Ŧλέ Ŗαδ вÝγô

SB Legend Major General hotspicyhot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AxN View Post
    Mr. Doctor Mr. Doctor..

My computer is not working....
    Then How You Posting this

BTW : It is not Doctor Thread
    This Thread is about only Tricks , Tweaks and Enhancement
    The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only moment you reject all help are you free.

Arrow Copy Your Files Faster and Easier

Copy Your Files Faster and Easier

TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed, providing the user a lot of features:
    • Copy files faster. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives.
    • Pause and resume file transfers. Pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.
    • Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.
    • Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.
    • Shell integration. TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.
    • Full Unicode support.
    • Free for Home Users
    The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only moment you reject all help are you free.

Arrow High memory usage - FireFox

High memory usage - FireFox
    Firefox sometimes uses more memory than it should. It is a very complicated issue caused my many things, including memory leaks, faulty third party applications, and a change in the habits of web users. This article describes how to make Firefox use less memory (RAM).

Add-ons

Extensions and themes

Extensions and themes can cause Firefox to use more memory than it normally would. Starting Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode and observing its memory usage, will tell you whether extensions and themes are significant memory consumers for you. If you notice a significant improvement, you can try disabling or uninstalling extensions.

Plugins

Older versions of plugins can consume large amounts of memory. You should make sure you're using the latest versions of your plugins.

If your are still having problems, there are some workarounds for specific plugins listed below.

Adobe PDF Reader

Adobe Reader SpeedUp is a free Windows utility that disables various features of Adobe PDF Reader to improve performance and decrease memory usage.

Flash

Flash content is among the most common content that requires a plugin. Often, Flash isn't required for a site to function. The Flashblock extension will stop Flash content from loading automatically; it will replace Flash content with a button you can press if you wish to see it. Because less Flash content will load, the Flash plugin will be invoked fewer times and use less memory.

Download history

Firefox can use excessive memory if you have a large download history. The solution is to simply clear your download history.

• At the top of the Firefox window On the menu bar, click the Tools menu, and select Clear Private Data.... The Clear Private Data window will open.
    • In the Clear Private Data window, select Download History and deselect the other items.
    • Click Clear Private Data Now.

Settings that reduce memory usage

Firefox has hidden settings that let you change how it uses memory.
    Memory cache

Firefox caches image and interface data in memory so they can be displayed quickly. You can see how much memory Firefox uses for this purpose.

1. Type about:cache in the Location Bar at the top of the Firefox window and press Enter/Return.
    2. A page listing your Firefox cache information should appear. Under the Memory cache device heading, Maximum storage size refers to the maximum amount of memory Firefox will use for this purpose, and Storage in use refers to the current amount of memory Firefox is using for this purpose.

By default, Firefox will use more memory on computers with more memory installed. You can change the limit for your computer.

Lowering the amount of memory available for caching will increase the amount of time Firefox takes to display web pages and dialogs.

• In the Location bar, type about:config, and press Enter/Return.
      • The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
    • The about:config page should appear. Right-click Hold down the Ctrl key while you click anywhere in the grid and choose New, then Integer.

• In the Enter the preference name prompt, type browser.cache.memory.capacity and press OK.
    • Next, type the maximum number of kilobytes you want Firefox to use for cache and press OK.

If you want to set the preference back to its default value:

• The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
    • Search for the preference browser.cache.memory.capacity.
    • Right-click Hold down the Ctrl key while you click the entry for browser.cache.memory.capacity and press Reset.

Blazingly fast back

Firefox stores pages in memory so they can be displayed quickly when you press Back or Forward. By default, Firefox will use more memory on computers that have more memory installed. You can change the maximum number of pages Firefox will store for this purpose on your computer.

Lowering the number of stored pages will slow down Firefox when you press Back or Forward.

• The about:config page should appear. Search for the preference browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers, and double-click on it.
    • In the browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers prompt, type the maximum number of pages you want Firefox to store and press OK.

• 1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press Enter/Return.
    • 2. Search for the preference browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers.
    • 3. Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click the entry for browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers and press Reset.

