Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 47% of young Indian women marry before 18

  1. #1
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default 47% of young Indian women marry before 18

    MUMBAI: That India marries off its daughters in such a hurry that they have little time to grow out of their teens is a fact that no longer raises eyebrows. But what should come as a shock to a country that preens itself over its growing economic prowess is that we fare worse than sub-Saharan Africa, or for that matter, all of Africa put together, when it comes to child marriage.

    If that's not bad enough, sample this. The degree to which child marriage is practised in India is more than double the figure for Pakistan, a country we don't quite look up to as a role model. While India would like to believe that it will one day break into the league of countries such as the US and UK, we can take solace from the fact that a worldwide scorecard on child marriage shows that we're better off than Bangladesh, Mali and Burkina Faso.

    The US and UK dont even figure on the list.

    A 2011 data sheet called `The World's Women and Girls', released by the Washington-based Population Reference Bureau, shows that 47% of women in India between the ages of 20 and 24 were married by 18. This is higher than the average for South Central Asia (45%), of which India is a part. The average for Africa as a continent works out to 34%.

    Most African countries fare better than India, including Ghana, Sudan and Nigeria. While Pakistan's score works out to 24%, even Afghanistan, with a pathetic score of 43%, does a better job than India when it comes to curbing child marriage.

    Vibhuti Patel, director, post graduate studies and research (PGSR) and head of the PG economics department at SNDT University, who was an early advocate of India's feminist movement, points to the rather strange link between child marriage and the success of some of India's welfare schemes such as the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA).

    SSA helps schoolgirls till Class IV, after which there are a large number of dropouts and ICDS children in the age group of 0-6. As a result adolescent girls, who mostly drop out after Class VII as they can't cope up with math, science and English, don't have to look after their younger siblings. ``In the absence of any programmes targeting adolescent girls in terms of vocational training or life-skill development by the state or by civil society groups, many parents are worried that these girls, who are now free of responsibility and have a lot of time on their hands, may end up in premarital relationships and turn unwed mothers,'' she said.

    That's why parents in even progressive states like Gujarat and Maharashtra marry off their daughters at an early age, said Patel.

    Pointing to the health consequences of child marriage, P Arokiasamy of the International Institute of Population Science, Mumbai, says child marriage has much to do with the low status of women in India.

    Arokiasamy says the practice has more to do with culture than development. Sex ratio in Africa is better than India since several tribal societies are matriarchal.

    In India, regions where the status of women is low, such as Rajasthan, Bihar and Jharkhand, have more child marriages. Even in Andhra Pradesh, which has a low fertility rate, a large proportion of women are married in their teens.

    Meanwhile, states like Himachal Pradesh, Goa and Jammu and Kashmir fare a lot better.


  2. #2
    mallik!! Major avdhut123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maharashtra
    Posts
    4,650
    Rep Power
    73

    Default

    horrible...............

  3. #3
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Shameful statistics :
    Region------------------% of women ages 20-24 married by age 18

    South Central Asia (of which India is a part)---45

    Africa------------------------ --------------------------34

    Sub-Saharan Africa----------------------------------38

    Northern Africa--------------------------------------17

    Western Africa---------------------------------------42

    Eastern Africa----------------------------------------41

    Middle Africa----------------------------------------42

    Southern Africa---------------------------------------6

    Central America-------------------------------------27

    Caribbean---------------------------------------------30

    South America---------------------------------------23

    Western Asia-----------------------------------------18

    South East Asia--------------------------------------18



  4. #4
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Country------------------% of women ages 20-24 married by age 18

    Mongolia-------------------9

    Sri Lanka------------------12

    Azerbaijan----------------12

    Egypt-----------------------17

    Peru------------------------19

    Palestinian Territory----19

    Thailand-------------------20

    Solomon Islands---------22

    Pakistan-------------------24

    Brazil----------------------24

    Ghana---------------------25

    Mexico--------------------25

    Kenya--------------------26

    Yemen------------------32

    Zimbabwe--------------34

    Sudan-------------------34

    Guatemala-------------35

    Nigeria-----------------39

    Afghanistan-----------43

    India--------------------47

    Burkina Faso----------48

    Nepal-------------------51

    Bangladesh------------66

    Mali---------------------71


  5. #5
    ♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ★♥»★«♥★
    Posts
    103,294
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

  6. #6
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default





  7. #7
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default


    Last edited by murtazas; 10-05-2011 at 01:39 PM.

