Thread: Do men have to apply sunscreen as well?

New Born

Cool Do men have to apply sunscreen as well?

Hi Preeto, I wanted to ask whether it is important for men to apply sunscreen? I have seen how women check the SPF rate before buying a sunscreen. What does it signify? I believe using products made of natural ingredients and off late have been using Parachute advansed body lotion summer fresh because my skin is very dry. I then saw that it has double sunscreen as well, this is when this question came to my mind. Please help.

♡♥£☋¢Ǩ¥ ★☆★ ☾ћi¢Ҝ¥♥♡ Field Marshal sens's Avatar

Hii!!

Usually women care more for their skin, & hence use sunscreen . Also their skin is more delicate.

Yes Men can also use sunscreen .SPF is SUn Protection Factor. usually spf 15 is sufficient for blocking sunrays damaging ur skin. But if u are having a skin sensitive to sun.. or if u are going outdoors in very harsh sun, then u can try SPF of higher level.. u get spf 60-80 also... there are different level of SPF starting from 10. You can choose as per purpose or ur like.
    You get sunscreens of natural product companies aslo these days[ companies claiming to be natural].. but all lotions & creams u get are anyways chemical. nothing is purely natural.

& i ahve no idea about the parachute lotion u mention here... plz check details on the product.
    Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

~ Lazy girl ~ Captain wonderkid's Avatar

Yes it is absolutely important to wear sunscreen, whether you are male or female. Men get sunburnt too! If you are in India where the rays of sun are very harsh, you must use sunscreen whenever you go out. SPF rate (Sun Protection Factor) indicates to what extent the cream would block UV rays. Use one with SPF 15 or above.
    Do not argue with an idiot.
    He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience...!!

SB Addict

Men do not need to use Sun Screen. It is a marketing myth created by FMCG companies. Women show skin and are exhibitionists. Therefore, they need some protection. Men don't, primarily because they prefer to retain their body hair that acts as the first layer of protection.

You have failed to mention if you shave your hair or you are bald. That could be an issue. Else, just soak up the sun without any worry and get rid of that lotion.

Logical Guru is the internationally renowned, right thinking moral source of good advice on all topics related to Sex, Spirituality, Religion, International Travel and the Law.

Lightbulb

Hello Gopal Rao,

You have asked a very good question there. Many individuals around the world feel that they know the answer because that is what they see on big Adboards, Television, etc. I would throw light upon how much sun protection you need and how much exposure you need. Firstly, go through the points writing below, it is about Vitamin D:

Vitamin D prevents osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and even effects diabetes and obesity. Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. That's probably because it's free: your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin. Drug companies can't sell you sunlight, so there's no promotion of its health benefits. Truth is, most people don't know the real story on vitamin D and health.

• Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
    • The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
    • It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body.
    • A person would have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
    • The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
    • People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
    • Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
    • Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
    • Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -- by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
    • It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
    • If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
    • Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
    • Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
    • The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.
    • Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.
    • On the issue of sunlight exposure, by the way, it turns out that super antioxidants greatly boost your body's ability to handle sunlight without burning. Astaxanthin is one of the most powerful "internal sunscreens" and can allow you to stay under the sun twice as long without burning. Other powerful antioxidants with this ability include the superfruits like Acai, Pomegranates (POM Wonderful juice), blueberries, etc.

Diseases and conditions cause by vitamin D deficiency:

• Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
    • Sufficient vitamin D prevents prostate cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, depression, colon cancer and schizophrenia.
    • "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
    • Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
    • Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese people need twice as much vitamin D.
    • Vitamin D is used around the world to treat Psoriasis.
    • Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia.
    • Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
    • Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches and pains.
    • Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% - 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week.
    • Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type 1 diabetes over the next twenty years.

So if you are fair, 10-15 mins of exposure in 'proper sunlight with UV rays reaching your skin' in shorts is good enough. If you are dark-skinned, then you'll need to spend more time.

You can put your questions here if you have any doubts.

Thank you
    It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life so interesting. . .

..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar

Be a Man..
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

✿♥ mesmerized♥✿ Lieutenant-Colonel imeggz_leoness's Avatar

yes u can use it...
    Got new samsung galaxy grand 2 on my wedding ani.

chirpy angel Lieutenant-Colonel barbiedoll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gopal rao View Post
    Hi Preeto, I wanted to ask whether it is important for men to apply sunscreen? I have seen how women check the SPF rate before buying a sunscreen. What does it signify? I believe using products made of natural ingredients and off late have been using Parachute advansed body lotion summer fresh because my skin is very dry. I then saw that it has double sunscreen as well, this is when this question came to my mind. Please help.
    Dear buddy, sunscreen is essential to any skin irrespective of gender. SPF means sun protecting factor and the number signifies the number of times the skin is protected when compared to the bare skin. For e.g. if it takes 10 minutes for unprotected skin to show redness, then an SPF 15 sunscreen correctly applied, will take 15 times as long or 150 minutes to burn.

Though these sunscreens do not completely avoid sun tan, they still protect our skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays which can otherwise lead skin to wrinkles. I havent heard of the product you started using but yes most of the creams these days come with SPF included. So, that should equally protect your skin.

✿♥ mesmerized♥✿ Lieutenant-Colonel imeggz_leoness's Avatar

@barbie- exactly... u put it in a good way!
    Got new samsung galaxy grand 2 on my wedding ani.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FeeDback View Post
    Hello Gopal Rao,

You have asked a very good question there. Many individuals around the world feel that they know the answer because that is what they see on big Adboards, Television, etc. I would throw light upon how much sun protection you need and how much exposure you need. Firstly, go through the points writing below, it is about Vitamin D:

Vitamin D prevents osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and even effects diabetes and obesity. Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. That's probably because it's free: your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin. Drug companies can't sell you sunlight, so there's no promotion of its health benefits. Truth is, most people don't know the real story on vitamin D and health.

• Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
    • The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
    • It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body.
    • A person would have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
    • The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
    • People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
    • Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
    • Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
    • Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -- by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
    • It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
    • If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
    • Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
    • Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
    • The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.
    • Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.
    • On the issue of sunlight exposure, by the way, it turns out that super antioxidants greatly boost your body's ability to handle sunlight without burning. Astaxanthin is one of the most powerful "internal sunscreens" and can allow you to stay under the sun twice as long without burning. Other powerful antioxidants with this ability include the superfruits like Acai, Pomegranates (POM Wonderful juice), blueberries, etc.

Diseases and conditions cause by vitamin D deficiency:

• Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
    • Sufficient vitamin D prevents prostate cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, depression, colon cancer and schizophrenia.
    • "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
    • Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
    • Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese people need twice as much vitamin D.
    • Vitamin D is used around the world to treat Psoriasis.
    • Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia.
    • Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
    • Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches and pains.
    • Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% - 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week.
    • Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type 1 diabetes over the next twenty years.

So if you are fair, 10-15 mins of exposure in 'proper sunlight with UV rays reaching your skin' in shorts is good enough. If you are dark-skinned, then you'll need to spend more time.

You can put your questions here if you have any doubts.

Thank you

Hi Gopal Rao and thank you FeedBack for the great post. This is such an eye-opener. There are so many things that men tend to neglect in the earlier stages of their lives leading to rough and dry skin in the later years. I have also been using Parachute advansed body lotion summer fresh because its claims that it has double sunscreen. It also has mint in it which I remember my mother saying has anti-ageing and anti-tan elements in it.

Banned

Srk ka emami for men use karo.

Waise it depend on you work in Sun or shade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gopal rao View Post
    Hi Mr Gopal. Good question. men think that they are rugged and don't need things that women wear...something like the sunscreen. Let me ask you a question. Does the sun only shine on a woman and not on you? No right? Men are equally prone to the sun and get sunburns and rashes just like women. The sun rays during the rainy season are more concentrated with UV rays than during the summers. They are extremely harmful for the skin...so applying sunscreen is a must.

It is a coincidence that I have also been trying Parachute advansed body lotion summer fresh for the only reason that I don't have to waste money buying two lotions...one for my body and the other for the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical_Guru View Post
    Men do not need to use Sun Screen. It is a marketing myth created by FMCG companies. Women show skin and are exhibitionists. Therefore, they need some protection. Men don't, primarily because they prefer to retain their body hair that acts as the first layer of protection.

You have failed to mention if you shave your hair or you are bald. That could be an issue. Else, just soak up the sun without any worry and get rid of that lotion.

Logical Guru is the internationally renowned, right thinking moral source of good advice on all topics related to Sex, Spirituality, Religion, International Travel and the Law.
    Sunscreen is important for men and women both. It protects against UV light exposure, which can cause skin cancer. Being from an Indian decent our skin has a lot of melanin already that protects against UV light induced skin damage but using sunscreen acts as an additional prevention, which in my opinion is important. Also it prevents from sun burns and darkening of skin ( due to melanin over production, which your skin produced when it thinks that it is being attacked by a lot of U.V rays)

I don't understand how using sunscreen and being an exhibitionist are linked together. Men expose their hands and face too and skin is skin.