3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal

Fir milenge chalte chalte Major iamyoursumo's Avatar

Cool Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal

2004 Miami Masters, 3rd Round
    Nadal wins 6-3, 6-3

Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have met 25 times on the ATP Tour. Nadal leads the series 17-8. Here's a look at each of their matches.

Nadal's defeat of Federer in Key Biscayne, Fla., in their first meeting -- on hard courts, with Federer not far removed from winning the '04 Australian Open -- marked the young Spaniard's star turn. In retrospect, this was the match that transformed him from a talented teenager to a bona fide top player.

Nadal leads series, 1-0.

I need to stop saying to people, "How stupid can you be?".....they think it's a challenge!

2005 Miami Masters, Final
    Federer wins 2-6, 6-7(4), 7-6(5), 6-3, 6-1

Nadal was two points from replicating his '04 win before Federer summoned his best tennis when it mattered most, prevailing in a titanic struggle. Federer's victory, predicated as much on mettle as on shot-making, solidified this as the sport's next great rivalry.

Series tied, 1-1.

I need to stop saying to people, "How stupid can you be?".....they think it's a challenge!

2005 French Open, Semifinal
    Nadal wins 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3

Having all but swept the spring clay season, Nadal entered the French Open as the clear favorite. On his 19th birthday, he overcame the biggest challenge on his way to winning his first Grand Slam, taking down Federer in the semifinals.

Nadal leads series, 2-1.

2006 Dubai Open, Final
    Nadal wins 2-6, 6-4, 6-4

After finishing 2005 ranked 1-2, the rivals met for the first time in '06 in Dubai. The top-ranked Federer had already won the Australian Open on hard courts while Nadal, nursing a foot injury, had played only one event over the four months. Nevertheless, the Spaniard prevailed in three sets, bringing an end to Federer's Open-era record of 56 consecutive hard-court match victories.

Nadal leads series, 3-1.

2006 Monte Carlo Masters, Final
    Nadal wins 6-2, 6-7(2), 6-3, 7-6(5)

The undisputed King of Clay, Nadal ran off his 42nd straight win on dirt when he defeated Federer in three sets. At the time, Federer had won 130 of 136 matches since the '04 Olympics, but three of those defeats were to Nadal. Still, the Swiss professed that he was getting closer to solving the mystery his nemesis posed. "I enjoyed the battle against him, and it answers a lot of questions I was asking myself prior to the clay-court season," Federer said. "This was definitely a fantastic week for me."

Nadal leads series, 4-1.

2006 Rome Masters, Final
    Nadal wins 6-7(0), 7-6(5), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(5)

Nadal tied the record for consecutive clay-court wins (53) in impossibly dramatic fashion, staving off two match points and defeating Federer in a five-set epic. Nadal's 16th title also tied him with Bjorn Borg for most tournaments won as a teenager. Though Federer kept a brave face in defeat -- "This is another step; I'm on the right track," he vowed -- his tentative play when he held match point was further evidence that Nadal had taken up residence in his head.

Nadal leads series, 5-1.

2006 French Open, Final
    Nadal wins 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6(4)

After winning only one game in the first set, Nadal took advantage of Federer's tentative play and defended his title at Roland Garros, thwarting Federer's bid to hold all four major titles at the same time.

Nadal leads series, 6-1.

2006 Wimbledon, Final
    Federer wins 6-0, 7-6(5), 6-7(2), 6-3

Four weeks after meeting on the clay of Paris, Federer and Nadal reconvened their rivalry on the grass of Wimbledon. On the faster surface, Federer prevailed, winning his fourth straight title at the All England Club.

Nadal leads series, 6-2.

2006 Shanghai Masters, Semifinal
    Federer wins 6-4, 7-5

Meeting for the first time indoors, Federer trumped Nadal in the Shanghai semis, capping perhaps the finest season in the Open era.

Nadal leads series, 6-3.

2007 Monte Carlo Masters, Final
    Nadal wins 6-4, 6-4

Back on the clay, Nadal regained the upper hand in the rivalry, winning a match that was less competitive than the scoreline indicated.

Nadal leads series, 7-3.

2007 Hamburg Masters, Final
    Federer wins 2-6, 6-2, 6-0

Barely a week after a desultory loss in Rome that resulted in the firing of his coach Tony Roche, Federer finally cracked the Nadal riddle on clay. In winning this title and reinvigorating his hopes for that elusive French Open crown, Federer also ended Nadal's clay-court winning streak at 81 matches.

Nadal leads series, 7-4.

2007 French Open, Final
    Nadal wins 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4

Nadal lost serve only once (despite facing 17 break points) in winning his third consecutive French Open and again denying the top-ranked Federer the career Grand Slam. Federer fell to 1-6 against Nadal on clay.

Nadal leads series, 8-4.

2007 Wimbledon, Final
    Federer wins 7-6(7), 4-6, 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-2

Federer's 34th consecutive victory at Wimbledon was the first in the streak that went five sets. Federer matched Bjorn Borg with both his five consecutive Wimbledon title and 11th Grand Slam championship. Nadal failed to capitalize on break points in two of Federer's first three service games in the fifth set, which Federer won 6-2.

Nadal leads series, 8-5.

2007 Shanghai Masters, Semifinal
    Federer wins 6-4, 6-1

Serving at 4-4, 15-30 in the first set, Federer reeled off 20 of the next 21 points en route to a 6-4, 6-1 victory. Federer went on to overwhelm David Ferrer in the final in Shanghai.

Nadal leads series, 8-6.

2008 Monte Carlo Masters, Final
    Nadal wins 7-5, 7-5

Nadal began a five-match winning streak against Federer with a straight-sets victory, improving to 7-1 on clay against his rival and giving him 98 wins in his last 99 matches on the terre battue.

Nadal leads series, 9-6.