Thread: Non-vegetarian in a vegetarian family

Unregistered

Default Non-vegetarian in a vegetarian family

I am from an orthodox brahmin family, all my family members confine to customs and traditions and don't even like to sit, talk or associate with anyone who eats Non-vegetarian food and expect the same thing from me.
    I on the other side am an atheist and love to eat Non-vegetarian food.
    Till now I have been living a double life one which I love and one which my family expects me to live. I've always been lying about my food habits and am tired of it. I want to confess that I'm a Non-vegetarian and have been contemplating on it. I don't not wish to live a life based on a lie. I want to start afresh, But at the same time I'm scared that my family will react severely and I'll loose their trust forever.
    Please do suggest me a way out.
    P.S. : My family is looking for a suitable match for me and expect my would be wife to be a "Pure vegetarian" and convey that I'm a vegetarian.

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hi! Perhaps you should think about disclosure of your food preferences if you or your family will gain anything out of it or if it will change anything in your household like allowing the consumption of non veg food.
    Probably not! Under the circumstances, the best option would be to first see how the girl feels about non veg food. If she is not willing to allow it at home, then maybe you can work out a system whereby you can eat non veg when you are not eating at home. many couples with different food preferences do that.

there is no easy way. either you tell your family and hurt them OR keep leading a double life. its easy to hide things from your parents, but not so much from your wife after marriage. so better you tell the family, hurt them once and get it done with. i know its not easy, but i dont see a softer easier way. if you dont do this now, you might have to face bigger problems later.
    Ek din sher banke jeene se behtar hai do din sher banke jiyo...

Just tell them you have been eating meat from last 10 years, and if they want to disown you for that, be ready. Tell them you will still eat meat and will not stop and want a girl who eats non-veg or accepts your food habits. Prepare to leave home if you have to. Most likely they will accept you after some drama as you have been eating meat from so long and they can make you un-eat that.
    You never know what you can become ..

SB Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am from an orthodox brahmin family, all my family members confine to customs and traditions and don't even like to sit, talk or associate with anyone who eats Non-vegetarian food and expect the same thing from me.
    I on the other side am an atheist and love to eat Non-vegetarian food.
    Till now I have been living a double life one which I love and one which my family expects me to live. I've always been lying about my food habits and am tired of it. I want to confess that I'm a Non-vegetarian and have been contemplating on it. I don't not wish to live a life based on a lie. I want to start afresh, But at the same time I'm scared that my family will react severely and I'll loose their trust forever.
    Please do suggest me a way out.
    P.S. : My family is looking for a suitable match for me and expect my would be wife to be a "Pure vegetarian" and convey that I'm a vegetarian.
    tell them the truth...

~ cavalier ~ ♀ ☣ )o( ⌆ Lieutenant-Colonel Lisbonstar28's Avatar

Congrats on finding your own path and not following a faith blindly just because you were born into it. Humans we are - not sheep. There's no subtle approach you're just going to have to gather the courage to tell them. If they persist to play the ethics and authority card then move out. Anything is better than living a lie that gradually drains you.
    So may it be

SB Addict

You need to "make no bones about it, to know what's at steak?"

Carry home bills of the butter chicken and Naan that you have had, the day you refuse dinner.

Print out articles that talk about the protein benefits of Fish and Eggs and pin it at your desk.

Tell them very clearly, that although you love the crunch of a Green Salad, you like an occasional tenderloin.

If the hot dog fails to cut the mustard, it is probably time to hatch your eggs in a different nest.