Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contraceptive methods

Default Contraceptive methods

Hi Mam,

I am getting married this month end, Can you suggest me some contraceptive methods. My wife is doing her graduation and we dont want to have kids for next three years, Plz do reply, plz!

warm regards

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Hi!

Yes, considering that your wife-to-be is still in college, you are taking a very wise decision indeed.

You have several options of birth control.
    You can use the condom or she get a copper wire (Copper T) inserted by a gynecologist or she can go on the birth control pill. These three are the most popular methods of contraception.
    If you want to know more about any of them or all of them, do write in here!

Quote Originally Posted by eMan View Post
    Hi Mam,

I am getting married this month end, Can you suggest me some contraceptive methods. My wife is doing her graduation and we dont want to have kids for next three years, Plz do reply, plz!

warm regards
    Use Condom !!
    I am Freakin' Insecure Neurotically Emotional.

I am FINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    Hi!

Yes, considering that your wife-to-be is still in college, you are taking a very wise decision indeed.

You have several options of birth control.
    You can use the condom or she get a copper wire (Copper T) inserted by a gynecologist or she can go on the birth control pill. These three are the most popular methods of contraception.
    If you want to know more about any of them or all of them, do write in here!

Thank you very much mam , I would like to know more about Copper T and birth control pill about its effectiveness and side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Isotope A10 View Post
    Use Condom !!
    thank you brother for d reply, but oops i dont wanna use one

Default Oral contraceptives in detail

ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES

What are Birth Control Pills?

Oral contraceptives, known as “The Pill”, contain two synthetic female hormones (estrogen and progesterone) which prevent pregnancy by inhibiting the monthly release of the “egg” from the ovaries. These are the same female hormones you normally produce. Oral contraceptives are almost 100% effective when taken correctly. To be absolutely safe, you should use a second form of contraception the first seven days of the first cycle.

Birth control pills do not completely protect a woman from getting sexually transmitted diseases.

How are they available?

Combination Pill : Here the pills contain both the female hormones in various combinations.

Minipill: These contain only progesterone.

There has been tremendous change in the usage of Oral Contraceptives, over a period of time. The newer Oral Contraceptive pills available are extremely safe and highly effective, if taken correctly. The various brand names available in Indian markets are Triquflar, Ovaral –G, Femilon, and Novelon. Your medical practitioner is the ideal person to advise you which one to choose.

All birth control pill cycles are three weeks of active hormone pills (21 tablets) followed by one week of no hormones. Some pills, called “everyday” version have additional 7 pills of a different colour for the 4th week. The fourth week of pills are just “reminder” pills and do not contain hormones. You either take them or just use them for counting. When you get to the fourth week of pills, you should have a menstrual period.

How to take them?

When starting for the first time or changing from other methods of contraception to hormonal method or one brand to another there are a number of ways to start oral contraceptives.

We most commonly start on day of menses, one pill each day, regularly at a particular time of day preferably after dinner or in the morning with your breakfast.

If you forget to take your pills take immediately as soon as you remember.

If you forget to take for more than 12 hours, take immediately or use additional back up method of contraception for another week.

If you forget to take two or more pills, you must use another birth control (back up method) for the remaining days of your cycle.

With packets of 21 pills, you take 1 pill every night for 3 weeks. After 1-week pill free interval, you start the next packet.

For everyday version, after the last week of placebo (do not contain hormones) pills you start immediately with a new packet (no gap).

At times, for a woman, there may be no menstrual bleeding while using birth control pills.

If you miss one menstrual period and have taken the tablets exactly as directed, continue as usual with your next cycle.

If you have not taken them correctly and miss a period you should be evaluated for pregnancy.

If two consecutive menstrual periods are missed you should be evaluated for pregnancy. It is not a health hazard to miss your menstrual period when you are on birth control pills.

Some drugs such as antibiotics, anti-convulsants, anti-tuberculous drugs can interfere in the effectively of birth control pills. Confirm the same with the Health Care Provider. You may need to use an additional form of birth control while you are taking antibiotics.

Side Effects

Occasionally experience side effects, which are usually temporary and may disappear in the first three to four cycles. We encourage you to remain on the pill for at least three cycles so that we can evaluate how you are adjusting. If symptoms persist longer than three months, consult your medical practitioner who may be able to solve the problem by changing the type of pill you are taking.

Some women experience slight nausea, which may be relieved by taking the pill along with a snack just before going to sleep or with a meal.
    Breakthrough bleeding (bleeding in between the menses): If this bleeding is heavier than light flow or lasts more than a few days, you should contact your practitioner.
    Your breasts may enlarge or become somewhat tender.

