Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering drop out; what to do now...??

Unregistered

Default Engineering drop out; what to do now...??

hello madam,

I am 22 year old guy n recently left engineering because I could not even clear 1st year in 3 attempts.

My father is a businessman but he does not want me to help him out as he considers me useless.

I have completed Diploma in mechanical engineering after 10th std.

please suggest me some courses so that I can rebuild my carrier.

I am quite depressed these days & I dont have any source of motivation.

please help me out

Start afresh or go for AMIE (i hope you know what it is). You can also look for a job and gain some experience.. and maybe you can go back to college a couple of years down the road. The world is all yours, conquer it man, you are just 22.

Moderator Major General galaxy_resident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    hello madam,

I am 22 year old guy n recently left engineering because I could not even clear 1st year in 3 attempts.

My father is a businessman but he does not want me to help him out as he considers me useless.

please help me out
    1. Engineering is a professional degree so to seek any other degree, you will have to do a Master's degree in it so as to get a good job. For example, if you do Bsc you will have to do Msc for better prospects. Whereas if you do BE, it is alone to get a good job.
    2. Thousands of Engineering students are studying that, so why are you failing? Try to understand the reason for your failure. If others can pass BE, why cant you?
    3. If you are interested in management side, you can do BBA and MBA after that.
    The problem with internet quotes is that you can't trust their authenticity.
    - Abraham Lincoln

SB Champion Lieutenant Inspector Pathan's Avatar

i would suggest if you borrow some money from your father and go abroad sometimes it happens this way where you are you dont get anything and once you change your place geographically things start to go your way

SB MahaGuru Lieutenant-Colonel imperium's Avatar

Hey Brother.. I can understand the heat of the moment...
    Many a times in life things doesn't go in our way.. We are shattered, broken and practically unaware of the next step..
    After being constantly poked by our parents.. "Ab Kya.. ?? What are you thinking about your future and this kinda stuff..." we are still unable to do what is correct for us..

For you my friend I'll suggest that find another way out.. find the area of your interest first.. chahe BBA ho, BCOM ho, Btech hi fir se kyu naa ho.. just find the thing which is right for you.. as far as engineering is concerend.. Diploma in Mechanical Engineering se seedhe 2nd yr admission milta hai.. thoda basic clear karlo apna.. and then get in back in engineering..
    A man may show as reckless a courage in entering into the abyss of himself.

New Born

Certified qualification does make life easier. So don't give up on studying just yet. Engineering doesn't seem to be your strong suit; but since you already have diploma in mechanical engineering.- you could probably try to convert it into a related discipline, for e.g. a civil engg. degree - provided that you're interested in designing structures. Oftentimes drop-out engineering students take up mgmt, accountancy, marketing courses and - to their own surprise - do well too. There are lot of opportunities in commerce and IT sector these days so see if you like something in there. Specially in IT field there are several short career-courses. Having said that, I would still encourage you to get a bachelor's qualification if you can.

Good luck!

Few of mates who faced similar (not same) tried their hands in Army, Real estate, Call center. I would suggest you to ask help from your parents and do what you find is most interesting.

New Born

hello madam,

please help me out

See I am also a drop out of engineering (but E&C), I know how it will be in life facing everyone. See world is big enough do not worry. If you are ready to move to new place try to go for job search in Ahmadabad, Pune, Bangalore and Chennai. These places have manufacturing industries present which helps you to find jobs. You can get at least 7k to 8k. Forget about your relatives who will be there when you have money (personal experience), but one thing, you have to spend at least 3 months in any one place in search of job. You may find difficult in Chennai (due to language problem), but nice place to start your carreer. Go through your diploma subjects before going to any interview. Don't worry I have many friends in my life who are earning 6 figure salary just having diploma. Finally where there is a will there is a way and never say never. good luck

New Born

- Few pointers
    - Dress sharp, speak and write well- Appearance is half the battle. Have good English reading/writing skills and dress in crisp, ironed suits with well coordinated ties and shirts when going for interviews. You will be amazed how just having good speaking and writing skills is such a valuable commodity- even in India.
    - Engineering may not be your forte, but you might have a head for numbers. Do the GMAT if you can. Get a score of 650+ and mention it on your resume if you do. Looks impressive to some especially if they did their MBA's abroad.
    - Try courses in Animation, Photography, graphics design, or basic programming. Not much, but they will get your foot in the door.
    -Don't give up on your Dad. He might have said this out of anger probably because he is dissapointed and expected more from you. It will pass. You are his son. He wants to see you succeed in this world, not fall flat. Try again in a couple of months time when he might have a different opinion.

Failing to become an engineer is not the end of the world. Some people find this out late in life and are stuck doing a job they hate because they thought it would make them pots of money or make their parents proud. Its not worth looking back in thirty years with regret. This is an awakening for you and that's how you should look at it. You are good at something- just explore every option and find out what it is.

Better see 3 Idiots

New Born

Dear Buddy. Same case with me. Doing Engg. in 1989. Tucked 2 times. My Dad was a very big Shot in Central Govt. Job. Joint Sec. level. Left studies. worked as a labourer (Majadoor/baledar) then went to work as a computer operator. 1997 - 2004 then opened my own Photo studio. Completed my BCA Distant Education Programme got 75.6 %. Now I feel nothing is Difficult. its only in the Mind. Take a break, Catch a job small or big dos n't matter. this will change UR Head for sometime. Then rethink. Ur Parent will also secretly love & help U.

New Born

hello madam,

please help me out
    hey join some 15days or 30days courses like CNC machines, Pro-Engg, CAD\CAM and jump to job.. Trust me CNC machines is gud course

ALL the BEST!

New Born

I am also in a similar position.Except that i turned 21 a few days ago and i am a E&C dropout.I had joined in 2010 but due to various issues both physical and mental,I went into depression and i failed to clear 2nd year infor two years.i.e writing all 15 back papers for 4 semester and failing to clear them.I only cleared three of them. Now i am at home and yet to remove my markscards from the college. I want to join BCA from next year but because of 3 and half year gap i am feeling i will not get a job. I am also very depressed and demotivated. Some friends of mine are still in college struggling to pass. I don't know what i should do? can i get little suggestions too?

Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar

hello Gudu sir,

please help me out
    There are things a man can do and a man can't do.

For some it's known before they even start.

Some know it midway.

Some when they fail.

You've failed thrice.!

What I suggest u is.. Give it one more try. .. Just to.make sure your choice was completely wrong and only then hang ur boots and join ur dad's business.!
    आपका अपना,
    Gudu Gudu ರಿಟರ್ನ್ಸ್

New Born

Default hello

hi, take some time out and think about what you want to do ?

Your father has the right to say so as you have failed and let him down..

have faith and move on!! try to take the positives from your defeats rather the fact ki u wasted 3 years..