3 27.27%
  • Classic 350

8 72.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Yamaha R15 vs RE Classic 350

Banned Colonel

Thumbs up Review: Yamaha R15 vs RE Classic 350

Yamaha R15 was the first model for the Indian market designed in the true supersport image and featuring a high-level balance of enjoyable running performance on winding roads. Now, Yamaha India has launched 2011 model of Yamaha R15, which is priced at Rs. 1.07 lakhs (ex-showroom New Delhi). The company is promoting it as 'R15 Version 2.0', which resembles to R1, to some extent. Previously, it was expected to be launched in April, then in July, finally New Yamaha R15 version 2.0 is here, it is one of the most awaited bikes of 2011. But the sad part is that New R15 Version 2.0's specifications are exactly the same in comparison to R15 Version 1.0 except the kerb weight which is now 136 kgs. The engine displacement, maximum power and maximum torque figures are same. Yamaha fans would be feeling very disappointed with this because they were waiting for R15 Version 2.0 from 10-12 months and it was expected that power will be increased from 16.8 bhp to 20-22 bhp and torque from 15 nm to 18-19 nm but Yamaha India has kept all the technical specifications intact.
    According to Yamaha India while maintaining the proven ease of handling of the R15 version 1.0, the R15 version 2.0 boasts of spruced up looks and better performance in circuit riding. The design elements are borrowed from the supersport model YZF-R1 that is adapted from YZR-M1 MotoGP race machine. The R15 version 2.0 has undergone changes as compared to the present YZF-R15 in the specs of the Engine Control unit (ECU), drivetrain unit, a long aluminum swing arm, wider front and rear tires (radial tire for the rear), split seat, LED taillights and new-design middle cowl & tail cowl. On sales target, Mr Roy Kurian, National Business Head, said: “We aim to sell 5.3 lakh bikes by this fiscal. For YZF-R15, our target is 3,000 bikes per month.”

What's New in 2011 New Yamaha R15 Version 2.0?

- All new engine fairing which looks very sporty
    - New alloy wheels further enhances the looks of the bike
    - Proper split seat which is anti-slip and better cushioned
    - New decals/graphics which are now in white shade
    - Fat rear tyre - 130/70 - R17 (finally, they have done it)
    - All-new LED tail light which looks much better than last generation model
    - New ECU mapping for better acceleration and mileage
    - Bigger 220mm rear disc for improved braking
    - Weight increased by 5kgs (now it weighs 136kgs)
    - New design for saree guard and mudguard
    - First 150cc Indian bike to feature aluminium swingarm

Fast Facts About 2011 New Yamaha R15 Version 2.0
    - Engine is same 149.8cc 4-stroke liquid-cooled
    - Maximum power is 16.8 bhp at 8500 rpm (17PS)
    - Maximum torque is 15 nm at 7500 rpm
    - Same old digital/analogue instrument cluster
    - Seat height increased from 790mm to 800mm
    - Available in three shades: Midnight black, Sunset Red and Racing Blue
    - Price is Rs. 1,07,000 (Ex-showroom New Delhi)
    - Wheelbase increased from 1290mm to 1345mm

Design and Styling of 2011 New Yamaha R15 Version 2.0
    - All-new LED tail lamp cluster
    - New engine fairing
    - Proper step-up seat
    - All-new alloy wheels
    - New rear fender and tyre hugger
    - Sportier riding position
    - Fat rear tyre 130/70 R17
    - 4% less aerodynamic drag

V/S

Last edited by hotfuntalk; 21-09-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Banned Colonel

R15

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
    Displacement: 149.8cc
    Engine: 149.8cc, 4-stroke
    Maximum Power: 16.8 Bhp (17 PS) @ 8500 rpm
    Maximum Torque: 15 Nm @ 7500 rpm
    Gears: 6 Manual
    Clutch: Wet Multiplate
    Bore: 57
    Stroke: 58.7
    No. of Cylinders: 1
    Cylinder Configuration: NA
    Valve Per Cylinder: 4
    Chassis Type: Deltabox Frame
    Cooling Type: Liquid Cooling
    Carburetor: NA