Windows:

Behavior on minimize

By default, Firefox will allow Windows to reclaim its memory when Windows needs it for other programs. Firefox can be configured to allow Windows to reclaim its memory immediately.

Allowing Windows to reclaim the memory immediately will make Firefox slower to come up after being minimized.

• 2. The about:config page should appear. Right-click anywhere in the grid and choose New, then Boolean.
    • 3. In the Enter the preference name prompt, type config.trim_on_minimize and press OK.
    • 4. Next, choose True and press OK.

• 2. Search for the preference config.trim_on_minimize.
    • 3. Right-click the entry for config.trim_on_minimize and press Reset.

Restarting Firefox

Firefox's memory usage may increase if it's left open for long periods of time. A workaround for this is to periodically restart Firefox. You can configure Firefox to save your tabs and windows so that when you start it again, you can start where you left off.

SB Champion Lieutenant anurag_devilz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotspicyhot View Post
    Locker (Without any software)

* Copy the following codes (Marked in RED colour):

cls
    @ECHO OFF
    title Folder Locker
    if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
    if NOT EXIST Locker goto MDLOCKER
    :CONFIRM
    echo Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)
    set/p "cho=>"
    if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
    if %cho%==y goto LOCK
    if %cho%==n goto END
    if %cho%==N goto END
    echo Invalid choice.
    goto CONFIRM
    :LOCK
    ren Locker "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    echo Folder locked
    goto End
    :UNLOCK
    echo Enter password to Unlock folder
    set/p "pass=>"
    if NOT %pass%==type your password here goto FAIL
    attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Locker
    echo Folder Unlocked successfully
    goto End
    :FAIL
    echo Invalid password
    goto end
    :MDLOCKER
    md Locker
    echo Locker created successfully
    goto End
    :End

* Now paste it in notepad.
    * Change the "type your password here" with your password (Marked as blue in the above posted matter).
    * Save it as batch file(with extension .bat).Any name will do.
    * Now you see a batch file. Double click it to create a folder locker.
    * A new folder named Locker would be formed at the same location.
    * Now brings all the files you want to hide in the locker folder.
    * Now double click the batch file to lock the folder namely Locker.
    * If you want to unlock your files,double click the batch file again and you would be prompted for password.Enter the password and enjoy access to the folder.

if repost
    this one is very cool.....tfs....repz added

SB Champion Lieutenant anurag_devilz's Avatar

Wanna Mac Look on Windows PC ???????

FlyakiteOSX 3.5 will do it for you
    FlyakiteOSX is a transformation pack. It will transform the look of an ordinary Windows XP+ system to resemble the look of Mac OS X. The installer simply automates the process of replacing critical system files, setting registry tweaks, and installing extras such as cursors, sounds, visual styles, etc. FlyakiteOSX DOES NOT contain any spyware or ad-ware of any kind. All files needed for FlyakiteOSX are stored in the Windows directory in a folder named 'FlyakiteOSX' that is hidden by default. All registry values for FlyakiteOSX are written to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FlyakiteOSX.

First I afraid it will be resource and RAM hungry Skin Software.
    But after I installed it my Win XP runs very smoothly than before .

Just Google It with keyword "FlyakiteOSX" you will find it.
    Or PM/VM me.

Here Some ScreenShots . Very Cool

hey....the theme is cool but i got a prob....ma system wont shutdown.......windows is shutting down message wil appear and then the system wud restart....

Quote Originally Posted by anurag_devilz View Post
    this one is very cool.....tfs....repz added
    ThanQ

Quote Originally Posted by anurag_devilz View Post
    hey....the theme is cool but i got a prob....ma system wont shutdown.......windows is shutting down message wil appear and then the system wud restart....
    Need More details

From
    Saaju06
    SBF

To
    HotSpicyHot
    SBF

Sub: need help

Respected sir,
    I use opera mini 4 on a Sony Ericsson W910i phone, the problems I face are :
    1. I cannot stream videos,
    2. Cant view content that require flashplayer,
    Plz help sir,

