Thread: Why is Entrepreneurship looked down upon in India?

Unregistered

Default Why is Entrepreneurship looked down upon in India?

Hello Preeto Maam

I am a single male in early 30's. I have been abroad for a decade and did all my studies here itself. After studies I have relevant experience in my industry working for the biggest player in the market for 7 years.

I got bored of the monotonous life and I quit the job, sold my car and everything and moved back to India. I took a "gap year" and then after deep thinking I realized that I don't feel exited about the career in the industry anymore. I want to do something on my own. I have a great business idea and although don't have relevant experience but with push and shoves will get there. So I though I should do PG and it will help me getting some relevant experience in managing a new venture (I am doing PG abroad and not started the venture yet).

The problem starts here... my father and most relatives are against it strongly. "if you do business you will never get married", "Even if you want to do it then do job until you get married then quit and start business. " "no one will give their daughter to you" blah blah. I am sick and tired of hearing it.

1) I am working hard in PG and looking forward to start a business. Not that I am stealing / robbing someone!!

2) Even though we are from a very well to do family ( I dont have to lift my arms for the rest of my life to earn) but I still have not taken any thing from my dad. I want to start it all from scratch on my skills. I am not causing anyone else any problem.

3) If a girl marries my job and not me.. whats the guarantee when life has ups and down (even if i stay in job) she wont leave me?? Or imagine this situation .. this girl marries Mr X who is am IIM graduate and on 25 lacs salary per annum. Mr X one day had a car accident and is paralyzed for life. So the girl will just walk away from his life?

4) Entrepreneurship in US has given such great things to this world - Microsoft, Google, Blog, Facebook, Virgin(UK), Amazon, ebay and you name it. I dont know a SINGLE indian company that has worldwide impact or has benefitted the human race in such a way (dont give me infosys, wipro etc - they are more known for their visa scams here than anything else) .

Everyone in India will happily use facebook, google and what not BUT will hate entrepreneurship!!

Even tho I am 30 I want to wait for a girl who marries me and not my job or my degree or my money. Do you think I am being unfair ?? I want to do something then why cant I ? The girl should marry me not my job??

Thanks

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Of course entrepreneurship is valued in India- the major movers and shakers of many of these ventures you mention are Indians BTW- and many have made their millions (of dollars) with startups that they have later sold to these giants.
    The issue is that your family is rooted in tradition- that security come with a job or a business. It is an old mindset that you will combat but but certainly, in India, there is lots of space and appreciation for new ventures and entrepreneurial capacity is admired.
    So go for it...think it through and don't worry about the mythical girl who still isn't anywhere in the horizon. What you say is true, BTW- there is no guarantee that a job- or so called security- will be forever. Life is about risks and when you take well informed decisions, backed with enterprise and ideas, there's no reason you should not succeed.

« rahmaniac » Lieutenant-Colonel ariesgirl's Avatar

i really do respect you,the way you have stated things...and they way you believe in your dream...coming to your questions,i would say that it is very normal that families start forcing a guy to get married when he is 30+...and it's not at all true that entrepreneurs are not favoured for match making...from what you have written i feel like the ultimate aim in your life,as of now is starting a venture and not marriage...so do what that make you happy...if you have the confidence to excel and have the capital to start the venture,then go with what your heart says..and girls who would love you for what you are would come into your life for sure..not everyone is behind money and degree..job/own venture is not what that decides how your married life would be...it is your financial stability that counts...and if you are established in your own venture,then no once is gonna reject you when it comes to match making...think of a marriage only when you feel like it's time to get married..even if it's after you fulfill your dream...if you don't go with what your heart says,you would probably regret in future for not doing it in the past...never let regrets pop up in future...and about entrepreneurship in india, well there is a first time for everything...may be your decision and determination would be the one that is gonna change the attitude of indian youth...! no one knows....so follow your heart...best wishes...
    Give people roses while they can still smell them. . .

SB Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello Preeto Maam

I am a single male in early 30's. I have been abroad for a decade and did all my studies here itself. After studies I have relevant experience in my industry working for the biggest player in the market for 7 years.

I got bored of the monotonous life and I quit the job, sold my car and everything and moved back to India. I took a "gap year" and then after deep thinking I realized that I don't feel exited about the career in the industry anymore. I want to do something on my own. I have a great business idea and although don't have relevant experience but with push and shoves will get there. So I though I should do PG and it will help me getting some relevant experience in managing a new venture (I am doing PG abroad and not started the venture yet).

The problem starts here... my father and most relatives are against it strongly. "if you do business you will never get married", "Even if you want to do it then do job until you get married then quit and start business. " "no one will give their daughter to you" blah blah. I am sick and tired of hearing it.

1) I am working hard in PG and looking forward to start a business. Not that I am stealing / robbing someone!!

2) Even though we are from a very well to do family ( I dont have to lift my arms for the rest of my life to earn) but I still have not taken any thing from my dad. I want to start it all from scratch on my skills. I am not causing anyone else any problem.

3) If a girl marries my job and not me.. whats the guarantee when life has ups and down (even if i stay in job) she wont leave me?? Or imagine this situation .. this girl marries Mr X who is am IIM graduate and on 25 lacs salary per annum. Mr X one day had a car accident and is paralyzed for life. So the girl will just walk away from his life?

4) Entrepreneurship in US has given such great things to this world - Microsoft, Google, Blog, Facebook, Virgin(UK), Amazon, ebay and you name it. I dont know a SINGLE indian company that has worldwide impact or has benefitted the human race in such a way (dont give me infosys, wipro etc - they are more known for their visa scams here than anything else) .

Everyone in India will happily use facebook, google and what not BUT will hate entrepreneurship!!

Even tho I am 30 I want to wait for a girl who marries me and not my job or my degree or my money. Do you think I am being unfair ?? I want to do something then why cant I ? The girl should marry me not my job??

Thanks

First of all all the best for your new venture...
    For you I guess timing is the problem....
    you have touched 30 which is almost the peak time to get married in India..so it is natural for parents to think about that...
    and for their concern that somebody will not give their daughter..it is true to quite extent...you are not earning anything as of now...so it is risky for any girl to be your life partner...and girls like to play safe...on top of that no parent want his/her daughter to get married to a guy who is unemployed..thats a shame but can't do anything about it.
    enterpreneurship is looked down because the natural reaction in india would be like " kisi ne naukri nhi di hogi isiliye company khol rha hai.."...your ideas won't matter unless you have proved them...for which time is required...
    you are not being unfair its just that you are trying to follow a different path..thats it...
    I am on the same path as well..only difference being that a girl left me for better-safe future even though I was working and earning decent amount....
    so take it easy....tell your parents that you want to make your future...marriage is not your concern...they will understand....
    And as far as girls are concerned, prioritize your plans...you want to start a startup or want to get married...
    there are many independent girls who dig boys with plans of their own...so just chill

and all the best for your startup career....

New Born

ur parents are perhaps worrying about the probable risk of you taking time to settle in your business and the chances of it getting successful.

there are good indian companies too now... so take a chill pill.. and follow your part..

and reg ur parents ... talk to them in a soft manner and convince them... maybe something like.. give me 2 yrs.. if it doesnt work i'll go back to job.. etc
    i have no doubts.. they will definitely agree.. afterall every parent would love to see their child grow in confidence and becomes independent.

reg borrowing money from ur family.. its upto u... if i was in that situation.. i would borrow partially...nd rest as loan

New Born

also i;m very much sure... the same people... who told you -vely abt this.. will give good WOM publicity to you once you are successful.
    and many would take ur story as an inspiration..

all the best

I liked your attitude so much, please keep it up. Just don't listen to all those naysayers. Just proceed with your business plans and don't think too much about marriage. If any girl marries you despite you leaving the job and starting your own venture, then her and only her is the right one for you. Don't get discouraged if you are not able to find a girl for marriage in next 4-5 years and focus on your business. You can be mean/rigid to your family and relatives if needed (if they try to be a roadblock). I hope you bring a new flipkart/snapdeal kinda thing for all Indians and make a good name. Good luck man- just keep up that good attitude.
    You never know what you can become ..

New Born

Its very ironical, that i had the same issue and did my education from abroad few years back....did pg from top college in india and then had to go for job coz my parents didnt let me to go do business...but believe you me...all people who work 9 to 6 in india always and always envy a business man or an entrepreneur.The very fact that business men are risk takers make them better than us in finance.Whereas, service men are always at the losing end coz we are always scared to take risks as we are working under someone..so we cant afford it..

Ill tell you the merits of entrepreneurship:

1) No "yes sir" , "no sir" to anyone
    2) you are the boss
    3) Better work life balance (very important), when one talks of 10 -11 hours duty and another 1 hour in commuting for servicemen..

4) The average salary of a MBA graduate (top 20) in india is 7.5-8.5 (coz i am from top 10 ) (deduct taxes and home expenses,and if you have like most people a car loan and home loan and education loan then you will be left with heavy 1000 Rs change in you pocket) and avg of an engineer is 5 lacs....that is peanuts for a business man...my cousins who are just b.coms and bba earn 1 lacs and more every month easy from their businesses after all expenses...and they have a lavish life

6) India has always been the country of entrepreneurs...(imagine the castes also get their names like marwaris, sindhi, parsi, boris etc) they make the mullas and the service people are only grilled...their quality of life is far far better than us

7) Most Service people cant even afford a house in their lifetime...and most best MBA school graduates (take my case) buy home taking a loan which peels him off for 10 years...its very hard for a service person to pay that off even for a 12 lac package guy (like me ), whereas, in india, the best homes, flats, localities are all filled with business men...so they have their own homes...

8) In India, service men pay max taxes, 30% every month, whereas businessmen always pay half or even less than they earn, coz they show less profits to tax depts., so they have more black money to spend on luxuries.

9) lastly look around in india, who has maximum cars, houses, iphones, etc ....they are all business men...not service men...Even a normal shop keeper in chandni chowk, sadar bazaar or central market in Delhi or Bandra, Dadar in Mumbai can afford a 12 lac car, for which he doesnt need to take loan.

My dear, in my batch there were 2 guys who had courage and left 80 grands per month package and started their own ventures, one is in banglore (he opened an organic shop), the other one is here in delhi (he opened a simple coffee shop), both of them are earning more than all of us 7 friends...and about girls...they come and go no matter who you are...i had a break up last month and the girl was with me in the same batch since MBA and we were in live-in and now she is getting married to some IPS person ...so am I doing business...so dont worry about girls (most of them are selfish...they will always think of their future first...no offense).For your information, most of the divorces in india are happening in metros and where both are doing jobs...and they are not happy...so job is no guarantee that you will have the brightest future when it comes to marriage...my cousin who is a shop keeper in delhi is married to a financial analyst from one of the big 4 and they are happy family....live your dreams the way u want and not what i did..coz if given a chance and if i have that money...i want to open a stationery shop now...and leave the job...coz its all about being happy and being in service (specially private) only makes few people happy....good luck brother

SB Champion Lieutenant Inspector Pathan's Avatar

Just ask your parents and relatives if i will do business and will never get married then how did anil and mukesh ambani got married..........business is better then anything.....good luck.....girls don't worry about them....they are just like cats they will come to you slowly but surely......

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello Preeto Maam

Thanks
    I just liked that post. not becoz u asked a query but its a real mindset of we indians. we always need surety in life. frankly speaking i was bright but was never interested in conventional fields when i told my parents in 2000 that i want to become an animator my parents disapproved. then did pg and finaly doing research and i am happy with my work as my work is being appreciated. in my initial days parents used to think i am i am a nonsense and tuining my life. its only after my cousin bro said that i am doing good work my folks idea changed. so basically u want to go an unfamiliar territory which ur family and frnds dont approve. but reality is if u dont take risks then u cant achieve great things. i too have similar theory abt gals. so dont worry and start ur business but make sure u plan well.

New Born

Oh ok, i again wanted to share something relevant to you....
    One of my school friend,his dad did his PHD from Singapore and he was an associate professor in a govt. college in delhi...he left his job 7 years back and the money he saved from years of service and some more from selling a property he used to open a printing shop (xerox, printouts, hoardings, posters, photos, internet,etc) in delhi...you know he is earning almost 10 times, what he would have been earning as a professor (thats what he told me today) and his son has also left a MNC (he is also MBA from delhi university) and has expanded the business and now they have bought another shop right above their shop where they are planning to open a mobile and pc store...
    So this is the magic of business. Dear, people like us work on the job because we dont any option and the capital to invest in a business...generally new business cost to a tune of crores in India and there is no govt. help in India...thats why you see in india people toil hard and become mad studying (living a depressed life afterwards) to get into the service sector...i bet if anyone of us have no monetary issues we will just do graduation and do business...I hope it made some sense to you.But have a good plan and search the market before investing...

New Born

hehe.. it's funny how you believe that something so complicated as a divorce can happen so easily. It's not that easy to swing in and out of relationships, even for a pure gold digger. Even tougher after marriage, you've got families involved. Plus if it is a contested-divorce - it could take anything from 6 months to a few years. Not every girl is out there to hurt you or marry you for your job, a majority of them just think as you do. I guess you are just over-thinking this one.

Second, if I'm Mr X in your example, I wouldn't want my life-changing accident to be a drag on the life of someone I love, as such, it would possibly be a drag on mine. I would be glad to see her walk away from my life. But it's her call eventually. I am sure you would agree with me on this, at least to some extent.

