Thread: Disco legend Donna Summer has died aged 63

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ♥ek haseena thi♥ Field Marshal basanti<<<'s Avatar

Default Disco legend Donna Summer has died aged 63

Disco legend Donna Summer has died aged 63.
    According to US website, TMZ, who broke the story exclusively, the singer tragically lost her battle with cancer.
    She was a five-time Grammy winner, and made a name for herself as the Queen of Disco.
    Thank you bala

Born on 31 December 1948 in Boston, her real name was LaDonna Adrian Gaines. She then later changed her stage name to Donna Summer. She married actor Helmuth Sommer in 1973, but two years later the couple divorced. Donna, however, decided to keep his last name and so emerged her new stage name. They had one daughter together, Mimi.
    In the '70s, she made a name for herself with hits like Like Dance, Hot Stuff and Bad Girls.

Much of her success from the '70s is credited to her partnership with legendary producer, Giorgio Moroder. The result of which, according to TMZ, then later inspired acts like David Bowie and Duran Duran to dabble in the world of disco

She was well-loved by many famous faces the world over. Here she is pictured in December 2009 alongside actor and singer Will Smith, performing on stage at the Nobel Peace Prize concert in Oslo, Norway.

Thank you bala

She made music history by becoming the first artist to have three double albums get to number one on the US Billboard chart. In just over a year she also had four of her singles at number one in the USA.

In 1978 she crossed over into the world of acting and starred in 'Thank God It's Friday'. The movie didn't win much in the way of awards, but her song from the movie, Last Dance, ended up winning her her first Grammy award.

Here she is in 2006 pictured with her husband, Bruce Sudano. The couple married in 1980, and had two daughters together: Brooklyn (born in 1981) and then a year later, Amanda.

In 2004 she appeared on the TV programme Discomania.

Thank you bala

In the 1980s her music success continued as her songs 'She Works Hard for the Money' and 'This Time I Know It's for Real' hit top spots in the charts.

At the 1979 American Music Awards she was named Favourite Female Disco Artist. Yet another accolade to add to her already long list of prizes.

She also made headlines in the mid '80s after allegedly making anti-gay remarks. In response to the controversy, she wrote to ACT UP (an AIDS campaign group), saying it had been a 'terrible misunderstanding'. She went on to say: 'I was unknowingly protected by those around me from the bad press and hate letters. If I have caused you pain, forgive me.'

In September 2010 she made a guest appearance on American's Got Talent, and reports say she was in the recording studio in LA in late 2011, working on a track titled Angel.

Messages of sadness at her passing have come in from all around the world.
    On Twitter, her producer Nile Rogers, wrote: 'For the last half hour or so I've been lying in my bed crying and stunned. Donna Summer RIP.'

Thank you bala