Yours faithfully,
    Saaju06

SB Legend Brigadier General VrOoM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saaju06 View Post
    From
    Saaju06
    SBF

To
    HotSpicyHot
    SBF

Respected sir,
    Plz help sir,

Yours faithfully,
    Saaju06

007 Sir

Quote Originally Posted by saaju06 View Post
    From
    Saaju06
    SBF

To
    HotSpicyHot
    SBF

Respected sir,
    Plz help sir,

Yours faithfully,
    Saaju06
    With Opera Mini You cant do this . For Stream Videos use Real Player
    Yaar Opera Mini dont have Even Animated GIF support. You need to Switch to Phone Built-In Browser for Animater GIF. Then how come Flash Support

Anyway I forwarded your query to some Opera Mini Experts .

BTW Latest Opera Mini version is 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by VrOoM_GuY View Post
    007 Sir

With Opera Mini You cant do this . For Stream Videos use Real Player
    Yaar Opera Mini dont have Even Animated GIF support. You need to Switch to Phone Built-In Browser for Animater GIF. Then how come Flash Support

Anyway I forwarded your query to some Opera Mini Experts .

BTW Latest Opera Mini version is 4.1

Aye aye sir

But realplayer for SE?

New Born

really cool man need some good updates....

Arrow How To Boot From A USB Flash Drive

How To Boot From A USB Flash Drive

Introduction

The USB Mass Storage Working Group is preparing a specification on booting USB devices to enable booting from USB within the industry. Boot from USB has become a highly requested feature. Both USB flash drive (UFD) and USB CD-ROM drives are in a position to pave the way of new booting features on USB. Enabling users to boot from UFD and USB CD-ROM requires industry-wide cooperation to ensure good user experiences with these devices.

The most interesting applications for booting from a USB device focus on operating system deployment, system recovery, and system maintenance. Key scenarios, listed below, are explored later in this post:
    • Operating system installation/deployment scenario
    • Floppy disk drive replacement
    • System diagnostics tools
    • Disk duplication/manipulation (for example, partitioning and formatting utilities)

Current versions of Windows should not be installed to USB hard disk drives because Windows does not support USB hard disk drives as the primary boot device. This post introduces the expected industry participation related to the following:

• Key scenarios for booting off a USB storage device
    • Windows requirements on boot devices.
    • Requirements and recommendations for various industry partners
    • BIOS manufactures
    • System builders for home/business PCs.
    • UFD manufacturers (IHVs)

The information in this post is intended for x86 BIOS vendors, IHVs, and OEMs to encourage cooperation in creating USB-boot-enabled products for the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems

For starters this is still a new science and many people have had good luck with at least one of these methods and others have not. Note that flash drives are often also called thumb drives, keychain drives, pendrives, etc.

A FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER IN ADVANCE.

1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip.
    2. The USB flash drive must support booting from it in general.
    3. The flash drive must contain the boot/system files.
    4. The flash drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.
    5. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.
    6. You "may" have to format your floppy disk first in WinXP before you create a bootdisk as XP may "not" like working later on with a disk formatted otherwise.
    7. Included below is a bootable ISO of DOS 7.1 which may be used with some of these methods if you do not have a 1.44 drive.

METHODS

Method 1 - Make your flash drive bootable using Bart's mkbt util:

Put a bootable floppy disk in your A: drive or create one using Windows.
    Download mkbt20.zip (search google) and unpack to to new temp folder you create.
    Go to the temp folder.
    Extract the bootsector from the bootable floppy disk. eg Open a DOS Window and go to the directory where you extracted MKBT. Type:

mkbt -c a: bootsect.bin

The boot sectors from the bootable floppy disk have just been saved to a file in the temp folder you created.

Format the flash drive in FAT or FAT16.

Copy the bootsector to the flash drive. Open a DOS Window and go to the folder where you extracted MKBT. Type:

mkbt -x bootsect.bin Z:

"Z" represents the flash drive drive Letter. So if your flash drive has another drive letter, then change the "Z" accordingly.

Now you can [grin] "should" be able to copy the utils ( Recovery and Anti-Virus Softwares ) you need to the pen drive.

Method 2 - Try these 2 HP/Compaq USB Flash Drive Utilities. They work with many other brands of flash drives as well.

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Version 2.0.6

HP Drive Key Boot Utility Version 7.41
    (search google)

Method 3

Here is my another method for creating dos bootable USB sticks using windows format.

1. From Win98 DOS-Prompt type "SYS {USBDriveLetter}:" or "FORMAT {USBDriveLetter} /U /S". If from WinXp then from start->run command.com execute format.exe copied from win95 or win98.

OR

2. Simply by enabling copy system files in windows explorer format window. By default it is disabled for non-floppy drives. To enable it use windows enabler program Enabler (search google) an whoila it works.

Method 5

First if you don't have a physical floppy drive (and don't want one) you can use the [free] "virtual floppy driver" (search google)

With that you get an A: drive and can manipulate a floppy image as if you were using real floppy. You can then use that image to make a bootable CD. It's not that user friendly but once you get how it works it does work perfectly.

Even cooler you can use a "raw write" utility like dd for windows to write the floppy image directly to your USB thumb drive. Even without that famous HP utility to do the magic this will make your USB thumb drive bootable. The 'dd' ported to Windows (search google)

Another trick you can use with that dd utility involves MS VritualPC (which is free). You can create a virtual machine/virtual hard drive, set it up the way you want then use dd to "raw write" the virtual hard drive image to the thumb drive; this will make the thumb drive identical to the image, including bootable (again, no HP utilities required).

Of course, your thumb drive will effectively have the capacity the size if the image in question (your 1GB flash drive will effectively be 1.44 Megs).

BareBones Boot Floppy And ISO

DOS 7.10 (search google)

FOOT NOTES :

Operating system installation/deployment scenario - Mobile platforms or low-profile desktop systems may ship without embedded floppy disk drives. Having a bootable UFD with an OEM pre-installation environment dramatically simplifies the task of OS installation. This is a valuable scenario for the OEM and for corporate IT administrators or the home consumer seeking to deploy or redeploy an operating system.

System diagnostic tools - IT managers may need to run system utilities on a machine without starting the operating system, or to recover a system with a non-starting operating system. For systems that do not have a bootable floppy/CDROM and lack Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE) bootability, booting off UFDs is both compelling and simple. IT managers can also carry their system diagnostic tools on a 512 MB UFD and perform their tests easily. This is a valuable scenario for corporate consumers or the home consumer seeking to recover data from a non-bootable system.

Disk duplication/manipulation/verification
    - Disk partitioning and formatting utilities need to run before operating system startup or from another operating system. It is possible to boot off a UFD that also contains partitioning utilities or other diagnostic utilities. It is also possible to include a virus checker on a read-only UFD for disk verification purposes. This is a valuable scenario for the OEM and for corporate consumers or the home consumer seeking to configure or reinstall the operating system for deployment or recovery.

Windows Requirements for Boot Devices

The best thing about adding another bootable bus to Windows is that manufacturers can take advantage of much of the existing Windows boot process. As long as a new device looks and behaves like existing devices while NT Loader loads the system, new devices can be made to work like old devices. The goal for booting Windows from a USB device is to use as much of the existing Windows boot process with as little change as possible.

This post focuses solely on booting from hard disk drives and CD-ROM drives for recovery and deployment purposes. Windows as it exists today is currently not optimized to run as an installed operating system from USB attached mass-storage or CD.

The USB Mass Storage support consists of storage protocols over USB that enable USB hard disk drives and USB CD-ROM drives. All storage devices that are to be boot devices for Windows should behave like one of those two categories to take advantage of the existing boot process. DVD-ROM drives fit into the category of CD-ROM drives for the purpose of this document.

BIOS must support INT 13h During the boot process, Windows assumes that support for communicating with the boot device, either hard disk drive or CD-ROM drive, is present in INT 13h when Windows loads because the NT Loader uses calls to INT 13h to access the disk. INT 13h support must comply with the "BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive Services - 2" specification and the "USB Mass Storage Specification for Bootability," The newer specification is considered the authority if the two specifications contradict each other.

Accurate drive numbering by BIOS Windows also requires that the assignment of drive numbers follows "Compaq Phoenix Intel BIOS Boot Specification version 1.01." Hard disk drives should begin numbering at 80h and CD-ROM drives should begin numbering at 82h, as in the past.

In this post, the remainder of the requirements, along with recommendations for component manufacturers, has been organized by the different components that play a part in booting.

Arrow Divide and Rule Your Hard Drive

Divide and Rule
    Your Hard Drive

Out of the box, PC hard drives are designed to act like giant byte buckets where your operating system, program files, documents and other data are all thrown together. Computers often go through their entire life content with this arrangement but it's not always the smartest way to organise things.

A better plan involves dividing the space on your hard drive into more separate partitions. As far as the user is concerned, disk partitions appear to be separate drives, even though they live on the same physical disk. There are two practical reasons for partitioning a drive: If it's done properly you'll get improved performance and increased data security.

On my desktop machine, I've installed Windows and applications on the D drive and created a partition called E drive, where I keep all my documents and other data. This way, if there's a software meltdown, reinstalling the operating system and programs is relatively fast and uncomplicated. Best of all, when the system is fixed, all my data is safely sitting exactly where it was before the trouble started.

Some people take this idea further and install their applications in a third partition and the Windows virtual memory in a fourth partition. Once a disk is partitioned, you may see better performance. Operating systems keep tabs of all the files stored on a hard drive; as the list of files grows, it takes longer to find a particular file. Breaking up your disk into smaller segments means this list works more efficiently, speeding disk activity. You should also find maintenance tasks, such as scanning or defragging drives, are faster when you've divided your disk into partitions.

Partitioning a disk is not for the faint-hearted, though. In fact, it's quite possibly the scariest thing you'll ever do with your computer. You really need to make careful back-ups before starting.

If the task looks too hard, you can bail out or find a seriously geeky friend to hold your hand. But trust me, it can be well worth the effort.

Organize Disk Drive Partition

What Is Disk Partitioning?

Partitioning creates a logical file structures on your hard disk so as to divide various potions of a hard disk to be used for different purposes such as a dual operating systems, storage or organizational purposes.

Why Partition Your Disk?

Partitioning your hard disk helps to categorize your files into logical groupings so that you can search for files and make changes more effectively. Folders are made for the same reason too. But partitioning provides better security.

Security

Most default primary partition is the C drive. This is the drive which your operating system and most other software applications are installed in. A useful way of protecting your data is to store your personal information into a separate disk partition. For example, if you are using a 80GB hard disk, you might want to partition it into two drives - drive C & drive D. Drive C will contain your operating system files and software applications such as your Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Antivirus, Photoshop etc. While drive D can be configured as a storage drive to store all your document files, JPEG, MP3 and other personal data.

It is understood that your most important files are those that are difficult or virtually impossible to replace. For example, if Microsoft Word would to crash, you can always reinstall the application to make it work again. However, if your document files are corrupted by a virus or worm you may need to spend money and precious time trying to recover your data. In some case, you may not be able to recover them if the damage is too severe. Statistics have shown that most viruses and worms are more likely to infect executable and system files compared to your MP3 or excel spreadsheets. Therefore, if one partition corrupts, only that partition suffers and hopefully not the whole drive.

Convenience

Another reason for storing your document files in a separate drive is the ease of manageability. Say in a scenario which your computer needs to be reformatted due to severe corruption, you can easily reformat drive C and be assured that all your documents in drive D remains intact. This will save you quite a bit of time trying to backup your documents, then restoring them back in your local drive after your computer is reformatted and working. In this way, should you decide to refresh your operating system or application, the stored data is not affected.

Dual Operating System

You may wish to install more than one operating system into your computer. For example you need to a Windows and Linux operating system. But both are unable to be installed in the same partition. By partitioning the disk, you separate two logical spaces to include each individual OS.

Evaluating Your Needs

Before you start, ask yourself the following questions to help you determine the kind of partitions to create:

1. Do you work more on documents than on software?

2. Does your job require you to install multiple software applications?

3. Does the size of your software exceed that of your documents?

The point here to is to study the ratio space to allocate for each partition. The choice of how you partition your disk is important because it affects both disk performance and efficiency. If you are a designer or sound engineer given a computer with 80GB of disk space, you probably would want to assign 25GB of capacity to your primary disk and 55GB to a secondary drive to contain all your media files. You can always adjust this ratio according to your needs. On the other hand, if you are a software tester or a hardcore gamer you would probably choose to assign 50GB to your primary disk and 30GB to the secondary drive for storage. Again, there is no fixed rule or a standard template and much is directly dependent on your needs and how you operate.

Understanding Partitions

The master boot record is the first record that resides in your hard disk. It is located at the first sector of the disk and the first program that runs each time you power up your computer. The master boot record contains 2 important structure - the master boot code and the master partition table. Both of which provides instructions and information to how your computer boots up. Due to its structure, a single hard disk is limited to 4 primary partitions. One of it will be assigned as the active partition to contains your operating system. Simply, You can create 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition which can be subdivided into multiple logical partitions.

For example, you may want to spilt your 80GB disk as follows:
    • 40GB primary partition for your OS and software applications
    • 10GB for MP3 files
    • 15GB for Document files
    • 5GB for Miscellaneous files
    • 10GB for Archival files

So firstly, you create a 40GB primary partition. This will occupy the first of the 4 partitions. Then you can create a 40GB extended partition. And within the extended partition, you create 4 logical partition - 10GB, 15GB, 5GB & 10GB. So the result of this will be a C drive (40GB), D drive (10GB), E drive (15GB), F drive (5GB) and a H drive (10GB ).

Arrow

Lock Your Drives and Folders Using Registry Tweaks

There are plenty of software which locks drives and folder to protect your confidential data. Why waste money on such tools when you can do it with a simple registry tweak? Here's How:

Caution: Before you attempt these tweaks, please make sure that you have a backup of your registry, just incase something goes wrong in the middle.

Locking Folders:
    • Consider you want to lock a folder named XXXX in your E:\, whose path is E:\XXXX.
    • Now open the Notepad and type the following

Code:
    ren xxxx xxxx.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
    • Where xxxx is your folder name. Save the text file as loc.bat in the same drive.
    • Open another new notepad text file and type the following

Code:
    ren xxxx.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} xxxx
    • Save the text file as key.bat in the same drive.

Steps to lock the folder:

• To lock the xxxx folder, simply click the loc.bat and it will transform into control panel icon which is inaccessible.
    • To unlock the folder click the key.bat file. Thus the folder will be unlocked and the contents are accessible.

Locking Drives:

We donít usually prefer to lock our drives, but sometimes it becomes nesscary. Say for instance you might have stored your office documents in D:\ and you donít want your kids to access it, in such case this technique can be useful for you. Please donít try this tweak with your root drive (usually C:\ is the root drive) since root drives are not intended to be locked because they are mandatory for the system and application programs.
    • Start & Run and type Regedit to open Registry Editor
    • Browse HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • Create a new DWORD value NoViewOnDrive and set its value as

2^ (Alpha Number of Drive Letter-1) where Alpha number are simple counting of alphabets from A to Z as 1 - 26

For example: to lock C:\, Alpha number of C is 3 so 2^ (3-1) = 4 (decimal value)
    • To lock more drives, calculate the value of each drive and then set sum of those numbers as value
    • To unlock your drive just delete the key from the registry.

Hiding Drives

You can hide any of drive(s) by just adding two keys in windows registry

goto start>run

Type regedit and press enter. This will bring you to the registry editor.To hide any drive you have to follow these steps

Hidding Drive

goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer now create a new DWORD value NoDrives and set its value as

2^(Alpha Number of Drive Letter-1)
    where Alpha number are simple counting of alphabets from A to Z as 1 - 26

for example: to hide C drive
    Alpha number of C is 3 so 2^(3-1) = 4 (decimal value)

If you want to hide more than one drive than calculate the value of each drive as explained and then set sum of those numbers as value.