Thread: Is something is better than nothing in career?

workingman

Default Is something is better than nothing in career?

Hi
    I started working almost 4 years back and till now Ive not grown technology/learning wise in reality. Its just on paper that my years are increasing. And even that is not respectable enough to be confident inside and get praise/money outside.
    My first manager said "Something is better than nothing". I think this has become a motto my life will be based on.

To go into a little bit of detail: when I joined as a fresher I was put in a technology called SAP. Its certification is 5 lakhs plus after 30 days of training and usually people learn by hands on experience. Even a reputed organization like *CL, I didnt get many opportunities to learn because:-
    1. Theres less work in India and more employees. Rarely are people "so busy they could kill themselves". They may say that but they wont share any work with subordinates. Everyone wants to showcase how much they work.
    So they didnt teach me anything hands on or gave me any work.
    2. If I think that Im a loser who couldnt extract work from them, the best way to extract was to talk to the manager. But they didnt show any initiative.

Either I ended up fighting with a senior or fighting with the boss coz they broke the rules all the time and if I did something to offend them I was out. I rarely got great appraisals. But thats ok.

I studied so much theoretically based on issues that were coming that I am flooded with info that didnt come to hands on use.

Now after almost 4 years I found another job in a power based company (non-IT) which had SAP work. Thats a sarkari environment vis a vis infrastructure as well as office politics which is bigger here. The manager is non-SAP person who is rarely in her cabin. The experienced person in my technology isnt taking any initiative to make me a userid forget about knowledge transfer.
    If I repeat the same anger I showed in *CL in new company Ill surely be fcked worse. Its been a week and no ones helping me.

I see people my age doing millions of things education wise and career wise and I have no support at home (financial or advise related) that can mentor me. I see them going on holidays getting married smartphones etc and Im still stuck in this hell hole. Maybe the issue is astrological but is it all my fault? I tried mailing people to get what theyre supposed to do, sitting with head down the whole day, asking managers but nothing works. HRs in India are a joke so escalating to them is laughable.

The problem is manifold. Something is better than nothing is a sarkari philosophy with chalta-hai-yaar attitude which I cant understand....
    1. Either I fight for my rights and get bad appraisals and comments.
    2. Or sit back and wait for managers to give me bad appraisals as I dont take initiative.
    3. Or show middle finger to this indian IT environment of office politics and go for higher education/change of country (dont have any financial or advise resources for this).

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hi! I can understand your frustration- its really hard to sit in office all day and spend day upon day without a sense of achievement. See, if you want to opt for a change of career of to study abroad, I'd suggest that you visit the sites of universities abroad and see what would interest you. There would usually be a counsellor whom you could talk to.
    Alternately, you can pay visits to some well known bureaus which help in identifying courses and to send students abroad. A third way is to attend the exhibitions (for want of a better word) set up by universities of countries from time to time in various cities. That would at least help you to identify what you want to do.

IT industry is full of the crap you mentioned- all over the world. All over the world- you find same PMs, tech leads etc. like you described. Same appraisal cycles, same cheating and false promises. Now that you know that IT career is not worth it, what else can you think of? Foreign degree? What is the guarantee that you will have a better life after that? Whichever country you go to, you will find the same crap. So the question arises, - can you endure it? If yes, then continue, else do whatever you feel right. Have some risk taking capability. Those who take risks, don't seek any advise on forums. Good luck.
    You never know what you can become ..

New Born

Dude, if you really want to work, really want to learn, you will have to be able to gel nicely with the people. If from day one, you start demanding good work, without proving yourself, no one, mind you, no one in today's corporate world will give you challenging work just like that. The idea is to take one step at a time. So prove your metal in whatever task is given to you.
    Now that you have just joined a new org, don't hurry up things. Each company has their process and their own way of doing things - asking them to change for you because you don't have patience isn't gonna work in your favour. So, at the moment, just chill out. Find opportunities to make use of your spare time, and keep reminding them of creating your userid without showing your frustration/impatience/immaturity.
    And be geared up, whenever a new task is given to you, however small/minor/unchallenging it is, try doing it in the nicest way possible. I would say, if you stick to this role for 2-3 years, and continue to do so, then only you will be able to prove yourself.
    Focus on the work given to you, and not on the work not given to you. There are shortage of people like you in today's corporate world, but have patience and you will strike gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    Hi! I can understand your frustration- its really hard to sit in office all day and spend day upon day without a sense of achievement. See, if you want to opt for a change of career of to study abroad, I'd suggest that you visit the sites of universities abroad and see what would interest you. There would usually be a counsellor whom you could talk to.
    Alternately, you can pay visits to some well known bureaus which help in identifying courses and to send students abroad. A third way is to attend the exhibitions (for want of a better word) set up by universities of countries from time to time in various cities. That would at least help you to identify what you want to do.
    My career is ruined too. Would love to know more tips on how to handle such stuff that workingman is suffering.
    How to go abroad without a plan or a mentors advise/experience/tips and above all money?!

The problem is that most of us were not grown up with the ambition that we can do what we wish to do. Whether its art, or making cakes or repairing bikes - we ourselves nor our parents nor our relatives can even digest such careers. And when you get into a career that doesnt suit your temperament or your choice then you will live in mediocrity.
    Like me you will hate your company people around you the work the lack of work the administration the infrastructure everything.

I might hang myself now Im so depressed.

Survival of the fittest, hope you become more and more fit day by day. Things are the same for millions of people. still they manage to handle it, it is not easy but doable. I would say 90% people don't like their job or the things at their work place, still they carry on coz that's what the zindagi ki gaadi is..
    Quote Originally Posted by archer_paradise View Post
    My career is ruined too. Would love to know more tips on how to handle such stuff that workingman is suffering.
    How to go abroad without a plan or a mentors advise/experience/tips and above all money?!

The problem is that most of us were not grown up with the ambition that we can do what we wish to do. Whether its art, or making cakes or repairing bikes - we ourselves nor our parents nor our relatives can even digest such careers. And when you get into a career that doesnt suit your temperament or your choice then you will live in mediocrity.
    Like me you will hate your company people around you the work the lack of work the administration the infrastructure everything.

You never know what you can become ..

Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by workingman View Post
    Hi
    I started working almost 4 years back and till now Ive not grown technology/learning wise in reality. Its just on paper that my years are increasing. And even that is not respectable enough to be confident inside and get praise/money outside.
    My first manager said "Something is better than nothing". I think this has become a motto my life will be based on.

To go into a little bit of detail: when I joined as a fresher I was put in a technology called SAP. Its certification is 5 lakhs plus after 30 days of training and usually people learn by hands on experience. Even a reputed organization like *CL, I didnt get many opportunities to learn because:-
    1. Theres less work in India and more employees. Rarely are people "so busy they could kill themselves". They may say that but they wont share any work with subordinates. Everyone wants to showcase how much they work.
    2. If I think that Im a loser who couldnt extract work from them, the best way to extract was to talk to the manager. But they didnt show any initiative.

Either I ended up fighting with a senior or fighting with the boss coz they broke the rules all the time and if I did something to offend them I was out. I rarely got great appraisals. But thats ok.

I studied so much theoretically based on issues that were coming that I am flooded with info that didnt come to hands on use.

Now after almost 4 years I found another job in a power based company (non-IT) which had SAP work. Thats a sarkari environment vis a vis infrastructure as well as office politics which is bigger here. The manager is non-SAP person who is rarely in her cabin. The experienced person in my technology isnt taking any initiative to make me a userid forget about knowledge transfer.
    If I repeat the same anger I showed in *CL in new company Ill surely be fcked worse. Its been a week and no ones helping me.

I see people my age doing millions of things education wise and career wise and I have no support at home (financial or advise related) that can mentor me. I see them going on holidays getting married smartphones etc and Im still stuck in this hell hole. Maybe the issue is astrological but is it all my fault? I tried mailing people to get what theyre supposed to do, sitting with head down the whole day, asking managers but nothing works. HRs in India are a joke so escalating to them is laughable.

The problem is manifold. Something is better than nothing is a sarkari philosophy with chalta-hai-yaar attitude which I cant understand....
    2. Or sit back and wait for managers to give me bad appraisals as I dont take initiative.
    3. Or show middle finger to this indian IT environment of office politics and go for higher education/change of country (dont have any financial or advise resources for this).
    U seem to have lota spares.
    आपका अपना,
    Gudu Gudu ರಿಟರ್ನ್ಸ್

New Born

Quote Originally Posted by archer_paradise View Post

Hi Archer_paradise, same here. We Indians have such a social structure that every work has got some repo attached to it. And our culture has this very big flaw whereby 'respecting' = 'agreeing'.. so in order to respect parent's dreams/expectations/thoughts, we generally have to agree and abide and make them come true. Well, it will take decades to change this mentality.
    But, I have found out a mid-way. I always wanted to do something that involves people.. I still am not sure, what career would be fit for me, but now I have managed to make this as my hobby, whereas my primary job is into IT to make a living. I used to hate it a lot, then gradually accepted the fact and that made me have peace. I can say I am doing quite good in that direction now, after almost a decade into it. Dedicated. I am starting volunteering jobs (working with a dog rescue org to start with) to see if that is what I want to do. I will be spending a couple of hours every week, and then gradually increase if needed.

Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar

Hi

Fight it out. Fight for the principles you believe in.

You might come out successful some day.

If you are not successful in your fight, then you will learn a very good lesson.. which is, dont mess with the system which has been there around you. You are just a part of the system and not the system itself. Try to be the system, then you will have more trouble understanding, what you learnt was wrong, or your approach towards life itself is wrong IT will be a great journey, its like you playing KBC without the host Amitabh. Winner also you, loser also you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Gudu Gudu Returns; 06-04-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    आपका अपना,
    Gudu Gudu ರಿಟರ್ನ್ಸ್

SB Champion Lieutenant Inspector Pathan's Avatar

the third option you mentioned about going abroad try Germany, Austria, European Cyprus over here somewhat education is free so it won't be much of a financial burden.....good luck....

Hi

Chill dude. If u go with my experience, get urself ready to work in hostile environment coz no one teaches u in professional grounds else their positions wud rumble and secondly if u have to learn u have bow down and show ur humbleness else why the hell on hearth he will give his time to a person who regularly spats on him without any benefit. Learn to control ur anger and be street smart. if u hv to do drink either the cup reaches ur lips else u take the effort to take the cup to ur mouth. there is no third way bro.

New Born

Hi

The only advise I can give you, is quit now..go for higher studies and plan during the studies... After 2-3 years it will be too late for it.

New Born

You need to understand few things about life and then things will be okay. First thing you need to understand is about your education and degree i.e. your degree is not a guarantee that you will get good job which will teach you things and will make you earn good. If you consider it as receipt given by your university/college of money you spent on it, it will be better for you. Second thing you need to make your mind understand that SKILLS are almost everything. Understand and observe the low grades fellows in your class earn better because they are busy in acquiring skills when you were busy in acquiring grades and making receipt of your study beautiful. Third thing you need to understand is patience and persistence are difficult traits but are very necessary for successful life. You should thank God and your employers that they have at least given you a job and have given you a source of money. Lastly you should make your mind understand that every difficult situation has an opportunity in it. If you realize it as opportunity you will grow to be stronger and successful and if you cry you will only get weak and will remain in ruins.
    SUGGESTED PLAN OF ACTION
    After understanding these things your priority should be to acquire skills. You like SAP or whatever, and if you think people are not helping you. You need to work on your interpersonal skills. Read books and content on internet for improving them rather than crying. And in the meanwhile you also find and consult youtube or try to find content on internet. If you are free most of the day in office, read books of personal development and try to explore yourself. Be patient with people on job, and find what other things interest them... try to be just friends first without taking any benefit from them. Give them treats and DON'T EVER ***** ABOUT ANYONE. DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.. Once they are your friend ... they will teach you automatically.
    PERSISTENCE IS THE KEY.
    Every problem in the company or with your colleagues is a opportunity for you. Help them selflessly and catch the opportunity for making the friends. Ask them about bits of knowledge you have or will acquire from books and internet. Complete the puzzle of learning in your mind without mentioning.
    GOOD LUCK
    Remember to give before taking

New Born

You need to understand few things about life and then things will be okay. First thing you need to understand is about your education and degree i.e. your degree is not a guarantee that you will get good job which will teach you things and will make you earn good. If you consider it as receipt given by your university/college of money you spent on it, it will be better for you. Second thing you need to make your mind understand that SKILLS are almost everything. Understand and observe the low grades fellows in your class earn better because they are busy in acquiring skills when you were busy in acquiring grades and making receipt of your study beautiful. Third thing you need to understand is patience and persistence are difficult traits but are very necessary for successful life. You should thank God and your employers that they have at least given you a job and have given you a source of money. Lastly you should make your mind understand that every difficult situation has an opportunity in it. If you realize it as opportunity you will grow to be stronger and successful and if you cry you will only get weak and will remain in ruins.
    SUGGESTED PLAN OF ACTION
    After understanding these things your priority should be to acquire skills. You like SAP or whatever, and if you think people are not helping you. You need to work on your interpersonal skills. Read books and content on internet for improving them rather than crying. And in the meanwhile you also find and consult youtube or try to find content on internet about SAP or whatever skill you want to learn. If you are free most of the day in office, read books of personal development and try to explore yourself. Be patient with people on job, and find what other things interest them... try to be just friends first without taking any benefit from them. Give them treats and DON'T EVER ***** ABOUT ANYONE. DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.. Once they are your friend ... they will teach you automatically.
    PERSISTENCE IS THE KEY.
    Every problem in the company or with your colleagues is a opportunity for you. Help them selflessly and catch the opportunity for making the friends. Ask them about bits of knowledge you have or will acquire from books and internet. Complete the puzzle of learning in your mind without mentioning.
    GOOD LUCK
    Remember to give before taking
    Last edited by Jingleo; 04-05-2019 at 04:18 PM.

SB Legend Brigadier General

That's right.....