Thread: Top 10 Viral Videos Of 2011

Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar

Default Top 10 Viral Videos Of 2011

In 54 wide-ranging lists, TIME surveys the highs and lows, the good and the bad, of the past 12 months

Wherever You Are I'll Find You..Cause You're The One I Turn To
    Wherever You Be I'll Be With You..Cause You're The One My Heart Is Yo..I need you..

Default 1. Rebecca Black, "Friday"

Rebecca Black, 13, wanted to be a singer when she grew up. So her mother forked over $4,000 to production company Ark Music Factory to create a vanity music video for her. What was supposed to be a fun project ended up propelling Black, now the ripe old age of 14, to viral stardom. The song's lyrical platitudes ("Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday / Today it is Friday, Friday") and relentlessly catchy chorus led to the video racking up millions of views — and becoming YouTube's most "disliked" video ever, surpassing Justin Bieber's "Baby." Since "Friday," Black has released two more singles, though neither has the novelty appeal of her first go around. But Black needn't fret — at least once a week, her song is guaranteed to get stuck in our heads.

Wherever You Be I'll Be With You..Cause You're The One My Heart Is Yo..I need you..

Default 2. The Homeless Man with the Golden Voice

When a journalist filmed a panhandler who held a sign touting his "golden radio voice," a homeless man was thrust into an adoring, but ultimately harsh, spotlight. Ted Williams, a former radio announcer whose career dreams were dashed by drugs and alcohol, took his smooth baritone to countless morning talk shows and was given job offers from companies like the Cleveland Cavaliers. But Williams' redemption was sadly short-lived; the media glare resurfaced his criminal record and past family conflicts, and he checked into rehab twice this year.

Default 3. Volkswagen's Darth Vader Commercial

Volkswagen's charming Passat commercial was created for the Super Bowl. But it reached an even larger audience online, with more than 44 million views since it was uploaded in February. Its mass appeal is obvious: Take an adorable kid and add a beloved movie, and you get a heartwarming, fun ad.

Default 4. Michael Bolton, Lonely Island — "Jack Sparrow"

Saturday Night Live's digital shorts often get heaps of YouTube attention. But add a '90s crooner to the usual Lonely Island crew and you get more than 55 million views. "Jack Sparrow" features Michael Bolton, who shows up to a studio to record a club-friendly hit. But the "major cinephile" winds up singing about his favorite movies. The video brought Bolton back into the spotlight — though he should probably never dress in drag again.

Default 5. Father-Daughter Duet

If cute cats rule YouTube, then cute kids are certainly second in command. So when Jorge Narvaez and his daughter, Alexa, recorded a sweet cover of "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, the Internet paid attention, to the tune of 15 million views. The father-daughter duo appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and have uploaded several other popular covers. Hopefully Alexa won't be too embarrassed when she reaches her teenage years.

Default 6. Webcam 101 for Seniors

Bruce and Esther Huffman tried to use their brand-new webcam, and accidentally recorded themselves doing so. Their granddaughter uploaded the resulting clip to YouTube, and it went viral almost instantly. There are countless clips online of high-tech seniors, and most have few views. It was the Huffmans themselves, with their funny faces, bawdy quips and genuine shows of affection, who truly captured the Internet's heart.

Default 7. My Drunk Kitchen

Kids, don't try this at home. In her "My Drunk Kitchen" series, Hannah Hart sips and slurs her way through culinary creations like tacos, pancakes and poutine. The results vary considerably, but the process is always hilarious. (Though we sometimes worry when she deals with hot surfaces.) Hart could be sober and still create a hilarious cooking show — her booze-free sense of humor, which shows in her later YouTube clips, makes her an affable personality we hope to see more of in 2012.

Default 8. Anderson Cooper Cracks Up

Sometimes, a pun can be just too good. When Anderson Cooper discussed Gérard Depardieu urinating on a plane floor during his regular RidicuList segment, the toilet humor ("flying Incontinental") just wouldn't stop. And Cooper, a usually-serious journalist who reports from war zones and disaster areas, couldn't hold it together. Footage of him giggling spread far and wide online, and Cooper wound up placing himself on a later RidicuList.

Default 9. Dancing Thom Yorke

Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke received quite a bit of teasing for his dance moves in the band's video for the decidedly undanceable song "Lotus Flower." The video features Yorke thrashing around frenetically, making one strange face after another. The Internet quickly responded, dubbing Yorke's moves to artists like Beyoncé and MC Hammer. Now the dance moves make much more sense.

Default 10. Honey Badger

With scenes of Mother Nature and soothing classical-music soundtracks, nature documentaries tend to be nap-time material. But not when Randall narrates. When he taught us all about the fierce yet aloof honey badger in January, the result racked up more than 23 million views. And Randall has turned his YouTube views into serious cash; Honey Badger T-shirts and dolls are for sale, and the animal itself appeared on a commercial for pistachios. But we're pretty sure honey badgers prefer to snack on cobras. (A warning: This video features some strong language, and some gruesome scenes from the animal kingdom.)