Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2013

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Default Wimbledon 2013

Wimbledon - the grandest of the Grand Slams

There are tournaments, Grand Slams and then there is Wimbledon. The Wimbledon is not only the oldest tennis tournament in the world but is also considered the most prestigious.

Held at the All England Club in the London suburb of Wimbledon since 1877, it is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, and the only one still played on grass courts.

Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam tournament which does not stick strictly to the ATP ranking list in deciding seedings. In allocating the slots the seedings' committee takes into account performances on grass over a two-year period.

On the other hand the seeding order follows the WTA ranking list when it comes to finalise the women's seedings, except where in the opinion of the committee, a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw.

The Nadal-Federer Rivalry

Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are the only men in the open era who have played each other in 8 Grand Slam finals, with Nadal winning 6 of the 8 finals.

Roger Federer and Nadal is the only pair in men's tennis to have finished six straight years as the top two ranked players on the ATP Tour from 2005 to 2010.

The 2008 Wimbledon final has been lauded as the greatest match of all time by many long-time tennis critics and many critics consider their rivalry to be the greatest in tennis history.

The 2008 final saw Nadal win the first Wimbledon title of his career. The playing time made it the longest final in Wimbledon history, at four hours and 48 minutes.

Nadal ended Federer's record of five successive Wimbledon titles and 65 straight wins on grass.

Nadal dethroned Federer as king of Wimbledon with an epic 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 9-7 victory in one of the greatest Grand Slam finals of all time.

New Show Court

The 2011 Wimbledon Championships also heralded the opening of a new Show Court in the form of the new No. 3 Court.

The 2,000-seater arena was built on the site of the old Court 2, 'The Graveyard of Champions'.

The design of the new No. 3 Court is very similar to that of No. 2 Court and has all the new and improved facilities that feature on Centre Court and No. 2 Court including the Hawk-Eye capabilities.

Borg to Federer

Over the last 20 years the courts of the All England Club have been graced by some of the sport's greatest and most exciting players. In 1980 Bjorn Borg of Sweden became the first player to win the Gentlemen's Singles five times in succession since the 1880s.

In 1985, Boris Becker became the youngest player, the first unseeded player and the first German to win the Gentlemen's Singles.

In 1987 Martina Navratilova of the United States became the first player to win the Ladies' Singles six times in succession and in 1990 attained the all-time record of nine victories in the event.

Pete Sampras of the United States registered his seventh win in 2000. In 2001, Goran Ivanisevic became the first wildcard to win the Gentlemen's Singles. In 2007 Roger Federer equalled Borg's record of consecutive victories.

In 2012, Federer defeated Andy Murray of Great Britain 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 to equal Pete Sampras' record of seven Wimbledon titles.

The Post-War Period

The American dominance of Wimbledon continued well into the Fifties. Outstanding among an array of Champions were Jack Kramer, Ted Schroeder, Tony Trabert, Louise Brough, Maureen Connolly and the late Althea Gibson, the first black winner.

From 1956 until the early 1970s, the Gentlemen's Singles was virtually the property of Australia through Lew Hoad, Neale Fraser, Rod Laver, Roy Emerson and John Newcombe. The sequence of American wins in the Ladies' Singles was not broken until 1959 when Maria Bueno of Brazil triumphed. In the 1960s, Margaret Smith became the first Australian to win the event, while Angela Mortimer and Ann Jones revived British interest.

A New Home

Prior to the First World War the facilities at Worple Road were expanded to meet the ever growing demand of the public and a move to larger premises was planned. This was not achieved until 1922 when the present ground in Church Road was opened by King George V. The foresight of building a Centre Court designed to hold 14,000 people did more to popularise the game worldwide than anything that has happened to date.

The new ground, which many thought would turn out to be a white elephant, was financed partly from the accumulated reserves of the Club and partly by the issue of Debentures.

Misgivings about the future popularity of The Championships were soon dispelled and applications for tickets in the first year were so great that they had to be issued by a ballot, a system that has been maintained for every Championship since.

The move to Church Road coincided with a break in tradition, whereby the Challenge Round was abolished in favour of the holder playing through each round.

Overseas Champions

By the turn of the century Wimbledon had assumed an international character, and in 1905 May Sutton of the United States became the first champion from overseas when she won the Ladies' Singles. She repeated her success in 1907, the year Norman Brookes of Australia became the first Gentlemen's Singles champion from overseas.

Since that year, only two men from Great Britain, Arthur Gore and Fred Perry, have won the Singles title while five British Ladies' - Kitty McKane Godfree, Dorothy Round, Angela Mortimer, Ann Jones and Virginia Wade - have been crowned Singles' champion.
    The entry of ladies

In 1884 the Ladies' Singles was inaugurated, and from a field of 13 players Maud Watson became the champion. That same year, the Gentlemen's Doubles was started. The trophy had been donated to the Club by the Oxford University Lawn Tennis Club upon cessation of their doubles championship, played from 1879 to 1883.

As the popularity of Wimbledon increased, the facilities for spectators were suitably improved as permanent stands gradually took the place of temporary accommodation.

In the mid-1880s crowds flocked to see the prowess of British twins Ernest and William Renshaw, who separately and as doubles partners, won 13 titles between 1881 and 1889. The boom in popularity of the game in this period became known as the 'Renshaw Rush'.

The Beginning

The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, which is responsible for staging the world's leading tennis tournament, is a private club founded in 1868 as The All England Croquet Club. Its first ground was situated off Worple Road, Wimbledon.

In 1875, lawn tennis - a game introduced by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield a year or so earlier and originally called 'Sphairistike' - was added to the activities of the club.

In the spring of 1877 the Club was re-titled The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club and signalled its change of name by instituting the first Lawn Tennis Championship.

The only event held in 1877 was the Gentlemen's Singles which was won by Spencer Gore, an old Harrovian rackets player, from a field of 22. About 200 spectators paid one shilling each to watch the final.

Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

Default Mahesh Bhupathi-Julian Knowle advance at Wimbledon

Eighth seeded Indo-Austrian pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Julian Knowle advanced to the men's doubles second round at Wimbledon beating unseeded Argentine-Spanish duo Leonardo Mayer and Albert Ramos on Wednesday.

Bhupathi-Knowle won 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2 in two hours and 37 minutes in the first round clash.

The eighth seeds broke their opponents for the first time in the sixth game of the first set to take a 4-2 advantage, converting their third break point and won the next game to take a step closer to bagging the set. They again broke their opponents in the final game of the set to clinch the set in half an hour.

Mayer-Ramos returned the favour by breaking the Indo-Austrian duo in the first game of the second set and won on their serve to make it 2-0. Bhupathi and Knowle broke back to level the set 5-5 and pushed the match into a tiebreaker. However, the decided did not go in their favour, losing 5-7.

The Indo-Austrian combination needed four break points in the third set to step ahead of Mayer and Ramos to take the set and lead the match 2-1.

The eighth seeds were in their elements easily breaking Mayer and Ramos twice in the fourth set and bagging their service games to love to take the set and match.

In the second round Bhupathi-Knowle will take on American-German duo Nicholas Monroe and Simon Stadler, who ousted another Indian pair Purav Raja and Divij Sharan in the first round

Default I had to beat two Federers, says Stakhovksy

Sergiy Stakhovsky speaks five languages and reads classic Russian literature for fun but on Wednesday he mastered a greater challenge -- puncturing the Roger Federer legend.

The beanpole Ukrainian's stunning 6-7 (5/7), 7-6 (7/5), 7-5, 7-6 (7/5) second round win over the seven-time Wimbledon champion was one of the greatest shocks in the history of the sport.

It was Federer's worst Grand Slam loss since a first round exit at the 2003 French Open and the defending champion's earliest Wimbledon defeat since a second round loss in 2002.

The Wimbledon third seed had made 36 consecutive Grand Slam quarterfinal appearances, having not gone out of a major before the last eight since the 2004 French Open.

For world number 116 Stakhovsky, it was a first win over a top 10 opponent in 21 attempts.

Such was the enormity of the challenge that he even resorted to the dying art of serve and volley.

"When you come here, on the cover of the Wimbledon book is Roger Federer," said Stakhovsky, the 27-year-old son of Kiev academics.

"You're playing the guy and then you're playing his legend, which is following him because he won it seven times.

"You're playing two of them. When you're beating one, you still have the other one who is pressing you. You're saying, Am I about to beat him? Is it possible?"

Stakhovksy, who became an Internet hit last month for whipping out his mobile phone to take a photo of a controversial line call on the clay of the French Open, has four tour titles to his name.

He was also 31 in the world three years ago.

He counts the likes of Pete Sampras and Pat Rafter for the serve-and-volley blueprint he mastered so well on Centre Court on Wednesday.

"Well, you can't really keep up with Roger on grass on baseline rallies. It's just impossible, I would say, especially here," explained Stakhovksy.

"He feels the grass. He feels the slice. He can do whatever he wants with the ball.

"The only tactics I have is press as hard as I can on my serve and come in as much as I can. The shorter it is, the less rhythm he got.

"I think I was successful enough that he didn't get into the returning rhythm, only somewhere in the middle of the fourth set did he find it."

Despite shattering Federer's hopes of a record eighth Wimbledon title, Stakhovsky, who goes on to face Austria's unseeded Jurgen Melzer for a place in the last 16, still praised Federer the man.

"Our sport is Roger Federer. He's the greatest player we had. He's the biggest name we had and we still have, thank God," he said.

"And I think as a person he showed us that you can be a decent man achieving a lot of things and still be a person who everybody admires."

Default Sublime Serena coasts into Wimbledon third round

Defending champion Serena Williams eased past teenager Caroline Garcia to reach the Wimbledon third round on Thursday where she'll face 42-year-old Kimiko Date-Krumm, the oldest woman in the last 32 in the Open era.

Top seed Williams extended her winning streak to 33 matches, just two behind the record set by sister Venus in 2000, with a 6-3, 6-2 win over French 19-year-old Garcia, who she also beat at the French Open.

Williams, 31, chasing a sixth Wimbledon title and 17th major, wrapped up victory in 67 minutes with 30 winners and nine aces.

Date-Krumm reached the third round, 17 years after her last appearance, with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Romania's Alexandra Cadantu, 19 years the Japanese's junior.

Despite their many years on tour, Williams and Date-Krumm have never played each other on the tour.

"Kimiko is so incredibly fit and inspiring. I have never played her but I watched her when I was super-young," said Williams after winning her 599th career match.

"Venus has played her, so I will definitely be talking to her about it."

Default Li Na through to Wimbledon third round

Li Na, the Chinese sixth seed, overcame the in-form Simona Halep in a roller-coaster Wimbledon second round match on Thursday.

Halep, the world number 32, was the toughest possible second round opponent for a seed, with her high ranking and impressive winning run, but Li survived a second-set scare to eventually triumph 6-2, 1-6, 6-0.

Halep went into the match on the back of an 11-match unbeaten streak, winning Nuremburg on clay and s'Hertogenbosch on grass the following week to claim her first tour titles.

And Halep had already beaten Li in the US Open first round in straight sets in 2011 when the Chinese was the reigning French Open champion.

It was their only previous encounter and was the first of two times that Halep had beaten a top-10 player.

But Li's experience finally told on the 2,000-seater Court 3 and the 31-year-old next plays either Czech 32nd seed Klara Zakopalova or Germany's Annika Beck in the third round.

"I felt I played very well in the first set," Li said, before "I lost a little bit of confidence".

"This is women's tennis: it's always crazy on the court."

In theory, the potential path to the title is much more open for Li now that three of the five higher-ranking seeds -- Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova and Sara Errani -- are out.

"I couldn't believe they have so many top seeds that are out of the tournament," Li said.

"I have to try to stay as long as I can, I didn't want to go out next."

Li's Wimbledon best was reaching the 2006 and 2010 quarter-finals, though she tumbled in the second round on her last two All England Club outings.

Li broke in the first game then again for 4-1, coming up with good forehand winners. Halep broke back next game but the Chinese broke for a third time before sealing the set.

If Li was comfortable in the first set, the second was an entirely different affair with Halep, despite needing treatment on a back injury, dominating her opponent.

And the third swung wildly the other way to see the Chinese through.

Li's compatriot Peng Shuai, the 24th seed, faces a second round clash Thursday with Marina Erakovic of New Zealand.

Roger Federer's astonishing defeat to a Ukrainian journeyman in the second round at Wimbledon marked the arrival of a new world order in tennis but for the Swiss master this was definitely not the end of an era.

When the new ATP standings are released on July 8, they will show that the holder of a record 17 Grand Slam titles has slipped to fifth in the world after he failed to defend the 2000 points he amassed by hoisting the Challenge Cup last July.

It will be his lowest ranking since June 2003. While fans and pundits alike were busy speculating if this was the beginning of the end for the greatest man to have ever wielded a tennis racket, Federer pooh-poohed the notion.

"You don't panic at this point, that's clear. Just go back to work and come back stronger really," said Federer after he failed to reach the second week of Wimbledon for the first time since 2002 following his four-set defeat by Sergiy Stakhovsky.

"It's normal that after all of a sudden losing early after being in the quarters 36 times (in a row), people feel it's different," he added.

"(But) I have more options now than I did have one year ago when I was running around trying to chase down every possible tournament and every point to get back to world No. 1.

"Maybe that, and the Olympics last year, took its toll. But overall I think I've been playing actually not so bad."

The problem is that for Federer, who said himself a few years ago that he had 'created a monster' by winning so much, a second-round defeat on a court he has ruled for a decade is not only bad, it is off the Richter scale.

After all, this is the man who has won 67 times at Wimbledon, 122 matches on grass, 257 at the four majors and 905 matches in his career.

FUTURE PLANS

Twelve months ago he was the toast of southwest London after winning a record-equalling seventh title and climbing back to the top of the world rankings.

Nowhere is he loved more than at Wimbledon, where he epitomises everything the club represents - grace, elegance and charm.

So much so that a new book 'Wimbledon - The Official History' has dedicated 75 of its hefty 552 pages to waxing lyrical about the great man's records and achievements.

No doubt when the next edition comes out, Federer's 2013 showing will be glossed over but it will definitely not be the last entry. Of that he is certain.

"I still have plans to play for many more years to come," the 31-year-old said defiantly.

"I'm healthy again, which is a good thing. So I'm looking forward to playing hopefully injury-free for the rest of the season."

By his own lofty standards 2013 has been underwhelming. He has won only one title - a low-key grasscourt event in Halle just before Wimbledon - and his Grand Slam performances have so far added up to a semifinal in Melbourne, a quarterfinal appearance at the French and now a second-round humbling.

Checking out of Wimbledon in the first week does not sit easily with Federer and before he walked out of the All England Club gates on Wednesday he was already plotting his 2014 comeback.

"Looking forward to next year, that I can do better next year. Usually I do turnarounds pretty good. I'm looking forward to what's to come," he said.

Default Wimbledon: Paes-Stepanek advance, Bhupathi-Hantuchova lose

Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek went through several anxious moments before getting the better of Daniele Bracciali and Jonathan Erlich in the first round of the men’s doubles at Wimbledon on Friday, even as the pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Daniela Hantuchova lost in the mixed doubles.

Fourth seeds Paes-Stepanek, who led by a set on Thursday before rain forced the match to be suspended, met with stiff resistance after it resumed on Friday. They dropped the third set but combined well in the fourth to beat the Italian-Israeli pair 7-6(6), 6-4, 6-7(1), 6-4 in a little over three hours.
    They next face of Britain’s Jamie Delgado and Australia’s Matthew Ebden.
    The Indo-Slovakian pair of Bhupathi-Hantuchova lost 7-6(2), 4-6, 4-6 to Mark Knowles of Bahamas and Sabine Lisicki of Germany in the first round.
    Bhupathi's challenge in men's doubles is still alive as he has moved into the second round with Autrian partner Julian Knowle.
    They meet Amercian Nicholas Monroe and Simon Stadler of Germany.

Default PHOTOS: Kvitova, Djokovic reach last 16

Former champion Petra Kvitova regained her focus overnight to return with a zip in her step and see off Russian Ekaterina Makarova 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon on Saturday.
    Resuming a break down at 2-1 in the decider after play was suspended in the gloom late on Friday, the eighth-seeded Czech hit her stride immediately to forge 4-2 ahead under sunny skies.

Kvitova, the 2011 champion and quarter-finalist last year, briefly wobbled as 25th seed Makarova stemmed the tide with a break but the rally fizzled out and the Czech reasserted herself to set up a last 16 match with Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
    Kvitova is one of just four top 10 seeds left in the women's draw, alongside Serena Williams, Agnieszka Radwanska and Li Na. The latter trio are in third round action later on Saturday.

Experienced Russian Mikhail Youzhny appeared on Andy Murray's radar after the 20th seed beat Viktor Troicki in straights sets to reach the last 16.
    Youzhny's clash with the Serb on a sun-drenched Court Two was one of four men's third round matches in the lower half that had been held over from a rain-hit Friday.
    The Russian won 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 but inevitably most of the questions in his news conference revolved around his battle with Murray, who is bidding to become Britain's first male winner here since Fred Perry in 1936.
    "Don't worry, I will sleep normal," Youzhny said, when asked if he was worried about being public enemy No.1 on Monday.

British teenager Laura Robson thrilled a sun-drenched Wimbledon crowd by fighting back from the brink of defeat to subdue New Zealand's Marina Erakovic 1-6, 7-5, 6-3 and reach the fourth round.
    Robson, 19, tipped to be a future top 10 player by world number one Serena Williams, trailed by a set and 5-3 before rallying to reel off eight games in a row and seize control.
    British number one Robson is now guaranteed to break into the world's top 30 after equalling her best grand slam showing after reaching the last 16 at last year's U.S. Open.
    She next faces Estonian Kaia Kanepi or American wildcard Alison Riske with a potential quarter-final looming against five-times champion Serena.
    Sam Smith was the last British woman to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon in 1998.

South Africa's Kevin Anderson would be forgiven for never wanting to set eyes on Tomas Berdych again after the Czech beat him for a ninth successive time at Wimbledon.
    The seventh seed won 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 to set up a last-16 clash against feisty Australian Bernard Tomic.
    Berdych and Anderson had played each other eight times in the last 18 months, and five times this year, with the former Wimbledon finalist winning on every occasion.
    The 27th seed Anderson stands 2.03 metres tall and possesses one of the best serves in the game, but he was cut down to size by the heavy-hitting Czech who overcame losing the first set to scrap his way into the lead.
    Anderson served for the fourth set leading 5-3, but could not close it out and Berdych, who needed some treatment on his back, finished him off three games later, wrapping up victory with a service winner on his second match poin

Like a ruthless emperor dismissing an underling, top seed Novak Djokovic ended a highly satisfactory first week at Wimbledon by brushing aside Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 to continue his serene progress.
    Chardy, the 28th seed, put up little fight in the evening sunshine on Centre Court with the third round match wrapped up in 86 minutes.
    Clinical Djokovic, who eased past the same player in the first round two years ago on his way to a first Wimbledon title, is yet to drop a set in three one-sided contests so far.
    His next opponent, evergreen Tommy Haas, should put up more resistance in the last 16.
    German Haas surprisingly beat the Serb in straight sets at the Sony Open in Miami in March, although Djokovic took revenge in the quarter-finals of the French Open earlier this month.

Fourth seed David Ferrer came through a punishing five-set test against Alexandr Dolgopolov to move into the last 16 in the evening gloom at Wimbledon.
    Ferrer eventually ground down the 26th seeded Ukrainian 6-7(6), 7-6(2), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 in three hours 12 minutes.
    "It was a very hard match," this year's French Open finalist Ferrer said. "I tried to fight a lot and to be focused in the right moments and eventually I won."
    There were only been 12 five-set matches in the first two rounds of the men's singles at Wimbledon, which was the fewest at the grasscourt grand slam in the Open era.
    Ferrer's famed staying power came into its own as he got on top in the fourth set and ended the resistance of Dolgopolov to set up a fourth round match against Croatia's Ivan Dodig.

Eighth seed Juan Martin Del Potro suffered an injury scare after moving into the last 16 at Wimbledon on Saturday with a straight sets win against Slovenia's Grega Zemlja.
    Del Potro fell awkwardly chasing down a drop shot in the third set, receiving treatment and taking a medical timeout before wrapping up a 7-5, 7-6(3), 6-0 win.
    "I will see the doctor after here, because I was going for the dropshot and I twisted my ankle," he told reporters.
    "I hyper-extended my knee, as well. It was really painful. I was a little scared at that moment.
    "I finish the match very quickly. Now I start to feel something in my knee and my ankle, as well. I will check with the doctor very soon."
    Del Potro, who equalled his best performance by reaching the fourth round, will now face Italian Andreas Seppi.

