Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ||~~Science ~ Technology, Space, Health, Gadgets ~ News and Information~~||

||||--MAN OF STEEL--|||| Colonel BADINDIAN's Avatar
    Next to that thing...near that thing right after that thing....
    Last edited by BADINDIAN; 09-02-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: HOT NEWS - INDEX UPDATED
    I Don't Exactly Hate you!
    However, if you were on fire, and I had water,
    I'd drink it!

Sir. Issac Newton was wrong in his understanding of space, gravity and time?

Isaac Newton wrote down his theory of gravity in 1689, and his equations are used to this day to send space probes to the outer edges of our Solar System.

So what could possibly be wrong with our understanding of it?
    There are problems with Newton's theory, however. It doesn't quite describe the orbit of Mercury, the closest planet to the Sun, and as Newton knew very well it has nothing to say about what the force of gravity actually is.
    It took over 200 years and the genius of Albert Einstein to discover a deeper theory.
    Einstein's General Theory of Relativity describes the force we see as gravity as being due to the bending and curving of space and time (or to be more accurate "space-time") by heavy objects like the Earth and Sun.
    Last edited by BADINDIAN; 31-01-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    I'd drink it!

Broken theory

They are a travelling, stretching and squashing of space and time! If they exist, they will be passing through you right now as you read this, speeding up and slowing down your watch and stretching and squashing your head, fortunately by an amount less than the size of a sub-atomic particle.
    Einstein's laws must break down in the hearts of black holes

So you don't feel them, but, remarkably, Ligo may see their effects. The observation of gravitational waves would be another remarkable triumph for Einstein, but even that will not satisfy physicists like myself.

This is because we know that there are places in the Universe where Einstein must fail. In the heart of black holes, giant suns collapsed to a single infinitely dense point, Einstein breaks down.
    And even more crucially, back at the beginning of time, the Big Bang itself, Einstein's picture of space and time is no longer adequate. We physicists are therefore faced with a deep problem.
    If we want to truly understand how, and maybe even why, the Universe began, then we must know what space and time looked like right back at the beginning.
    Such a theory, if it exists, would be what is known as a quantum theory of gravity - a theory that supersedes Einstein and works not only in the world of planets, stars and galaxies, but also in the sub-atomic sized world of black holes and the very beginning of the Universe itself.
    I'd drink it!

MySpace opens doors to developers.

MySpace has about 200 million registered users

MySpace will open its doors to software developers allowing them to create games and media-sharing applications for the popular social network.

MySpace will formally launch its "Developer Platform" next Tuesday but is already allowing people to sign up.
    The tools have been developed with Google and will allow programmers to create programs similar to those used by millions on rival site Facebook.
    Facebook opened up its site to outside developers last year.
    It has since had great success, with nearly 15,000 applications written for the site.
    These include photo-sharing and music recommendation tools as well as games such as scrabble.
    However, despite its popularity, Facebook still lags behind MySpace in terms of overall users.
    MySpace has around 200 million registered users, compared to 63 million who use Facebook.
    MySpace was bought by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp for $580m in 2005.
    Last October it announced that it would join OpenSocial, Google's platform designed to allow developers to build applications that will work on any website.
    Other networks such as Bebo, LinkedIn and Orkut already use the tools.
    The tools, available from 5 February, will allow developers to build applications that make use of MySpace member profile information and their connections with other users.
    According to the new CTO of MySpace, Amit Kapur, developers will also be able to make money out of their applications.
    "I will be focused on making a platform for developers to monetize and promote their applications," he told Reuters.
    I'd drink it!

Giving umbrellas a hi-tech spin

The Pileus allows 3D navigation through Google Earth

The dullness may soon be taken out of a rainy day as a range of hi-tech new umbrellas - developed by several different companies - begin to hit the market.

One, the brainchild of an American company, can receive local weather forecasts automatically through a built-in radio receiver in the handle, which receives weather data for 150 US locations via a website called Accuweather.com.
    If rain or snow is approaching, a light will illuminate on the base of its
    handle. The light then flashes in proportion to the likelihood of how bad the weather is going to be.
    For example, if there is a one hundred percent chance of rain, it will flash rapidly - and if the possibility is only around ten percent, it will flicker slowly.

Umbrellas with a twist

For a device more than 4,000 years old, umbrellas have changed comparatively little - but it seems that incorporating modern technology is inevitable.

Scientists at Tokyo's Keio University are continuing to work on a prototype umbrella that connects to the web via a wireless connection, and then projects images from the internet onto the underside of the canopy.
    The specs of the Pileus are being continually updated

Known as Pileus, the umbrella allows you to watch videos from online video sites as you walk.

And the entertainment in the rain continues as the brolly allows you to take pictures with a built-in camera, which can then be uploaded onto photo-sharing websites.
    There is also a satellite positioning system incorporated in case viewing the sites mean the user loses their way, with a map of the surroundings projected on the underside of the umbrella.
    And should you prefer to sit down to view your content, design students from Japan and Korea have been working on a range of innovative park benches adapted for this very purpose.
    One is a traditional metal framed bench that includes a device that will hold your umbrella open, so that you can sit peacefully in a park and not worry about getting wet.
    Now, that's an idea that's definitely got you covered.
    Last edited by BADINDIAN; 31-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    I'd drink it!

Severed cables disrupt internet

Internet outages have hit businesses and home use

Internet services have been disrupted in large parts of the Middle East and India following damage to two undersea cables in the Mediterranean.

There was disruption to 70% of the nationwide network in Egypt, and India suffered up to 60% disruption.
    UK firms such as British Airways have told the BBC that call centres have been affected by the outage.
    Industry experts said it could take up to one week to repair the damaged cables and resume full service.
    International telephone calls, which have also been affected, are being rerouted to work around the problem.

'Degraded performance'

Disruption also occurred in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, reported the Associated Press.
    In Dubai, at least two internet service providers (ISPs) were affected.
    An official at the provider, DU, told AP that a fault in a cable between Alexandria, Egypt, and Palermo, Italy, was to blame.
    DU issued a statement to alert customers to "a degradation in internet services and international voice calls for some customers during peak times".
    The company said it was due to "cuts in two international submarine cable systems in the Mediterranean Sea this morning (Wednesday).
    "We are working actively with the submarine cable system operators (FLAG Telecom and SEA-ME-WE 4) to ascertain the reasons for the cables being cut," it said.
    FLAG Telecoms operate the Fiber-Optic Link Around the Globe (FLAG), a 28,000km (17,400 mile) long submarine communications cable.
    SEA-ME-WE 4, or the South East Asia-Middle East-West Europe 4 project, is a submarine cable system linking South East Asia to Europe via the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East.

Repair work

Neither of the cable operators have confirmed the cause or location of the outage but some reports suggest it was caused by a ship's anchor near the port of Alexandria in Egypt.
    One Indian internet service provider, Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL), linked the problems in India to the disruption in Egypt.
    Egypt's Telecommunications Ministry said it would probably take several days for internet services to return to normal following the disruption on Wednesday.
    Emergency teams were trying to find alternative communication routes, including satellites, AP was told.
    The ministry's Rafaat Hindy said: "Despite this being an international cable affecting many Gulf and Arab countries, we are closest to it and so we have a lot of responsibility.
    "We are working as fast as we can."
    I'd drink it!

SB Guru Lieutenant-Colonel thegr8rocky's Avatar

Nice Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thnx For Sharing

Repz Added

Quote Originally Posted by thegr8rocky View Post
    Nice Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thnx For Sharing

Repz Added
    4 liking and adding reppz!
    I'd drink it!

Mercury, As Never Seen Before: MESSENGER visits innermost planet

Mercury's image problem is fading. On Jan. 14, NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft flew within 200 kilometers of the solar system's smallest—and oft-ignored—planet. The craft viewed one crater-pocked hemisphere, half of which had never before been seen close-up. When Mariner 10, the only other craft to visit Mercury, examined the surface 33 years ago, sunlight illuminated a different portion of the planet.

MERCURIAL. A bluish tinge reveals the presence of youthful craters, no more than 500 million years old, on Mercury (top). MESSENGER's global view of Mercury (middle) includes the giant impact crater Caloris (circle). Taken from a distance of 33,000 km, a view of Mercury looking toward the planet's south pole (bottom left) has never been previously seen by a spacecraft. One of the highest and longest cliffs ever seen on the planet is visible in the curving structure running from the top to left edge of the image at bottom right.
    NASA/JHU APL/Carnegie Institution

"Even for the side of Mercury already viewed by Mariner 10, we are seeing the surface with fresh eyes," says MESSENGER principal investigator Sean Solomon of the Carnegie Institution of Washington (D.C.). "The different lighting conditions, superior image quality, and broader color are showing us new features and providing new information on compositional differences."
    Recorded with 11 color filters, the images show that the giant Caloris basin, the largest crater on Mercury and one of the biggest in the entire solar system, has a diameter of about 1,500 km. That's 200 km wider than estimates from Mariner 10, which had glimpsed only the basin's eastern edge. Some craters within Caloris have dark rims that may contain material with a different composition from that in the crater floors, Solomon says.
    Like a dowager's wrinkles, a system of faults scores the planet and may be a sign that Mercury contracted as it cooled over billions of years, he adds.
    Images taken near Mercury's terminator, where day turns into night, provide "a jaw-dropping perspective" of the detailed topography, notes Solomon.
    MESSENGER also recorded spectra of Mercury's surface and thin atmosphere, or exosphere. A preliminary analysis confirms sodium in the exosphere, which was known from Earth-based observations.
    Color images from the flyby highlight youthful craters no more than a few hundred million years old. Such craters have a relatively bluish tinge because they haven't suffered long-term bombardment by micrometeoroids-grain-size rubble that vaporizes rock. Some iron-containing rocks resolidify afterward and become coated with material that reflects more red light.
    By combining color images with spectra, scientists can determine which surface features originate from the planet's thin crust and which emerged from the mantle beneath, says Mark Robinson of Arizona State University in Tempe.
    Other measurements show that Mercury's magnetic field has about the same strength as it did when Mariner 10 visited, but that the magnetosphere—the region around the planet dominated by the field—has shrunk, reports Ralph McNutt of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md. The energy of the charged particles in the magnetosphere also differs from that of 33 years ago, which could be a sign that the planet is highly sensitive to small changes in the sun's activity, he adds.
    Shooting laser pulses at the surface, MESSENGER also made the first high-resolution topographic measurements of Mercury.
    The craft will next fly past Mercury in October, viewing the opposite side of the planet. After a third visit in September 2009, MESSENGER will settle into a year-long orbit about the planet beginning in March 2011.
    Last edited by BADINDIAN; 31-01-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    I'd drink it!

Google 'improves' mobile search

Mobile search is more about seeking than browsing

Google spokesman

The new Google mobile search was launched in the US last year

Google has launched a new search service for mobile phones, promising "faster" and "more relevant results".

The facility gathers regular and mobile web results, news, images and local listings, meaning people no longer have to specify a type of search.
    An improved "local search experience" is based on Google's belief that mobile search is more often used to find area information such as cinema listings.
    The service is now available in the UK, France, Germany and Canada.
    It has been available in the US since March last year.

Local view

Google believes mobile services have huge potential and have set up engineering groups in North America and the UK to develop new applications.
    Last year, the firm launched an operating system for mobile phones called Android, which it hopes will challenge existing platforms such as Window's Mobile and Symbian.
    The new search functions are part of that drive.
    People using Google on mobiles previously had to specify a search type in advance, or afterwards choose between different indexes such as local results, images or websites.

The internet search giant now aims to provide the most relevant results from across the range of information sources.

"The big thing that people will notice is that they just get the results they want, without them having to think ahead of time what sort of information they are looking for," a spokesman said.
    "You don't have to click through so many pages on that tiny little screen and on those tiny little buttons."
    He added: "Mobile search is more about seeking than browsing.
    "If you are looking to buy a digital camera then you are not going to do all the research for it on your mobile phone - it's not practical.
    "But if you are looking for a restaurant and you are out and about, it's as easy to access the number and address on your phone as it is to call a directory service."
    The new mobile search will also remember a user's recent search locations, so that subsequent searches for things like weather or restaurants will be geared to that area.
    Google is also experimenting with new features for its online search engine, including offering results in the form of a timeline or map.

I'd drink it!

New Born

Quote Originally Posted by BADINDIAN View Post
    Google 'improves' mobile search

Mobile search is more about seeking than browsing

Google spokesman

The new Google mobile search was launched in the US last year

Google has launched a new search service for mobile phones, promising "faster" and "more relevant results".

The facility gathers regular and mobile web results, news, images and local listings, meaning people no longer have to specify a type of search.
    An improved "local search experience" is based on Google's belief that mobile search is more often used to find area information such as cinema listings.
    The service is now available in the UK, France, Germany and Canada.
    It has been available in the US since March last year.

Local view

Google believes mobile services have huge potential and have set up engineering groups in North America and the UK to develop new applications.
    Last year, the firm launched an operating system for mobile phones called Android, which it hopes will challenge existing platforms such as Window's Mobile and Symbian.
    The new search functions are part of that drive.
    People using Google on mobiles previously had to specify a search type in advance, or afterwards choose between different indexes such as local results, images or websites.

The internet search giant now aims to provide the most relevant results from across the range of information sources.

"The big thing that people will notice is that they just get the results they want, without them having to think ahead of time what sort of information they are looking for," a spokesman said.
    "You don't have to click through so many pages on that tiny little screen and on those tiny little buttons."
    He added: "Mobile search is more about seeking than browsing.
    "If you are looking to buy a digital camera then you are not going to do all the research for it on your mobile phone - it's not practical.
    "But if you are looking for a restaurant and you are out and about, it's as easy to access the number and address on your phone as it is to call a directory service."
    The new mobile search will also remember a user's recent search locations, so that subsequent searches for things like weather or restaurants will be geared to that area.
    Google is also experimenting with new features for its online search engine, including offering results in the form of a timeline or map.

cool share..............................

'Bizarre' new mammal discovered

A new species of mammal has been discovered in the mountains of Tanzania, scientists report.
    The bizarre-looking creature, dubbed Rhynochocyon udzungwensis, is a type of giant elephant shrew, or sengi.
    The cat-sized animal, which is reported in the Journal of Zoology, looks like a cross between a miniature antelope and a small anteater.
    It has a grey face, a long, flexible snout, a bulky, amber body, a jet-black rump and it stands on spindly legs.
    "This is one of the most exciting discoveries of my career," said Galen Rathbun, from the California Academy of Sciences, who helped to confirm the animal was new to science along with an international team of colleagues.

They are so bizarre-looking and a lot of their behavioural ecology is so unique and interesting, you kind of get wrapped up with them

Galen Rathbun

Despite its name, the creature, along with the 15 other known species of elephant shrew, is not actually related to shrews.
    Dr Rathbun told the BBC News website: "Elephant shrews are only found in Africa. They were originally described as shrews because they superficially resembled shrews in Europe and in America."
    In fact, the creature is more closely related to a group of African mammals, which includes elephants, sea cows, aardvarks and hyraxes, having shared a common ancestor with them about 100 million years ago.
    "This is why they are also known as sengis," explained Dr Rathbun.
    The new species was first caught on film in 2005 in Ndundulu Forest in Tanzania's Udzungwa Mountains by a camera trap set by Francesco Rovero, from the Trento Museum of Natural Sciences in Italy.
    Dr Rathbun said: "I got these images, and said to myself: 'Boy, these look strange'. But you can't describe something new based just on photographs, so in March 2006, we went back in and collected some specimens."
    Flashy creatures
    He told the BBC that it quickly became apparent that the creatures were new to science.
    He said: "Elephant shrews are almost all distinguished by distinctive colour patterns, and this is especially true of the forest-dwelling giant sengis.
    The animal uses its long snout for scooping up insects

