Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Open - 2014

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Default Australian Open - 2014

India's campaign in singles at the Australian Open ended after Somdev Devvarman went down to 26th seed Feliciano Lopez of Spain in straight sets in the first round, in Melbourne, on Tuesday. The unseeded Indian put up a good fight before losing 4-6, 4-6, 6-7(2) to the world No. 27 in two hours and 13 minutes.

Lopez will now take on unseeded German Michael Berrer, who knocked out Michael Llodra of France 6-4, 7-5, 6-1.
    Somdev, ranked No 97, won 89 points against Lopez’s 110.

The 28-year-old Indian, who lost in the second round in 2013, had two break-points in the first set, but was unable to convert even one.
    Lopez capitalised on the lone break-point he got to take the set.
    In the second set, Somdev saved two of the three break-points he faced, but could not prevent Lopez from winning the other and taking the set.
    He, however, came out all guns blazing in the third set and gave his higher-ranked opponent a tough fight.
    Both players converted two break-points each to push the set to the tie-breaker. But, in the end, Lopez raised his game to come out triumphant.
    Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

Default PHOTOS: Sharapova turns on the style to dump Mattek-Sands

Maria Sharapova celebrated her return to the Grand Slam spotlight with an emphatic 6-3, 6-4 win over Bethanie Mattek-Sands in what was a clash of styles in more way than one at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

The third seed, wearing a sleek pale blue dress, was made to work hard for her passage into the second round and lost her service twice as her American opponent mixed things up with her all-court game.

Mattek-Sands, famous for her distinctive outfits, retained her trademark knee socks despite the heat and sported a riot of stripes and colour topped off with a purple pony-tail, a look Sharapova described as "very creative".

When it came to the tennis, though, it initially looked like the 2008 Australian Open champion would have things all her own way.

Sidelined from the US Open and the latter part of last season with an injury to her right shoulder, Sharapova released some pent-up frustration by roaring into a 4-0 lead to leave 41st-ranked Mattek-Sands reeling under the lights of Rod Laver Arena.

"I knew that it was going to be a tough match," said the Russian, who next plays 44th-ranked Italian Karin Knapp. "No matter what I had to do, I wanted to get through it, and I think that's what it was about today."

Indian Railways is one of the biggest and busiest rail networks in the world, operating 9,000 passenger trains and transporting up to 20 million passengers every day.
    India will soon invite foreign businesses to help expand its once-mighty but now outdated railways, government sources said, in a move that would mark the opening up of one of the country's last great state-controlled industries.

Default Azarenka, Wozniacki feel the heat as Melbourne scorches

Victoria Azarenka made a stuttering start to her bid for a third straight Australian Open title on Tuesday when she was kept out in the Melbourne heat for 106 minutes by Johanna Larsson before sealing her place in the second round.
    Organisers tried to mitigate temperatures in excess of 40 degrees Celsius by providing towels packed with ice, hundreds of bottles of water and an extra 10-minute break between the second and third sets for the women's matches.

Azarenka had no need of the extra 10-minute break after wrapping up her match 7-6(2), 6-2 despite having her service broken three times in the opening stanza of an absorbing contest and twice facing the Swede serving for the first set.
    "First matches can be tricky and the weather is not really helping," the Belarusian said on court after her win set up a meeting with Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova.
    "But was really glad to win that first set, it was really important and then I played better in the second."
    Romanian 11th seed Simona Halep, who last year won six titles and was named most improved player on the women's tour, took 54 minutes to beat Katarzyna Piter 6-0, 6-1 in the first match on Margaret Court Arena.

Former world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki lost her serve early in the second set but swept into the second round with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Spain's Lourdes Dominguez Lino.
    "Was this before the heat? Jeez it was hot out there, felt like I was playing in a sauna or something," the Danish 10th seed said after her 67-minute contest.
    "I was just trying to take the ice-towel as much as I could."

Three of the ‘Big Four’ of men's tennis also get their campaigns underway on Tuesday with Roger Federer and Andy Murray braving the daytime heat, while World No 1 Rafael Nadal faces Bernard Tomic in the relative cool of the evening.

Men's number 21 seed Philipp Kohlschreiber withdrew from the tournament with a recurrence of a left hamstring problem before his match against Aljaz Bedene, who was instead defeated 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-0 by French lucky loser Stephane Robert.

It was not just the players who were struggling as a ballboy on court eight required medical treatment after fainting during Milos Raonic's 7-6(2), 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 victory over Daniel Gimeno-Traver.
    The tournament is already over for America's No 1 John Isner, who had been struggling with an ankle problem and retired while trailing Martin Klizan 6-2, 7-6(6) in his first round contest.
    While the men's 13th seed gamely played on for 82 minutes, Slovenia's Polona Hercog retired with a shoulder injury after just six points of her first round contest against France's Alize Cornet on court six.