DIMENSIONS
    Length: 1970.00 mm
    Width: 670.00 mm
    Height: 1070.00 mm
    OTHER SPECIFICATIONS
    Weight: 136.00 kg
    Ground Clearance: 160.00 mm
    Fuel Tank: 12.00 ltrs
    Wheelbase: 1345.00 mm
    Headlamp: 12V35W / 35W+35W
    Battery Type: Maintainance Free
    Battery Voltage: 12V
    Battery Capacity: 3.5Ah
    Horn: Dual
    Wheel Type: Alloys
    Wheel Size: 90/80 R17, 130/70 R17 mm
    Tubeless:
    Colors: Sunset red, Midnight black and Racing blue

Price 1 lac seven thousand +

V/S

Classic 350

Engine Single Cylinder, 4 Stroke, OHV, SI Engine, Aircooled, Twinspark
    Displacement 346 CC
    Bore x Stroke 70 mm x 90 mm
    Maximum Power 19.8 bhp @ 5250 rpm
    Maximum Torque 28 Nm @ 4000 rpm
    Transmission 5 Speed (left foot gear shift)
    Ignition Digital TCI
    Carburetor BS29 / UCAL
    Dimensions:
    Ground Clearance 140 mm
    Width 800 mm
    Wheel Base 1370 mm
    Length 2150 mm
    Height 1080 mm
    Tyres:
    Front 90/90 - 19
    Rear 110/90 - 18
    Electricals:
    Electrical System 12 Volts - DC
    Head lamp 60 W / 55 W, HALOGEN
    Brakes:
    Front Hydraulic Disc Brake (Disc dia 280mm)
    Rear Foot Operated 153 mm Single Lead Internal Expanding
    Maximum Speed:
    Speed 120 Kmph
    Suspension:
    Front Telescopic, Hydraulic Damping, Stroke 130 mm
    Rear Swing Arm With Gas Shock Absorbers, Stroke 80mm
    Colors: Maroon, Green (500 cc), black, silver

Price 1 lac thirty thousand (3,000 extra for special silencer)
    Last edited by hotfuntalk; 20-09-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Banned Colonel

The R15 is a track bike primarily, meaning that the riding position, dynamics etc are designed for maximum takeaway on racetracks. Which is not to say that it will not be enjoyable everyday on the roads, just that it may not be very comfortable over long distances in the lean-forward position. But if you are light-weight and flexible, the R15 is a tremendous machine and will give you thrills you expect from fast motorcycling.

V/S

The Classic 350 is a different 'kettle of fish' altogether. It's a low rpm, long-stroke, push-rod motor, often called a 'thumper' for obvious reasons. An RE is all about relaxed motorcycling, traveling long distances with ease and enjoying riding for riding's sake. The new UCE motor is really good and I can say that with authority since I ride a new Classic 500. If you can stretch the budget a bit, go for the CL500 eyes shut. It's fuel-injected, faster than the R15, as quick and a much better cruiser. I get a mileage of 30 kmpl and the engine's still not completely run-in.

Post your comments and views on both the bikes.

The Avenger !! Lieutenant-Colonel murtazas's Avatar

Voted for R15....kya bike yaar...
    dhasuuuuuuuuuuu.......
    Love for your country is part of your faith" Holy Prophet (S.A.W).”

Hum Banarasi.......... Colonel Ankhi_sena_mun's Avatar

I am a wrong person to see this thread... nice pics though....

!! PostMaster !! Field Marshal passion_unlimitedd's Avatar

I'd go for R15
    Play To Win or Don't Play At All
    Always Expect The Unexpected

SB ICON Major General

R15

teekhi jammu chilli Major General arumita's Avatar

ek accident ke baad......R15 jaaye kabaadkhane ko aur enfield aaye ghar ko......

enfield is classic not comparable to these plastic bikes.....
    One Day your life will flash before your Eyes.....
    Make sure its worth watching.....

Classic 350
    Bring Me My Bow Of Burning Gold Bring Me My Arrows Of Desire
    Bring Me My Spear: O Clouds Unfold
    Bring Me My Chariot Of Fire

♥♥♥-Khiladi-♥♥♥ Lieutenant-Colonel fresher2010's Avatar

Royal Enfield.....Its my type
    Faith is a Luxury. And I Don't have a Time for it.

Banned Colonel

Rider's true experience on the Classic 500!

Bangalore - Gulbagra

Monday,29 August 2011

Have you ever felt the urge - to take the open road, the uncharted ways, to travel for the sake of travelling, to ride into the sunset, and to test your limits? I had been feeling the same ever since I got my bike (earlier named the Hawk - now has been renamed as the Phoenix). Although I had done a couple of small rides on my new bike, and a few more on Shariq's Electra, I always felt that something was missing. I needed a long ride to call myself a biker, and was waiting for an opportunity (read leaves/free days to arrive).
    The opportunity revealed itself to me thanks to a weird policy of my last organization, due to which I was suddenly left jobless for a week. And, instead of sitting at home, I decided to ride out to Gulbarga as I wanted to visit the place since ages.
    Completing all the formalities in my old organization took most of Wednesday, and so I planned to ride out early on Thursday. I went to an Enfield spares shop to pickup a spare set of lights, and packed my bag for the next day. Also, decided to swap the stock back view mirrors for those of Classic 500 as they gave better visibility of the traffic behind.
    But, as happens with all my "Wake up early" plans, got up royally late and moved out at around 12:30 pm after a cup of ginger tea. Had already decided to take the Bangalore ORR till Hebbal, and take NH 7 from there till Kurnool before diverting to Gulbarga. Met my roommate, Vikas, near his office at Marathalli before proceeding to NH7.
    The plan was simple - to take NH7 till after Kurnool, and from there take the state highway to Raichur and then ride to Gulbarga. I did not plan to take any overnight breaks as I only had three days to reach Gulbarga, roam around, and return back to Bangalore. I wanted to return by Saturday so I had Sunday to rest and get the formalities for the new job done.
    It took me around 2 hours to cross Bangalore, thanks to the daytime city traffic and the diversions in place because of the Bangalore Air show. Finally, crossed Yelehanka and had only minimal traffic till the BIA. Once crossed the airport, the traffic gradually reduced to a trickle and I had the whole highway to myself. I was cruising at speeds in excess of 85 Kmph, and thanks to the new helmet visor I had gotten, was not feeling the speed at all. The bike was begging to be released, and I did speeds in excess of 100 Kmph in some stretches.
    I had taken my clothes and some spare parts (an extra headlight lamp, tools, break wires etc) in a laptop bag which I had hung on my shoulders. As I reached Bagepalli, I realised that this arrangement was causing some discomfort, and so I stopped at a roadside shop to get a drink and to tie the bag to the rear seat. Thankfully I had forseen this and had brought along a rope. The shop next to which I stopped did not have "cold" drinks, so I bought a water bottle to quench my thirst.
    Form Bagepalli I proceeded till Penukonda, where I had lunch at a road side hotel. I had asked for a chicken biryani, but got a mutton biryani - so people who do not eat mutton beware. By the time I moved out it was around 4:30 in the evening, and I was around 150 Kms from Bangalore.
    Afterwards I realized why it is never advisable to ride on a full stomach. I started feeling sleepy and even dozed off on the saddle. Thankfully the road was empty and so no harm was done. I stopped my bike near a lake and washed my face. Also, clicked some pretty awesome pics of the lake and the bike before moving on. The next stop was Anantpur - where I searched for an ATM and tanked up, before riding on. By this time the sun had started to set, which meant that the insects had started to commit suicide by whamming into my helmet's visor. Since I did not have much time to loose and nothing could be done about the insects, I decided to ride on = hoping and praying to God that the insect attack would stop. Thankfully, it subsided after a while. By this time, I had passed Gooty, and so I decided to take a tea break, clean my helmet's visor, and wash my face before riding on.
    Stopped at a Dhaba run by a sardarji and ordered for a soecial kadak chai. Got talking to the attendant of the dhaba, a man named Tony. He asked me where I was coming from, and on being told that I was coming from Bangalore he was surprised. He then started telling me about his trips and about his friends. By this time I had finished two glasses of extremely good tea, and I decided to move on. The owner of the dhaba advised me to stop for the night near Kurnool, where his cousin had another dhaba, as the road from Kurnool to Raichur was a single lane, pothole filled road with lots of trucks coming by. I told him that I will think about it, knowing fully well that I would do no such thing . Talked to my friends in Bangalore and Hyderabad, who all told me to stop at Kurnool or Raichur, but I had other plans.
    By this time it was getting quite chilly, so I wore a sweat shirt and rode on. It was 8:30 by the time I entered Kurnool, and I decided against having dinner as I still had a long way to go, and could not afford to feel drowsy. Plus, I was still full from the heavy meal I had earlier. Stopped at Kurnool for directions and tea, and was advised to go slow on the track. He also told of where to take the turn from, which I promptly went ahead and missed . Realized my mistake after driving ahead for about 1 Km and drove back, and finally took the correct turn.
    About a kilometer into the side lane to Raichur, the potholes started. And not just any potholes - one of the biggest I had ever seen (up to that time anyway). It was more like I was riding on potholes, with some road thrown in for fun. The next 90 odd kilometers were straight from bikers hell, with buses and trucks coming from the opposite direction on the single lane road with headlights on high beam - blinding and forcing me to go off road and let them pass. Took a break every 30 odd kilometers to sooth my paining bum and to wash my face and the helmet visor.
    Finally crossed the stretch at around midnight, and stopped at the next shop for a welcome cup of hot, steaming tea. Got talking to the owner, who gave me some pointers of the road ahead. Most importantly, he told me to not go through Raichur, but to ride to Devarsugur as the road there was in a better condition and had less traffic. Thanked him and drove on towards Raichur, and stopped near the fort to give a call to my friends and brother to give them updates about my position. Asked for directions to Devsugur and drove towards it.
    Now, what the guy had not told me was that I would be driving near the Raichur Thermal Power Plant, which meant that the security would obviously be high. As soon as I crossed the thermal plant, I met a police checkpost manned by 2 khaki wardi walas. I was stopped and questioned about the trip and all - but no problems. After signing the register and showing them my ID proof, I was allowed to go. The junior officer then came to me and advised me about the route to take - turned out he was a resident of Gulbarga, and was more than happy to help a visitor to his home town. I was again stopped before Yadgir, where the lone constable talked to me about my ride and the plan ahead. He basically was bored to death, sitting alone at the checkpost, monitoring the almost non-existing traffic. The next time I was stopped at a police checkpost just after Yadgir, where the Inspector in duty even took my bike for a spin. He then complemented me on daring to ride so far alone, and that too at night. That, however, was not a big deal to me. All I wanted to know was the directions to Gulbarga which he duly provided, and I was off again.
    The ride from Yadgir checkpost to Gulbarga was uneventful, save for the extra chill in the air and a lot of dead rabbits and rats I saw on the road. The traffic was minimal, and I zipped across like there was no tomorrow. Finally, reached Gulbarga at around 7 in the morning, checked in to a hotel and hit the sack.
    Trip Meter Reading - 713.7 Kms
    Total Journey duration (including breaks ) - 18.5 hours
    Will be writing about Gulbarga and the return journey in the next post. Till then,

This is Hashir

SB ICON Major General

guys you can't compare Yamaha R15 with Royal Enfield

Yamaha R15 is for people who like fast riding and modern looking bike

Enfield is something classic.

Ex - terminating the Ex.. Lieutenant-Colonel Colonel Hannibal Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotfuntalk View Post
    Rider's true experience on the Classic 500!

Bangalore - Gulbagra

Monday,29 August 2011

Have you ever felt the urge - to take the open road, the uncharted ways, to travel for the sake of travelling, to ride into the sunset, and to test your limits? I had been feeling the same ever since I got my bike (earlier named the Hawk - now has been renamed as the Phoenix). Although I had done a couple of small rides on my new bike, and a few more on Shariq's Electra, I always felt that something was missing. I needed a long ride to call myself a biker, and was waiting for an opportunity (read leaves/free days to arrive).
    The opportunity revealed itself to me thanks to a weird policy of my last organization, due to which I was suddenly left jobless for a week. And, instead of sitting at home, I decided to ride out to Gulbarga as I wanted to visit the place since ages.
    Completing all the formalities in my old organization took most of Wednesday, and so I planned to ride out early on Thursday. I went to an Enfield spares shop to pickup a spare set of lights, and packed my bag for the next day. Also, decided to swap the stock back view mirrors for those of Classic 500 as they gave better visibility of the traffic behind.
    But, as happens with all my "Wake up early" plans, got up royally late and moved out at around 12:30 pm after a cup of ginger tea. Had already decided to take the Bangalore ORR till Hebbal, and take NH 7 from there till Kurnool before diverting to Gulbarga. Met my roommate, Vikas, near his office at Marathalli before proceeding to NH7.
    The plan was simple - to take NH7 till after Kurnool, and from there take the state highway to Raichur and then ride to Gulbarga. I did not plan to take any overnight breaks as I only had three days to reach Gulbarga, roam around, and return back to Bangalore. I wanted to return by Saturday so I had Sunday to rest and get the formalities for the new job done.
    It took me around 2 hours to cross Bangalore, thanks to the daytime city traffic and the diversions in place because of the Bangalore Air show. Finally, crossed Yelehanka and had only minimal traffic till the BIA. Once crossed the airport, the traffic gradually reduced to a trickle and I had the whole highway to myself. I was cruising at speeds in excess of 85 Kmph, and thanks to the new helmet visor I had gotten, was not feeling the speed at all. The bike was begging to be released, and I did speeds in excess of 100 Kmph in some stretches.
    I had taken my clothes and some spare parts (an extra headlight lamp, tools, break wires etc) in a laptop bag which I had hung on my shoulders. As I reached Bagepalli, I realised that this arrangement was causing some discomfort, and so I stopped at a roadside shop to get a drink and to tie the bag to the rear seat. Thankfully I had forseen this and had brought along a rope. The shop next to which I stopped did not have "cold" drinks, so I bought a water bottle to quench my thirst.
    Form Bagepalli I proceeded till Penukonda, where I had lunch at a road side hotel. I had asked for a chicken biryani, but got a mutton biryani - so people who do not eat mutton beware. By the time I moved out it was around 4:30 in the evening, and I was around 150 Kms from Bangalore.
    Afterwards I realized why it is never advisable to ride on a full stomach. I started feeling sleepy and even dozed off on the saddle. Thankfully the road was empty and so no harm was done. I stopped my bike near a lake and washed my face. Also, clicked some pretty awesome pics of the lake and the bike before moving on. The next stop was Anantpur - where I searched for an ATM and tanked up, before riding on. By this time the sun had started to set, which meant that the insects had started to commit suicide by whamming into my helmet's visor. Since I did not have much time to loose and nothing could be done about the insects, I decided to ride on = hoping and praying to God that the insect attack would stop. Thankfully, it subsided after a while. By this time, I had passed Gooty, and so I decided to take a tea break, clean my helmet's visor, and wash my face before riding on.
    Stopped at a Dhaba run by a sardarji and ordered for a soecial kadak chai. Got talking to the attendant of the dhaba, a man named Tony. He asked me where I was coming from, and on being told that I was coming from Bangalore he was surprised. He then started telling me about his trips and about his friends. By this time I had finished two glasses of extremely good tea, and I decided to move on. The owner of the dhaba advised me to stop for the night near Kurnool, where his cousin had another dhaba, as the road from Kurnool to Raichur was a single lane, pothole filled road with lots of trucks coming by. I told him that I will think about it, knowing fully well that I would do no such thing . Talked to my friends in Bangalore and Hyderabad, who all told me to stop at Kurnool or Raichur, but I had other plans.
    By this time it was getting quite chilly, so I wore a sweat shirt and rode on. It was 8:30 by the time I entered Kurnool, and I decided against having dinner as I still had a long way to go, and could not afford to feel drowsy. Plus, I was still full from the heavy meal I had earlier. Stopped at Kurnool for directions and tea, and was advised to go slow on the track. He also told of where to take the turn from, which I promptly went ahead and missed . Realized my mistake after driving ahead for about 1 Km and drove back, and finally took the correct turn.
    About a kilometer into the side lane to Raichur, the potholes started. And not just any potholes - one of the biggest I had ever seen (up to that time anyway). It was more like I was riding on potholes, with some road thrown in for fun. The next 90 odd kilometers were straight from bikers hell, with buses and trucks coming from the opposite direction on the single lane road with headlights on high beam - blinding and forcing me to go off road and let them pass. Took a break every 30 odd kilometers to sooth my paining bum and to wash my face and the helmet visor.
    Finally crossed the stretch at around midnight, and stopped at the next shop for a welcome cup of hot, steaming tea. Got talking to the owner, who gave me some pointers of the road ahead. Most importantly, he told me to not go through Raichur, but to ride to Devarsugur as the road there was in a better condition and had less traffic. Thanked him and drove on towards Raichur, and stopped near the fort to give a call to my friends and brother to give them updates about my position. Asked for directions to Devsugur and drove towards it.
    Now, what the guy had not told me was that I would be driving near the Raichur Thermal Power Plant, which meant that the security would obviously be high. As soon as I crossed the thermal plant, I met a police checkpost manned by 2 khaki wardi walas. I was stopped and questioned about the trip and all - but no problems. After signing the register and showing them my ID proof, I was allowed to go. The junior officer then came to me and advised me about the route to take - turned out he was a resident of Gulbarga, and was more than happy to help a visitor to his home town. I was again stopped before Yadgir, where the lone constable talked to me about my ride and the plan ahead. He basically was bored to death, sitting alone at the checkpost, monitoring the almost non-existing traffic. The next time I was stopped at a police checkpost just after Yadgir, where the Inspector in duty even took my bike for a spin. He then complemented me on daring to ride so far alone, and that too at night. That, however, was not a big deal to me. All I wanted to know was the directions to Gulbarga which he duly provided, and I was off again.
    The ride from Yadgir checkpost to Gulbarga was uneventful, save for the extra chill in the air and a lot of dead rabbits and rats I saw on the road. The traffic was minimal, and I zipped across like there was no tomorrow. Finally, reached Gulbarga at around 7 in the morning, checked in to a hotel and hit the sack.
    Trip Meter Reading - 713.7 Kms
    Total Journey duration (including breaks ) - 18.5 hours
    Will be writing about Gulbarga and the return journey in the next post. Till then,

This is Hashir

I own this Bike...its uncomparable!
    can't believe Yamaha R15 was compared to Enfield 350!
    Lemme try n make dis comparison more reasonable b/w da two brands...or shall i use bike databases on the net...
    ok Yamaha vs Enfield better comparison comin' over!
    Asshole meets good girl → fcuks her over → She turns into a b!tch → She meets a good guy → fcuks him over → He turns into an asshole!

Ex - terminating the Ex.. Lieutenant-Colonel Colonel Hannibal Smith's Avatar

Default The 350 cc Heavyweights...Yamaha RD 350 vs Royal Enfield Bullet 350 (1990s fight)

Yamaha RD 350

The RD 350 was the very first super performance offering to the Indian Consumers at a time (1983) when the only bikes in India were the Bullet 350, the Jawa (Yezdi) 250 2 stroke and Rajdoot 175 cc 2 stroke. The other two wheelers being geared scooters like Bajaj Priya, Chetak, Allwyn Pushpak, Vijay and Lambretta. The original Japanese RD 350 had 40 bhp but the Indian Editions were detuned to 31 bhp due to lower fuel quality in India and also to increase Mileage.

The RD was produced from 1983 to 1990 in India. The first edition was called HT(high torque) edition, this edition had 31 bhp. The first sets of RD’s were given to the Indian Traffic Police to help them in nabbing criminals quickly. The Indian Police were used to Enfield Bullets previously and the RD proved to be a handful for them to control. The result was many accidents by the officials.
    The first HT edition of the RD 350 had too much power for the average Indian Rider as back then our Market was not used to such a performance product (and sadly even now). The RD was a crotch Rocket capable of hitting 165 KM/HR in 6th gear. The RD used to frequently wheelie at the hands of inexperienced riders, being a high revving 2 stroke the bike was uncontrollable except a handful of experienced and matured riders. This prompted Yamaha to bring a detuned version of the RD 350 LT (low torque) which had 27 bhp with less pick up and slightly better mileage.
    The RD used to return a mileage of anywhere between 6 to 23 km/ltr depending on how it was driven. The RD was fully imported in earlier models but by 1990 the bike was manufactured completely by Escorts Yamaha in India. The name RD stands for “Race Derived” performance and had technology from the Motogp bikes of the 1970′s. The bike had cult status all around the world since it was produced from the early 70′s in Europe, Japan and America. The bike was stopped production in America in early 1980′s due to stricter emission and sound norms.
    The Indian Scenario: Unfortunately the RD did not enjoy that much success in India. The running costs was the greatest deterrent for the Indian rider to buy the RD and with the reputation of it being a “Lethal” bike ensured the sales of the RD was poor. Some people thought RD stood for “Rapid Death” ! Yamaha promoted the bike with the line “For the few who dared to Dream and be different” but that’s what happened literally in reality. The Hero Honda CD 100 which was launched in the 1985 further dented the RD’s sales figures as it had better mileage. Yamaha still continued to offer the RD LT. The RX100 was later launched in 1985 and it continued to sell better than the RD. Finally the RD 350 was discontinued by Yamaha in 1990 after years of frustration. The “Fill it, Shut it, Forget it” era marked the demise of the RD 350.
    The RD 350 was a bike way ahead for its time and especially in the Indian context, the bike was not suited for the Indian consumer. The bike though a very competent and quality product enjoyed little success in our country.
    Technical Aspects: The RD was a twin cylinder “Reed Valve” air cooled 347 cc engine with each cylinder having a displacement of 173.5 cc. The RD had a slick 6-speed close ratio gearbox with 1 down 5 up pattern. The RD also featured “Torque Induction” ignition technology of Yamaha. The RD could do 0-100 in 7 seconds and a top speed of 165 km/hr in its heyday. The RD could touch 150 km/hr in just 16 seconds and was the first bike to have a tachometer in India.

The RD had twin exhausts and the Indian models had only 150 mm drum brakes at both ends. The drum brakes lacked the bite of a disc and the abroad models had a front disc brake, which was absent in the Indian models. Coupled with the skinny tires the RD had scary high-speed handling and braking control characteristics. The RD is still the performance benchmark of any production bike in India and even after 25 years no Indian performance bike has even come close to it.
    The Race RD’s: The RD 350 was modified for track use at the MMSC race track in Chennai and ran on Aviation fuel (white kerosene). The Race RD’s were turbocharged and had smaller sprockets and wheels, which pushed the power upto 85 bhp. The top speed was in excess of 220 km/hr. The bike had just the chassis, suspension, large 25 ltr fuel tank, disc brake on both ends and a thin sponge cushion for seat as everything else was removed to lighten up the bike. The Race RD was very light and agile and was very different from the Stock RD. The Race RD’s had modified powered up exhausts and the sound would be intoxicatingly addictive as well as deafening when they would zoom past in the track spewing blinding smoke all over the track. I was in complete awe of the action taking place on the race track. The Race RD was the “Undisputed King of the MMSC Race Track” before it was discontinued from racing.
    Salute the Grand-dad of Indian Performance Bikes: The RD was the first proper performance Superbike in India and it still enjoys cult status in our country. Performance Purists still swear by it and we can find many RD clubs all around our country. The RD had many editions like RD 400, RD 500 LC (liquid cooled) all of which enjoyed considerable success through out the world and attained cult status.
    Truly The RD 350 was the Greatest Landmark bike of India, which paved the way for performance biking in India and Yamaha’s greatest offering to our country’s performance enthusiasts. None of the modern day Indian Performance bikes can even touch 150 km/hr. Only those who have experienced the raw power and pure adrenalin rush from the RD will know its character and importance. The Race RD’s were in a league of their own. The RD 350 is a Legend and not your everyday bike and having driven it few times I can vouch that RD is a Legend par Performance Excellence.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 cc (1987-2006)

Engine size346ccPower18bhpTop speed70mph

Engine:

Although the Royal Enfield Bullet 350 made in India today is a different engine from the old 60s British Enfields, it's still a simple, low comp four stroke plodder, with an antiquated gearbox bolted onto it. The 350 Trials version has another 2bhp, but don't expect to be going anywhere fast, as the Enfields were always designed for sedate cruising.

Ride & Handling:
    For what it is, the handling of the Royal Enfield Bullet 350 is surprisingly good. The bike steers very well and you can nip through traffic easily, it just has a certain bounciness on bumpy roads which warns you it is an old chassis design. Drum brakes are a bit scary in any emergency situation.

Equipment:
    The Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Trials certainly looks the part, with an upswept exhaust, single saddle, alloy mudguards, luggage rack and trailie style handlebars. The 350 Classic is more basic, but the last of them were sold off in 2006 for just two grand new, so you can't complain too much.

Quality & Reliability:

The UK importers have spent their own time and money making various mods to the Indian made Enfields over the last decade or so, plus general quality has improved over in India in the last five years or so. Vibes tend to loosen things on the Enfields, but otherwise, you shouldn't have any major problems.

Value:

When you consider what it can cost to restore a genuinely ancient classic Brit bike, a new Royal Enfield Bullet 350 for £2000-£2600 seems a bargain - you even get a warranty! Emissions laws have pretty much ended the 350's lifespan in the EU, but a good used example can be had for about £1000-£1500.

Model history in India:

1996: Royal Enfield Bullet 350 imported in small numbers to the UK.
    1997: New owners Eicher Engineering acquire factory in India.
    2002: UK importer launches 350 Trials variant for £3000.
    2004: Royal Enfield Bullet Classic Deluxe 350 appears, with chromed parts, 2 tone tank, knee pads.
    2005: Royal Enfield Bullet Classic Deluxe discontinued.
    2006: Price of basic Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Classic reduced to £1995 to clear stocks. 350 models discontinued.

Specifications

Top speed 70mph
    1/4-mile acceleration 21 secs
    Power18bhp
    Torque20ftlb
    Weight163kg
    Seat height760mm
    Fuel capacity14.5 litres
    Average fuel consumption70mpg
    Tank range 200 miles
    Insurance group5
    Engine size346cc
    Engine specification4 stroke, single, 4 speed
    Frame Steel cradle type
    Front suspension adjustmentNone
    Rear suspension adjustmentNone
    Front brakesDrum
    Rear brakeDrum
    Front tyre size2.75 x 17 in
    Rear tyre size3.00 x 17 in

Till date..it's believed dat Yamaha RD 350 has a much superior engine than Enfield Bullet 350!
    The fact is that hardcore rough bike lovers prefer second hand RD350s than Enfield Classic 350 (plastic body n left gear box)!
    Like yamaha Rx 100...Rde350 has a brilliant body n engine & these two yamaha bikes account for almost 65% of modified bikes due to strong engines n modification simplicity!

obviously eectric start bullets of 2007-2011 cant be compared to these...technologies n bike weights differ & it wud be unfair!!
    Asshole meets good girl → fcuks her over → She turns into a b!tch → She meets a good guy → fcuks him over → He turns into an asshole!