"They are all quite flashy - one species has a bright golden rump, another checkers along the rump - so when you have a colour pattern that just isn't similar to what is out there, you know it is fairly obvious that you have got something new.
    "And this one, with its grey face and black rump, was pretty different."
    As well as its distinctive colouring, the new species is also larger than other species of giant elephant shrew, weighing 700g (25oz) and measuring about 30cm (12in) in length.
    It uses its long, flexible nose and tongue to flick up insects, such as termites, and it is most active in daylight.
    Dr Rathbun added: "They are behaviourally fairly simple - they are not like a dog or cat you can interact with - but they are so bizarre-looking and a lot of their behavioural ecology is so unique and interesting, you kind of get wrapped up with them."
    The scientists say there is still much to learn about the Rhynochocyon udzungwensis, but they hope further research will help to answer questions about how many of the animals exist, their range and how closely the animals live together.
    Tanzania's Udzungwa Mountains are biodiverse-rich. In addition to this new species, a number of other new animals have been found there, including the Udzungwa partridge, the Phillips' Congo shrew, and a new genus of monkey known as Kipunji as well as several reptiles and amphibians.
    Dr Rathbun said it was vital the area and its inhabitants in this biodiversity "hotspot" were protected.
    I'd drink it!

SB ICON Major General rikkuartz's Avatar

Keep it up dude........!rep error!

Microsoft wants to purchase Yahoo!

Yahoo has been struggling to compete with Google

Microsoft has offered to buy the search engine company Yahoo for $44.6bn (22.4bn) in cash and shares.
    The offer, contained in a letter to Yahoo's board, is 62% above Yahoo's closing share price on Thursday.
    Yahoo cut its revenue forecasts earlier this week and said it would have to spend an additional $300m this year trying to revive the company.
    It has been struggling in recent years to compete with Google, which has also been a competitor to Microsoft.

"We have great respect for Yahoo, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said.

It is a shotgun marriage, but the person holding the shotgun is Google

Tim Weber, business editor, BBC News website

Chairman quit

There has not yet been any comment from Yahoo.
    Its chief executive, Jerry Yang, announced on Tuesday that he intended to lay off 1,000 staff as part of a restructuring plan.
    Terry Semel, who stepped down as chief executive last June, also quit as non-executive chairman on Thursday.
    Microsoft said that Yahoo shareholders could choose to receive either cash or shares.

YAHOO'S FALLING PROFITS
    Oct to Dec 2007 down 23%
    July to Sept 2007 down 5%
    April to June 2007 down 2%
    Jan to March 2007 down 11%

Yahoo shares have fallen 46% since reaching a year-high of $34.08 in October. They rose 54% in pre-market trading.
    "Ultimately this corporate marriage was forced by the rise of Google, which has grown into a serious competitor for both Microsoft as a software company and Yahoo as an internet portal," said Tim Weber, business editor of the BBC News website.
    "It is a shotgun marriage, but the person holding the shotgun is Google."
    According to its letter to Yahoo, Microsoft attempted to enter talks about a deal a year ago, but was rebuffed because Yahoo was confident about the "potential upside" presented by the reorganisation and operational activities that were being put in place at the time.
    "A year has gone by, and the competitive situation has not improved," Microsoft's letter said.
    I'd drink it!

Quote Originally Posted by rikkuartz View Post
    Keep it up dude........!rep error!
    TFR...........!
    I'd drink it!