Australian Open: Andy Murray gets a winning start against Go Soeda

Wimbledon champion Andy Murray meant business at the Hisense Arena on Tuesday at the first round match of the Australian Open.

The Scot defeated the unseeded Japanese Go Soeda in straight sets 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 in 87 minutes.

Murray has never lost a match to a Japanese player and maintaining that winning streak he totally dominated the proceedings with his outstanding service games. While he broke the Japanese serve seven times, he did not face a single break point in his own service.
    At the post match interview, he was quite happy over the win. “It is my first grand slam since my back surgery so I am taking nothing for granted. It is a good start for me,” he said.

Andy also talked about the heat in Melbourne, saying, “Though I was at Miami for five weeks training under 30 degrees to be prepared for Melbourne, but nothing actually can make you prepared for this sort of heat.”

He was also quite confident of a win in Melbourne. “I am more confident here as I have been in three finals. I am desperate to try and win."

Murray now faces winner of the first round match between French Vincent Millot and American Wayne Odesnik.

Default Australian Open: Stars burned out at Melbourne Park

Sweat drips off the head of David Ferrer of Spain as he takes a break between games during his second round match against Adrian Mannarino of France at 2014 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on Wednesday.

Maria Sharapova of Russia cools off during a break in her first round match against Bethanie Mattek-Sands of the United States.

Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan is attended to by medical staff during her first round match against Sloane Stephens of the United States.
    Shvedova eventually lost 7-6 (1), 6-3.

Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic wipes her face during her second round match against Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia on Wednesday.

Ernests Gulbis of Latvia covers his face with a towel during his second round match against Sam Querrey of the United States on Wednesday.

Novak Djokovic of Serbia changes his shirt during his second round match against Leonardo Mayer of Argentina.

Vesna Dolonc of Serbia cools off with ice packs during her match against Serena Williams on Wednesday.

Leonardo Mayer of Argentina wears an ice pack around his neck during his second round match against Novak Djokovic of Serbia.

Rafael Nadal of Spain grimaces as he feels the heat during a practice session on Wednesday.

Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic has a drink and wears an ice towel during a break in his second round match against Kenny De Schepper of France.

Default Yuki-Venus shock 10th seeds; easy for Paes-Stepanek

The wild card team of India’s Yuki Bhambri and Michael Venus of New Zealand created a big upset at the Australian Open, shocking tenth seeds Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau, in Melbourne, on Friday.

They needed just 64 minutes to get the better of the experienced Dutch-Romanian pair 6-4, 6-4 in a second round match.
    Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek also ended up on the winning side, beating the Czech pair of Lukas Dlouhy and Lukas Rosol 6-4, 6-1 in their first round match, which was put off to Friday because of Thursday’s intense heat in Melbourne.
    Yuki-Venus, playing their first Major, did not face a single break-point in the contest. A break in each set sufficed to emerge triumphant.
    The 21-year-old Yuki-Venus needed 71 minutes to get the better of Spaniards Roberto Bautista Agut and Daniel Gimeno-Traver 6-2, 7-5 in their opening match.
    There is the possibility of Yuki meeting Paes in the pre-quarter-finals.
    The fifth seeded Paes-Stepanek won in 76 minutes after saving seven break-points.
    They will meet Daniele Bracciali from Italy and Alexandr Dolgopolov from the Ukraine.
    Image: Yuki Bhambri hugs Michael Venus after victory is clinched

Default Ominous Djokovic pummels Istomin

Novak Djokovic's bid for a fourth successive title at Melbourne Park shifted up a gear with an impressive 6-3, 6-3, 7-5 win over Uzbek Denis Istomin on Friday, booking the Serb a place in the Australian Open fourth round.

The second seed was a model of controlled aggression under the lights of Rod Laver Arena, punishing Istomin's lack of court speed before picking him off with 31 crisp winners.
    With new coach Boris Becker watching from the player's box, Djokovic was ruffled when broken for the first time serving for the match at 5-4 and threw a few icy stares at a rowdy pocket of fans.
    But he roared in triumph after breaking back immediately and closed it out on the second match point when Istomin pushed a shot wide. Djokovic will play Italian 15th seed Fabio Fognini for a place in the quarter-finals.

Serena Williams powered past Daniela Hantuchova 6-3, 6-3 to advance to the fourth round.
    The World No 1 had lost their only other encounter at Melbourne Park in the third round in 2006 when the Slovakian beat her in straight sets, but she made no mistake this time around.
    The American, seeking her sixth Australian Open title, will now meet 14th-seeded Serbian Ana Ivanovic, who beat Australian 17th seed Samantha Stosur 6-7(8), 6-4, 6-2.

Third seed David Ferrer smashed a racket after losing his serve in the second set but recovered his composure to reach the fourth round with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 victory over Jeremy Chardy.
    Playing in temperatures of 42 degrees Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) on Rod Laver Arena, Ferrer's trademark brand of attritional tennis simply wore down the Frenchman, who made 51 unforced errors, in two hours and 12 minutes.
    The 31-year-old Spaniard, twice a semi-finalist at Melbourne Park, took his frustrations on his racket in the second set but saved two set points to win it in the tiebreak.
    He reached the fourth round for the fourth year in a row when he broke Chardy's serve for the fifth time and next meets German Florian Mayer, who earlier upset Pole Jerzy Janowicz 7-5, 6-2, 6-2 to become the first man to reach the fourth round.

Fourth seed Li Na saved a match point before rallying past a combative Lucie Safarova to record a 1-6, 7-6, 6-3 third round victory and avoid becoming the highest-ranked casualty in the first week of the Open.
    Li initially appeared out of sorts as the 26-year-old Czech attacked her forehand and serve, resulting in a slew of errors from the Chinese No 1, who remained committed to her aggressive style even when she was playing badly.
    Safarova, who has never beaten a top-10 opponent in a WTA Tour event, served for the contest in the ninth game of the second set and held a match point in the 12th before Li held, then produced a remarkable tiebreak that she clinched 7-2 to send it into a decider.
    The 2011 French Open champion and Safarova continued to punch and counter punch in an entertaining third set before Li broke in the eighth game and then held serve to set up a fourth round clash with Russia's Ekaterina Makarova.

Seventh seed Tomas Berdych silenced a boisterous crowd on Hisense Arena as he comfortably advanced to the fourth round with a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Bosnia's Damir Dzumhur.
    The 21-year-old Dzumhur has enjoyed vocal support from Melbourne's large expatriate Balkan population in his progress throughout the tournament from qualifying.

Dzumuhur beat Croatia's Ivan Dodig in the second round in a noisy encounter on Wednesday and had been seeking to be the first qualifier to reach the fourth round at the Australian Open since Canada's Milos Raonic in 2011.
    Berdych, however, was simply too strong for the youngster and gave him nothing to capitalise on, ruthlessly snuffing out his two break point opportunities to advance to a fourth round against either South Africa's Kevin Anderson or Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France

Default Federer waltzes into fourth round

Roger Federer strolled nonchalantly into the fourth round of the Australian Open with a seemingly effortless 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Russia's Teymuraz Gabashvili on Rod Laver Arena on Saturday.
    The 32-year-old Swiss, a four-time champion at Melbourne Park, had played his second round match against Blaz Kavcic on the second showcourt Hisense Arena on Thursday, the first time in 10 years he had played on the court.
    Federer was at his clinical best on his return to Rod Laver, remaining unruffled even on the Russian's five break opportunities as he calmly swatted away the challenge in one hour, 41 minutes.
    Federer will next meet either 10th-seeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried or his compatriot Gilles Simon, who play later on Saturday.

Maria Sharapova continued her erratic Australian Open campaign with a scratchy 6-1, 7-6, (8-6) win over Alize Cornet that put her into the last 16 on Saturday but also sent her straight to the practice court in search of some sorely needed form.
    Still rebuilding from a long layoff due to her troublesome right shoulder, Sharapova ran hot then cold against the 25th seeded Frenchwoman, her serve going awry in the hard-fought second set and only a late rally in the tiebreak saving the Russian from another potential marathon.
    In her previous round, Sharapova had battled through the longest match of her career, a three-hour, 28-minute slug-fest against unseeded Italian Karin Knapp, played out on a 42 degrees Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) day.
    Fatigue might have been a tempting excuse, but the Russian could hardly have used it, having felt fit enough to head back out on the court after a quick rest to iron out some worrying creases in her game.
    "I just didn't have a great rhythm," Sharapova, seeded third, told reporters after bludgeoning 35 unforced errors and landing only half of her first serves.
    "It's sometimes nice just to be able to come off the court and groove, just to get a good hit on the ball.

