Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 63rd FESTIVAL de CANNES FROM 11-22 MAY 2011

Thumbs up 63rd FESTIVAL de CANNES FROM 11-22 MAY 2011

SB MahaGuru Colonel Chikoo.RocKstar's Avatar

Thumbs up 63rd FESTIVAL de CANNES-FRANCE FROM 11-22 MAY 2011

Official poster

About the Festival

Here we are again in May 2011 for a new edition of the Cannes Film Festival. The story continues, the story begins, the story is invented and re-invented every year and at the same time, the festival team and the city of Cannes prepare to greet artists and professionals from around the world. With, shall we say, love, appetite and impatience.
    For it seems that floating on the Croisette is a scent of lightness, desire and peace. If each edition has a particular mood, 2011 is already, even before the first screen lights up, very exciting. Why, how and when does public opinion decides that "Cannes will be great this year"? It's a mystery ... and rightly so. Consider what is required: the enthusiasm of the press at the announcement of the selection on April 14th, the arrival of the greatest filmmakers, actors and other film artists, the massive return of professionals, film-buffs, and a vibrant Film Market. As to the weather, unless our favorite Icelandic volcano acts alone over the skies of Europe, we have done everything to make it perfect.
    This year, Cannes has installed a little innovation here and there: As a guest, Egyptian film culture, home of great cinema, has signaled to the world their desire for democracy and freedom and like Tunisia, which will is also present, shows how cinema moves to the rhythm of world events; a feast of selections for film crews to meet each other rather than in competition or rivalry, or the stress of an audience’s reaction; Jean-Paul Belmondo, back in Cannes to receive an ovation from the world of cinema; a Palme d'Or of Honor awarded at the opening ceremony to Bernardo Bertolucci from the Jury President Robert De Niro, as his actor in 1900, will look on with fondness.
    Between Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris at the opening of the festival and The Beloved by Christophe Honore closing, Cannes will deploy its charm, its mysteries and traditions: fifty films in the Official Selection, dozens of guests every day, hundreds of screenings, thousands of film-buffs. The Carnival of Animals too, by Camille Saint-Saens. We never tire of it either. Music!

Thierry Frémaux

11th May

NEWS:

Opening Ceremony of the 64th Festival de Cannes

Robert de Niro

"Declaro il Festivale di Cannes aperto. I declare the Festival de Cannes open." This year, the Festival de Cannes was opened by Bernardo Bertolucci. The Italian Director was awarded an honorary Palme d'or by Gilles Jacob, in the presence of the Jury and the Mistress of Ceremonies, Mélanie Laurent.

"I stand before you tonight, and seen from here, the cinema is a magical thing." With these words Mélanie Laurent welcomed the Jury presided by Robert de Niro onto the stage of the Grand Théâtre Lumière. At his side, actresses Uma Thurman and Martina Gusman, Hong Kong producer Nansun Shi, the writer Linn Ulmann, Jude Law and directors Johnnie To, Olivier Assayas and Mahamat Saleh Haroun.

The young French actress continued, "When you look up the word 'actor' in the dictionary, you find 'Robert de Niro' written there. Take a look for yourselves." At that moment, the big screen of the Grand Théâtre Lumière revealed a montage of de Niro's finest performances. Heat, The Godfather, A Bronx Tale and the incomparableTaxi Driver. De Niro himself finally arrived onstage and utters a few words in French. "Thanks for having invited me to be the President of the 64th Festival de Cannes. I hope I'll do a good job and thanks again."

In a first musical tribute to Robert de Niro, his home town and that of the festival he founded, the Tribeca Film Festival, young jazzman Jamie Cullum played a medley of Frank Sinatra's New York New York and Alicia Keys' New York. To close the ceremony, an honorary Palme d'or was awarded to Bernardo Bertolucci. "I want to dedicate this honour to Woody Allen and Bobby de Niro. And also to all those Italians who have had the courage to struggle, criticise and get angry." The Palme presented to Bernardo Bertolucci will henceforth be awarded at the opening ceremony of the Festival each year.

11th May

NEWS:

Opening Ceremony of the 64th Festival de Cannes

Robert de Niro

"Declaro il Festivale di Cannes aperto. I declare the Festival de Cannes open." This year, the Festival de Cannes was opened by Bernardo Bertolucci. The Italian Director was awarded an honorary Palme d'or by Gilles Jacob, in the presence of the Jury and the Mistress of Ceremonies, Mélanie Laurent.

"I stand before you tonight, and seen from here, the cinema is a magical thing." With these words Mélanie Laurent welcomed the Jury presided by Robert de Niro onto the stage of the Grand Théâtre Lumière. At his side, actresses Uma Thurman and Martina Gusman, Hong Kong producer Nansun Shi, the writer Linn Ulmann, Jude Law and directors Johnnie To, Olivier Assayas and Mahamat Saleh Haroun.

The young French actress continued, "When you look up the word 'actor' in the dictionary, you find 'Robert de Niro' written there. Take a look for yourselves." At that moment, the big screen of the Grand Théâtre Lumière revealed a montage of de Niro's finest performances. Heat, The Godfather, A Bronx Tale and the incomparableTaxi Driver. De Niro himself finally arrived onstage and utters a few words in French. "Thanks for having invited me to be the President of the 64th Festival de Cannes. I hope I'll do a good job and thanks again."

In a first musical tribute to Robert de Niro, his home town and that of the festival he founded, the Tribeca Film Festival, young jazzman Jamie Cullum played a medley of Frank Sinatra's New York New York and Alicia Keys' New York. To close the ceremony, an honorary Palme d'or was awarded to Bernardo Bertolucci. "I want to dedicate this honour to Woody Allen and Bobby de Niro. And also to all those Italians who have had the courage to struggle, criticise and get angry." The Palme presented to Bernardo Bertolucci will henceforth be awarded at the opening ceremony of the Festival each year.