Thread: Dhoni doesn't deserve a place in Test team: Amarnath

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Default Dhoni doesn't deserve a place in Test team: Amarnath

The 'quit captaincy' calls for Mahendra Singh Dhoni grew louder, with former selector Mohinder Amarnath questioning his place in the Indian team, accusing him of blocking the entry for other deserving wicket-keepers.

"Who is Dhoni to say that I want to stay there [in the team] and take this challenge [of captaining the side]. What has he done?" asked the hero of India's 1983 World Cup triumph, at a promotional event in Pune.

Dhoni has refused to step down from captaincy despite the team's humiliating loss to England in Kolkata insisting he doesn't want to run away from the challenge.
    "He doesn't deserve a place in the team. There are better keeper-batsmen in the country. They are not getting an opportunity because he is the captain," he said.
    Former India players like Dilip Vengsarkar and Krishnamachari Srikkanth have similar views.

Amarnath believes that the only reason why Dhoni is being given an extended run as captain is the World Cup triumph last year.
    "He has been captaining the team for the last one year because India won the World Cup. We are talking about one-day cricket here and not Test cricket," Amarnath said, while talking about his dismal Test performances.
    Speaking to Times Now, Amarnath revealed said that "certain internal reason" prevented the selection committee from replacing Dhoni as captain after eight successive Test defeats in England and Australia
    "Definitely, there were discussions to replace Dhoni and people were agreeing to do so; but for some internal reason, it didn't happen.
    "I will not like to divulge what were the reasons, but when the time is right, I will let the people of this country know about the reasons," Amarnath, the hero of India's 1983 World Cup victory, said.
    In a roundabout manner, Amarnath also admitted that there were external pressures on the selection committee when the topic of Dhoni's removal was broached.
    "In Indian politics and cricket, it's always the same. There are people who are controlling the game and other people are scared to take a stand," he told the television channel.
    "I believe that Dhoni should be removed as captain from the Tests. He hasn't set the Test stage on fire. A captain's place in the team should be secure and I don't see his place secured in the side. He doesn't have the technique for Test cricket," Amarnath said.
    It was widely believed that the veteran of 69 Tests and 74 ODIs, who was in line to become the chairman of selectors, was removed at the behest of Board of Control for Cricket in India president N Srinivasan as he had a fall-out on Dhoni's captaincy issue.
    To a question whether someone showed him the constitution to overrule the decision of selection committee, he smiled and replied, "I would neither agree nor deny this.
    "But I don't think that any selector is aware about the constitution. I am a person who doesn't believe in being controlled. I love to do my work freely. I don't think there should be interference in selector's job," stated the man who was known for scoring plenty of runs against the likes of Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding, Imran Kha in his heyday.
    Amarnath also believes that the selectors need to speak to Sachin Tendulkar
    "Look, age has everything to do in life. Even players like Javed Miandad, Brian Lara found it difficult once they crossed mid-30's. So selectors should sit and speak with Sachin."

Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

Default 'Srinivasan did not approve decision to replace Dhoni'

After dropping a bombshell about interference in selection matters, former national selector Mohinder Amarnath today named BCCI president N Srinivasan as the person who overruled the "unanimous" decision to replace Mahendra Singh Dhoni as captain after India's eight consecutive overseas Test defeats.
    "It was a unanimous decision, all five selectors supported it. The Board President (Srinivasan) did not approve the unanimous decision to replace Mahendra Singh Dhoni," Amarnath told CNN-IBN.
    "Why do you need a selection committee there if one person needs to be at the helm of affairs. We should not be there. Who knows the constitution of BCCI? Is the current selection committee aware of it? I was not aware of the constitution of BCCI" he said.

"We are working on trust there and we are doing our job honestly. It was a unanimous decision of the selection committee to replace Dhoni with somebody after the disastrous series in Australia," he said.
    Amarnath, who played 69 Tests and 74 One-dayers for India, said the selection committee had picked 17 players for the tri-series but had not named a captain.
    "We selected the team for the traingular series, selected 17 players but we didn't select the captain. The captain was selected by somebody else," Amarnath, one of India's heroes in the 1983 World Cup triumph, said.

Asked about the specific reasons behind Srinivasan's non-approval, Amarnath answered, "When you respect a person, you don't ask questions...but my question here is you have a selection committee those who think what is best for Indian cricket then why are they not given free hand?
    "We were trying to look ahead, we wanted a young captain to come in specially in triangular one day series so that we can go ahead and do something better in near future....If we don't look ahead, we won't have a good team in near future."
    Amarnath however did not want to drag the Chennai Super Kings angle into the issue.
    "The Chennai Super Kings does not come into this. This is between captain and Mr Srinivasan. I have nothing to say on that. I'm not in favour or against anything like that," he added.

Default Dhoni's calm reply to Amarnath & Co

As former selector Mohinder Amarnath and other former players launched an offensive on Mahendra Singh Dhoni, questioning his place in the Test side, India's captain was calmness personified on the eve of the fourth and final Test against England in Nagpur.

"As ex-cricketers we respect their opinion, but we have our own problems to solve and that's what is of foremost importance to us on how to get the things right.
    "We don't have to worry about things that are not in our control, and definitely all of them are reputed ex-cricketers who have played for India," Dhoni said, on Wednesday.

Amarnath, sacked earlier this year as national selector after just one term, launched a scathing attack on Dhoni, saying: 'Who is Dhoni to say that I want to stay there [in the team] and take this challenge [of captaining the side]. What has he done? He doesn't deserve a place in the team. There are better keeper-batsmen in the country. They are not getting an opportunity because he is the captain.'

The former all-rounder's criticism comes in the wake of back-to-back defeats to England, which has the home team trailing 1-2 in the four-Test series.
    Dhoni also took a potshot at former players who are critical of his captaincy and the team, asking them to come up with solutions rather than point out mistakes.
    "If you are part of Indian cricket what you will see is that everything is under the microscope and everybody has an opinion about cricket. The good thing or bad thing is that everybody is asking questions which we are also asking, but nobody comes up with a solution, and that is the brilliant part of it. That is how it goes in India," he said.
    Dhoni said it is natural for every team to go through a rough time when senior players retire, as it takes newcomers time to get settled to the rigours of Test cricket.
    "Everybody was talking about this phase in Indian cricket where the big players will move on and the pressure will come on the youngsters who may go through a rough patch.
    "Of course, we struggled in the last two Test matches, and if you ask big questions after two tough Test matches, I think, it will come in the future too where we will lose two Test matches and people will say all the youngsters should go out and somebody else should come in. You have to be consistent and you have to keep faith in the players," he said.
    He pointed out that despite winning the 2007 Twenty20 World Cup and the 50-overs World Cup last year, and taking the team to No.1 ranking in Tests, he never let success get to his head.
    "One thing good I have done is, whether after winning the 2007 World Cup or the 2011 World Cup, when people appreciate me a lot, I didn't go to seventh heaven.
    "And so when people criticize me it is the same. I know in India the kind of fan-following we have, we have extreme opinions and we praise someone highly if he does well and then we start pulling the same individual down. I always say it is very important to be in the middle path and that is how we will enjoy the sport," he asserted, urging fans to be a bit restrictive with their opinion.