"I still feel like in certain situations I am a bit rusty and I'm not closing it out when I have to or maybe going for a little much or overthinking it a bit.
    "That will come. I'm not worried about that. Those are the -- as long as I feel like I'm doing the right things and I'm playing the way I want to play, if I'm making those types of errors, they are going to go in eventually."
    Sharapova's win over Cornet was her seventh match since pulling the plug on her 2013 season in August, but the 26-year-old has made hard work of her opening three matches at MelbournePark, where she won the 2008 title.
    The loss of her once-potent serve since major surgery on her shoulder six years ago has long been her Achilles heel, and if her serve against Cornet was any indication, the old injury may still be weighing heavily.
    Broken three times in the second set, the average pace of her first serves was 153 kph (95 mph) for the match, well down from her opening two rounds. Her second serve was also markedly slower.

Her decade-long tormentor Serena Williams, by contrast, has only been broken once and has been serving at an average just under 170 kph for the tournament.

Sharapova next plays Slovak 20th seed Dominika Cibulkova and has been spared a tougher run by a generous draw that offers eighth seed Jelena Jankovic as the highest seeded player before the semi-finals, where double defending champion Victoria Azarenka looms as the most likely opponent.
    The Russian held out little hope of being completely free of the shoulder problems that have limited her to only one Grand Slam title win to the three prior to her major surgery.
    "As I said, I think recovery for the rest of my career is going to be extremely important, making sure I do the right amount of work to the right amount of rest that I give it," she said. "But it's feeling good."

Grigor Dimitrov upset 11th seed Milos Raonic 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(10) in a 156-minute Australian Open thriller on Saturday to reach the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the first time.
    Famous more for being the boyfriend of Maria Sharapova, the 22nd ranked 22-year-old Bulgarian has long been identified as a rising talent in men's tennis but previously flattered to deceive on the game's biggest stages.
    In the Margaret Court Arena bearpit on Saturday, though, he held his nerve through the tightest of fourth set tie-breaks to seal the victory on his fifth match point when Canadian Raonic netted a forehand.
    The man once nicknamed "Baby Fed" for the similarity in his playing style to Roger Federer will next face world number 62 Roberto Bautista for a place in the quarter-finals after the Spaniard beat Benoit Paire 6-2, 6-1, 6-4.

Former World No 1 Caroline Wozniacki made an early exit from the Australian Open on Saturday with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 loss to rising Spanish talent Garbine Muguruza in the third round.
    Dane Wozniacki, seeded 10th, appeared to be on course for a sixth appearance in the fourth round in seven visits to Melbourne Park when she wrapped up the first set in 39 minutes.
    Venezuela-born Muguruza, however, arrived in Melbourne in good form after winning the warm-up tournament in Hobart as a qualifier and rallied to clinch the second set in just under an hour on Rod Laver Arena.
    With both serves under pressure in the decider, the 20-year-old Spaniard converted all four of her break points to reach the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time.
    Muguruza next meets fifth seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland.

An agitated Andy Murray was at his muttering, tormented best before reaching a higher plain to trounce Spaniard Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (7-2), 6-4, 6-2 and advance to the Australian Open fourth round on Saturday.
    The scorching heat that plagued MelbournePark all week had given way to a pleasantly cool summer's day but the moody Briton fumed and berated himself throughout the opening two sets at Hisense Arena as he struggled with his backhand.
    However, on surrendering the second set, 26th seed Lopez's resolve crumbled, allowing the 26-year-old Scot to coast to an encouraging victory in 135 minutes.
    Fourth seed Murray, a three-times finalist at Melbourne Park, will next play French lucky loser Stephane Robert for a place in the quarter finals.

Default Australian Open: Bhupathi ousted on a day of mixed fortunes for India

India saw a day of mixed fortunes at the Australian Open on Saturday as both, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna won their respective doubles and mixed doubles matches to enter the third round of the opening Grand Slam of the year in Melbourne.

However, there was a tinge of gloom as Mahesh Bhupathi's men's doubles campaign came to an end after a tight defeat.
    Sania first took the court for the women's doubles event, and, along with Zimbabwean partner Cara Black cruised to a 7-5, 6-1 win in the second round against Monica Niculescu from Romania and Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic.
    Later, playing with first-time Romanian partner Horia Tecau, Sania won her mixed doubles first round tie against Hao-Ching Chan of Chinese Taipei and Robert Lindstedt from Sweden.
    The sixth seeded Indo-Romanian pair erased a one-set deficit to eventually triumph 4-6, 7-6(3), 10-8.
    Veteran Indian star Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek recorded a comfortable 6-1, 6-4 win over Italian Daniele Bracciali and Alexandr Dolgopolov from Ukraine to move to the pre-quarterfinals of the men's doubles event.
    Now the fifth-seeded pair will clash with India's Yuki Bhambri and his New Zealand partner Michael Venus, who had shocked 10th seeds Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau.
    Rohan Bopanna also won in both his men's doubles and mixed doubles matches.
    Partnering Pakistani Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi, the Indian rallied to beat the British pair of Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in men's doubles second round.
    Bopanna then joined Slovakian partner Katarina Srebotnik to crush Raquel Kops-Jones and Treat Huey 6-2, 6-3 in the mixed doubles first round.
    "Happy to be through to the third round here in Melbourne. Was a tough match today but glad to have pulled it through," Bopanna tweeted after his win.
    However, Mahesh Bhupathi and his American partner Rajeev Ram were ousted after a tight 4-6, 6-7(7) defeat against second seeded combination of Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares.
    In the girls' singles event, India's Snehadevi Reddy lost 4-6, 0-6 to Chinese rival Ying Zhang.
    Simran Kaur Sethi also crashed out with a 4-6, 2-6 defeat against American 14th seed Katrine Steffensen.
    In the boys event, Sumit Nagal lost 3-6, 3-6 to local favourite Harry Bourchier.

>

World No 1 and top seed Serena Williams was knocked out of the Australian Open by Serbian Ana Ivanovic on Sunday.
    Ivanovic made her way to the quarter-final after a resounding fight back in the second set to win the fourth round match 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 at the Rod Laver Arena at Melbourne Park.
    World No 14 Ivanovic, a former world number one, ended the American's 25-match winning streak to reach her first Grand Slam quarter-final since the 2012 U.S. Open.

Four-time champion Novak Djokovic reached his seventh successive Australian Open quarter-final with a routine 6-3, 6-0, 6-2 victory over 15th-seed Fabio Fognini on Sunday.
    The World No 2 needed just 92 minutes to dismantle the Italian, who was having trouble with his serve, struggled to string successive points together and appeared to not be playing to his full ability in the third set.
    Djokovic's dominance on return earned him an impressive 22 break opportunities but the Serb was even more accomplished on his own serve, losing just 10 points throughout the entire match as he won a fourth straight contest without dropping a set.
    Djokovic's only concern appeared to be with his footing as he slipped over early in the first set, though it did not affect his path to a last-eight encounter against either eighth-seeded Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka or Spain's 17th-seed Tommy Robredo.

Li Na stormed into the quarter-finals of the Australian Open with a 6-2, 6-0 hammering of Russian Ekaterina Makarova in just under an hour on Sunday.
    The Chinese fourth seed looked much more assured on Hisense Arena on Sunday and her win set up a last eight meeting with Italy's Flavia Pennetta.
    The 31-year-old briskly saved two break points in the first set, another couple at 3-0 up in the second and sealed the win with a backhand volley at the net to serve out to love.
    The former French Open champion has a good record at MelbournePark, having reached the final here last year and in 2011 and the semi-finals in 2010.

>

Italy's Flavia Pennetta advanced to her first Australian Open quarter-final with a 6-1, 4-6, 7-5 victory over ninth-seeded German Angelique Kerber on Sunday.
    The 31-year-old Italian could do nothing wrong in the first set, moving Kerber around the court and belting winners from both sides to take it 6-1 in 24 minutes.
    Kerber, who lost in the Sydney International final to qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova, took a short break between sets and somehow managed to stay in the match and break the 29th-seed three times to send it to a decider.
    Pennetta was broken twice in the third set but rediscovered her rhythm and accuracy to break Kerber three times to advance to her first singles quarter-final at Melbourne Park against either Chinese fourth seed Li Na or Russia's Ekaterina Makarova.

Tomas Berdych trounced Kevin Anderson 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 in a battle of big servers at the Australian Open on Sunday to set up a quarter-final with Spanish hustler David Ferrer.

Berdych, wearing his trademark blue-and-white striped shirt, outgunned Anderson at a rowdy Margaret Court Arena with an impressive array of winners to extend his record to 10-0 over the South African beanpole.
    Roared on by a noisy pocket of Czech supporters, the seventh seed sealed his fourth consecutive quarter-final at MelbournePark in just under two hours but will face a far stiffer test against the tireless Ferrer, who delights in dragging opponents into attritional streetfights.
    "Probably if I can compare right away all these four years, I think this year is going the best so far," the 28-year-old Czech, a Wimbledon finalist in 2010, said in his courtside interview after blasting 38 winners and breaking Anderson five times.
    "There is still a lot of petrol left which I'm definitely going to need in the next match so I'm really happy for that.

Ferrer also reached the quarter-finals on Sunday for a fourth successive year by overhauling unseeded German Florian Mayer 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-2, 6-1.
    The draw has smiled favourably upon the super-fit 31-year-old, who tends to belt a succession of lower-ranked opponents before being sent crashing out when he faces any one of the 'Big Four'.
    Annihilated in last year's semi-finals by triple defending champion Novak Djokovic, Ferrer actually beat Nadal in the 2011 quarter-finals but the 13-times grand slam champion was hampered by injury.
    After being dragged into a tiebreak with unseeded Mayer, the Spaniard's superior fitness gradually told and he finished the match full of running, blazing winners from all angles.
    "In the third and the fourth (sets), I moved better, I did less mistakes, and I played with power with my shots," Ferrer told reporters after making his ninth consecutive quarter-final in the Grand Slams.
    Ferrer boasts a 7-4 winning record over the Czech but was well beaten at the season-ending World Tour championships.
    "Of course, Tomas is a top-10 player. Always when I play with him, it's very close," he said.

Default Sharapova falls to Cibulkova; Azarenka into quarters

Third seed Maria Sharapova was dumped out of the Australian Open on Monday with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 fourth round loss to Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova on Rod Laver Arena.
    The 2008 champion had to take a medical time-out between the second and third sets for treatment on an undisclosed injury. She was grimacing when bending over and grabbing her lower back during the final set.
    Sharapova's demise comes a day after Serbia's Ana Ivanovic beat world number one and title favourite Serena Williams, also in the fourth round.

"I watched that match, it was a great match for Ana, but this was a little bit of a different story," Cibulkova said in a courtside interview.
    "The most important thing was that I went on the court and I was 100 per cent sure I could win this match. I wasn't doubting myself."
    Sharapova took the first set 6-3 as both players struggled with their serve, but Cibulkova won the second after racing to a 5-0 lead, which the Russian pegged back, before the diminutive Slovak finally held serve to send the match to a decider.

Sharapova then took the medical time-out but was unable to halt Cibulkova's momentum as the Slovak raced through to win the set and reach her first Australian Open quarter-final.
    She will meet either eighth-seed Jelena Jankovic or 11th-seeded Romanian Simona Halep for a place in the last four.
    "I just kept going. I knew what I had to do and I was doing exactly the right things," Cibulkova added.
    "The most important thing is to believe in yourself."

Victoria Azarenka stayed on track for a third consecutive Australian Open title with a composed 6-3, 6-2 victory over 13th-seed Sloane Stephens in the fourth round on Monday.
    With third seed Maria Sharapova and World No 1 Serena Williams both losing in the fourth round, Azarenka has firmed as favourite to retain her crown and become the first woman to win three successive Melbourne Park titles since Martina Hingis (1997-99).

Azarenka and Stephens had played a controversial match in the semi-finals last year and their clash on Monday had the potential for more when Stephens blasted a shot back at Azarenka that hit her in the upper thigh in the first set.
    The Belarusian appeared to ignore Stephens' apology and repaid the American with a similar shot shortly afterwards.
    Azarenka then controlled the match from the baseline and waited for the 20-year-old to make errors, wrapping up the win in 91 minutes.

A ruffled Rafael Nadal fumed at the chair umpire after being called for multiple time violations on serve but composed himself to fend off a gallant Kei Nishikori and reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Monday.
    Top seed Nadal had come hurtling into the match with a brutal demolition of Gael Monfils, but encountered a far different beast in 16th seeded Japanese, who broke his serve for the first time in the tournament and rattled the Spaniard in a 7-6 (7-3), 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) loss at Rod Laver Arena.
    Battling fatigue, the impressive Nishikori rallied from 4-1 down to serve for the third set but Nadal broke back to force the high-quality clash into a second tense tiebreak.
    The weary Nishikori belted a shot long to give Nadal three match points and the Spaniard sealed it on the first to set up a quarter-final with 22nd seed Grigor Dimitrov.

Andy Murray smashed a racket in a rare display of frustration after being taken to a fourth set before reaching the quarter-finals of the Australian Open with a 6-1, 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-2 victory over lucky loser Stephane Robert on Monday.

After racing through the first two sets in just over an hour, Wimbledon champion Murray blew a couple of match points in the third and was dragged into a tiebreak by the 33-year-old Frenchman, who won it 8-6.
    It was the first set fourth seed Murray had lost in the tournament but, after a change of shirt, he whipped through the fourth set in 28 minutes to seal a quarter-final date against either Roger Federer or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
    Robert was the first lucky loser to reach the fourth round at MelbournePark and had won just four main draw matches in 10 previous grand slam appearances.

The world's top-ranked doubles pair, Bob and Mike Bryan, suffered their earliest Australian Open exit in more than a decade on Monday when they lost 7-6(9), 6-4 to American Eric Butorac and South Africa's Raven Klaasen in the third round.
    The American twins, who have won the title six times, led 4-0 in the first-set tiebreak before being overhauled and were then broken once in the second set.
    "It's frustrating, we like coming down here and starting the year hot," Mike Bryan told reporters.
    "I don't think we played terribly, just the margins are really small. We're a front-running team and (if we won the tiebreak) we probably win that in straight sets but all credit goes to those guys, they served tough."
    The last time the twins exited Melbourne so early was in 2003, again in the third round.
    "I think it's the first time we've lost in straight sets since June 2012," said Bob Bryan

Default Bouchard stuns Ivanovic, meets Li Na in semis

Canadian teenager Eugenie Bouchard kept her poise in the biggest match of her life to oust Ana Ivanovic in a three-set thriller and set up an Australian Open semi-final against China's Li Na on Tuesday.
    "It's not exactly a surprise," said the confident 19-year-old, the first Canadian to reach the last four in Melbourne.
    "I always expect myself to do well. I'm just happy to have gone through this step. I'm not done. I have a match on Thursday. I'm just looking forward to that."

Cheered on by "Genie's Army" - the band of young Australians who reward her with a cuddly toy after every victory - Bouchard was a match for everything the 14th seed threw at her and sealed victory after two hours and 24 minutes.

Ivanovic, hindered by a hip niggle, was unable to take advantage of the path she had cleared to the final, stunning world number one Serena Williams on Sunday to blow open the top half of the draw.
    "I was emotionally a little bit flat," admitted Ivanovic. "I was lacking a little bit aggressiveness that I had in my previous matches.
    "I think she has very bright future in front of her. She's very aggressive player. It's sometimes very hard to read her game. There is no really patterns like with other players you have. She's a great mover."

China's Li Na wasted little time in advancing to her fourth Australian Open semi-final with a seemingly effortless 6-2, 6-2 demolition of Flavia Pennetta.

The 31-year-old, who has reached two of the last three finals at MelbournePark, blasted the 28th-seeded Italian off the court in 66 minutes with a strong first serve and barrage of powerful ground strokes.
    The fourth seed has raced through the last two rounds at the season-opening grand slam after almost being knocked out by Lucie Safarova in the third round when she had to fight off a match point.
    She felt that victory had given her confidence she could win her first title at Melbourne Park

Default Federer quells late fightback from Murray to set up Nadal semi-final

World No 7 Roger Federer weathered a late challenge from Andy Murray to win their Australian Open quarter-final 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3 on Wednesday.
    Federer will now face his great rival Rafa Nadal in a mouthwatering semi-final.
    Stingy on serve and dominant at the net, the 17-times Grand Slam champion wobbled when serving out for the match at 5-4 in the third set and was dragged into a tiebreak in an atmosphere of unrelenting tension at Rod Laver Arena.

Battling fatigue, Murray saved two match-points to keep his bid for a third Grand Slam title alive but met ever stiffer resistance from the imperious Swiss who attacked his serve with abandon in the final set.
    Having saved a raft of break points, the 26-year-old crumbled at 4-3 to concede the decisive break and Federer made no mistake on his third match point, sealing the thriller with an ace after three hours and 20 minutes.
    "Andy played well and put the pressure on me so I'm happy to get the win," a relieved Federer said in a courtside interview after notching his 11th successive semi-final appearance at MelbournePark.

Battling fatigue, Murray saved two match-points to keep his bid for a third Grand Slam title alive but met ever stiffer resistance from the imperious Swiss who attacked his serve with abandon in the final set.
    Having saved a raft of break points, the 26-year-old crumbled at 4-3 to concede the decisive break and Federer made no mistake on his third match point, sealing the thriller with an ace after three hours and 20 minutes.
    "Andy played well and put the pressure on me so I'm happy to get the win," a relieved Federer said in a courtside interview after notching his 11th successive semi-final appearance at MelbournePark.

"I probably miss more break points than other guys but I keep my composure and keep the poker face and tonight it worked."
    Having mowed down Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets in his previous match, the red-hot Swiss appeared set to do the same to Murray, who showed signs of his lack of match practice on the comeback from back surgery.
    Federer prised two break points in just the fourth game by rushing the net and volleying into the corner, and Murray, struggling to find his range, duly lost serve by clubbing a forehand long.

