ur right anyway.
    And no need to give it up, coz already many of ur brothers are giving it up to help ur other brother. Too much unnecessary help will spoil him

There is no need to deman anything, its ur right...u deserve one share.
    THis is only taking whats yours..dont feel guilty

It will automatically come to you according ot ur fathers/mothers will. There is no necessity to do anything. Just dont do anything wrong like giving it up etc.. thats all u gotta do

Parents make wealth and assets so that their children can make use of it when they grow up. Its like a back up for their children and u are entitled to it
    If u discard it, it will be hurting ur parents wishes..

..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar

Come on mate, What are you..? A Puppet..?

Do what "You" feel is correct. The final few lines explain the thinking process of your Wife. She is obsessed with the desire to be followed and recognized. What difference would it make if you choose "Understanding" your brother over "Demand" ..?

What I believe here is that if "5" of your sisters are in favour of your Brother then there must be some very good reason for it. Also, I believe you too wanna be in his favour but are afraid of your Wife's reaction.

My Advice....? Release the share to your brother without him asking for it.

G'day
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

Your other brothers are giving ur younger brothr enough support. That will be sufficient for him i guess.
    May be u can keep ur share to urself, and use it to help him later when needed. He might waste away all that is got very soon and will be left with nothing later, and in that situation u can come to his rescue.

I can understand your problem. You want that share but u are worried, u will be the odd one out if you dont give it ur younger brother like others did, and everybody will think bad about you.
    They might or might not say things.. dont worry about that. You should get it, if there is anywish like that in ur mind.

There is a saying in Hindi " 3 cheez jo bhai-bhai me ladai lagwa de - Jar, Joru aur Jameen". Going by that what is more important for you - Your brother or 1/7 of the share?

You are well settled so try and help your brother. The same blood runs in you. Your wife is only stirring you up which will lead to tarnished relations with your brother and the rest of your family.

Cash is not worth it, unless you were desperate (which you are not!). So think about your brother!

UR borthers and sisters are doing a great thing no doubt. But they may be having other sources of income and probably they are well settled. Is it same case with you? Otherwise you shouldnt do like that... becasue a squirrel shouldnt try to imitate what an elephant does

Does this share constitute a big fortune? or is it a small share? If its first, then surely ur other brohters will be having same, and when they give it to ur younger brother, he will be having a very good asset.
    If this is a small fortune, u should also donate it to ur younger brother provided your current family financial condition is safe..
    Otherwise u can use this for ur own good for the time being and then later help ur younger brother when he is in need