Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: My Weekly Tech Journal

SB Legend Major General hotspicyhot's Avatar

Thumbs up Firefox 3.1 Restricts, Matches, Keywords

Awesome Smart Location Bar Is Just Awesome

In the upcoming Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (expected Feb 18) , there’s some new ways to change what shows up in the Smart Location Bar such as restricting results to show only your history (and not your unvisited bookmarks) or matching only in the URL instead of also in the title. Additionally, you can see your Smart Keywords queries show up in the drop down.

For Beta 3, you can restrict the search to your history by typing “^”, or bookmarks with “*”, or tagged pages with “+”. To make what you’ve typed match only in the URL type “@”, and for title/tags only use “#”.

You can first start typing something you want to find like “santabanta”...

All results that match "santabanta"

Then realize that there’s too many results and you know it’s a page that you’ve tagged, so you restrict the results with “+”...

Restricting "general discussion" to tagged pages

Then continue narrowing the results by typing more words..

Quickly finding pages out of thousands

If you prefer the results to always restrict to history and match only in the URL, you can go to about:config and change the corresponding preferences to nothing (edit the value and delete the special character). This way you can always be only searching your visited history and not worry about matching in the title. If you’ve installed Hide Unvisited add-on, you can uninstall it and just change browser.urlbar.restrict.history to “” (nothing).

Preferences to change default restrict/match behavior

As with the Hide Unvisited add-on, restricting to history will only show pages that you have visited and are stored in your history. This means if you visit a bookmark, it will still show up even when restricting to history. However, you can select the entry from the location bar and hit Delete, or delete pages from the History Panel, or just Clear History to make them disappear.

If you don’t like the standard characters to enable restrict/match, you can modify the values from about:config to be whatever you want. They can be single characters, whole words, even words in other languages.

One last thing about Keywords is that you can now see what you’re going to search with a Smart Keyword Bookmark. You can even assign multiple bookmarks the same keyword so one can be the default Wikipedia search and another can use I’m Feeling Lucky [google]. You can uninstall Show Keywords [addon] If you’re using that for Firefox 3.

Choose from multiple Smart Keyword Searches
    The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only moment you reject all help are you free.

Arrow VBScript to Replace Underscores in Filename with Spaces for All Files in a Folder

VBScript to Replace Underscores in Filename with Spaces for All Files in a Folder

Sometimes I wanted to remove underscores in file name and replace it with space. For example I would like to see the filename as 'A R Rahman - One Love - Pranayam Onnu.mp3' instead of 'A_R_Rahman_-_One_Love_-_Pranayam_Onnu.mp3'. I often have this kind of files when I download mp3s on the internet. I know this maybe so simple because you can just select the file in Windows Explorer, Press F2 and manually rename the file. But for a collections of files in a folder, this may be a boring repetitive tedious task that I'll hate to do .

Here is Visual Basic Script to automatically do the task with only one simple command.

Code:
    Dim sName
    Dim fso
    Dim fol

Set fso = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set fol = fso.GetFolder(".")

For Each fil In fol.Files

If InStr(1, fil.Name, "_") <> 0 Then

sName = Replace(fil.Name, "_", " ")

fil.Name = sName
        End If
    Next

WScript.Echo "Completed!"
    To use the script, you just need to copy this scripts to a text file and then name the textfile with 'rmus.vbs' or any other name you like with '.vbs' extension which is for vbscript.

There is lots of ways to use the script. One of them is, copy the .vbs file to the folder you want the task to be done and then double click the .vbs file in that folder. When the script is done, It will prompt you with a message box which says 'Completed!'.

Some Files have "-" ( dash )

If You want it to remove both "_" and "-" with a space ?

Just Replace "_" with "-" in the code
    The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only moment you reject all help are you free.

ђαρρу-gσ-ℓυ¢ку Brigadier General roo's Avatar

gonna try this out now!!

nice updates

u rock balaji

+++

ѕαмηє нαι Jσ υѕєу ℓσg вυяα кєнтє нαιη☆Jιѕкσ ∂єкнα внι ηαнιη υѕкσ кнυ∂α кєнтє нαιη

SB King Field Marshal

superb updates
    reppz added

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel thegr8rocky's Avatar

Great Ups Bro..............
    Problems can become opportunities when the right people come together

Thumbs up Photobucket Uploader - FireFox Add-On

Photobucket Uploader - FireFox Add-On

Uploading Photos into your album couldn't be Easier Like This ...

