2 kids die after drinking tea
Two children of a family in Takalihaji village in Shirur taluka died of alleged food poisoning after drinking tea prepared in their house on Saturday. Two women from the family were also taken ill and are reportedly serious.
The police denied any sabotage or family rivalry, saying they suspected a pesticide or poisonous substance might have accidentally got mixed in the tea.
The deceased were identified as Pranjal Dhavale (5) and her brother Sangram (7). Two women, their grandmother Kamal Dhavale and Santabai Langhe, were undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Shirur.
"Kamal had prepared tea around 7 pm on Saturday.
As there was no electricity in the house at that time, we suspect that accidentally some pesticide or other poisonous substances could have got mixed in the tea," said Police Inspector Ashok Kshirsagar.