Thread: Srinivasan's continuance as BCCI boss is nauseating: SC

The Lone Ranger Lieutenant General rishabhd's Avatar

Default Srinivasan's continuance as BCCI boss is nauseating: SC

In a damning remark, the Supreme Court on Tuesday said that N Srinivasan continuing as Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) boss is “nauseating.”

The Supreme Court made the observation regarding the high-profile IPL betting and match-fixing scandal. The court gave Srinivasan two days to take a decision before it resumes hearing the case on Thursday.

Referring to the Justice Mukul Mudgal report, a two-judge bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik said that "We don`t like to damage people`s reputation, but unless the BCCI president steps down, no fair investigation can be done.”

Then asking why is Srinivasan sticking to the chair, the bench added that Srinivasan`s continuance as the BCCI boss is “nauseating.” It further warned that if Srinivasan would not step down, the court will pass the verdict.

Meanwhile, Srinivasan has distanced himself from commenting over the issue.

On the other hand, an International Cricket Council (ICC) spokesman said the world governing body “has no comment to offer at this stage” relating to the Indian Supreme Court’s observations on Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President N Srinivasan.

The report, submitted on February 10, concluded that Gurunath Meiyappan, N Srinivasan`s son-in-law, was the de-facto owner of the Chennai Super Kings. It also said that Meiyappan passed crucial information on IPL matches to others, and it had recommended further investigation on the role of Meiyappan in spot-fixing.

It is reported that the report also mentioned names of six prominent "Indian capped" players, including one who is part of the current team.

During the hearing, the BCCI pleads the apex court not to disclose the contents and names of the players mentioned in the report.
    Wo Acha Hay Tou Behtar, Bura Hay Tou Bhi Qabool
    Mizaaj-E-Ishq Mein Aib-O-Hunar Dekhe Nahi Jatay...!!!

Default Srini under pressure as three BCCI VPs ask him to resign

Pressure on Tuesday mounted on N Srinivasan to quit as BCCI chief with three vice presidents joining former cricketers and administrators in asking him to respect the Supreme Court observation that he should step down for a fair probe into the IPL fixing scandal.

After going through the contents of a report filed in a sealed cover by apex court-appointed probe panel into the scandal, a bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik said there are "very very serious" allegations made in the report and unless the BCCI President steps down, no fair probe can be conducted.

The beleaguered Srinivasan now appeared isolated even within the Board as three of the five vice-presidents -- Shivlal Yadav, Ravi Sawant and Chitrak Mitra -- asking him to abide by what the Supreme Court observation.

"SC has given the order, nobody can challenge it. We have to accept it. Since the SC has given an order, there is no question of going back on it or giving an opinion on that. It has to be carried out in total and BCCI will have to follow whatever the Apex Court has given," Yadav, a vice-president representing South Zone, said.

Asked if he was willing to do the duty, he said, "Absolutely, I am ready to accept any responsibility given to me."

Another Vice-President Ravi Sawant, who is representing West Zone, asked Srinivasan to resign within the next two days, before the matter comes up before the apex court.

"Supreme Court is the highest authority. It the SC has said (Srinivasan must step down), nothing can be done. If the Supreme Court has said he should resign, then he should step down within these two days," Sawant said.

"If there is a vacancy (in the post of BCCI president), the GBM of the BCCI will decide (who will occupy the vacant chair)," he added.

Vice-President from East Zone, Chitrak Mitra said that a full-fledged president will take over after Srinivasan steps down.

"The SC verdict said Srinivasan should step down for a proper investigation (into IPL fixing scandal). If he does not stepped down, the SC will pass an order to that effect on March 27. That's all about it," Mitra said.

"Since the term of South Zone (for BCCI presidency) is going on, most probably Shivlal will become the president. Last time also when Srinivasan could not attend the BCCI meeting due to his father's demise, Shivlal presided over it," Mitra said.

"This time, it will not be an acting president. Jagmohan Dalmiya was made acting president because at that time Srinivasan only stepped aside not stepped down. It's different this time, Srinivasan has been told to step down."

Former cricketers Mohinder Amarnath and Bishan Singh Bedi and ex-BCCI administrator and former Rajasthan Cricket Association President Kishore Rungta also called for Srinivasan's stepping down.

Amarnath, a member of 1983 World Cup winning team, said that the "game was bigger than an individual" and Srinivasan should step down in the interest of Indian cricket.

"In the interest of the game, one should step aside and let the enquiry go on. As a lover of the game, he should step down. He should respect the law and he should honour what Supreme Court has suggested. Let's see how it goes," Amarnath said.

Bedi took to Twitter to express his opinion. "BCCI touches lowest low-thx SC' nudge 'Srini must step dn' & out of all matters crkting!What happens2all his cronies in bcci & icc?!Hail SC!," he tweeted shortly after the court observation.

In his second tweet, Bedi wrote,"Justice MMudgal arrived on Indn crkt scene most providentially/aptly 2 clean up corrupted culture-any culture gd or bad stems frm top down!!"

Rungta was scathing in his criticism of Srinivasan, whose son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was found guilty of placing bets on his IPL team Chennai Super Kings.

"I am happy that Supreme Court has asked him to resign. This was absolute arrogance that he was continuing as President of the BCCI," Rungta said.

"The conduct committee (earlier) had said no Board member would indulge directly or indirectly with the game (IPL team). An Exception was made for Srinivasan, which was wrong. I wish Supreme Court had taken a view at that time," Rungta said.

Srinivasan had stepped aside in June 2013 after Meiyappan's name had cropped up in the fixing scandal, which had to led to ban on paceman S Sreesanth and his two other Rajasthan Royals colleagues. In his absence, former BCCI chief Jagmohan Dalmiya discharged the duties of the President.

However, at the BCCI AGM in September 2013, Srinivasan was re-elected as President.

Supreme Court had appointed a three-member probe panel, led by retired judge Justice Mukul Mudgal to investigate into the fixing saga. The Apex court-appointed panel had replaced BCCI's own two-man probe panel, which had exonerated Meiyappan of any wrongdoing and its verdict was challenged in the courts.
    Former BCCI president Shashank Manohar said if he was in Srinivasan's position, he would have relinquished his position long back.

"If you ask me I would have stepped aside. BCCI is more important than an individual. Individuals don't matter. You have to maintain the integrity of the institution and that's very important," Manohar said.

Former BCCI treasurer Ajay Shirke echoed similar feelings.

"It was strictly personal decision that I took because that time I felt uncomfortable with what was happening and therefore I decided to quit.

"Srinivasan for whatever reason decided not to resign. So it's now coming to the state where the Supreme Court had to come down heavily on the board. Personally to me this is a very sad thing because we all have been members of that august body. It is sad to see that BCCI has landed in such a situation," Shirke said.

Default Quit before you take Indian cricket to gutters: Ex-BCCI chief Bindra to Srinivasan

Former Indian cricket board president Inderjit Singh Bindra Wednesday launched a scathing attack on board chief Narayanaswami Srinivasan, saying he should resign immediately before he takes Indian cricket to the gutter along with himself.

"Quit before you (Srinivasan) drag Indian cricket down the gutter along with yourself," said Bindra.

Bindra's comments came a day after the Supreme Court said that a fair investigation in the Indian Premier League (IPL) betting scandal would not be possible if Srinivasan continues as the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

The Supreme Court Tuesday not only observed that Srinivasan's behaviour was "nauseating" and asked him to quit but it also threatened to pronounce its own decision if he doesn't.

Bindra, who has been demanding Srinivasan's resignation ever since the IPL scandal broke out, said what he has been saying for over a year has finally been vindicated.

"Finally, what I have been saying for weeks, months and over a year, has been vindicated... It's a moment of shame for us to see the game gaining such disrepute across the globe for a single man's obsession with power," Bindra wrote in a blog on his personal site.

"It is not a moment for me to gloat personally, especially as the Supreme Court of India has raised questions about the BCCI, an organisation I once headed," he wrote.

Bindra said it has been more than 24 hours and neither the BCCI nor Sriniavasn has taken any step.

"What stung me most was the use of the word 'nauseating' by the apex court in describing BCCI and its chief, N Srinivasan. If that is not reason enough for someone to be ashamed, I wonder what is? It has been over 24 hours and the BCCI and its chief have taken no action as yet," he said.

Bindra says he is surprised with the way the top brass of the BCCI has chosen to stay silent or have escaped with open-ended statements.

"What surprises me even more is the fact that there has been no murmur from the top brass in the BCCI. Yes, there have been statements from the BCCI vice-presidents but they are too open-ended. The inaction by the BCCI top brass reflects Srinivasan's shamelessness to stick to his chair," he said.

Bindra agrees with the Supreme Court's observations that the real truth of the match-fixing saga will not be revealed and the main culprits will not be brought to justice if Srinivasan doesn't step down.

Bindra also said that the IPL should be suspended for the time being and wondered why some of the matches were played in Sharjah when in the past the BCCI had boycotted the venue, which was believed to be the epicentre of nefarious activities in cricket.

"I think, we still have time and we can still pull matches out of Sharjah. This IPL provides a backdoor entry for Sharjah to be accepted by one and all. IPL needs an urgent cleansing process," he said.