Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Body Image Quotes That Inspire

Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar

Default Celebrity Body Image Quotes That Inspire

She Said it: Celebrity Body Image Quotes That Inspire

From Lady Gaga to Kate Winslet, we love what these celebs are saying to help us feel great about our bodies!

Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

Kim Kardashian

“I have cellulite. So what?”

We covet this reality star’s cool confidence. In a world of stick-thin supermodels, she proves that a bodacious booty can be a very good thing. When she copped to cellulite in
    Cosmopolitan UK, she added, “I’ve never claimed to be perfect. It’s crazy anyone should assume that just because you’re in the spotlight, you’re flawless. Sometimes I pig out and I still feel great, and think, ‘That was so worth it!’” And don’t forget: The vast majority of women -- even thin, fit ones -- sport lumpy bits, so don’t let it sap your mojo.

Gabourey Sidibe

“One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body. I got tired of hating myself."

Sidibe hit the big screen in 2009’s
    Precious with her mahogany skin and generous curves, offering viewers a leading star unlike anything they’d ever seen before. Weighing in at about 350 pounds, the soon-to-be-breakout star, 28, radiated the kind of confidence not usually seen in even the thinnest of supermodels. That’s not to say Sidibe has never battled body image demons: Her first diet started when she was just 6 years old, she told Oprah. "I've never been a small girl,” she says. “One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body." That day came in her early 20s, when she finally became comfortable in her own skin. "I got tired of feeling bad all the time." Now, that’s a precious sentiment we’ll never grow tired of.

Kirsten Dunst

“I love my snaggle fangs. They give me character and character is sexy.”

While Americans spend billions of dollars on tooth whitening treatments and porcelain veneers, the 29-year-old Spider Man actress has chosen not to change her chompers just to fit the mainstream aesthetic -- despite nagging from her own mother to do so. Like Jewel and Anna Paquin, Dunst proves that you don’t need perfect teeth to have a gorgeous, radiant smile that beams confidence.

Jennifer Love Hewitt

"To all girls with butts, ****s, hips and a waist, put on a bikini -- put it on and stay strong."

Paparazzi shots come with celeb territory, but no one deserves the sort of public body bashing that Love Hewitt received when unflattering bathing suit photos were splashed across magazine covers and TV gossip programs. Guess what, people? You can be healthy and happy and not be rail thin! Shocking, we know. At 32, the actress credits her strong body image with positive thinking: "I fall asleep feeling beautiful. Then, in the morning, before I leave the house, I say five things I love about myself, like 'You have pretty eyes.' That way I can go out into the world with that little bit of extra confidence. It's a feel-good protein shake in my back pocket in case someone messes with me that day." We’ll drink to that!

Lea Michele

“I was one of the only girls in my high school that didn’t get [a nose job]. And if anybody needed it, I probably did. But my mom always told me, growing up, ‘Barbra Streisand didn’t get a nose job. You’re not getting a nose job.’ And I didn’t. That’s why I’m proud to be on a positive show and to be a voice for girls and say, ‘You don’t need to look like everybody else. Love who you are.’”

The 25-year-old
    GLEE star inspires young girls and grown women everywhere to embrace those body parts that might not be considered conventionally attractive. We’re psyched to feature Michele, who refuses to go under the knife simply in order to fit into some cookie-cutter definition of beauty. Sing it out loud: Independence is sexy.

Kate Winslet

“I have a crumble baby belly, ****s are worse for wear after two kids... I'm doing all right. I'm 33. I don't look in the mirror and go, 'Oh, I look fantastic!' Of course I don't. Nobody is perfect. I just don't believe in perfection. But I do believe in saying, 'This is who I am and look at me not being perfect!' I'm proud of that.'"

Now 35, the acclaimed actress and mom of two has been topping Best of Body Image lists for years, thanks to her dedication to promoting a real, healthy, attainable image of beauty. (Remember when she publicly blasted
    British GQ in 2003 for airbrushing away most of her BMI, proclaiming, “I do not look like that and more importantly I don’t desire to look like that.”?) In 2007, the Titanic star successfully sued a British magazine that had falsely stated she had visited a diet doctor. And just last month, Winslet partnered with fellow actresses Emma Thompson and Rachel Weisz to form the British Anti-Cosmetic Surgery League, promising that they would never undergo plastic surgery to alter their appearances and encouraging others to follow their lead. Winslet puts her money where her mouth is -- and we always love what comes out of it.

LeAnn Rimes

“What no woman or man needs is anyone telling them they are ‘too fat’ or ‘too skinny.’ That just adds to the many stereotypes out there about a person’s weight.”

