Thread: The Most Unorthodox Celebrity Moms

Mr. Imperfect! Field Marshal sheikh's Avatar

Default The Most Unorthodox Celebrity Moms

These famous mothers march to the beat of their own drums when it comes to parenting. Check out the interesting methods Gisele Bundchen, Alanis Morissette, Alicia Silverstone and others use raising their tyke

Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayee Ho
    Kismat Pe Naa Aaaye Yakeen....

Few celebrities; parenting techniques have gotten more media attention than those of Mayim Bialik. The mom of two practices lots of components of "holistic parenting," but it was the fact she breastfed her youngest son, Fred, until he was 4 that may have generated the most buzz. And it;s something Bialik was clearly proud of.

Gisele Bundchen is such a proponent of breastfeeding, she believes that all women should be legally forced to do it. "There should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months," the supermodel told Harper's Bazaar U.K. in 2010. Not surprisingly, she took quite a bit of heat from other moms and even the breastfeeding advocacy group La Leche League over the remark. "One mother doesn't have to be wrong so that another mother can be right," the group's executive director Barbara Emanuel told The New York Post shortly after Bundchen's comments were published. "There are lots of choices out there for women, and La Leche League respects those choices." Prior to that interview, Bundchen, who is now mom to 3-year-old Benjamin and 5-month-old Vivian, also caused a stir when she claimed to a Brazilian website that she had already potty-trained her son at 6 months, saying that after her morning and afternoon breastfeeding sessions she knew the little guy had to go and would hold him over the toilet. The early potty-training's official name is "elimination communication," and was also used by Bialik. It involves parents watching for signals from their tots and bringing them into the bathroom … before it's too late.

"Clueless" actress Alicia Silverstone has always been into health. The 36-year-old is a vocal vegan and animal rights activist, wrote a vegan cookbook called "The Kind Diet," and currently operates a blog called The Kind Life. But it was a video she posted on her website in the spring of 2012 -- when son Bear Blu was 10 months old -- that shot her philosophies into the spotlight. The video showed Silverstone chewing a breakfast of soup and veggies and then feeding it to her son out of her mouth. "Yum! I fed Bear the mochi and a tiny bit of veggies from the soup ... from my mouth to his. It's his favorite ... and mine," she wrote along with the video. "He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I'm eating. This video was taken about a month or 2 ago when he was a bit wobbly. Now he is grabbing my mouth to get the food!" The video sparked controversy over whether or not the practice -- dubbed premastication -- was hygienic, but Silverstone has defended her methods. "I can understand that it would make some people feel uncomfortable, possibly, because it's new to them," Silverstone told "Entertainment Tonight" in April 2012. "But I do want to let you know that this has been going on for thousands of years -- still going on all over the place -- and it's natural."

Alanis Morissette dove into the practice of attachment parenting when she welcomed son Ever via drug-free childbirth at home after a 26-hour labor in December 2010, and has been touting the practice ever since. Attachment parenting involves "baby wearing" -- carrying a baby or putting him or her in a sling across your body (never a stroller) as much as possible -- as well as "co-sleeping." "I personally believe that the attachment stage, done well, can circumvent countless addictions later in life because many of these addictions are often a temporary attempt at feeling this sense of connection. If a child's needs during this stage of development are not met, he or she will be staving off a haunting sense of cellular disconnection and loneliness for a lifetime," Morrisette wrote in a piece on Huffington Post in June 2012. "They will not have effectively internalized a loving nurturance as their own love-style." Fortunately, it sounds like the co-sleeping part of the deal hasn't interfered with Morissette and rapper hubby rapper Mario "MC Souleye" Treadway's love life. When asked on "Chelsea Lately" last year when the couple gets to have sex, the songstress replied with, "All the time. When don't we have sex?"

Despite the fact that Madonna rose to fame thanks in part to a young generation watching her buzzy music videos on MTV in the '80s and '90s, she didn’t want her own children doing the same. "My kids don't watch TV," she told London's Harpers & Queen in 2005. "We have televisions but they're not hooked up to anything but movies." At the time Madonna was married to director Guy Ritchie and was mom to two children, Lourdes, now 16, and Rocco, now 12. She has since gotten divorced and doubled the size of her brood by adopting two children from Malawi, David and Mercy. "TV is trash," she added. "I was raised without it, I didn't miss anything. TV is poison. We don't have magazines or newspapers in the house either."

No matter how big Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise's daughter gets, she never seems to be too big to be carried. While no one paid much attention the first few years, now that little Suri has reached age 7, getting constantly carted around by mom seems a little odd (not to mention bad for Katie's back). Though some have said she carries her daughter to shield her from the paparazzi, we can point to tons of very famous celeb parents (Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt; Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck; and Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale, for example) who are often swarmed by paps, but still seem to encourage their kids to stand on their own two feet.

Oh, Gwyneth. The trouble with doling out parenting advice, is that people are going to jump all over you when they think you’re doing something wrong. That happened earlier this year when the 40-year-old actress, blogger, and cookbook author revealed that she sometimes puts her kids -- Apple, 9, and 7-year-old Moses with rocker husband Chris Martin -- on a low-carb diet. "Sometimes when my family is not eating pasta, bread or processed grains like white rice, we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs," she wrote in her latest cookbook, "It's All Good." The 40-year-old later tried to clarify. "They have tons of cheat days and tons of cheat meals," she told "Access Hollywood" in April. But when a 7-year-old has to have a diet "cheat day," is that really "all good"?