If you are a Photobucket user and use Firefox, you are in Luck . Because there is a Firefox add-on to upload images directly to Photobucket while browsing any web page. (This add-on is not endorsed by Photobucket though.)

To upload any image to Photobucket using Firefox, follow these steps:
    • Download and Install this Photobucket Uploader Firefox add-on. [ Just Google For "Photobucket Uploader Firefox add on" ]
    • Restart Firefox browser.
    • For the first use, you will have to login to your Photobucket Account.
    • After that, all you have to do is to right-click any image while browsing and select 'Upload To Photobucket'.

Once you've uploaded, you'll get an opportunity to instantly go to check it out on Photobucket:

Some usage notes

• When you first install the plug-in, you'll be asked to log into the Photobucket account you want to use with the plug-in.
    • Naturally any photo that you upload must comply with Photobucket's Terms of Service.

EDIT :

Developer Comments

As of now, the Photobucket API does not support uploading images from a secure URL (https ://).

Also, sometimes you may upload an image, check your account and see a blank image. This is because some websites overlay transparent images on top of their actual images to prevent the user from saving them. The YouTube logo on youtube.com is a perfect example.

Finally, this extension is only capable of saving images that are embedded on the page with an IMG tag. CSS background images will not work.

"Image Source" Tagging - For those of us who can't remember for the life of us where we uploaded these images from, there will now automatically be a tag added to each image called "Image Source". The tag won't appear on the image itself because it is set to a size of 0. The tag link will contain the URL of the page being viewed, if it's a valid URL.

Code Re-Factoring - Some users reported not being able to install the extension at all. This was caused by global namespace collisions. This should no longer be an issue.
    Last edited by hotspicyhot; 18-02-2009 at 03:33 AM.

Thumbs up Speed Up Your Torrents

Speed Up Your Torrents

Help! BitTorrent is slow… This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions I get about BitTorrent. Unfortunately there’s not some kind of magic trick that makes your torrents go through the roof. But you could take some simple steps to optimize your speeds .

1. Cap Your Upload (Most Important)

Limit your upload speed to approximately 80 percent of your maximum upload rate. You can check your upload speed over any speed test site (never trust your ISP ). Once you know your maximum upload speed, change the max upload (to 80%) speed in your torrent client’s preferences.

Don’t get me wrong, Everyone should share as much as possible, But if your upload rate reached it’s max, your download rate suffers significantly.

2. Hack the Max TCP connections

If you’re on XP SP2, Your TCP connections are limited to a maximum of 10. This seriously hurts your downloading speed because it wont let you connect to a high amount of IP numbers. It is supposed to slow down viruses because their spreading strategy is to connect to a high amount of IP numbers, but it also cripples your torrent downloads. A nice way to fix this is to download TCP Optimizer Free Tool , It allows you to set the maximum allowed connections to any number you want. Any number between 50 and 100 is ok.

3. Check Seeds and Peers

A simple tip, but so important. Always look for torrents with the best seed/peer ratio. The more seeds (compared to peers) the better (in general). So 50 seeds and 50 peers is better than 500 seeds and 1000 peers. So, be selective .

4. Change The Default Port.

By default, BitTorrent uses a port 6881-6999. BitTorrent accounts for a lot of the total internet traffic (1/3), so ISP’s like to limit the connection offered on the these ports. So, you should change these to another range. Good clients allow you to do this, just choose anything you like. If you’re behind a router, make sure you have the ports forwarded or UPnP enabled.

5. Disable Windows Firewall

It su.cks. Windows Firewall hates P2P and often leads a life of it’s own . So disable it and get yourself a decent firewall, COMODO or Zone Alarm for example.

Last But Not Least… Buy a Faster Connection

Arrow Add "Open with Notepad" to the Context Menu for All Files

Add "Open with Notepad" to the Context Menu for All Files

The default method of opening unknown files forces you to go through a list of known applications and is generally a pain to deal with. That's why I like to have a context menu option for "Open with Notepad" so that I can quickly open up files without having to go through a lot of trouble.

This registry hack is nothing new, it's been around forever… think of this as a refresher course. Also note that you can use this same technique to substitute any other application that you'd like by adjusting the path in the registry to point to the different editor.

Manual Registry Hack

Open regedit.exe through the start menu search or run box, and then browse down to the following key:

Code:
        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

Right-click on "shell" and choose to create a new key, calling it "Open with Notepad". Create a new key below that one called "command". Double-click on the (Default) value in the right-hand pane and enter in the following:

Code:
        notepad.exe %1
    The change should take effect immediately… just right-click on any file and you'll see the next menu entry.

Talking SBF Tech Tech Tech

SBF Tech Tech Tech

This Concept was inspired by BondX's Tick ... Mr.Tech was very bored of posting funny stuffs So he decided to Post some Serious Things So Here We Go

March 2 : FireFox 3.1 Beta 3 release delayed again due to 8 P1 blockers. Hope They will release it before we die

Mobile Firefox (fennec) Beta1 release in February

BTW : Mr.Tech surfing in Incognito Mode in Google Chrome

Microsoft set a Time Bomb on their Windows 7 Beta . That will blast on 1st Aug 2009

Meanwhile Windows 7 needs 1400 serious bugs to be fixed.

Mozilla Quality Assurance Team will get RC of FireFox 3.1 Beta 3 on March 7.

Some FireFox die hard fans wants FireFox 3.1 to name it Firefox 3.5 just as Firefox 1.1 was renamed Firefox 1.5 for its prolonged schedule and expanded scope.

HsH Update : Mr.Tech was called by Mrs.Tech . She gave some works to Tech in the Kitchen

TIP OF THE DAY

You can enjoy the Blazing Speed of unreleased Firefox 3.2 nightly build by installing into a seperate directory. I Strongly Recommend create a new profile by launching "firefox -P" in a command line. This way you can abuse your testing profile as much as you want without affecting your primary profile. You can get Firefox 3.2 alpha aka Minefield in Mozilla site

█●тнє ρяιη¢є σƒ вєηgαℓ●█ Lieutenant-Colonel Sujoy's Avatar

Repp is must...

Talking ABC Meme for Firefox 3.x users

ABC Meme for Firefox 3.x users

Instructions:

• Without opening any other tabs, pop open your Error Console ( In the Tools menu Shortcut : CTRL+SHIFT+J ) and enter the following into the “Code:” field:

Code:
          C=Components;d=C.classes['@mozilla.org/browser/nav-history-service;1'].getService(C.interfaces.nsPIPlacesDatabase).DBConnection;for(o=[],c=97;c<123;c++){h=String.fromCharCode(c);q=d.createStatement('SELECT title t, url u FROM moz_inputhistory JOIN moz_places ON id=place_id WHERE input LIKE \''+h+'%\' ORDER BY use_count DESC LIMIT 1');if(q.step())o.push(['',h,': ',q.row.t,''].join(''))}open('data:text/html,'+o.join('
          \n'))
    • Click “Evaluate”. A new tab will open showing you the top Awesome Bar results for each letter of the alphabet.

My results:

a: YouTube - Alicia Keys & Jack White - Another Way To Die [Official Video]
    b: Bugzilla Mozilla
    c: ComingSoon - Movie Trailers
    d: Perf Dashboard v2.0
    e: Eva Green Home Page
    f: Facebook
    g: Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    h: Twitter
    i: Ignoramusenator - View Profile
    j: John Barry
    k: Censored
    l: Linkin Park
    m: Mozilla Library Wiki
    n: Nothing Sinister
    o: Tinderbox - MozillaWiki
    p: Planet Mozilla
    q: Quote Browser
    r: Releases - MozillaWiki
    s: Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings - MozillaWiki
    t: TreeStatus
    u: Usenet
    v: ValleyWag
    w: Tamil Nadu , India - Forecast
    x: Xbox Home Page
    y: YouTube - Somebody Wants To Kill You
    z: 9down

Quote Originally Posted by mamu.zi View Post
    this is the onli thread i've subscribed to,

keep adding balaji..
    Quote Originally Posted by VrOoM View Post
    nice one hshsh
    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    wowo

super post chellam

very useful for me
    Quote Originally Posted by roo View Post
    I am gonna try this out tonight

great info

one of the best thread in SBF!!
    updates bro..
    repz +++ already..
    got to try this

+++

good work bond.. keep helping us..
    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramusenator View Post
    good work bond.. keep helping us..

Quote Originally Posted by ! K ! View Post
    good work buddy
    gonna try this out now!!

nice updates

u rock balaji

+++

Quote Originally Posted by ! K ! View Post
    superb updates
    reppz added
    Quote Originally Posted by thegr8rocky View Post
    Great Ups Bro..............
    Quote Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
    Repp is must...

ђαρρу-gσ-ℓυ¢ку Brigadier General roo's Avatar

nice useful tips

+++

keep increasing our knowledge Balaji

you are doing a great job

ѕαмηє нαι Jσ υѕєу ℓσg вυяα кєнтє нαιη☆Jιѕкσ ∂єкнα внι ηαнιη υѕкσ кнυ∂α кєнтє нαιη

Arrow FireFox Addons For Annoyance-Free Browsing

FireFox Addons For Annoyance-Free & Easy Browsing

Firefox is a great browser, even in its unmodified, fresh-from-the-install form. If you're installing it for someone else and are trying to provide the most irritation-free experience you can, you might want to install a few of these addons.

DownThemAll - Downloading a gigantic file only to have it fail at 75% is a huge pain . Yes, Firefox's built-in downlad manager has the ability to resume transfers, but I've had much better luck with DTA.

Flashblock - Flash is great, but some sites just take it a little too far. I don't always want to hear the fan on my PC whine when I'm surfing, and Flashblock gives me an easy way to smack down power-hungry Flash content.

Greasemonkey - I didn't bother with Greasemonkey for the longest time, but now it's one of the first addons I install. Userscripts Org has so many scripts that fix bothersome little things on so many websites. You'll likely find enhancements and tweaks for many of your favorite sites there, and you'll need Greasemonkey to run them.

NoScript - Not only is Javascript sometimes an annoyance, but on untrusted sites it's a potential security risk. NoScript even helps protect you from nasty clickjacking attacks.

Session Manager - Firefox does a decent job restoring your tabs after an "unexpected close," but Session Manager is even better. It saves tabs, history, form and post data, and you can encrypt your session folder contents if you like.

TextAreaCache - This addon is what prompted me to put this list together. I kept hearing my friend yell at her FF install for going back one page and dumping all the text she'd typed in. TextAreaCache monitors input and tucks it away for safe keeping, and puts it back when you return to the page. If it can't do the auto thing, just click the status bar icon to bring up your Cache for easy copy and pasting.

ScreenGrab [ ScrnGrab ] - It will capture what you can see in the window, the entire page, just a selection, a particular frame... basically it saves webpages as images - either to a file, or to the clipboard.

ImgLikeOpera - ImgLikeOpera allows load only the images that you want in Firefox browser. This extension is very useful for non broadband users. My Fav

Clippings 3.0 - Saves and manages frequently-entered text for later pasting into Web page forms in Firefox or email and newsgroup messages in Thunderbird. Pasting a clipping is accomplished with just two mouse clicks, eliminating the hassle of retyping or repetitive copying and pasting.

Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer - Foxmarks is the essential bookmarking add-on. Install Foxmarks on each computer you use, and it works silently in the background to keep your bookmarks and (optionally) passwords backed up and synchronized. If you're away from your computer, Foxmarks allows you to access your bookmarks online by logging into foxmarks.com. Foxmarks' Suggested Tag feature helps you stay organized by recommending relevant tags as you add bookmarks in Firefox 3.

Video DownloadHelper -The easy way to download and convert Web videos from hundreds of YouTube-like sites. This works also for audio and picture galleries.

meebo addon- Instant messaging across all major IM networks built right into Firefox. Get a sidebar with all of your buddies visible while you're browsing. Get visual notifications when your friends IM you. Drag and drop links and images from web pages right onto your friends!

FlashGot - Download all the links, movies and audio clips of a page at the maximum speed with a single click, using the most popular, lightweight and reliable external download managers.

FaviconizeTab - This extension adds a new "FaviconizeTab" option to the context menu of the tab.When it is clicked, The width of the tab becomes small up to the size of favicon.
    It returns to the former size when "FaviconizeTab" is clicked again.

FoxClocks - FoxClocks lets you keep an eye on the time around the world - or just your local time - by putting small clocks in your statusbar. Choose from a set of useful time formats or create your own - custom formats are easy to create and very flexible.

What about You? How do You minimize browsing annoyances with Firefox? Temme in Your Reply

Mr.Tech Updates

Much Awaited Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 now available for download

Firefox 3.0.7 released on 10th March '09

Shiretoko to be named Firefox 3.5 not 3.1 , As I am said in previous post, Firefox 3.1 become Firefox 3.5

“Minefield” builds to named Firefox 3.6

Mike Beltzner said Releasing FireFox 3.1 Beta 3 is like Code Rush 2

In the Middle of March Hack against FireFox Rivals Event is Scheduled

It is hoped that Internet Explorer will First Loser in this Event

HSH Tip of The Day :

Do You know Pidgin (formerly named Gaim) is a multi-platform instant messaging client. The software has support for many commonly used instant messaging protocols, allowing the user to log into various different services from one application. And It supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and much more chat networks.