Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'They Said We Don't Give Flats to Muslims,' Alleges 25-Year-Old Woman in Mumbai

Young Gun

Default 'They Said We Don't Give Flats to Muslims,' Alleges 25-Year-Old Woman in Mumbai

Mumbai: Just a week after she moved into an apartment in Mumbai, Misbah Qadri, a communications professional, was asked out. "I was told that they do not give flats to Muslim people," she says.

The 25-year-old had found a three-bedroom apartment at Sanghvi Heights in Wadala after a long, difficult search. She teamed up with two working women, both Hindus; they contacted her on Facebook.

When she was about to move in, the broker allegedly told her that the housing society does not allow Muslims. Misbah was allegedly asked to submit her resume and sign a disclaimer, which said if she faced any harassment from her neighbours because of her religion, the builder, the owner and the broker would not be legally responsible.

Misbah found the terms offensive, but had no choice but to move in, as she already given up her previous apartment. She had hoped that she would be able to resolve the problem later.

A week later, however, the broker called her and allegedly threatened to throw her out of the flat. She alleges that she was asked to vacate the apartment and so were her friends, by association.

The society has denied it.

"We allow Muslim people to stay here. The broker should be asked about it," said Rajesh, the supervisor of Sanghvi Heights.

Lawyer and activist Shehzad Poonawala has drawn the attention of the state Minorities Commission to Misbah's case.

Last week in the city, 23-year-old Zeshan Khan, an MBA, was denied a job by a multi-national jewellery exports company, which said in an email: "We regret to inform you that we hire only non-Muslim candidates." The company later blamed the email on a trainee in its HR department.

Misbah Qadri, who grew up in Gujarat, says she was exposed to discrimination in the aftermath of the 2002 communal violence in the state. "I have been in Mumbai for 5 and half years. It happens in Gujarat and I have been facing it in Mumbai also," she said.

Young Gun

The case has brought back the debate about prejudices Muslims face, and how our secular republic reconciles itself with equal rights guaranteed by the constitution to minorities. Discrimination against minorities is often subtle, difficult to address legally and harder to prove.

Discrimination against minorities is often denied but can easily be uncovered. The ‘altering eye, alters all’. Call on a few brokers & here’s what to expect: brokers will either mince words, or jack up the rent seven times to scare you off or, if you are lucky, bluntly tell you the unpalatable truth.

More and more young, educated Muslims, single and couples, are leaving their native comfort zones for bigger cities for employment. They are denied job being a muslim & also deprived of decent housing on the grounds that their way of life is “incompatible” with the Hindu society. There is a need to first correct our sociological assessment and reclaim our plural identities. Indian values are not Hindu values alone.

We as Indian Muslims are struggling to remain who we are. It is sorry to see the slow death of Hindu liberalism. Much as we fail to see it, Hindu right-wing nationalism has spurred a hostile reawakening of the Hindu faith, much like radical Islam.

The mixed legacy of our villages is still largely intact. It is in our cities where differences have sharpened. The reality is that Muslims in urban India are facing a post-assimilation problem. They are blamed for failing to integrate and mainstream themselves; and are thought to be not loyal enough.

Unlike European Muslims, we are not immigrants from another land. So, why should we be denied houses?

Educated Muslims often take up houses in ghettos for reasons of compulsion than choice. This affects their quality of life.
    We must be granted everything as individuals and as Muslims as long as we remain Indians. It is not desirable to legislate every aspect of an individual’s life. However, widespread cases of housing discrimination sometimes make us feel alienated.

SB MahaGuru Colonel dsocialdoctor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidsuae View Post

Mumbai: Just a week after she moved into an apartment in Mumbai, Misbah Qadri, a communications professional, was asked out. "I was told that they do not give flats to Muslim people," she says.

The 25-year-old had found a three-bedroom apartment at Sanghvi Heights in Wadala after a long, difficult search. She teamed up with two working women, both Hindus; they contacted her on Facebook.

When she was about to move in, the broker allegedly told her that the housing society does not allow Muslims. Misbah was allegedly asked to submit her resume and sign a disclaimer, which said if she faced any harassment from her neighbours because of her religion, the builder, the owner and the broker would not be legally responsible.

Misbah found the terms offensive, but had no choice but to move in, as she already given up her previous apartment. She had hoped that she would be able to resolve the problem later.

A week later, however, the broker called her and allegedly threatened to throw her out of the flat. She alleges that she was asked to vacate the apartment and so were her friends, by association.

The society has denied it.

"We allow Muslim people to stay here. The broker should be asked about it," said Rajesh, the supervisor of Sanghvi Heights.

Lawyer and activist Shehzad Poonawala has drawn the attention of the state Minorities Commission to Misbah's case.

Last week in the city, 23-year-old Zeshan Khan, an MBA, was denied a job by a multi-national jewellery exports company, which said in an email: "We regret to inform you that we hire only non-Muslim candidates." The company later blamed the email on a trainee in its HR department.

Misbah Qadri, who grew up in Gujarat, says she was exposed to discrimination in the aftermath of the 2002 communal violence in the state. "I have been in Mumbai for 5 and half years. It happens in Gujarat and I have been facing it in Mumbai also," she said.
    and we are discussing what ? initiated by Whom ?

PS - There isnothing wrong if someone says "I dont give mky house to Muslim " ... Its legally, constitutionally Socially and ethically absolutely right !!
    If you think any candle march will affect "Islamic Terrorism", you are fooling yourself, Kill them or be ready for next attack !!

! Badass ! Lieutenant-Colonel ! Stud !'s Avatar

whose fault in this ?

Quote Originally Posted by ! Stud ! View Post
    whose fault in this ?
    are bhai wo to baad mai ....... but Is this story true ? as its "Alleged"
    If you think any candle march will affect "Islamic Terrorism", you are fooling yourself, Kill them or be ready for next attack !!

HALLA BOL Field Marshal amitsush's Avatar

i was in lucknow for few years
    heard that some bank denies loans to muslims of particular areas
    reason recovery people were killed or beaten
    don't know how much true , heard from friends only
    I WILL LOOK FOR U
    I WILL FIND U AND
    I WILL BAN U

! Badass ! Lieutenant-Colonel ! Stud !'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amitsush View Post
    i was in lucknow for few years
    heard that some bank denies loans to muslims of particular areas
    reason recovery people were killed or beaten
    don't know how much true , heard from friends only
    We will deny singing national song Vande Matram because of our religion....but...we get hurt when some random society denies to provide us flat because of our religion.
    Kuch kuch locha hai.

Is it wrong to deny a flat to Muslim ? Or Isnt its HoseOwner wish whom he want as tenant !! .... married or Bachelor ,Govt servant or private servant ..... Veg or non veg ..... big family ...small family ..... Drinkers or non drinkers ..... smokers or non smokers ......criminals or non criminals ......... then whats FUSS if someone opts Non muslims and deny Muslims ........

Poor sympathy seeker thread for once again "Claiming Victimization" .........

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthre...ight=extremist

yaar is thread mein bhi alleged hi tha, until the hindu org took responsibility. Uss din ke baad tujhe dekha nahin jawab dete hue
    Quote Originally Posted by dsocialdoctor View Post
    are bhai wo to baad mai ....... but Is this story true ? as its "Alleged"
    .......here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by guy pearce View Post

yaar is thread mein bhi alleged hi tha, until the hindu org took responsibility. Uss din ke baad tujhe dekha nahin jawab dete hue
    again a Overdone Attempt to save embarrassment so brought "Irrelevant" ...neways dono ko jawab yanhi de dete hai ....

Good someone took that responsibility ....and rightly so . Mughals were looters and rapist.

For this thread - I also believe "dont give house to Muslims" atleast i will never ever ...... nor any person i know will give ...... Reasons are Simple ......

HALLA BOL Field Marshal amitsush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy pearce View Post

muje mecca ke bagal mein mandir banane ki permission milegi kya
    when asked from jakir naik he said its not allowed in islam by giving some some abusred example 2+2=4 hota 3+1=4 nahin hota
    u are making threads on pitty issues as if they are happing only in 2015 specialy in modi govt, earlier everything was ok
    I WILL LOOK FOR U
    I WILL FIND U AND
    I WILL BAN U

I don't know how this news can be a news at all......being a Hindu, there are innumerable places in Mumbai where you cant buy a house !!!

Areas of Mahim.....Mohd Ali road.......Byculla......even Bandra....hindu families ko property dealers ghar offer hi nahi karte.....Mumbra Kalwa to poora mini Pakistan ban chukka hai....6 police wale din mein maar dale.....aajtak koi kuch nahi bola....

Ye kyon itna chilla rahi hai....????
    "I'm always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught"

Chalak¤Guy®™ Lieutenant parveztubez's Avatar

Originally Posted by ! Stud !
    We will deny singing national song Vande Matram because of our religion....but...we get hurt when some random society denies to provide us flat because of our religion.
    Kuch kuch locha hai.
    Kuy bhai Muslim aur Christians National Anthem proudly gaate hai vo dikhta nahi kya tujhe? Vande Matram gaane se hi Indian bante hai kya?

Kuch Kuch locha nahi hai bhai yeh sab ungli karne ka locha hai, Kuch log yeh digest nahi kar pate ke to keep everyone happy Jana Gana mana ko national anthem bana diya is liye jalan ke mare vandte matram thopne ki koshish karte hai.

Aur is jalan ki chngari dekh, aaj tak nahi buji

Chalak¤Guy®™ Lieutenant parveztubez's Avatar

Originally Posted by gracefulguy

I don't know how this news can be a news at all......being a Hindu, there are innumerable places in Mumbai where you cant buy a house !!!

Areas of Mahim.....Mohd Ali road.......Byculla......even Bandra....hindu families ko property dealers ghar offer hi nahi karte.....Mumbra Kalwa to poora mini Pakistan ban chukka hai....6 police wale din mein maar dale.....aajtak koi kuch nahi bola....

Ye kyon itna chilla rahi hai....????
    Mera calculation kehta hai ki Vo isliye chilla rahi hai kuyki vo ek ladki hai aur yeh samajh bhaiti ki ladkiyo ko housing society taang nahi karti.

Aur usne shayad kuch socialdoc ke post padh liye hogay jahan pe vo women rights ki baat karta hai. Kitni bholi hai yeh.

💥💥💥💥💥💥 Lieutenant General hotspicyhot's Avatar

In my house there is side portion 1BHK ... I put tolet board with my uncle number... one day a Moslem came and asked for rent . I showed the board and told you should speak to my uncle. After my uncle outrightly rejected even though he offered 8K for 4K monthly rent and double advance of 10 months rent. I asked my uncle isn't prejudice not rent Moslem citing no Moslem in our street. He said "They will eat beef but thats least problem. (The following lines are translated from Tamil to give essence only) But what if tomorrow he attracted by ISIS or something like that & joined that and we only go to police station and court"
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.