We confess: We can sometimes be hypercritical of skinny celebs, forgetting that some women are simply naturally lean. Like many real women out there, the country singer, 28, is often criticized for being too thin, without considering that she may have a fast metabolism or build muscle easily. When she recently tweeted a honeymoon picture of herself in a bikini, followers called her “scary skinny,” but what’s scary is our tendency to jump to judgment. Rimes is right: Just as no one deserves to be publicly critiqued for being overweight, no one deserves to be humiliated for being too thin.

Nikki Blonsky

“I can do everything skinny girls can do, trust me. I honestly think Hollywood is getting real. They’re saying, ‘Hey this is what a lot of America looks like,’ a lot of America doesn’t wear a size 2. I think the studios and the media are starting to realize that overweight people want something they can relate to, so let’s give it to them.”

Like her sparkplug alter ego, Tracy Turnblad in
    Hairspray, Blonsky offers a genuinely positive portrayal of a plus-sized woman. Her confidence is infectious, making us truly feel like our self-worth doesn’t have to be dictated by the size of our jeans. We say, if you’re healthy, fit and happy, rock your size 16 pants with pride.

Tyra Banks

“Girls of all kinds can be beautiful -- from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain skinned, the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing and all in between. It’s not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box…Think outside of the box…Pledge that you will look in the mirror and find the unique beauty in you.”

Banks is certainly doing her part to encourage beauty in all shapes and sizes: She founded the TZone self-esteem camp for girls, has worn a 350-lb“fat suit” to experience the pain of obesity, and her international hit
    America’s Next Top Model has had special seasons devoted to petite models. Winners of the US version have included plus-size Whitney Thompson and 6’2” Ann Ward.

The longtime Victoria’s Secret and
    Sports Illustrated swimsuit model built an empire based on her looks, but was nearly dethroned in 2006, when unflattering bathing suit photos emerged alongside hurtful tabloid commentary like, “America’s Next Top Waddle.” But the fierce 37-year-old put on her best smile and fought back, donning a bathing suit on her talk show. She later told the New York Times, “What bothered me is that [my critics] were saying there’s something wrong with a woman’s body if she’s not super-skinny.”

Hum Banarasi.......... Colonel Ankhi_sena_mun's Avatar

Amy Adams

“Being pregnant finally helped me understand what my true relationship was with my body -- meaning that it wasn’t put on this earth to look good in a swimsuit. I was like, ‘Look, I can carry a baby! I’m gaining weight right, everything’s going well.’ And I’ve had that relationship ever since.”

It seems new moms are congratulated more on losing their baby weight fast than they are on actually creating, carrying and delivering the baby. Good thing we have level-headed role models like Adams; the flame-headed girl-next-door understands function trumps form when it comes to a woman’s body. As a result, the 37-year-old
    Fighter star was bestowed with more than one gift in the delivery room: In addition to daughter Aviana, she received a newfound sense of gratitude, compassion and wonder for her body.

Pink

“I get a lot of flak for it… people saying [my body] is not normal for a girl… But I’m okay with it. I think it’s because I was a gymnast for eight years, from ages four to 12. My body was made before my bones were fully grown. Gymnasts are short, stocky, muscular powerhouses.”

She might be named after a color, but her no-BS take on body image is pretty black and white: It’s cool to love yourself, no matter what you look like. Since Pink first hit the music scene with her androgynous looks and short, choppy hair, the singer, 31, has portrayed a fit image that sometimes catches flak for being “too masculine.” But she inspires us to keep working our abs, and we love her most recent girl-empowerment song, “Perfect,” which she wrote with her newborn daughter in mind: “You're so mean when you talk/About yourself. You were wrong./Change the voices in your head./Make them like you instead.”

Drew Barrymore

“God made a very obvious choice when he made me voluptuous; why would I go against what he decided for me? My limbs work, so I'm not going to complain about the way my body is shaped.”

Too often we forget that our body allows us to walk, run, dance, work, workout, hug, kiss, read, hear, see, taste and much, much more. As Barrymore, 36 -- who battled a distorted body image for years -- points out, it’s vital that we step back and thank our bodies for allowing us to live the lives we want. In the grand scheme of things, a few extra pounds don’t make a difference at all.

Jamie Lee Curtis

"The more I like me, the less I want to pretend to be other people."

You may recognize her as the Activia spokesmodel, but this statuesque beauty became a body image game changer in 2002 when she posed for More magazine wearing only underwear -- no makeup, no hairstyling, no airbrushing, nada; on the next page, the magazine showed a glam Jamie in an evening gown, with the disclaimer that her transformation took 13 people and 3 hours. It may have taken the 52-year-old actress decades to feel truly comfortable within her own skin, but we applaud her bravery in refusing to perpetuate the fraudulent notion that all of Hollywood looks camera-ready, all the time. Curtis now writes confidence-boosting children’s books, with titles like I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem. We can’t think of anyone better qualified to amp up our little ones’ self-assurance.