Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 10 Silly Hoaxes Which Took Indians For A Ride

  1. #1
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 10 Silly Hoaxes Which Took Indians For A Ride

    The Internet is a treasure chest of amazing finds. At times, you come across certain images and pieces of information that truly blows your mind. But another thing about the Internet is that not everything you find in there is really true. Here are 10 hoaxes that found their way to 'believability' thanks to the internet.

    1. A photo that went viral on Facebook with the title, "India during Diwali."



    Fact:
    This message went viral in India on the occasion of Diwali. The message came with a picture showing the satellite image of the Indian map during the day, followed by the same during the night, appearing bright and colorful throughout. However, the message was a hoax. The image in question is put up by National Geophysical Data Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, USA and is actually a composite satellite view of India at night, showing the change in night illumination during the period 1992-2003. Satellite data from the year 1992 is shown in blue color, 1998 green colored, and that in 2003 is colored red. This stunning composite satellite image of India at night was developed by NASA so as to illustrate the increasing population of India over the years.
    let it rain over me....

  2. #2
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 2. The "Original" Swiss Bank statement to India.



    Fact:
    There are so many false features in the letter that it's a miracle anyone actually believed it. Firstly, the official address to India is "Government of India" and not "Indian Government." Secondly, the amount in the bank accounts are mentioned in INR, that too using the Indian denomination system whereas the Swiss bank operates in US dollars, Euro pound, and GB pound, not INR. The telephone code of the bank mentioned in the address section of the letter is 0044, which is actually the code for the U.K. The international code of Switzerland is 0041. Also, the sign of the bank manager is on the right side end of the letter, where as the European system of communication and correspondence uses the left corner of the page for signatures.
    let it rain over me....

  3. #3
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 3. The Indian three headed snake.



    Fact:
    This picture showing a live three headed snake on an Indian road started circulating on many social networking websites. The message that comes with the picture states that it is a beautiful creation of nature. The story however, is a hoax. The three headed snake picture is not real, it is a photoshopped one.
    let it rain over me....

  4. #4
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 4. "UNESCO declares Indian National Anthem as best in the world."



    Fact:
    This story was very widely circulating through emails, blogs and social networking sites. The message claiming that the Indian national anthem "Jana gana mana.." was selected as the best in the world by UNESCO was never heard of or confirmed by any kind of news or media reports. If the story was factual, it would have definitely received wide attention from the media. If the UNESCO released such a statement, it would be readily available on their official website, which is no where to be seen. India Today wrote to UNESCO to get clarity on these stories and got a confirmation message from UNESCO that these messages were indeed a hoax.
    let it rain over me....

  5. #5
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 5. Indian woman gives birth to 11 kids at once!



    Fact:
    The photograph which shows 11 new born babies along with hospital staff was accompanied by a message claiming that an Indian woman gave birth to all of them in a single delivery, and considers it as God's miracle. 6 out of the 11 babies were reported to be twins. The photograph is genuine, but the story is a hoax. The photograph actually shows 11 kids born to different mothers on 11.11.11 at the 21st Century Hospital & Test Tube Baby Center in Surat, India. The doctors and hospital staff together with the new born babies took photographs and shared it as an interesting achievement on 11.11.11.
    let it rain over me....

  6. #6
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 6. Pictures showing the excavation site of a giant human skeleton.



    Fact:
    Many versions of this story were circulating through emails along with these pictures of giant human skeletons. The news related to this story appeared in the media in countries like India, Bangladesh etc. However, all these versions were false. The pictures depicting giant human skeletons are actually a part of image manipulation contest conducted by worth1000.com.
    let it rain over me....

  7. #7
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 7. Hanuman Gadha found during an excavation in Sri Lanka.



