Dear Agony Aunt,

I am an avid follower of your thread and would like to appreciate the work that you have been doing. I am presently residing in Dubai and am faced with a life changing decision to make. I am in love with a girl who is also my far off relative. I have been in dubai since childhood, used to go to india for vacations and that's how I fell for her from a very early age. As of now we are in a long distance relationship for the past 10 years(i meet her once i go for vacations every year). We both trust each other and are very happy. Both of our families know about our relationship. There's no issue from her side but my parent's are not agreeing and have now, as of yesterday, forced me to get engaged to another girl of their liking. They emotionally blackmailed me and threatened me with their honor and the scarifices they have made for me. I have been fighting my parents for the last 2-3 years to allow me to marry the girl of my choice but to no avail. They have only 1 issue and that is what will people say that their son has opted for love marriage whereas the parents always opposed it. All they care is what will others say, they have turned a blind eye to my happiness and say once you get married to the girl of their choice everything will be good. i can not move on with this, i love my girl a lot and i can not leave her. Kindly suggest me how to tackle this issue and also not hurt my parents.