Thread: Cannot remember names

Unregistered

Default Cannot remember names

Hello Preeto maam

I have a very bad memory when it comes to first names. I forget names in the next 15 seconds when someone introduces themselves. In a social situation I have to face very embarrassing situation as other's address me by my name and I am clueless what to call them!!

The funny thing is if it comes to something like bollywood movies I can watch it once and I can tell you the WHOLE story just be watching the movie once. I have always been an avg student (70-75% types).

What should I do to overcome this problem?

Moderator Major General galaxy_resident's Avatar

If you forget someone's name after two days, then its ok. But within 15 seconds is too short. Be a good listener when you meet someone, have all your concentration in the meeting. Better still, write down the names if you are meeting many people at once. If still you are not able to recall, then just ask them to repeat the name gently, it might happen that you are not able to get the name the first time. Its important to remember names, as a person's name is the most sweetest sound to him in the world!
    Fight your Fears and you will be in Battle Forever
    Control your Fears and you will be Free Forever

✿♥ mesmerized♥✿ Lieutenant-Colonel imeggz_leoness's Avatar

Got new samsung galaxy grand 2 on my wedding ani.

once sumbody told me, thr r two types of ppl in this world,
    one who forget faces n remember names n
    two, who forget names n remember faces.
    u r lucky tht atleast u can remember faces, othrwise not recognising sumbody is evn more insulting!
    anyways, evn i cannot remember names, its tooo complicated, so try n use tricks! like link their name to sumthing in ur mind or recall their name once or twice in ur mind. maybe that'll help!
    Close your eyes
    Clear your heart
    Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello Preeto maam

I have a very bad memory when it comes to first names. I forget names in the next 15 seconds when someone introduces themselves. In a social situation I have to face very embarrassing situation as other's address me by my name and I am clueless what to call them!!

The funny thing is if it comes to something like bollywood movies I can watch it once and I can tell you the WHOLE story just be watching the movie once. I have always been an avg student (70-75% types).

The best way is to correlate them to something like U r introduced to X and X does Y. If u remember Y then u can trace back to X. Also a good listener remembers everything.

♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

Hii!!

i understand ur problem... i dont forget names.. but i forget faces..

anyways brain is an organ that can always be trained.

to remember names.. use the technique of association..

associate a person's name with something..

for eg:

if u meet a guy named amit..

first ask him his spelling & make sure u repeat it after him[ this will aid u in remembering his name]

nxt suppose amit u met is talll...
    link him mentally[ dont say loud].. link him to amitabh bachchan.. [amit is tall & so is amitabh]...

& next time u meet him... instantly ur brian will recognize the link... amit & amitabh.. tall people...

try same thing with all names.. link it with somene or something[ if u like movies.. link them with movies]...

Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

Quote Originally Posted by sahana View Post
    u r lucky tht atleast u can remember faces, othrwise not recognising sumbody is evn more insulting!
    anyways, evn i cannot remember names, its tooo complicated, so try n use tricks! like link their name to sumthing in ur mind or recall their name once or twice in ur mind. maybe that'll help!

i forget faces... ohhh dear!! i just read this!!!! yes very true..

& trust me it is more embarrassing... coz people tend to think u are proud & arrogant & are avoiding them.. & many times i have gone to unknown people calling names of people who look similar... both cases are bad..

BUt names... i used to have around 60 students & knew everyone by name..
    Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

Banned Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello Preeto maam

Quote Originally Posted by sahana View Post
    I guess I am so messed up then! I forget both faces and names. Not in 15 seconds though!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmantra View Post
    The best way is to correlate them to something like U r introduced to X and X does Y. If u remember Y then u can trace back to X. Also a good listener remembers everything.
    Great advice , go with it and see if it will work.

Age of Ultron Brigadier General adirocksit's Avatar

only thing....TRAIN YOUR BRAIN !!!

Practice the following regularly - (you might need another person to help you out in this)

1) Tell your partner to pick any random 15 items (eg. potato, gun, scissors, comb, bangles,etc.) and read the names of the items one by one to you in any random order.
    2) Once he's done reading, you try to remember all the items and speak them one by one. Also, not only you have remember the names of the items but also in the same order that they have been told.

Obviously you won't be able to do it the first and second time...but once you do it....you go to next level...you increase the items and increase the speed...then you challenge yourself to remember all of them in the shortest time possible....that will sharpen your memory....
    Also, it would be better if your partner pick words which you have never heard.
    There are no strings on me!!