Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugby:::::The American footBall:::::The Real Game for MEN............

▐║Mirchirific Moderator║▌ Brigadier General mirchi.foreever's Avatar

Default Rugby:::::The American footBall:::::The Real Game for MEN............

THIS IS RUGBY

Length of Game

An International game of rugby is two 40 minutes halves with a five minute on-field half-time break.

The Players

There are 15 players per team - 8 are forwards and 7 are backs.

The Officials

There is one referee in charge of the game. There are two linesmen (touch judges) who help by indicating when the ball is "in touch" (off the field of play).

Features of the Game

1. Kick-offs - These occur at the beginning of the game; to start the second half; and after each score.

Note: After a score the team score on kicks off.

2. Scrummage (scrum) - The forwards from the 2 team bind together after a minor infringement, leaving a tunnel between the two "Packs" of forwards. The ball is put into the scrum between the opposing "Front Rows". Using feet only, the ball is moved backwards through the "Pack" and is then picked up and passed to the backs.

3. Passing - All Rugby passes must be to the side or backwards. They can never be forward (as in football).

4. Tackle - Only a player carrying the ball can be tackled. There is no blocking allowed (interference). A tackle must not be high (around or above shoulders) or dangerous (roll blocks etc.). To be tackled a player must be brought to the ground and held there.

5. Options of tackled players:

a) A player can try to stay on his feet and wait for his players to arrive and help get the ball moving. This is called a "Maul".

b) If brought to the ground a player must release the ball. He can do this by quickly passing the ball, or by placing it on the ground behind him. The hope is that his team will be able to push the other team off the ball. This is called a "Ruck".

6. Line out - When the ball goes out of bound over the side line (in touch) the game restart with a line-out.

Both the sets of forwards line up at right angles to the touch line and the ball is thrown between the 2 lines of players.

7. Touch down - No, this is not football! A touch down occurs when a player touches down the ball in his own in-goal area.

The game then restarts by either:

a) A drop kick from the defending team 22 metre line (if the opposition took the ball into the in-goal area).

b) A 5 metre scrummage awarded to the attacking team (if the defending team took the ball into its own in-goal area).

Object of the Game

To out score the opposition by compiling points scored by:

1. A try (5 points) - The ball must be touched down on the ground on or beyond the opposition's goal line.

2. A convert (2 points) - A kick taken after a try is scored. The kick must be taken anywhere on a line straight back from when the try was scored.

3. A penalty goal (3 points) - A kick taken for an infringement of the rules (laws). Like all goals, including converts, the ball must go over the crossbar and between the posts.

4. A drop goal (3 points) - A half-volley kick taken during play.

ENjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!the Game
    ADD REPZZ AND REPLY for my Motivation

I am a different person- compared to- who I was this time the last year...

New Born

First warning... do not swear at other members.
    Last edited by :)Samir(:; 14-10-2007 at 02:51 PM.

A comparison of American football and rugby league can be made due to their shared origins, resulting in similarities and shared concepts in terms of scoring and advancing the ball. Of all the world's sports (except Canadian football), rugby league is the sport that American football is most similar to.

sticky for a day mirchi

Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar

NIce info vineet

Make My Day

Players & Positions

On the field of play, both American football and soccer have 11 players per team. Rugby has 15 players with those same players playing both offense and defense. In rugby, each team is numbered the exact same way. The number of each player signifies that player's position. Players numbered one to eight are forwards, typically the larger, stronger players of the team whose main job is to win possession of the ball. They would be the rough equivalent to American football linebackers and linemen. Players numbered nine to 15 are backs, the smaller, faster, and more agile players. Their main role is to exploit possession of the ball won by the forwards. Backs may be equated to running backs, wide receivers, and quarterbacks in American football.

1. Forwards loosehead prop
    2. hooker
    3. tighthead prop
    4. lock
    5. lock
    6. blindside flanker
    7. openside flanker

9. Backs scrumhalf
    10. flyhalf
    11. wing
    12. inside center
    13. outside center
    14. wing
    15. fullback

Starting the Game

Just as in American football, rugby begins with a kickoff to the opponent; in rugby, the kick is made from the 50-meter line at mid-field. Provided that the ball travels 10 meters into the opponents' territory (reaching or crossing the 10-meter line), any players from either team may gain possession of the ball.

Moving the Ball

Unlike American football, rugby has no blocking. Additionally, rugby does not have downs and it is not required to reach 10 yards and stop. Rugby is continuous like basketball or soccer. The person with the ball leads the attack and there are several ways to move the ball. Any player may carry, pass, or kick the ball and play is not stopped and therefore continues when the ball hits the ground or when a player is tackled.

Running: When running the ball, players may continue to run until they are tackled, step out of bounds, or run beyond the goal line. Players run the ball to advance towards the opponents' goal line.

Passing: The ball may be passed to any player. However, it may only be passed laterally or backward, never forward. Players pass the ball to an open teammate to keep it in play and further advance it.

Kicking: Any player may kick the ball at any time. Once the ball is kicked, players of either team, regardless of whether or not the ball hits the ground, may gain possession. Players typically kick the ball forward to advance it past defenders or to gain territory, especially in relief from poor field position (e.g., deep in their own end). Teammates of the kicking player must be behind the kicker, otherwise they are liable to an offsides penalty.

Scoring

There are four ways for a team to score points in rugby:

Try: Five points are awarded to a team for touching the ball down in the other team's in-goal area. This is much like a touchdown in American football, except that in rugby the player who scores must actually touch the ball down with pressure and not just cross the plane of the goal line.

Conversion: Following a try, two points are awarded for a successful kick through the goal posts. The attempt is taken on a line at least 10 meters straight out from the point where the ball was touched down. This is like an extra point in American football.

Penalty Kick: Following a major law violation, the non-offending team team, if in range, has the option to "kick for points." Three points are awarded for a successful penalty kick that goes through the goalposts. The kick must be from the point of the penalty or anywhere on a line straight behind that point. The ball can be played if the kick fails.

Drop Goal: Three points are awarded for a successful drop kick through the goalposts. A drop kick may be taken from anywhere on the field during play. A drop goal is similar to a field goal in football; however, in rugby the kick is made during the course of normal play. The ball is alive if the kick fails.

twitter.com/dilmeer Major dilmir's Avatar

Good thread dude!
    DILMEER.

SB ICON Major General rikkuartz's Avatar

koooooooool
    Please reload this page to view signature.

>> RaJvEeR << Lieutenant-Colonel nightmare_harry583's Avatar

Gud Thread Man..........
    Tђモ MΘĐΞЯ@t◎Я

Singh Is In The House u Better Watch Yourself

add some repzz and reply guys..............