Murray sent two of his rackets to be re-strung and though the Scot buoyed himself with a couple of sizzling passing shots, Federer calmly served out the final game of the set to love, sealing it with a huge first serve.
    Serving in the opening game of the second, Murray fired himself up by winning a thrilling 23-shot rally, but was down a break again at 2-2 after blasting a forehand crosscourt just wide as Federer ratcheted up the pressure.
    Unable to get a look at Federer's serve, and outplayed on the baseline, Murray slumped to a two-set deficit after losing a series of attritional rallies.

Pushed to the wall, the Scot saved four break points in his first two service games of the third set, and winced with pain after reaching for a low ball, laying a hand on his lower back.
    The pressure finally told as Murray netted a forehand to be broken at 4-4, but Federer, inexplicably, wavered when serving for the match.

Having not given up a single break point, Federer conceded two with a pair of unforced errors, and Murray sealed the second after running the Swiss ragged.

Dragged into a tiebreak, Federer showcased a brilliant defence to leap to a 5-2 lead and held two match-points when Murray floated a backhand long.
    The pressure reaching breaking point, Murray saved both, surviving the first with an epic 24-shot rally, before clobbering a forehand down the line to raise set point.
    Suddenly tentative, Federer fluffed a halfhearted forehand to concede the set, leaving Murray to punch his fists and roar.
    Under siege for 19 minutes in his next service game, Murray saved six break points and then another at 3-2 down.

Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and her Romanian partner Horia Tecau stormed into the semifinals of the mixed doubles event at the Australian Open with straight sets victory over Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and Julia Georges, in Melbourne on Thursday.
    Sixth seed Sania and Tecau hardly broke a sweat to prevail over the unseeded Aisam-Julia combination 6-3, 6-4 in their quarterfinal clash that lasted just 63 minutes.

The Indo-Romanian duo will play Australian pair of Jarmila Gajdosova and Matthew Ebden in the semifinals.
    The unseeded Australian pair stunned second seeds Katarina Srebotnik of Sloivakia and India's Rohan Bopanna 7-5, 6-3 in another quarterfinal on Wednesday.
    Sania and Tecau got three opportunities to break their opponents in the opening set, out of which they converted one, which was enough for the Indo-Romanian pair to pocket the set in 28 minutes.
    In the next set, Sania and Tecau broke their opponents in the ninth game to serve out the set in 35 minutes and book a place in the last four stage.
    On Tuesday, Sania Mirza and her Zimbabwean partner Cara Black were halted in their stride by the world No 1 Italian pair of Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the women's doubles quarter-finals at the Australian Open in Mlebourne on Tuesday.
    The sixth seeds lost 2-6, 6-3, 4-6.

In veteran Leander Paes, another Indian is in fray in the mixed doubles event.

Paes and his Slovakian partner Daniela Hantuchova will meet Kristina Mladenovic of France and Daniel Nestor in another quarterfinal tie later in the day.

Li Na will hope to keep her head in check and feet on the ground during her third Australian Open final after her coach Carlos Rodriguez helped calm her for a thumping victory over teenager Eugenie Bouchard in the semi-finals on Thursday.
    Runner-up last year and in 2011, the battle-hardened Chinese smashed the Canadian sensation 6-2, 6-4 in a sun-drenched Rod Laver Arena and will battle Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova, the 20th seed, for the trophy.
    Of all her three runs to the decider, the 2011 French Open champion has her best chance of casting off her 'one-slam wonder' status at the ripe age of 31.

First-time nerves cost her dearly when she was overhauled by Belgian Kim Clijsters in 2011, and last year it was two unlucky tumbles on the hardcourt against Victoria Azarenka that took their toll on Asia's first grand slam singles winner.
    "I think it's the third time, so pretty close to the trophy," said Li, who rolled her ankle against Azarenka and blacked out for a moment when she thumped her head in the second fall last year.
    "At least I'll try to not fall down this time, because last year in the final I think I played well but I only can say I was unlucky because of falling down twice," she told reporters.

The only slip-up Li had against the highly-fancied Bouchard was on serve in the second set when she was broken early to fall behind 2-0.
    The more emotional Li of yesteryear might have promptly fallen into a deep hole, but instead she rattled off three straight games and marched to a confidence-building win in under 90 minutes.
    Since taking on Rodriguez, the former mentor to Belgian great Justine Henin, Li has made the quarter-finals or better of four of the last five grand slams and the Argentine has earned his money in this tournament.
    Rodriguez gave the Chinese a stern lecture about her goals following her tight third-round win over Lucie Safarova in which she played erratically and was saved by a 'Hawk-eye' review for a close line call on match-point.