    Fact:
    This picture claims to show the Hindu God Hanuman's Gadha (mace), supposedly discovered during an excavation in Sri Lanka. Other versions said it is the world's largest Gada of Veer Hanuman discovered in Gujarat. The claims are not true. It actually shows a 45 feet Gada replica for installation on a 125-foot-high Hanuman statue on the outskirts of Indore, India on the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti (birthday) on 25 April 2013. (As quoted in Hindustan Times .)
    let it rain over me....

  8. #8
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 8. Bhagat Singh was hanged on the 14th of February, Valentine's Day.



    Fact:
    This hoax was a rather unfortunate and disrespectful mis-interpretation of Bhagat Singh's biography. Bhagat Singh was arrested following the 1929 Assembly bomb throwing incident. Fearing civil agitation, the then Viceroy of India Lord Irwin set up a special tribunal called the Privy Council to speed up his trail process. An Indian defence committee in Punjab appealed against the Privy Council, which was again dismissed by the Judge Viscount Dunedin. After the rejection, the then Congress party president Madan Mohan Malviya filed a mercy appeal before Lord Irwin on 14 February 1931, but even that did not work, and Bhagat Singh was hung on 23 March 1931 at 7:30 pm in Lahore jail along with fellow freedom fighters Rajguru and Sukhdev.
    let it rain over me....

  9. #9
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 9. "Important message from Delhi Police: Frooti can contain HIV."



    Fact:
    This story broke on Facebook walls and Whatsapp chats all over India. A supposed warning from the Delhi Police warned consumers that a worker from the "Frooti Company" was HIV positive and had added his blood to the drink mix. It also claimed that the story had been reported by NDTV. As you can guess, the whole thing was a hoax. Both the Delhi Police and NDTV denied the ridiculous story. Besides one can't even get AIDS through "infected" food.
    let it rain over me....

  10. #10
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default 10. A mysterious tree sighted in Nalgonda, Andhra Pradesh, India.



    Fact:
    The messages showed pictures of a tree with mysterious wooden carvings of various animals like crocodiles, monkeys, snakes, spiders and others; claiming that it is a 'Baobab' tree that has the largest trunk in the world. The message stated that this mysterious tree was found near a hermitage in the dense forests of Nalgonda, Andhra Pradesh, India. The truth? There was no mysterious tree or hermitage. This was in fact an art work in Disney Land.
    let it rain over me....

  11. #11
    SB Champion Captain Ârmään's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,346
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Nice nic thank you ......
    Its me. . . oh! yeah its me!

  12. #12
    New Born FC_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    52

    Default

    ...................Good..

    Apart from this there is one more in Maharashtra, about Shivaji & Vietanam.

    This Best Anthem hoax is circulating as 'UNESCO' just declared few minutes ago that Indian National Anthem is best....
    and this is in circulation for over 4 years...

    Other issue is the sender don't accept this is hoax and start argument...

    But, more disturbing are 'send this message to so and so people and see miracle' otherwise your bad timing will start. How educated people forward such BS?

  13. #13
    Rainbow chaser Major General
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Looking for one
    Posts
    37,824
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FC_A View Post
    ...................Good..

    Apart from this there is one more in Maharashtra, about Shivaji & Vietanam.

    This Best Anthem hoax is circulating as 'UNESCO' just declared few minutes ago that Indian National Anthem is best....
    and this is in circulation for over 4 years...

    Other issue is the sender don't accept this is hoax and start argument...

    But, more disturbing are 'send this message to so and so people and see miracle' otherwise your bad timing will start. How educated people forward such BS?
    main to 31 Oct wala bhi add karne wala tha
    let it rain over me....

  14. #14
    « rahmaniac » Lieutenant-Colonel ariesgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    god's own country!
    Posts
    8,781
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    good share riky...have seen many of them and used to get annoyed whenever this came...
    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post
    The Internet is a treasure chest of amazing finds. At times, you come across certain images and pieces of information that truly blows your mind. But another thing about the Internet is that not everything you find in there is really true. Here are 10 hoaxes that found their way to 'believability' thanks to the internet.

    1. A photo that went viral on Facebook with the title, "India during Diwali."




    Fact:
    This message went viral in India on the occasion of Diwali. The message came with a picture showing the satellite image of the Indian map during the day, followed by the same during the night, appearing bright and colorful throughout. However, the message was a hoax. The image in question is put up by National Geophysical Data Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, USA and is actually a composite satellite view of India at night, showing the change in night illumination during the period 1992-2003. Satellite data from the year 1992 is shown in blue color, 1998 green colored, and that in 2003 is colored red. This stunning composite satellite image of India at night was developed by NASA so as to illustrate the increasing population of India over the years.
    i always thought if people are so dumb to think that the light of diya is visible from sky!

    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post


    Fact:
    This picture showing a live three headed snake on an Indian road started circulating on many social networking websites. The message that comes with the picture states that it is a beautiful creation of nature. The story however, is a hoax. The three headed snake picture is not real, it is a photoshopped one.

    ppl even photoshopped snake with ten head
    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post


    Fact:
    This story was very widely circulating through emails, blogs and social networking sites. The message claiming that the Indian national anthem "Jana gana mana.." was selected as the best in the world by UNESCO was never heard of or confirmed by any kind of news or media reports. If the story was factual, it would have definitely received wide attention from the media. If the UNESCO released such a statement, it would be readily available on their official website, which is no where to be seen. India Today wrote to UNESCO to get clarity on these stories and got a confirmation message from UNESCO that these messages were indeed a hoax.

    probably this one is the most circulated one...i got it first when i was in school...now even my college is over and the msg still continues...
    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post


    Fact:
    The photograph which shows 11 new born babies along with hospital staff was accompanied by a message claiming that an Indian woman gave birth to all of them in a single delivery, and considers it as God's miracle. 6 out of the 11 babies were reported to be twins. The photograph is genuine, but the story is a hoax. The photograph actually shows 11 kids born to different mothers on 11.11.11 at the 21st Century Hospital & Test Tube Baby Center in Surat, India. The doctors and hospital staff together with the new born babies took photographs and shared it as an interesting achievement on 11.11.11.

    another one....
    Quote Originally Posted by 007RIKY View Post


    Fact:
    This hoax was a rather unfortunate and disrespectful mis-interpretation of Bhagat Singh's biography. Bhagat Singh was arrested following the 1929 Assembly bomb throwing incident. Fearing civil agitation, the then Viceroy of India Lord Irwin set up a special tribunal called the Privy Council to speed up his trail process. An Indian defence committee in Punjab appealed against the Privy Council, which was again dismissed by the Judge Viscount Dunedin. After the rejection, the then Congress party president Madan Mohan Malviya filed a mercy appeal before Lord Irwin on 14 February 1931, but even that did not work, and Bhagat Singh was hung on 23 March 1931 at 7:30 pm in Lahore jail along with fellow freedom fighters Rajguru and Sukhdev.

    i had actually checked google when i got this msg for the first time,a few years ago...
    Give people roses while they can still smell them. . .

  15. #15
    Dactar :) Lieutenant-Colonel Neha1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Dev bhumi Himachal
    Posts
    9,110
    Rep Power
    92

    Default

    Nice share riky .. 11 kids born from same mother in one pregnancy was biggest crap. Aurat hai wo koi anaconda nhi jo ek time mei itne ande de degi.

    3 headed Snake luks so funny.
    Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Similar Threads

  1. Silly Silly Facebook Stupidities
    By sens in forum Chit Chat Corner
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
  2. Silly Helmets For Silly Heads
    By sens in forum Chit Chat Corner
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
  3. Top Hoaxes of all time
    By basanti<<< in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 24-10-2011, 04:50 PM
  4. Greatest Internet Hoaxes
    By veekayy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-08-2010, 06:17 PM
  5. Celebrity death hoaxes
    By Preeto Maam in forum International Celebrities
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •