Thread: Issue with parents: unwanted guests of parents

Unregistered

Post Issue with parents: unwanted guests of parents

Hi,

I'm really frustrated because my house has become a refugee camp. At least once a month, my parents will have their friends (and often their friend's friends) from other countries coming over to stay at our small flat for a few days (to a week).

Those visitors are often noisy and occupy the limited space in our tiny flat. I'm still studying and technically not even of legal age yet. I can't possibly find another place to stay. I find it difficult to study at home and finish my work when we have guests around. And studying outside is not an option either because I can't concentrate when I'm around people.

My parents know that I do not like having guests around but they simply do not care or can't be bothered to do anything about it.

I know it seems rude and probably selfish of me but I really do want to get rid of them. So what should I do? The only possible solution is to move out but I can only do so in a few years after I'm done with school and have gotten a job.

I'm just feel so frustrated. Any solutions? I would like to think that I'm quite open to any suggestions.

From,
    Frustrated girl

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Well, its a situation all right. there are many families who love to welcome guests and that's not a bad thing really, because it is a part of Indian culture to welcome people. however, things have changed and so have the needs of the families, and I can understand that you would be needing time and space to study.
    There's nothing else you can do but to sit your parents down and ask them for some time out from the guests. Say exactly what you have said here- that you are actually wanting to move out of your house because they are not being able to get their priorities right. Explaining and convincing them is actually the only way out, you know.

going to a library and studying there is one option.....

Your parents need to understand your need or privacy and peace but apparently the don't. It's hard to change them without causing mush drama.. So you better start staying out of the house for longer time- like studying in library etc. and just come home for sleeping/eating/cleaning till you move out.

I faced this a lot. And there are 3 ways you can deal with this:-

1. Discuss it with your parents. Calmly state them your reasons and how frustrating it is when someone who wants to study but is not being supported by parents due to their lack of intellect and confidence to ignore and make the relatives understand the situation.

2. Scream and fight for your right. This might lead to them understanding the gravity of the situation.

3. Lock yourself in a room. Buy a pair of earplugs easily available at a medical store costing 10 bucks or something and start studying. This might be a test for you as well. What if in future you have to study in worser conditions than these.

Banned Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I'm really frustrated because my house has become a refugee camp. At least once a month, my parents will have their friends (and often their friend's friends) from other countries coming over to stay at our small flat for a few days (to a week).

Those visitors are often noisy and occupy the limited space in our tiny flat. I'm still studying and technically not even of legal age yet. I can't possibly find another place to stay. I find it difficult to study at home and finish my work when we have guests around. And studying outside is not an option either because I can't concentrate when I'm around people.

My parents know that I do not like having guests around but they simply do not care or can't be bothered to do anything about it.

I know it seems rude and probably selfish of me but I really do want to get rid of them. So what should I do? The only possible solution is to move out but I can only do so in a few years after I'm done with school and have gotten a job.

I'm just feel so frustrated. Any solutions? I would like to think that I'm quite open to any suggestions.

From,
    Frustrated girl
    Got a job? Move out!