Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I gift an iPhone to my fiancee ?

New Born

Default Should I gift an iPhone to my fiancee ?

Hi

This might be one of the weirdest dilemma of someone that you might have come across. Let me explain it in brief.
    I am 26 and I got engaged to my long term girlfriend (7+yrs relationship) 3 months ago. She is also 26. The wedding is planned after 1.5 yrs.
    Her birthday falls in this month and I wish to gift her an iPhone 5s which would cost around 41K. Money isn't an issue since I earn well.
    The reason I want to gift an iPhone to her is coz her old android lags and she is a bit inclined towards iphone since she owns an ipad as well. Also, it'll be a big surprise for her and the smile on her face is something I can die for
    She has never demanded any gift from me but I feel that an expectation must be there. Though I did gave her gifts but none was much pricey. Mostly soft toys and handwritten poems which she likes a lot
    Now, the actual problem is coz of my parents. They'll come to know sooner or later that I have gifted her a phone worth 41K, which according to them would be an utter waste of money. They time and again nag me for not saving money.
    So, I am hell lot of confused. I cannot ask my parents for a 'permission' and neither I feel a need but, the thought of them confronting me fills me with guilt.
    What to do?

Thanks!

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Goodness me! If you want to gift your fiance an i-phone, just go ahead and do it, specially if you can afford to do so. If you were a struggling person who had little money, I cold understand the dilemma- but you say that money is not an issue. So, well, go ahead and if your parents question you, you can say that its a gift to the girl you are going to marry, right?

SB Addict

The iPhone, in association with the several Apps and as the primary medium to the vicarious social networks has resulted in the breakdown of several relationships. 41K can buy good jewelry. And although a diamond is a girl's second best friend (With the iPhone being her best), you should consider a nice pair of ear rings. Ear Rings accentuate a girl's beauty, not ear plugs. And the sight of her taking them off delicately, before slipping between the sheets is more gratifying than to watch her plug her ears and listen to Eminem.

Your parents would be proud of you if you buy Gold which is both a good gift as well as a sound investment. Freedom holds the ultimate value and one should stay unplugged. Since she already has bitten the apple (by owning an iPad), I would not try to provide her with a repeat experience. Ear rings if you like her to flaunt or a belly button stud if you would like to enjoy it all alone.

You would be guilty if you went ahead and bought her a communication device.

New Born

Thanks for the reply. I don't fear any relationship issues reason being that we have been together for 7 years for now which includes a 3 year long distance when she was abroad. She wears minimal jewellery, does have likes for earrings but those I can give anytime. Moreover she is planning to change her phone, so I thought me gifting her a phone might be a good idea.
    The real question is about my parent's reaction. Convincing them isn't my cup of tea

New Born

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    Goodness me! If you want to gift your fiance an i-phone, just go ahead and do it, specially if you can afford to do so. If you were a struggling person who had little money, I cold understand the dilemma- but you say that money is not an issue. So, well, go ahead and if your parents question you, you can say that its a gift to the girl you are going to marry, right?
    Thanks for the reply Preeto Maam. Yeah money isn't an issue for me but my parents think that I overspend. For them spending an amount of 41K on a phone would sound absolutely foolish.

Bullet Raja Major General Gudu Gudu Returns's Avatar

Your parents are correct. Going by today's standards, its better not to gift anything expensive to a fiancee or wife. No gaurantee that the relationship will last. So better buy a Nokia 1100, second hand set, remember its love, and its priceless.

Like this parents also happy, you save nearly 35k, fiancee too will be happy.

PS: Seriously don't invest that kind of money on a phone... Its a sin when people starve to death. Instead buy her a meal when she is hungry. Buy a meal for a hungry person. That'll make your gf happy.

Teri Mummy joota leke maaregi tujhe. Decide lo
    Last edited by Gudu Gudu Returns; 12-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.

« rahmaniac » Lieutenant-Colonel ariesgirl's Avatar

I don't think you have to ask your parents at all...and this amount is not a big deal for you..parents may feel like you wasted your money...that's the typical mentality of certain parents..but this is your savings...not the money you borrowed from your parents...and you are gifting it to your girlfriend...so you don't need any kind of reference to your parents. ..

New Born

I don't have a solution to your problem but I believe buying an iPhone 5s for 41k at this time of the year is a rip-off. You will be spending a significant amount and that too for a year-old device. Just so you know Apple is rolling out the next iPhone device sometime in September. So if I were you I would spend another 15k and buy the new one, since "paise ki kmi nhi hai"

Good luck.

SB Champion Lieutenant Inspector Pathan's Avatar

if money is not the issue go for iphone6....good luck.....

Issues like this and Kashmir issue and Gaza Strip and Iraq are so serious for us to crack.
    You never know what you can become ..

Young Gun

You do not have to ask anyone if you are doing right things....
    Giving gifts to your spouce a costly one and that too she likes.... will not be a bad idea....

It is she who can tell whether she have use for that thing...... if not then gift her.....

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel

Hi

This is the girl you will be marrying in future...some one you will share your future your assets and your life with... If her happiness means so much to you...of course go ahead and buy her the phone.... You are an adult now and I don't think you should feel any guilt if you want to buy a gift for your fiance..Why hide from your parents..If you are starting to hide things from your parents before marriage only..what kind of a relationship you think your wife will have with your parents after marriage...

Each relationship has its own place, its own importance in our life...keep it that way

SB ICON Lieutenant General don99's Avatar

no dude not now................. slow and tide wins the race.
    "Don't wait for the Perfect moment.. take the Moment and make it Perfect."

New Born

You mentioned that you are 26, and then you are worried about your parents "finding out"?! Is it 26 or 16? Are you a kid?

DESTINY STILL ARRIVES! Brigadier General adirocksit's Avatar

ya right pricey gifts are the best way to show love....gift her a diamond ....bcoz u know what they say about diamonds....

Diamonds are......

really pricey
    I Hope They Remember You...