Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The 10 Most Unpronounceable Car Names Ever

  1. #1
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default The 10 Most Unpronounceable Car Names Ever








    When visitors to the 2011 Geneva Show saw the plaque next to Pininfarina's concept car, they were faced with an almighty tongue-combobulator of a name. The Alfa Romeo Spider concept was called '2uettottanta' - a mash-up of Duetto and the word for '80' in Italian. Most English speakers just give up, but if you want to try, it's pronounced 'doo-ett-ott-anta'.






    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  2. #2
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default








    Sweden's most recognisable supercar brand famously appeared on Top Gear with a name card too big to fit on the lap time board. Even spelt correctly, Koenigsegg is a one mighty mouthful.







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  3. #3
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole








    In the days when having sixteen valves in your engine was a big deal, Fiat made an especially big meal of it with its Tipo. Rather than simply scrawling '16V' on the back of the car like everyone else, Fiat used up years' worth of red paint by spelling out the word 'Sedicivalvole' across the rump.






    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  4. #4
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Pagani Huayra








    Pagani's latest car is apparently named after an Andean god of wind. It's supposed to be pronounced 'ooh-aye-rah' but we'll just carry on wobbling our jaws around arbitrarily and hope something better than random noise comes out.







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  5. #5
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Changan Yuexiang








    Chinese Mandarin words pose eternal problems for lexicographers. They also pose plenty of problems for English speakers. We're still not sure how to position our jaws when pronouncing the name of Changan's Yuexiang.







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  6. #6
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Bewerp Savage Rivale Roadyacht GTS








    This syllabub of syllables from the Netherlands is guaranteed to give you a mighty migraine before you even get half way through its name. Did those mad Dutchmen just randomly put letters in a hat and tip them out?







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  7. #7
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Geely Gleagle GS








    The Chinese are the owners of quite a few European brands these days. Volvo, for example, is now under the control of Geely. So is that pronounced 'geely' or 'jeely'? Well, it's the latter. And the most tongue-twisting models the brand sells in its homeland is the Geely Gleagle GS. Just try saying that a few a times...







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  8. #8
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default SSC Tuatara








    Shelby Super Cars apparently searched 'for several months' before plumping for the name 'Tuatara' for what may very possibly become the world's fastest supercar. The name given to the 1,350bhp Tuatara is the Maori word for a special type of lizard found in New Zealand - apparently it's pronounced 'too-ah-tar-ah'. Say it too fast and it's more like 'twit-ara', which sums up our feelings on the matter.







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  9. #9
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Anything from Lamborghini








    No car company in history has had so many knotty names that lodge themselves in the mouth like impossible toffee as Lamborghini. It all started with the Countach ('coon-tash'), got worse with the Urraco (ooh-racko), went beyond a joke with Gallardo ('guy-ardo') and fell off a cliff with Murciélago ('moor-chell-ago').







    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  10. #10
    Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maa Ke Kadmo Neeche !!!
    Posts
    119,966
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Anything from Korea








    The Koreans are dab hands at selling us cars with unpronounceable names. Daewoo and Ssangyong are just the start. The worst culprit, though, is Hyundai. In the UK we tend to pronounce it 'high-oon-dye' but to Koreans this sounds all wrong. They actually pronounce it with an 'eh' sound at the end - more like 'hee-un-deh'. In the US, they just get round it by saying 'hun-day'.




    Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

  11. #11
    ▐║Mirchirific Moderator║▌ Brigadier General mirchi.foreever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ~~~missing~~~
    Posts
    25,339
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    Pagani's latest car is apparently named after an Andean god of wind. It's supposed to be pronounced 'ooh-aye-rah' but we'll just carry on wobbling our jaws around arbitrarily and hope something better than random noise comes out.




    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    Chinese Mandarin words pose eternal problems for lexicographers. They also pose plenty of problems for English speakers. We're still not sure how to position our jaws when pronouncing the name of Changan's Yuexiang.




    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    This syllabub of syllables from the Netherlands is guaranteed to give you a mighty migraine before you even get half way through its name. Did those mad Dutchmen just randomly put letters in a hat and tip them out?




    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    The Chinese are the owners of quite a few European brands these days. Volvo, for example, is now under the control of Geely. So is that pronounced 'geely' or 'jeely'? Well, it's the latter. And the most tongue-twisting models the brand sells in its homeland is the Geely Gleagle GS. Just try saying that a few a times...




    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    Shelby Super Cars apparently searched 'for several months' before plumping for the name 'Tuatara' for what may very possibly become the world's fastest supercar. The name given to the 1,350bhp Tuatara is the Maori word for a special type of lizard found in New Zealand - apparently it's pronounced 'too-ah-tar-ah'. Say it too fast and it's more like 'twit-ara', which sums up our feelings on the matter.




    Quote Originally Posted by sheikh View Post







    No car company in history has had so many knotty names that lodge themselves in the mouth like impossible toffee as Lamborghini. It all started with the Countach ('coon-tash'), got worse with the Urraco (ooh-racko), went beyond a joke with Gallardo ('guy-ardo') and fell off a cliff with Murciélago ('moor-chell-ago').




    I think these are pretty Easy to pronounce...for me
    Anyways, other information is useful!!!
    I am a different person- compared to- who I was this time the last year...

Similar Threads

  1. Temme their names !
    By PandaPo in forum International Celebrities
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-08-2011, 07:18 PM
  2. 33 Names of Things You Never Knew had Names
    By rishabhd in forum Chit Chat Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-10-2009, 01:37 PM
  3. Pls tell me the names of the gal
    By vampire1234 in forum Bollywood Celebrities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 08:29 PM
  4. names
    By henry_loveguy@yahoo.com in forum Sports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •