Thread: Exceptional Singers who quit Playback singing for Devotional singing

Smile Exceptional Singers who quit Playback singing for Devotional singing

The following two singers quit active Commercial playback singing for devotional singing:

1. Vijay Benedict
    2. Anuradha Paudwal
    3. Shiraz Uppal

Thumbs up Vijay Benedict

VIJAY BENEDICT - former Bollywood playback singer

Vijay Benedict is an Indian former Bollywood playback singer who sang many songs for Bollywood films in the 1980s. He made his debut as a singer for the hit 1982 film Disco Dancer singing the popular title song "I Am a Disco Dancer" for actor Mithun Chakraborty. After this he was frequently used as the voice for songs of Mithun Chakraborty's films. He formed a successful collaboration with music director Bappi Lahiri and director Babbar Subhash subsequently singing songs for many of Babbar Subhash's films with Bappi Lahiri as music director. He also worked with other music directors like Laxmikant Pyarelal, Anand-Milind and Nadeem-Shravan and also sang for actors like Govinda,Jackie Shroff and Aamir Khan.

BUT In 1991 he quit playback singing for Bollywood films WHEN HE REALIZED THAT MONEY & FAME IS OF NO VALUE THEY CAN NOT GIVE U PEACE & ALSO CAN NOT SAVE UR LIFE,EXCEPT THE TRUE & LIVING GOD,AFTER A HEARTBREAKING & SAD INCIDENT IN HIS LIFE,WHEN JESUS TOUCHED HIS HEART & RECIEVED A WAKEUP CALL TO SERVE THE LORD and He is now a Gospel Singer,& now HIS LIFE IS TOTALLY DEDICATED & DEVOTED FOR JESUS CHRIST & HE IS USING HIS SINGING TALENT ONLY FOR jesus in sharing the word of god.

I was born in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh in a family of seven children. After completing my postgraduate studies in Business Management from the University of Allahabad, I wanted to become a Business Executive. But it must have be the Lord's hand that brought me into films.
    I joined the film industry to get public and professional recognition. There is no other forum in the sub-continent unlike the west where aspiring talents have abundant opportunities. I have recorded playback for over thirty five films working with top Hindi film music directors such as Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Usha Khanna, Anu Malik and Anand-Milind. Most of my songs have been with Bhappi Lahiri, one of India's biggest and most successful music directors. Some of my biggest hits have been with him.
    I have sung for leading heroes and contemporaries like Anil Kapoor, Jackie Shroff, Sunny Deol, Govinda, Shatrughan Sinha, Shashi Kapoor, and with nearly all the playback singers right from the late Kishore Kumar to Asha Bhonsle; Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Abhijeet, Alka Yagnik and Kavita Krishnamurty.
    I sang the theme song 'I am a Disco Dancer' from the smash hit film 'Disco Dancer'. The song sparked off a craze, so much so that even the Russians were reported to be humming to the catchy number. I became known as superstar Mithun Chakraborty's voice. I have also done a lot of concerts together with Mithun. We share a great relationship because he knows that I'm also very fond of social work so we often did charity shows together for orphans and widows.
    I became the first singer in Hindi films to gain a gold disc with a first song and had achieved the highs that every artist desires and dreams of. At a concert at London's Royal Albert Hall the audience gave me a 15-minute standing ovation - a rare achievement for Hindi celebrities and especially for Indian audiences. They forced me to keep returning to the stage several times even after the show had ended. Two hours after the show, I came out of a gala dinner well past midnight to find the crowds still waiting for me in the cold London evening.
    At New York's Madison Square Garden, I was performing with Mithun Chakraborty, Salma Agha and other singers. As I appeared on stage the people began to shout and sing so loudly that they drowned my voice. Unable to make out whether it was a favourable reception or not I stopped singing and asked the crowds if they didn't like me. "No" they shouted back and said, "We are enjoying it. We want to sing with you"
    'Disco Dancer' was my dream debut, a virtual newcomer to the Hindi entertainment scene that catapulted me overnight to the heights of fame and glory. I had everything I wanted and more and there was no stopping that drive. I was busy making money, enjoying the popularity and being invited to concerts in Dubai, the United Kingdom, the United States, Israel, Australia and New Zealand among other countries.
    I had everything going perfectly well as a highly acclaimed singer. I was basking as a rising global star with millions of fans and followers. But my story is about how God touched me in the saddest time of my life.
    The brutal murder of my younger brother in Germany stopped me in my fast tracks to rethink about my life and its purpose. As I was vying to become number one in Bollywood, when suddenly one day I got a telegram from the Indian consulate in Bonn that my younger brother who was doing well in the hotel industry in Germany, had been murdered and that I would have to go and collect his body.
    My brother had wanted to put a stop to some drug dealings that had been going on at the hotel where he worked. He refused to give in to death threats by those involved. They warned him not to interfere because it was dangerous. One night they killed him and threw his body in the lake, but the killer was caught.

It was a very sorrowful and devastating experience for me. I couldn't help weeping openly as I stood looking at his room and all the material wealth he had acquired in Germany. I found that he had everything he wanted. Every kind of material item was there except my brother. That really hit me hard. It made me realize that tomorrow I would also have to go and leave everything behind. I realized then that I had acquired so much wealth, popularity and fame but it was all going to be of no use if one day I too would leave everything behind me and go.
    That was the turning point in my life that led me to search God and reality. I returned to India with these thoughts troubling me. It got to the point where I would roam Bombay's Juhu beach all night searching for an answer. On one particular night, the police arrested me thinking I might have been involved in smuggling or some kind of criminal activity. They let me go once they realized who I was
    My search for answers led me to many places. Coming from a Roman Catholic background it led me to churches. I'd go to Mount Mary and ask the priest every morning to pray for me but I wouldn't find peace. I went to a lot of gurus, spending hours with them doing pooja and penance (Hindu religious rituals) but I still found no peace.
    One day, I came across some born again Christians whose way of life, spontaneity, and worship, slowly and surely brought me to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. I could feel their love for me. They cared and I could feel the spirit of God giving me the peace that I was searching. I experienced calmness in my heart.
    From a vengeful person, I was transformed into a peace loving one. I was also able to forgive the killer of my brother. I was determined to kill him when he came out of jail after seven years. I did planed to do this with some bad friends in London. I don't know if I would have gone through with that plan. I'm not a man of violence. But there was this deliberate thought in my mind of trading revenge.
    It was only when I met these Christians who showed me their love and care. They pointed me to Jesus and His love that He forgave everybody, even as He was dying on the cross. I was very touched by His sacrifice. I felt His love descending upon me and I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour. The choice I made was final. It was at a cost. Jesus said, "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?" I have lost my soul in Bollywood and found it back in Jesus Christ! I found peace, joy and happiness. And I clung to it.
    It meant that I no longer have to do the things everybody else had to do to get ahead. I used to look at man trying to be good to people, wanting to be on their good side and going out of my way to please them. But my whole attitude changed when I became a Christian. I decided to look to God alone and that whatever would come to me would be what God would give me.
    'Anything for the glory of God' became my commitment. My focus shifted to recording gospel albums and singing in evangelistic rallies. The pastor of The Assemblies of God church in Bombay where I found Jesus would place the guitar before me every time he saw me in church. I'd end up singing in church on Sundays and I was drawn to Gospel music.
    The fourteen albums that I have recorded are based on reflections of what my mind passed through series of songs tilted to a theme. It may be one of worship, praise, or witness for Christ. 'Socho Jeevan Mai Kya Paya' is based on my favourite scripture, 'What good is it for a man to gain the whole world yet loose his soul? (Mark 8:36).
    I praise God when friends comment about 'Yeshu Tu Hai Mahan' that sold over a 100,000 copies. All proceeds from the devotional cassettes are rolled back for further productions and other social and missionary causes. The Lord has been using me not only in music but also in ministries such as Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, Women's Aglow and Teen Challenge and raising funds for disaster relief projects.
    It is important for me that as a Christian, my life should be a testimony for the Lord that the people around me see the changes in my life. He places a burden in my heart to minister to my media friends.
    It is in this God has blessed me with an able helper and a committed Christian in my wife Rebecca. She's a great help to me in whatever I do. At times I feel that she's more spiritual than me. I am a born again Christian because of my wife and her parents.
    As we dedicate our lives together for the Lord's cause we endeavour to bring forth our two children, Reuel 15 and Joash 10 in the Lords ways. We praise Him that He is leading them to partake in our Gospel music ministries. The Lord is leading us to train Christian children in Gospel singing. We covet your prayers.

Interview excerpt:
    CT: But dint you find Bollywood luring with the success you had?

VB: Yes, Bollywood was very luring. There is a lot of money in it. It is the most successful industry in India. But once I came to Christ, like I said, there was no turning back. I knew Bollywood was not what I wanted. It indeed is very mesmeric and can easily tempt one. But thankfully His grace held on to me and led me to use my talent to worship Him. Despite getting many offers, I tread on this path and I still continue to glorify Him through music.

CT: How important is worship?

VB: Worship should be an integral part of EVERYONE'S life. God made us to worship Him and He loves those who worship Him. Our life is to be a worship before our God. Through worship we come closer to God and feel His love.

Smile Anuradha Paudwal

Name Full / Real Name : Anuradha Paudwal
    Born : October 27, 1954 (age 57)

Notable Films : Aashiqui, Beta, Dil, Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin, Ram Lakhan, Tezaab
    Contributed by : Ravi Prakash
    Anuradha Paudwal is one of the most talented playback singers in the history of Hindi films and perhaps one of the most controversial artistes. Her career started with the film Abhimaan starring Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan, the music director was S. D. Burman, though Lata Mangeshkar claims that Anuradha was given a break by her brother Hridhaynath Mangeshkar for a Marathi film. But it was Burmandada's film that got her the recognition of a singer.
    Anuradha Paudwal was a student of Xavier's college who participated in the college's cultural programmes, but she did not have a background of film music. She married Arun Paudwal who was the music arranger of S. D. Burman.

In 1976 Anuradha got her big break for the film Kailcharan starring Shatrugan Sinha and Reena Roy. This Subhash Ghai film had music by Rajesh Roshan. Her first solo number was for the film Aap Beeti starring Hema Malini and ShashiKapoor and music by Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Anuradha Paudwal got some good numbers from the duo who were churning out hits one after the other. She also sang intermittently for other music directors such as Rajesh Roshan (Des Pardes), Jaidev (Dooriyan, Laila Majnu), Kalyanji-Anandji (Kalaakar, Vidhataa) and Usha Khanna (Souten, Sajan Bina Suhagan). Meanwhile her husband Arun Paudwal in the pair of Anil-Arun gave many hit numbers in Marathi films for which Anuradha sang some resplendent numbers in Marathi like Disatein Mazlaa (Ashtavinayak), Raja Lalkaari, Kaalya Maatita Maatitaa, etc.

Anuradha Paudwal became a singer to reckon with when she rendered some exceptional numbers for the film Hero, music by Laxmikant-Pyarelal. Her song for Mere Mann Bajaa Mirang Utsav won her the first Filmfare award in 1985.

She also came into focus when she challenged Lata Mangeshkar's claim to having recorded the maximum number of songs in a single day. She also accused the Mangeshkar sisters for indulging in monopoly. This outspoken nature at times landed her in trouble as the music directors of the industry feared to face the wrath of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle and they often avoided Anuradha Paudwal. Many a times Anuradha's songs were dubbed by Lata such as Main Teri Dushman (Nagina) and many such songs.

Disillusioned, since her career was not making any headway, she joined hands with Gulshan Kumar who was about to bring a revolution in the music industry. Her success streak began from the film Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka, Tezaab, Ashiqui, Meera Ka Mohan, Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin, Ram Lakhan, etc. Her success in a way set a trend for the singers, such as Kavita Krishnamurthy, Alka Yagnik and Sadhana Sargam, who started getting better songs to sing and through T-series Anuradha Paudwal brought the playback singers into focus. Her new found status also got her involved in some controversies like dubbing songs of her contemporaries' (the infamous dubbing of Alka Yagnik's songs of the films Dil and more recently Itihaas), also her much rumoured affair with Gulshan Kumar. Her dominance in the T-series had fueled the rumours.

Despite the controversies, Paudwal continued to conquer new horizons and winning accolades (Anuradha has won three Filmfare awards in a row for Aashiqui, Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin and Beta). She was on the verge of being the next Lata Mangeshkar. Even the legendary composer O P Nayyar commented, "Lata is finished, Anuradha has replaced her." During this period, everything seemed to be working for the singer who left her contemporaries far behind. Kavita Krishnamurthy has always stated that, "Among my counterparts (Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Sadhana Sargam, etc.) Anuradha is the best singer."

At her peak Anuradha Paudwal announced that she would exclusively sing for T-series only. This stand benefited Alka Yagnik who just zoomed to the top with her newfound association with Nadeem-Shravan and Anu Malik, who had stopped composing for Gulshan Kumar due to some differences. As she stopped singing songs for films and concentrated more on devotional and cover-version albums, she harmed her immensely successful career. For almost five years, Anuradha Paudwal did not sing for many films and for any other music company.

It is only recently that she started rendering songs for companies outside T-series. After the brutal murder of Gulshan Kumar, her hold over T-series diminished. Anuradha Paudwal has started singing outside T-series and met with lukewarm response. So far she has given a few hits like Kismat Se Tum (Pukar) Akeli Hai Yeh Miss Khiladi (Mr & Mrs Khiladi), Zara Aankhon Se Kajal (Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehtein Hai), Chaha Hai Tujhko (Mann) and Jogiya (Deewane).

But only time will tell if this talented crooner can regain her past glory. Yes she was on the verge of becoming next Lata ...

Interview excerpt
    I: You have done pretty well with some great film songs and avoided numbers like Kambaqht Ishq and Ishq Kamina. You have also dabbled in ghazals.
    AP: I try my hardest not to compromise on quality. Maybe it's my voice, that no one has come to me with songs like the ones you mentioned above! When I was with T-series, I didn't do any stage shows for 8 years. I have started doing them recently and they have done very well. I have also given a lot of hits and some of the films I have sung for are slated for release.
    I like ghazals, but we need good female lyricists. Ghazal is a male domain because most ghazals have lyrics dealing with liquor and lyrics that seem inappropriate for a lady to sing. Only Begum Akhtar could sing of intoxication and still sound graceful. I still love singing devotional songs. For me music is a holistic experience with the divine and a blessing from above, otherwise someone like me who is not technically trained, could not have reached the heights I have.

Lightbulb Shiraz Uppal

Pakistani Singer Shiraz Uppal quits music for Islam

​Islamabad, March 19, 2012:

Pakistani music industry has been dealt with a blow after their star singer-cum-composer, Shiraz Uppal, has decided to say goodbye to his professional singing career in a bid to spend his rest of the life preaching Islam.

The musician with a spell bounding voice started his professional career by mesmerizing the Pakistani audience by giving them his first album named “Tu ha Mera”. He went on to produce three more successful albums, with “Ankahi”
    being his latest one.
    Uppal owns a music studio “S.U studios” in Lahore as well, in which renowned singers have worked together. Atif Aslam, Zeb and Haniya, Amanat Ali, Fareeha Perveez and Noori have worked at the studio.
    Uppal has now followed in the footsteps of Junaid Jamshed, who had earlier set an example for the rest of the musicians by picking out the exit door from the music industry in search of peach and promotion if Islam.
    Jamshed, who started a clothing brand after quitting his singing career, has given proper reason behind his exit.

However, unlike Jamshed, Uppal has not identified the reason behind leaving the industry.
    He updated his Facebook page, last week:
    “I would like to thank you all for liking and enjoying my music… It was a Beautiful journey but everything comes to an end one day… So I said Good Bye to my Musical Career by my own choice… I just wished and prayed to my creator
    that how can I make u happy??? And he poured a light in my heart that opened my eyes and the path was lying clear in front of me… May Allah guide us all to the right… Amin”
    He added: “I was in search of this that am I doing anything to make ALLAH happy? How can I make you happy and then
    I got it how I can make HIM happy”
    Let’s see how much this young Pakistani musician can hold on to his NAFS, having already got the example of Junaid Jamshed coming back with a remake of a song “Dil Dil Pakistan” with Salman Ahmed.

Vijay Benedict

Anuradha Paudwal

Shiraz Uppal

Devotional song by Vijay Benedict

Devotional song by Anuradha Paudwal

SB MahaGuru Colonel

good concept... but who said music is prohibited in islam?
    take care!