Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garments: Buying lingerie-Guide for men

SB Champion

Default Garments: Buying lingerie-Guide for men

Clothes, fashion, accessories, shoes and stuff that we want to buy.

It is commonly believed that fashion is feminine. Actually it is human. Both men and women wear garments and accessories that are dictated by the whims of fashion. We often forget that men did - and still do - run the world, and their clothes always tell a story about them and their times.
    People want to look good, yet don’t have enough information about it. Well, let’s correct that right now, as questions, and we will find the answers together.
    Last edited by Cerebral; 11-09-2007 at 10:39 AM.

SB Champion

Default Military origins

Do you know that we owe a great deal in contemporary civilian dress to what was done with military clothing? Even suits of armour that knights wore are considered the "beginning of tailoring" while today camouflage is a strong influence on both women's and men's collections.

Though it started with custom suits of armour, men's wear over time has been linked to social rank, occupation and the arenas of power and leadership. It still is, you have to wear the right kind of clothes to project the proper image.

Young Gun

Sometimes, when you wear tshirts, it is not considered good.
    When is it OK to wear tshirts? Why are called by that name?

Quote Originally Posted by Chokra View Post
    Surely..you just cant wear anything anywhere, everywhere...T-shirts are called T-shirts as they are in T-shape...

SB Champion

T-shirt is a CASUAL shirt it should NOT be worn on any formal occasion, especially if you are going for dinner with your date in a good, formal restaurant!
    When T-shirts first came out in the 1920s, they were made out of cotton and were used as "banyans" (as we call them in India). Nowadays, a T-shirt can be made of any material and you can buy them in different shapes and sizes - with or without collars and with or without pockets.
    The first cotton T-shirt came without a collar. When a T-shirt without a collar is spread out on the table or bed it resembles the capital letter "T", doesn't it? That's why it was called a "T-shirt"; because it was shaped like the letter "T". Another version is that it was the Army’s “training shirt.”
    In the 1950s, when T-shirts became extremely popular both in Europe and America, advertisers realised that they were a great way of promoting products. Soon we had T-shirts with slogans written on them.
    Wearing dress shoes with a T-shirt is again just not done--- wear keds, athletic shoes or sued shoes.

Young Gun

Thanks for the info. Now I have another question. I have to buy a coat soon, what kind of coat should I buy. Right now, my budget is only for one coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    T-shirt is a CASUAL shirt it should NOT be worn on any formal occasion, especially if you are going for dinner with your date in a good, formal restaurant!
    When T-shirts first came out in the 1920s, they were made out of cotton and were used as "banyans" (as we call them in India). Nowadays, a T-shirt can be made of any material and you can buy them in different shapes and sizes - with or without collars and with or without pockets.
    The first cotton T-shirt came without a collar. When a T-shirt without a collar is spread out on the table or bed it resembles the capital letter "T", doesn't it? That's why it was called a "T-shirt"; because it was shaped like the letter "T". Another version is that it was the Army’s “training shirt.”
    In the 1950s, when T-shirts became extremely popular both in Europe and America, advertisers realised that they were a great way of promoting products. Soon we had T-shirts with slogans written on them.
    Wearing dress shoes with a T-shirt is again just not done--- wear keds, athletic shoes or sued shoes.

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

I like the second explanation of the T shirts better. I mean all men's shirts are in T shape, agar dekha jaye to.
    Now, heres my question....I have to buy a friend a tie. he is 45 years old and quite conservative in dressing. What is it that I should look for??

SB Champion

Glad that it was of some use!
    As for your question, if there is only one kind of coat, called a jacket abroad that you should have in your wardrobe, it is a blazer.
    A blazer is a long sleeved lightweight jacket having lapels. The cloth material used for blazer must be usually durable as it was earlier worn by sailors at sea. Blazer is commonly worn by students as sporting dress. It is also widely used as a dressy option for evening wear.
    The blazer is single breasted coat, closely related to a suit jacket. Generally, it differs from a suit jacket in that the buttons are usually metallic, and the outer material generally more durable.
    The classic blazer is the double-breasted blue one with brass buttons, the conclusion that the jacket is of military tradition is rather obvious.
    It is generally believed that the name stems from the HMS Blazer, a frigate, whose captain, when faced with a visit to his ship by Queen Victoria, decided to outfit his crew in short double breasted jackets in navy blue serge, with brass Royal Navy buttons.
    It is said that the Queen liked the "uniform" so much that it became the style. Today, the blazer remains navy blue with brass buttons, although variations can be had in black, tartan green or even red.
    Generally a blue blazer is teemed with grey flannels, or another grey trouser. In fact, you can experiment widely with a blazer, in American, tan or camel trousers and a blue blazer are worn quite often!

Thanks for the info. Now I have another question. I have to buy a coat soon, what kind of coat should I buy. Right now, my budget is only for one coat.

SB Champion

You have a point about the T shape.
    I will revert about the tie(ing) issue soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    I like the second explanation of the T shirts better. I mean all men's shirts are in T shape, agar dekha jaye to.
    Now, heres my question....I have to buy a friend a tie. he is 45 years old and quite conservative in dressing. What is it that I should look for??

SB Champion

Default Stylish stripes

The tie is actually a fashion statement with a rich ancestry. After all, it is the one lasting male apparel item which serves no obvious function other than adding zip to the wardrobe and a touch of personal style.
    Since you friend is 45 and conservative, stick with stripes. The latest in the fashion world is ---stripes, with bold colours still being hugely favoured.
    Some fashion pundits have noticed that the trend for stripes on ties is moving from thick stripes to thinner, multi-coloured stripes or a combination of both. Horizontal stripes are also becoming more popular.
    Now, remember, horizontal stripes are great for those who are not tooo—shall we say broad.
    In case he is a typical Indian above 45 male with a bit of midriff, consider the traditional plain colours or brighter diagonal stripes.
    Remember, good ties are costly, but then, you do want to show that you care enough to spend on the gift, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    I have to buy a friend a tie. he is 45 years old and quite conservative in dressing. What is it that I should look for??

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    The tie is actually a fashion statement with a rich ancestry. After all, it is the one lasting male apparel item which serves no obvious function other than adding zip to the wardrobe and a touch of personal style.
    Since you friend is 45 and conservative, stick with stripes. The latest in the fashion world is ---stripes, with bold colours still being hugely favoured.
    Some fashion pundits have noticed that the trend for stripes on ties is moving from thick stripes to thinner, multi-coloured stripes or a combination of both. Horizontal stripes are also becoming more popular.
    Now, remember, horizontal stripes are great for those who are not tooo—shall we say broad.
    In case he is a typical Indian above 45 male with a bit of midriff, consider the traditional plain colours or brighter diagonal stripes.
    Remember, good ties are costly, but then, you do want to show that you care enough to spend on the gift, dont you?
    I have been looking for pictures of different options of tying a tie. I once saw the pictures on tie box but I misplaced it. can someone put in the different ways of tying a tie with complete pictures?

Jay.

twitter.com/dilmeer Major dilmir's Avatar

Default Here are some Different ways of tying a tie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have been looking for pictures of different options of tying a tie. I once saw the pictures on tie box but I misplaced it. can someone put in the different ways of tying a tie with complete pictures?

Jay.
    DILMEER.

DILMEER.

Default What KNOT to wear!!

When it comes to tying a tie, you’ve got several options. In fact, some of those options don’t even require you tie a knot, such as a zipper or bow tie – clip-on ties, however, should be avoided. If you do choose to tie your own, however, there are a number of different knot options, including double Windsor, half Windsor, four-in-hand and Pratt. To tie a double Windsor – like the one Howard’s sporting in the picture – follow these instructions:

Hang the tie around your neck, with the wide end on your left, about 12 inches below the narrow end. Then, cross the wide end over the narrow end.

Loop the wide end behind and up through the loop formed between your neck and the tie.

Loop the wide end behind the narrow end, crossing it over to the left side of your body. Bring the wide end over the front of the tie and back down through the loop between your neck and tie.

Pull the wide end to your left, which will make the back of the tie face away from you. Make sure the loop you just formed is straight.

Cross the wide end across the front of the tie to the right side of your body.

Bring the wide end up through the loop between your neck and the tie.

Bring the wide end back down, going under the front-most loop of the knot.

Using a mirror, tighten the tie and adjust the knot until it is straight and even.
    DILMEER.

SB Champion

Default Windsor Knot

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Jay.

Necktie Knots: The Windsor knot is a wide triangular knot that is usually worn for formal occasions, this type of knot should be worn with wide spread collar shirts.

You can see more details at their website, which also has instructions for tying other kinds of knots:
    http://www.tieguide.com/windsor.htm