Third, entrepreneurs do exist in India but not in the same way as you would see in the US or any of the developed countries for that mater. The thing is India is very different, its needs, constraints and all are extremely complex in nature. So Western views, yardsticks or methods cannot directly apply here; it is unfair to even relate the two in some cases. It's a shame that you're complaining about how Indian companies have not contributed to human race in any way. Do you realize that we are a nation that has been oppressed and looted for years, have fought 4 wars in the last 65 years, continuous terrorism (Americans didn't even acknowledge terrorism until 9/11) and insurgencies on the border and yet we are a top economy in the world and help other countries, even with our modest resources. Of course we cannot be a top economy unless our companies have a meaningful impact on the human race, can we? Not to mention, we have basic issues like poverty, health, unemployment, illiteracy, overpopulation, lack of infrastructure and other resources. We have a GDP of $1.8 trillion, growing comfortably at 6 to 7 percent a year. Give half of our problems to any developed nation (of course China, Russia, Brazil are not developed), it will plunge into recession the very next day for the next 5 years and grow barely 1 to 2 percent for the rest of the decade. Plus, you have the audacity to blame India or Indian ways, but what are you doing to change the status quo?

Anyway, even though things are changing now, the general environment in India isn't pro-funding or pro-low-rate loans to new ideas or entrepreneurs. On the contrary, the US spends billions of dollars in funding for innovative ideas each year, both institutional and otherwise. Even if you aren't able to get funds, the key interest rates are low that encourages borrowings. So naturally people from the older generations in India think entrepreneurship is a risky endeavor - cut them some slack. Risk and reward are related and usually greater risk translates to greater reward. What you are feeling right now is the emotional price you pay as an entrepreneur. This is just the beginning, you will probably have to deal with a lot more. Also, all this is bothering you because you are afraid of failure. Would it bother you if you knew you are going to succeed? You will make mistakes, esp. early on no matter how good you are, in fact once you realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct your mistakes.

Lastly, you should enjoy living your dream. Pursue everything that makes you happy...plus more. You should not give up on things you like so easily, but rather find ways to be more efficient. Sure, career is important but you should also work on other goals, simultaneously. If you are only looking for career-related success at the finish line, then you are running a huge risk. Not only is success uncertain, but you would also overlook other beautiful aspects of life or in the process/journey.

So while I support your entrepreneur-aspirations, I think you should also work on finding a suitable partner for yourself as well as keep up with other things in life.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dAIC; 24-10-2014 at 11:39 PM.

New Born

If you want be Entrepreneur , this is your very first test. I am an Entrepreneur myself. I did my masters from UK and came back for my passion to business. No one believed me ... My mother laughed on my ideas... but still I started it. I still get to hear things which can make you cry but I move on.... If you are worried about "what people say" you will not succeed in this journey. Entrepreneurship is a journey full of thrones.... if you dare to enter it... your core will be tested.
    But remember reward is AWESOME
    Let me give you some idea so that you can take the final decision....
    In reality when you will finally start .... all the people including your parents will praise you.... people who do jobs and aspire to be businessman will praise you and give examples of you. You will feel proud of yourself BUT THERE IS A CATCH
    these people will expect you to get rich overnight and would like to see over night change in your lifestyle in few days. Your closer friends will try to get inside your business and all non close friends will try to exploit you treating you as already rich....
    BUT
    This will all shatter away after 1 or 2 years and people will go away thinking that you have failed when they will see nothing. Reality will struck you hard and cash flow problems will arise in the business. People will try to make you believe that you are failure. Now its test time again.
    Most people could not go beyond this point.
    WHY
    They try to solve their problems by asking for loans from same people who inspire to be like them. They insult them and shatter their self confidence. Even if you will stay in the business after that there will be long period of insults and unacceptability. You will be nearly shunned by family and insulted by parents. 90% of people go back to jobs when they endure this.
    Remember you will see yourself falling behind your age mates and class fellows.... you will have to sacrifice relationships with them because you will be out of their league but on the other hand you will have to build a network of success... networking and contacts are important in any business ... so this will test your social skills
    Beyond this point lies success....
    Remember this period will last 4 to 5 years and it will be difficult as hell.
    The way I suggest to pass the struggle phase is not to announce your business until its success if you can do that and keep showing that you are doing safe and secure job. If you can't do this then as the struggle phase starts .... keep it covered.... keep showing that you are earning good and do not even show to your parents that you are in trouble but for that you have to have ample amount of money to sustain. Remember that in initial years your business only needs to make enough money so that you can sustain and you have the cushion money to start again and again after loss. You need to learn and be reputable in market
    In first two years you only need to see and learn about market trends and then in preceding years you need to cash by taking limited risk ... after 6 years you start to take bigger risks....
    Keep your mind, eyes and ears open more than ever and diversify if needed without mentioning it to anyone. They want to see consistency but we need liquid money as fast as it can be earned. Most successful businesses start as something else and discover and adapt to be something else as they reach top.
    GOOD LUCK
    As for the marriage... start your journey .. pass the triumph phase and see what cash can you make to sustain at home... date until then and then marry the one who can improve you in business and in every part of life.
    Last edited by Jingleo; 22-09-2017 at 06:22 PM.

SB MahaGuru Colonel

hummmm......................