  8. #8
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default



  9. #9
    HALLA BOL Field Marshal amitsush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    satna
    Posts
    83,321
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    i don't believe on this stupid survey , bahut hi rare case milte ab baal vivaah ke
    I WILL LOOK FOR U
    I WILL FIND U AND
    I WILL BAN U


  10. #10
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

  11. #11
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amitsush View Post
    i don't believe on this stupid survey , bahut hi rare case milte ab baal vivaah ke
    survey ka toh pata nahi. Lekin aaj bhi yeh pratha zinda hai...bahut zaroori hai isse mitana..

  12. #12
    SB Champion Lieutenant excel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murtazas View Post
    [SIZE=4]MUMBAI:

    Vibhuti Patel, director, post graduate studies and research (PGSR) and head of the PG economics department at SNDT University, who was an early advocate of India's feminist movement, points to the rather strange link between child marriage and the success of some of India's welfare schemes such as the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA).

    SSA helps schoolgirls till Class IV, after which there are a large number of dropouts and ICDS children in the age group of 0-6. As a result adolescent girls, who mostly drop out after Class VII as they can't cope up with math, science and English, don't have to look after their younger siblings. ``In the absence of any programmes targeting adolescent girls in terms of vocational training or life-skill development by the state or by civil society groups, many parents are worried that these girls, who are now free of responsibility and have a lot of time on their hands, may end up in premarital relationships and turn unwed mothers,'' she said.

    That's why parents in even progressive states like Gujarat and Maharashtra marry off their daughters at an early age, said Patel.
    mebbe they should start vocational programs too..
    Last edited by excel01; 10-05-2011 at 05:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Hum Banarasi.......... Colonel Ankhi_sena_mun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dheer sameere, Tatini Teere....
    Posts
    14,422
    Rep Power
    100

    Unhappy

    Thank you putting this post.....
    As far as I know this data is pretty true for most small towns and villages....
    and the funny part is the slightly uneducated people in large cities like Delhi will get their sons (mostly unemployed and younger than 22-24) married against a large dowry (they live in Big city..) with a underage girl from a remote village and do gauna immediately (no voice against bullying. She is too unused to Big cities and young) but they will marry their daughters in the city and wait till they are older for gauna... "Balika Vadhu" anyone....

    for people who haven't seen "balika vadhu" or do not know... most North Indian families get their children married very early.. as early as they can but the married life in the groom's house only starts after the ritual of gauna or vidaai... the age of this is mutually decided by the two families....

    it would be interesting to know if the survey recorded the age of gauna or the age at which the first child was born too.....

  14. #14
    The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    9,344
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankhi_sena_mun View Post
    Thank you putting this post.....
    As far as I know this data is pretty true for most small towns and villages....
    and the funny part is the slightly uneducated people in large cities like Delhi will get their sons (mostly unemployed and younger than 22-24) married against a large dowry (they live in Big city..) with a underage girl from a remote village and do gauna immediately (no voice against bullying. She is too unused to Big cities and young) but they will marry their daughters in the city and wait till they are older for gauna... "Balika Vadhu" anyone....

    for people who haven't seen "balika vadhu" or do not know... most North Indian families get their children married very early.. as early as they can but the married life in the groom's house only starts after the ritual of gauna or vidaai... the age of this is mutually decided by the two families....

    it would be interesting to know if the survey recorded the age of gauna or the age at which the first child was born too.....
    Yup..its showing on balika vadhu.. this system is every where in India specially on rural areas..

Similar Threads

  1. Only 15% Indian women are overweight: Study
    By Simran4u in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-11-2010, 08:47 PM
  2. Things that women should learn from men
    By rocky1976 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
  3. Virginity and Sexual Development
    By funny bone in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  4. In a Perfect World, Women and Men ...Domestic Violence
    By nightmare_harry583 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •