Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: How Wal-Mart got a foot in the door of India's retail market: Reuters

  1. #31
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,834
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracefulguy View Post
    Retail completely bund ho jaega............ye kisne kaha ??

    Wo log Kanpur ke Narain Purwa mien Wallmart nahi khone wale Ricky.........:-))

    So all those shops are safe........:-))
    Bhai, jab shops khulengi then it will affect at least 5 Km surrounding. Aur agar jo Mall road me khuli ti Narain pura me bhi farak padega
    let it rain over me....

  2. #32
    ..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wanderer
    Posts
    12,076
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post
    Sir problem is not only that, Jis FDI ke liye ye bola ja raha hai ki ye middle man ko hata kar naya system develop karega, jara ye sonchiye ki un Middle man ka kya hoga??
    So,
    What is your take on Computerization of Banks?
    Machine culture in Industries?

    Middle man point has been brought in by the Political Parties, I do not see how a "CONSUMER" is worried about Middle man...? As a Consumer, you should want Lower Prices. What has a Consumer got to do with who keeps his job and who not..?

    If we are so interested in helping the Middle man earn profits, then maybe we should bring in another middleman between the Wholesaler and Retailer. This way many more will get work, right..?

    When Companies like Walmart enter a Country - "THEY CREATE THOUSANDS OF JOBS".

    Plus, Your Middle men eat most of the Profit of poor Farmers, Walmart does not do that. So, how is it bad..?
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

  3. #33
    ..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wanderer
    Posts
    12,076
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracefulguy View Post
    Retail completely bund ho jaega............ye kisne kaha ??

    Wo log Kanpur ke Narain Purwa mien Wallmart nahi khone wale Ricky.........:-))

    So all those shops are safe........:-))
    Walmarts are open Only in Metros or Major Cities.
    There would be minimal affect on the "Middle men" or "Retailers".
    Tell me how does a Walmart in Chandigarh affect the Middle Men/Retailers in Patiala..? (75 Km)
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

  4. #34
    Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    53,741
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    its already too late; we are privatizing every possible infrastructure, communication, healthcare etc and now retail.
    this is like selling the nation and watching it; without enough efforts their own; just sell the nation; govt comes and goes and they only doing the job of a caretaker. taking care of the people money; that anyone can do.

    they are not doing enough to preserve the agricultural production of farmers; neither they are finding adequate markets to sell them; now they want walmart's huge freezers to preserve them and save fruit decay; i dont understand. but soon walmart will decide the price of those production; initially they will pay more; but eventually they will lobby it. which will lead they are the only bulk buyers and then they will fix the price to farmers. more suicides; but the aam janatha will always pay more. we are talking about soon to be trillions of money retail business in india. walmart already spend 125 crores to make way to india; which is obviously bribe.

    this is national suicide. it has to be stopped.
    Last edited by ignoramusenator; 11-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.


    Make My Day

  5. #35
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,834
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    its already too late; we are privatizing every possible infrastructure, communication, healthcare etc and now retail.
    this is like selling the nation and watching it; without enough efforts their own; just sell the nation; govt comes and goes and they only doing the job of a caretaker. taking care of the people money; that anyone can do.

    they are not doing enough to preserve the agricultural production of farmers; neither they are finding adequate markets to sell them; now they want walmart's huge freezers to preserve them and save fruit decay; i dont understand. but soon walmart will decide the price of those production; initially they will pay more; but eventually they will lobby it. which will lead they are the only bulk buyers and then they will fix the price to farmers. more suicides; but the aam janatha will always pay more. we are talking about soon to be trillions of money retail business in india. walmart already spend 125 crores to make way to india; which is obviously bribe.

    this is national suicide. it has to be stopped.

    They really ignoring the big problem lying ahead in front of petty issues of today.

    Creating bhasmasur for future.
    let it rain over me....

  6. #36
    ..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wanderer
    Posts
    12,076
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    its already too late; we are privatizing every possible infrastructure, communication, healthcare etc and now retail.
    this is like selling the nation and watching it; without enough efforts their own; just sell the nation; govt comes and goes and they only doing the job of a caretaker. taking care of the people money; that anyone can do.

    they are not doing enough to preserve the agricultural production of farmers; neither they are finding adequate markets to sell them; now they want walmart's huge freezers to preserve them and save fruit decay; i dont understand. but soon walmart will decide the price of those production; initially they will pay more; but eventually they will lobby it. which will lead they are the only bulk buyers and then they will fix the price to farmers. more suicides; but the aam janatha will always pay more. we are talking about soon to be trillions of money retail business in india. walmart already spend 125 crores to make way to india; which is obviously bribe.

    this is national suicide. it has to be stopped.
    Brother,
    That is an Assumption. And let me assure you we can assume the negative impacts of EACH AND EVERY decision.
    The point is, Walmart brings in Thousands of Jobs, lower prices and Foreign Investment in India.

    Also, I am not sure if people here know how Walmart works. I think they assume it is like Big Bazaar where just anyone can go and buy anything they wish. You need to have a Special Card made on the name of your Firm to visit a Best Price. It is reserved to the people who have Retail and Wholesale outlets. At least that is what they try and do.
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

  7. #37
    Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    53,741
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Simple logic; simple example..

    China mobile have 700 million subscribers; which is China state owned.

    BSNL have 90 million subscribers. considering 1 billion indians and assuming 80% use mobiles; the rest of the subscribers are privatized; indian govt earns no direct profit from private companies they only get RENTALS.

    Another example; in under developed states in india; example; how do they make bridges ? they have already privatized this sector; so investment comes from japan or china or any other country. not only bridges; water; irrigation, drainage, roads etc.

    Now; govt do not have to spend money for building this; they get loans from outside; and then some goes to party fund, some is gone to ministers own pocket, then they will take the lowest bid and make a bridge.

    Now, after completing this bridge, you will hear the term TOLL, i hope you know this. this is a payment collected from end users; which is comman man.

    I believe the bid now goes to local lobby; whom collects tolls everyday, for years and years; this is decided by the foreign bank of company who aided the fund to build it.

    As years pass, new bus routes comes, new developments comes and the users increases; making it a highly profitable business. the local lobby and the foreign company makes doubles or tripples their money; bcuz the earlier agreements with the govt will be based on years of toll collection. and comman man is looted as the govt is not ready to build it themselves or collect the toll. (if govt collect toll that will be another bandh or strike thats another matter)

    Its easy way to privatize all and watch the show; anyone could do this; but the end of suffering is always from the common man.

    I also do not believe that more jobs are generated by retail outlets; bcuz; the amount of employees works in well advanced hypermarkets are less is compared to smaller supermarkets who is not well equipped with technology.

    And obviously private foreign companies are not going to spend their profit in india; they will take it elsewhere. Here you will have your economy which depends on investments going down with your own faulty laziness.





    Quote Originally Posted by a_decent_1 View Post


    Brother,
    That is an Assumption. And let me assure you we can assume the negative impacts of EACH AND EVERY decision.
    The point is, Walmart brings in Thousands of Jobs, lower prices and Foreign Investment in India.

    Also, I am not sure if people here know how Walmart works. I think they assume it is like Big Bazaar where just anyone can go and buy anything they wish. You need to have a Special Card made on the name of your Firm to visit a Best Price. It is reserved to the people who have Retail and Wholesale outlets. At least that is what they try and do.


    Make My Day

  8. #38
    Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Happy New Year maccha :D
    Posts
    30,529
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    Good inputs decent Riky amit gracy.

    Wal-Mart aaye ya uska baap.

    Local chain ko big bazaar more store reliance fresh nahi ukhaad paye toh Wal-Mart kya ukhadlega?

    I still go to baniya ki dukaan.

  9. #39
    Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Happy New Year maccha :D
    Posts
    30,529
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    One has to have knowledge of local market before commenting on fdi retail.

    Woh aaye toh nuksaan hoti... Yeh woh..

    All assumptions.

    Nothing else.

  10. #40
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,834
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gudu Gudu Returns View Post
    Good inputs decent Riky amit gracy.

    Wal-Mart aaye ya uska baap.

    Local chain ko big bazaar more store reliance fresh nahi ukhaad paye toh Wal-Mart kya ukhadlega?

    I still go to baniya ki dukaan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gudu Gudu Returns View Post
    One has to have knowledge of local market before commenting on fdi retail.

    Woh aaye toh nuksaan hoti... Yeh woh..

    All assumptions.

    Nothing else.
    Put that all aside, just ek baat batao, why govt is not keen to develop infrastructure for storage on it's own, why??

    Does that create no employment, does that not amount to staying of our money in our country, does that not amount to non destroying of current employment structure (so called middle-man involvement)

    Some are giving logic it will remove middle man, hence prices will be low??

    I give you one example, UP has developed a system of purchasing of sugar cane from farmers directly by the mill, that mean, Producer is directly buying the raw material from source, does that mean we are getting a low price in sugar?? No, does that mean farmer are getting their amount on time & correctly?? No.

    So, how the govt will ensure correct pricing to consumers & as well producers??

    Moreover, the companies which are coming in India for business are not any charitable organisation, they are only here to earn profit. So giving logic of such low pricing & payment of correct amount to farmer is really illogical. you want foreign investment, say that na, why creating havoc of low pricing, all know it will not help in reducing the prices.
    let it rain over me....

  11. #41
    ..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wanderer
    Posts
    12,076
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    Simple logic; simple example..

    China mobile have 700 million subscribers; which is China state owned.

    BSNL have 90 million subscribers. considering 1 billion indians and assuming 80% use mobiles; the rest of the subscribers are privatized; indian govt earns no direct profit from private companies they only get RENTALS.

    Another example; in under developed states in india; example; how do they make bridges ? they have already privatized this sector; so investment comes from japan or china or any other country. not only bridges; water; irrigation, drainage, roads etc.

    Now; govt do not have to spend money for building this; they get loans from outside; and then some goes to party fund, some is gone to ministers own pocket, then they will take the lowest bid and make a bridge.

    Now, after completing this bridge, you will hear the term TOLL, i hope you know this. this is a payment collected from end users; which is comman man.

    I believe the bid now goes to local lobby; whom collects tolls everyday, for years and years; this is decided by the foreign bank of company who aided the fund to build it.

    As years pass, new bus routes comes, new developments comes and the users increases; making it a highly profitable business. the local lobby and the foreign company makes doubles or tripples their money; bcuz the earlier agreements with the govt will be based on years of toll collection. and comman man is looted as the govt is not ready to build it themselves or collect the toll. (if govt collect toll that will be another bandh or strike thats another matter)

    Its easy way to privatize all and watch the show; anyone could do this; but the end of suffering is always from the common man.

    I also do not believe that more jobs are generated by retail outlets; bcuz; the amount of employees works in well advanced hypermarkets are less is compared to smaller supermarkets who is not well equipped with technology.

    And obviously private foreign companies are not going to spend their profit in india; they will take it elsewhere. Here you will have your economy which depends on investments going down with your own faulty laziness.
    But, they would pay taxes. Which would be an Income for India. !!

    As far as tolls are concerned I have objected to it more than once with a simple question : When we pay Road tax when we buy cars, then why pay toll tax for the same road..? I however, do not see how this is related to walmart, because walmart does not ask for any money, they just provide you some stuff at lower cost. NOT ALL, but SOME.. !!

    You should have not compared India with China. India is a Democracy, the Government changes every 5 years. It is not the same with China. You would not have people taking to streets over a decision made in India. But, in India, Public takes to streets on every issue hyped by the Media.

    The way it works is that the Government does not find the need to make such huge Investments as it gets loads of money as taxes if they simply let the private players in. It makes their work easier. The development takes place, people get what they want and Government gets a huge tax income. Again Walmart is not a small project and certainly not one that just anyone can do. You'd get everything there, barring Ships and Airplanes maybe. If it was easy, Big Bazaar, Reliance etc would already have ventured into it. Not to forget the Sahara Q Shop, which is coming up.

    Lets say, I am more worried about getting the Rice at a genuine price at Walmart than going to the Baniya in my street and paying him twice for the same commodity. !! That's my major concern as of now. You have some genuine concerns, I agree, but who knows if they'd materialize. The offer is too good for me to be afraid of a few possible setbacks.

    G'day
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

  12. #42
    ..Yaar Patialavi.. Colonel a_decent_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wanderer
    Posts
    12,076
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post
    Put that all aside, just ek baat batao, why govt is not keen to develop infrastructure for storage on it's own, why??