Default Photos: Celebrities spotted at Wimbledon

As Wimbledon gets to the business end, celebrities continue to pour in for the most-awaited Grand Slam of the season.
    Rediff.com presents a glimpse of some of the famous faces that were spotted at The Championships on Day 6.
    Andriy Shevchenko and his wife Kristen Pazik watch the gentlemen's singles third round match between Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Jeremy Chardy of France on Day 6.

Avram Grant attends the ladies' singles third round match between Serena Williams of the United States and Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan on Day 6.

Jamaican Singer Grace Jones attends the ladies' singles third round match between Serena Williams of the United States and Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan on Day 6.

Paralympic rowing gold medallist Lily van den Broecke of Great Britain attends the gentlemen's singles third round match between Richard Gasquet of France and Bernard Tomic of Australia on Day 6.

Paralympic swimming gold medallist Jonathan Fox of Great Britain attends the gentlemen's singles third round match between Richard Gasquet of France and Bernard Tomic of Australia on Day 6.

Olympic rowing gold medallist Helen Glover of Great Britain attends the gentlemen's singles third round match between Richard Gasquet of France and Bernard Tomic of Australia on Day 6.

Sophie Christiansen, triple gold medal winning paralympic equestrian athlete attends the gentlemen's singles third round match between Richard Gasquet of France and Bernard Tomic of Australia on Day 6.

Sir Chris Hoy and Sarra Hoy attend the gentlemen's singles third round match between Richard Gasquet of France and Bernard Tomic of Australia on Day 6.

Default After shock waves Wimbledon dream title up for grabs

Eight women from eight different countries will walk through the gates of the All England Club on Tuesday harbouring genuine title hopes following a Wimbledon wipeout of the headline attractions.

Czech eighth seed Petra Kvitova, Wimbledon champion in 2011, and China's Li Na, French Open winner in the same year, are the only two who know how it feels to win a Grand Slam.
    '

After defeat for Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka's injury-enforced withdrawal, Serena Williams was expected to stroll to a sixth Wimbledon title but her fourth-round defeat by German Sabine Lisicki on Monday left the draw wide open.

Kvitova takes on 20th seed Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium, a quarter-final debutant at this level, while Li faces fourth- seeded Pole Agnieszka Radwanska who was runner-up at Wimbledon last year.

"I think it doesn't mean anything," Radwanska told reporters, referring to her role as the highest seed left in the tournament. "Especially here with so many weird scores."

Lisicki's reward for downing Williams is a meeting with Estonia's unseeded Kaia Kanepi, the lowest-ranked survivor.

Default Stunned Serena Williams leaves Wimbledon

Sabine Lisicki caused the biggest upset in the women's singles at Wimbledon when she beat Serena Williams in the fourth round on Monday.

The German won 6-2, 1-6, 6-4.
    Serena, a five-time winner at the All England Club, was attempting to win a 17th major title, having won the French Open last month.
    The American had been on a 34-match winning streak and had lost just twice all year.
    While Lisicki won the first set in 44 minutes, it took Serena just 27 minutes to take the second.
    The third set lasted for 53 minutes with both the players trading early breaks before the German got an all-important break in the ninth game before closing out the match in the next.
    "It's an amazing feeling," said a visibly emotional Lisicki. "Serena is such a tough competitor. She played some unbelievable shots but I just hung on," she added.
    The German goes on to face Estonia's Kaia Kanepi in the next round.
    Earlier, Li Na narrowly missed out on handing Italian Roberta Vinci the dreaded double bagel as the Chinese sixth seed romped into the quarter-finals with a 6-2, 6-0 victory.
    The 2011 French Open champion served for the first set at 5-0 up but was broken by the doubles specialist, who raised loud cheers on Court Three as she finally registered a game against her name on the scoreboard.
    The 30-year-old Vinci, seeded 11th, held her next service game but from then on Li was an unstoppable force as she won the next seven games to reach the last eight at Wimbledon for the third time.
    Also entering the last eight stage was Petra Kvitova, who scored a 7-6 6-3 win over doughty Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro