Thread: When Vidya Balan slapped Sanju

Default When Vidya Balan slapped Sanju

People recognise me on the streets now but that's about all that's changed in my life after Parineeta," Vidya Balan says, munching into a diet biscuit.
    The biscuits -- four in all -- and masala chai is Vidya's lunch for the day. And she eats it at 5 pm, thanks to her hectic schedule.

There's always a rush for time, she admits. In fact, the actress hopes the interview will not take too much time, as she needs to rush for a screening of her new film Lage Raho Munnabhai, which starts in an hour.

Her profession is not the usual 9 to 5 kind of job. "I work from 9 am to 10 pm," she sighs. But there's no denying that she loves every minute of it. After all, she gets to work with directors like Rajkumar Hirani (Lage Raho Munnabhai), Rajkumar Santoshi (Halla Bol) and Mani Ratnam (Guru).

Vidya admits that she never expected to be a part of Munnabhai MBBS's follow-up -- the makers insist it is no sequel, just another episode in Munnabhai and his sidekick Circuit's life -- when she first watched it. In fact, when the first film released in 2003, she was not even a part of the film industry. Her debut, Parineeta, was out in 2005.

"I don't laugh easily in films but Munnabhai MBBS made me laugh and cry, all together. My dad is not an avid Hindi film watcher but even he loved it. I never thought that I would get a chance to be in it," she says, chewing on her third diet biscuit, which now 'tastes like mud.'
    || तालिबान सक्क ||

After Parineeta, Mr Vidhu Vinod Chopra told me that Rajkumar Hirani wanted to test me for a role in Lage Raho Munnabhai. I tested for it, and passed. So it's not by default that I got the film -- I didn't get it just because I'm part of the VCP (Vinod Chopra Productions) family," she clarifies.

The role in question is that of Jhanvi, a radio jockey, whom Munna (Sanjay Dutt) falls in love with. And unlike her traditional character in Parineeta, Jhanvi is bubbly and a today's girl.

"Initially, we were confused about what my look would be in the film," Vidya says. "Subarna Ray Chaudhari, who had done the costumes for Parineeta, was doing the costumes here as well. But there was a seven-month break in the shoot, and during which Subarna got pregnant. So she could not be a part of the film. We had shot a few scenes at the beginning, but most of it was not used because of some script changes."

That's when Sheena Parekh stepped in.

Sheena had no background in the costume department before Lage Raho An MBA from Harvard Business School, Sheena made her debut in Bollywood as the co-writer of Karan Johar's Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.

She went on to co-write scripts of Chopra's Eklavya and Lage Raho, and even assisted Hirani for a while.
    || तालिबान सक्क ||

When Subarna left the project, Sheena had only a week to work on Vidya's look for the film. In that time, she got Vidya's hair cut and coloured, got her a new contemporary wardrobe and gave her a fresh, young look.

"We wanted to give Vidya a young look," Sheena says. "She's a young girl of today who dresses like you and me. We're not here to make a style statement. We're here to dress the character, not the stars.

Preity Zinta's look in Salaam Namaste as a radio jockey was very different. We had to dress Vidya according to the context of the story. If Vidya started wearing minis or strappy tops, it would not fit into the look of the film."

So Sheena went along with what the film demanded. For a song sequence in Goa, she made the entire cast wear colourful Hawaiian outfits. For the title track where Munna is going to meet Jhanvi for the first time, he decides to dress up. And dressing up for this local goon means wearing a colourful shirt with a bright red jacket!

"Vidya's earlier look was more ethnic. It had more salwaar kameezes," Sheena says. "But we wanted to give her a younger, fresh look."
    || तालिबान सक्क ||

Vidya also prepared for her role as an RJ in Lage Raho. "I went to some radio stations, and watched them work. I sat with Malishka (radio jockey for 93.5 Red FM, and before that, for Rediff Radio) and discussed my role with her. Mr Chopra and Raju thought that she was a perfect reference for the character. In fact, they were so impressed with her that the character was first called Malishka. It was later changed to Jhanvi," Vidya says.

Vidya admits that there were times when she stumbled in her scenes. But there was a particular tough scene in which Sanjay Dutt helped her out.

"There was a scene when I was thinking about something, and a recording of my thoughts would be played, so that the audience knows what's going on in my mind. But we hadn't done the recording before we shot that scene. So I had to play the words in my head, and get the expressions right. But it wasn't happening. That's when Sanju helped me out," Vidya smiles.

Vidya formed a close bond with Sanju during the shooting of Parineeta, and she claims that Sanju is very non-interfering.

"But at the same time, he's very supportive as a co-star," she adds. "If you're getting stuck with something, he will not rush you. Sometimes, actors do take time to get it right but not him. He never takes more than one or two takes.

He's very effortless in any genre. But because his performances are so effortless, he's very underrated. For example, he got the Best Actor in a comedy role (for Munnabhai MBBS) at an award function, when actually, he deserved the Best Actor award."
    || तालिबान सक्क ||

There was another scene, which had Vidya really worried. She had to slap Sanjay Dutt.

"I didn't know how I would do that," Vidya cries. "People took me for a royal ride because they told me that I would have to actually slap him. I started practicing on my assistant -- but I would lift my hand high to slap him and would come down really hard but would stop just near his face. Finally, I realised everyone was just pulling my leg. I didn't have to actually slap him; the trick camera did it."

The actress also got along famously with her other co-stars, Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani.

"I did not have any scenes with Arshad," she says, "But he is so talented and funny!"

She elaborates, "When we went to Goa for a song, we forgot it was a film shoot. We were splashing in the water, jiving, doing yoga..."

"And everyone wanted to know whether I was going to work with Dr Asthana (Boman's character in Munnabhai MBBS)," she continues. "They wanted me to bring back his laughter recorded! That's how popular he is."

In Lage Raho, Boman plays Lucky Singh, a rich builder, and Munna's 'dushman'.

Vidya concludes the interview with suspense, and refuses to reveal what role ****hiji plays in the film. For those who don't know, ****hi's image is flashed in the promos of Lage Raho, and for a while, the film was even titled Munnabhai Meets ****hiji.

"****hiji and his ideologies play a very important part in the film," is all Vidya says, as she gets ready for the next interview.
    || तालिबान सक्क ||