Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Photos Of Women And Their Guns

Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar

Default Beautiful Photos Of Women And Their Guns

New Photography Book 'Chicks With Guns' Shows "Unsettling" Images Of Women And Their Firearms

A Southern women dressed casually in jeans totes her child in one arm and a shotgun in the other, exuding an air of protectiveness. A female cop surveys a field near a highway, her firearm in tow. A young girl takes pride in a prized accessory: Rather than barrettes or purses, she carries with her a pink gun.
    There are countless reasons why women may choose to carry weapons, and Lindsey McCrum's new book, "Chicks With Guns" (Vendome Press, $45) attempts to explore each of them. Hunters, collectors and army members alike are displayed proudly carrying their firearms, setting a beautiful, if sometimes eerie, scene.

"'Chicks with Guns' is filled with images that are strikingly beautiful, yet often have a haunting or unsettling quality," writes former federal prosecutor Stephen L. Meager, in an essay that introduces the book. "In our time, few subjects provoke the range of emotions that guns do. Thoughts as varied as policies to prevent violent crime, the romance of the Old West, and even the implications of children playing with toy guns come to mind. No matter what images are evoked, the reality is that in this country, fifteen to twenty million women own guns. The sight of women with ostensibly deadly weapons (they are actually unloaded) challenges our preconceptions about the female or maternal role."

As for McCrum herself, she says "I have no personal involvement with firearms. The only thing I shoot are cameras."

Wherever You Are I'll Find You..Cause You're The One I Turn To
    Wherever You Be I'll Be With You..Cause You're The One My Heart Is Yo..I need you..

Alexandra and Truett

Alexandra and Truett, Houston, TX. Ithaca 20-gauge side-by-side. "Guns, like everything in my childhood home, were considered treasures and works of art."

Wherever You Be I'll Be With You..Cause You're The One My Heart Is Yo..I need you..

Anita

Anita, St Paul, MN. Glock .40-caliber & Remington 11-81 Police Model. "My great-great-grandfather was a cop in New York City. I imagine he carried nothing but a nightstick."

Ashton

Ashton, Atwater, CA. Colt .45 double-action New Service revolver & Ruger .44 Magnum single-action revolver. "Ever since I was little, I remember I was learning how to shoot and how to aim."

Ginny

Ginny, Long Island, NY. Sturm, Ruger & Co 20-bore over-and-under. "Stanley Harris of Harris Publications asked me to start a hunting magazine. Fast forward thirty years and we have published over forty gun titles, including "Guns and Hunting," "Deer Hunting Strategies," "Combat Handguns," and "Guns and Weapons For Law Enforcement.""

Allie

Allie, Roseburg, OR. DWM Luger military model of World War I period, in 9mm Parabellum. "I think it's a shame that more people, and especially women, have not known the positive impact shooting can have. Guns aren't all about violence. Guns can be about finding confidence and gaining a sense of accomplishment."

Courtney

Courtney, Houston, TX. Yildiz 20-gauge. "When my four-year-old son is playing with a play gun, it gives me the opportunity to teach him about gun safety."

Caitlin and Carolyn

Caitlin and Carolyn, Minneapolis, MN. Anschütz Fortner rifle with Altius Firearms custom stock / Anschütz Fortner rifle with Czech custom stock. "In the sport of biathlon, we use lots of skis but only one rifle."

Clara

Clara, Ellerbe, NC. Pink Ceská Zbrojovka Scout .22. "When I'm a little older and a little bigger and a little stronger, I'm going to shoot a shotgun. I tried it before, and well, let's just say I went backwards."

Jamie

Jamie, Loomis, CA. .44 Magnum Ruger Super Redhawk double-action revolver. "The Ruger means business, there's no question about it. It's menacing looking."

Lee

Lee, Ridgeland, SC. Boss 20-gauge side-by-side. "Each gun's unique history, it family owners before you, makes it all the more precious."

Morgan

Morgan, Pray, MT. .17 H.M.R Savage Model 93R17 bolt-action rifle with AccuTrigger, fitted with a Bushnell 3x-9x Leupold scope. "Usually I have a more powerful rifle than a .17 in my hand. After all, that's a gopher gun!"

Lynn

Lynn, Houston, TX. Sako .308 bolt-action rifle with scope. "It wasn't until after I was married that I started hunting."

Pamela

Pamela, Monte Sereno, CA. Freedom Arms .454 Casull. "I've had several men mention to me that the .454 Casull kicks too much for them. My response is that they're fighting it too much."

Jessica

Jessica, Bozeman, MT. Abercrombie & Fitch 20-gauge side-by-side. "I'll never forget the first time my father put a .22 in my hands."