    Does that create no employment, does that not amount to staying of our money in our country, does that not amount to non destroying of current employment structure (so called middle-man involvement)

    Some are giving logic it will remove middle man, hence prices will be low??

    I give you one example, UP has developed a system of purchasing of sugar cane from farmers directly by the mill, that mean, Producer is directly buying the raw material from source, does that mean we are getting a low price in sugar?? No, does that mean farmer are getting their amount on time & correctly?? No.

    So, how the govt will ensure correct pricing to consumers & as well producers??

    Moreover, the companies which are coming in India for business are not any charitable organisation, they are only here to earn profit. So giving logic of such low pricing & payment of correct amount to farmer is really illogical. you want foreign investment, say that na, why creating havoc of low pricing, all know it will not help in reducing the prices.
    What kind of Logic states that a Profit-Earning Organization cannot give you a product at a lower price...?
    My Personality depends on who I am.My Attitude depends on who you are.
    a_decent_1™ ©®

  13. #43
    Moderator Colonel gracefulguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,583
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    its already too late; we are privatizing every possible infrastructure, communication, healthcare etc and now retail.
    this is like selling the nation and watching it; without enough efforts their own; just sell the nation; govt comes and goes and they only doing the job of a caretaker. taking care of the people money; that anyone can do.

    they are not doing enough to preserve the agricultural production of farmers; neither they are finding adequate markets to sell them; now they want walmart's huge freezers to preserve them and save fruit decay; i dont understand. but soon walmart will decide the price of those production; initially they will pay more; but eventually they will lobby it. which will lead they are the only bulk buyers and then they will fix the price to farmers. more suicides; but the aam janatha will always pay more. we are talking about soon to be trillions of money retail business in india. walmart already spend 125 crores to make way to india; which is obviously bribe.

    this is national suicide. it has to be stopped.


    Frankly speaking people wont care to understand why a Malayali guy from India can start chain of outlets in 22 countries called 'lulu' with more than 20,000 employees ...................but cant do same here in India ........while Wallmart can.


    Any guesses why this is happening ???
    "I'm always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught"

  14. #44
    Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    53,741
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    He is starting one of the biggest mall in Cochin. Not sure but it will open this year.

    But man; there is another side to this story.

    In Abu Dhabi, Govt is closing down over 1000 groceries; and they are paving ways to bring smaller lulu chain.
    Now big shark ate all the small fishes and 1000 families have to look elsewhere. (by end of this month, no more small groceries here)

    Similarly;

    Now walmart starts in towns with over a million population; later on they will try to get into smaller towns too.

    Like; small cars are sold in india more than bigger cars; they will make JVs with local supermarkets and start selling lower price than anyone initially; and after some more time; they will decide what is the price of all possible day to day items.

    Quote Originally Posted by gracefulguy View Post
    Frankly speaking people wont care to understand why a Malayali guy from India can start chain of outlets in 22 countries called 'lulu' with more than 20,000 employees ...................but cant do same here in India ........while Wallmart can.


    Any guesses why this is happening ???
    Last edited by ignoramusenator; 12-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.


    Make My Day

  15. #45
    Banned Lieutenant-Colonel
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,082
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    He is starting one of the biggest mall in Cochin. Not sure but it will open this year.

    But man; there is another side to this story.

    In Abu Dhabi, Govt is closing down over 1000 groceries; and they are paving ways to bring smaller lulu chain.
    Now big shark ate all the small fishes and 1000 families have to look elsewhere. (by end of this month, no more small groceries here)

    Similarly;

    Now walmart starts in towns with over a million population; later on they will try to get into smaller towns too.

    Like; small cars are sold in india more than bigger cars; they will make JVs with local supermarkets and start selling lower price than anyone initially; and after some more time; they will decide what is the price of all possible day to day items.



Similar Threads

  1. FDI in retail: Top 10 brands that may come to India
    By basanti<<< in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. WallMart & Retail Market of India
    By rajpaldular in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-11-2011, 11:53 AM
  3. Higher wages put India on back foot
    By funky_sam in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
  4. Shoplifting? India No 1 in retail theft
    By mann4u in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
  5. India's retail boom story
    By passion_unlimitedd in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •