View Poll Results: Can India turn things around in the 3rd test?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • They can and they will. 2-1 after Edgbaston!

3 27.27%
  • A draw is the best Indian fans can hope for

1 9.09%
  • No way--you might as well start thinking about the ODI series

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Can India Compete With a Surging England?

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Default Poll: Can India Compete With a Surging England?

So the action moves to Edgbaston, and the riot-affected city of Birmingham. India can take solace from the fact that they will have plenty of local support in this immigrant-dominated area, but--as Praveen Kumar found out--that can be a double-edged sword as well; fans can be as harsh in their criticism as they can be effusive with their praise!

The big mystery for India is its team selection. Three players compete for two opening slots: Mukund, Gambhir, and Sehwag all have worthy claims to the top spot in the order. Gambhir should be a shoo-in, and Sehwag will give India a chance to dominate early on. Mukund's commanding 100 in the practice game means that he too might find a spot down the order.

The selection morass continues lower down in the lineup, with Raina and Kohli also battling for a middle-order slot. Picking the right bowlers for the condition is another conundrum, as RP Singh, Sreesanth, Ishant, and Praveen are all fit and ready to go--as are P Ojha and Amit Mishra. The pitch is expected to assist spin a few days in, so there's a good chance Mishra could get a chance.

While the public and cocky English media seem to have written off the Indians, Ganguly seems to think that "there's no reason why India can't make it 2-2." We agree, but it's going to take a lot of effort, grit, and old-fashioned grafting to wear the Englishmen down and beat them on their own turf.

The bookies seem to think that a draw is the most likely option, at 1.38:1 odds. An England win is paying out slightly better at 1.4 to 1, and an Indian win is viewed as a relative long shot at 4:1.

What do you think? Can India bounce back and wipe those grins off those smug English faces? We hope so--we're sick and tired of Vaughan and company revelling in their victory. It's time to make like the Australia of the 1990s and absolutely annihilate England with both bat and ball
    Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

Main Ist option ko vote kiya......Jeetega bhai jeetega..India jeetega.......

Now ! you are getting naughty !!

first day....35 overs and 6 wkts down....barely 100 runs on board....is that competition ???

Nothing can happen now. India should think of ODI's.
    It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life so interesting. . .

Red face

I am great INDIAN fan but in my opinion they are flat pitch bully

Only 3 batsman i.e. Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman & Sachin Tendulkar have capability & class to play on all type of pitch and all type of balls. or sab to short balls pe bandron ki tarah uchalte hain.

Administrator Lieutenant

I can not imagine Indians overpowering England (at least in this series). They do not look like taking their 20 wickets. There is no bowler which can do the clean-up job. Their 8th, 9th and 10th positioned batsmen are troublesome leave aside the top order.

On batting front we are even worse. We are not playing as a unit. A few sparks come here and there and are not supported by others. they do not have any strategy in place. Dhoni showed the way yesterday and I can hope Indians can play well in the next innings to make England bat in second innings.

Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar

too much cricket past world cup cost this, players are not to blame, just the timing was not right. i do not with to reassess team india wid this performance.

Make My Day

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraj View Post
    I am great INDIAN fan but in my opinion they are flat pitch bully

Only 3 batsman i.e. Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman & Sachin Tendulkar have capability & class to play on all type of pitch and all type of balls. or sab to short balls pe bandron ki tarah uchalte hain.
    where are the bench streanth in team india ???? Is 125 crore country lacking quility players ??When BCCI earning in billions why not they try to search a brigade of good players from grass root lavel ..

~ cavalier ~ ♀ ☣ )o( ⌆ Lieutenant-Colonel Lisbonstar28's Avatar

From what i saw, they seemed to be lacking in overall morale, i think some executing strategies and more team pep talks wouldn't go a miss ! They had and still have the potential to make England vulnerable providing they get their act together pronto !!! Although no wickets were taken yesterday, i was impressed with Sreenaths bowling . Dhoni brought about him some respite. Laxman was switched on as well. The trio played well, can't say much for the rest of the team. Lets see what happens.

Bring it on England, keep it coming !

This was bound to happen. In the past they have always included young players in the team but never ever gave them a chance to play in Indian 11 while travelling overseas. This has resulted that our crop of youngsters have experince in domestic pitches only and were never exposed to tough conditions where ball moved. Last ten years, they havent changed the palying 11 at all.

Laxman, Dravid, Sachin all are on verge of retirement ( i should say, they already are on extension) and our team is left with players with experince of domestic cricket.

Some players who were little talented but were shown cold shoulder by the BCCI, opted to play for IPL rather than wasting time and money .....waiting for being selected.

Quote Originally Posted by gracefulguy View Post
    This was bound to happen. In the past they have always included young players in the team but never ever gave them a chance to play in Indian 11 while travelling overseas. This has resulted that our crop of youngsters have experince in domestic pitches only and were never exposed to tough conditions where ball moved. Last ten years, they havent changed the palying 11 at all.

Laxman, Dravid, Sachin all are on verge of retirement ( i should say, they already are on extension) and our team is left with players with experince of domestic cricket.

Some players who were little talented but were shown cold shoulder by the BCCI, opted to play for IPL rather than wasting time and money .....waiting for being selected.

A bad workman will always blame the tools or the system.

Don't feel like watching the game I feel only way to watch it is if I program my mind to be English fan
    It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life so interesting. . .

Frankly speaking BCCI is the main culprit behind this they had to plan the series considering the physical and mental frame of players.....immediately after WC there was IPL followed by WI series the team does need some rest it is like there is no fuel/petrol in your vehicle but you still need your car to win first in a car race.......how pathetic guys .............Now that they are 3-0 guess India can work hard and see to it that the series can be atleast 3-1.If they fai in doing so they will surely loose the self confidence
    Live ur lyf lyk U r the director of a movie.Can’t control 100% ,roll wid the punches as if U were calling the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisbonstar28 View Post
    A bad workman will always blame the tools or the system.
    Well....Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Dhoni....Sehwag, Gambhir....which one a bad workman ???

Quote Originally Posted by gracefulguy View Post
    Well....Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Dhoni....Sehwag, Gambhir....which one a bad workman ???

If only it was that easy... to pin the blame on somebody . Here, i'm not singling out any one person, That would be grossly unfair, by workmanship i'm referring to the shoddiness of the entire team put together. A drastic need for gelling and working together as one unified body was in order. This has not been demonstrated up to yet . Much can be learnt from the opposition - England, who are driving India like lambs to the slaughter. It doesn't seem that we are playing against world champions, rather some high school team, it's a shame to be wiping the floor with that title as easily as it has been . Indian players seem to lack enthusiasm.. as if they don't want to be playing. I saw with my own eyes players with their hands in their pockets much throughout the 1st day. What was all that about ? Ok, it was a chilly out there but try upholding that as an excuse when answering to a nation of 1.2 billion. One should at least bother to look the part even if they cannot play the part.