Complications

If you have special health problems, such as fibrous growths of the uterus, heart or kidney disease, depression, diabetes, thyroid disease, migraine headaches, or epilepsy, you should inform your practitioner of these or any other problems.
    If you have a history of blood clots anywhere in your body, cancer of the breast or uterus, or liver disease, you may not be able to use the pill.

Important:

Most women taking oral contraceptive have few or no problems. But do call your practitioner if you notice any of the following symptoms:

A- abdominal pain (severe)
    C - chest pain (severe), shortness of breath, or coughing up blood
    H- headaches (severe)
    E -eye problems like blurred vision, flashing lights
    S -severe leg pain (calf or thigh)

Benefits:

This includes a reduced incidence of benign ovarian cysts, ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, anaemia, rheumatoid arthritis, and most importantly, endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer.

Most successful means of contraception if used properly. The failure rate is less than 1%.
    It is of great social advantage for working and educated women as withdrawal bleeding is predictable. One can postpone the same safely by taking more pills continually for even one month or so.
    Cures painful menses and the mid cycle ovulation pain.
    Oral contraception decreases the amount of bleeding and can be used in women having heavy and prolonged regular menses.
    Oral contraception protects against ovarian and endometrial cancer. The effect lasts for many years. Benign breast diseases, functional ovarian cyst, fibroid of the uterus are reduced in pill users.
    Oral contraception protects against ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory diseases, anaemia and malnutrition, endometriosis, hirsutism, acne and oily skin.

Default IUDs (Copper T)

INTRAUTERINE CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICES (IUCD)

What is an intrauterine contraceptive device?

An Intrauterine Contraceptive Devices is a device inserted into the uterine cavity and left for varying periods of time for the purpose of contraception. They are usually made up of polypropylene impregnated with barium sulphate, for visualizing them on x-rays. They are many devices of different design. The commonly used devices are "T" shaped with a horizontal and a vertical arm. The vertical arm has a copper wire wrapped around it and two colored threads at the lower end .These nylon threads (tail) which protrudes through the cervix into the ******, allows you to check your IUCD whether in place or not .There are hormone-releasing IUCDs available in the market which are suitable for women with special needs.

The frequently used IUD’s are

* Copper T 200 (Cu T-200)
    Available free through government and municipal hospital based programs The effective life span is a minimum of 3 years. However recent studies show it can be used up to 5 years.
    * Copper T (Gravigard)
    The effective life span is 3 years. (Approved by USFDA)
    * Multi load copper – 250 (ML Cu – 250 ):
    3 years device.
    * Multi load Copper – 375 (ML Cu- 375):
    5 years device.

Now days, one of the most frequently used IUD’s in India. They have relatively less side effects and failure rate. It is available in sterilized pack and can be inserted without prior handling, which is of great advantage.

ML Cu –250 has a recommended life span of 3 years.
    ML Cu 375 has life span of 5 years.

* Cu -T 380A
    * Cu -T 380 Ag
    * Cu -T 380S (slim line)

Cu-T 380 A has a life span of 6 years.
    Cu-T 380 Ag has a life span of 4 years.
    Cu-T 380S has a life span of 2 ½ years.

How does it work?
    The presence of the IUD in the endometrial cavity stimulates an in flammatory reaction causing release of large microscopic cells called "macrophages", which are capable of destroying sperm before they can get in to the tube to fertilize the egg. Copper IUD’s are also commonly used as an emergency contraceptive method.
    It also prevents the fertilized egg from getting hold on to the inner uterine surface i.e. implantation.( Link to implantation in sexual activity.)

Failure rate
    The IUD is 98% to over 99% reliable in preventing pregnancy. The newer one, like multiloads ML-Cu-250, ML-Cu-375, Cu 7 – 380 A, are highly effective i.e. >99%

What are the advantages?

* The IUD doesn’t require regular supply nor there is any problem of disposal affecting privacy.
    * It does not interfere with sex.
    * It doesn’t have any systemic side effects.
    * It works as soon as it is inserted. The return of fertility following removal is immediate.
    * Life risk is minimum and doesn’t increase with age as in oral contraceptives. Link to Disadvantages of O. C. Pills.
    * You only have to check the strings of the Cu T once a month. (Post menstrually to know if it’s still in place).

What are the disadvantages and common side effects?

* Some women report that their periods become heavier, longer or more painful. They usually settle down after a couple of months.
    * If you are not in a monogamous relationship (i.e. If you or your partner has other sexual partners) you are at risk of developing Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (P.I.D).
    * It does not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases. (STD’s)
    * It is possible that your womb could push out the IUCD. This is more likely in the first 2- 3 months so it is important to remember to check the IUD, is still in place.
    * The pain following insertion of IUD is due to uterine cramps, which usually subsides within a week and is mostly relived by analgesics. If the pain is persistent, you may need to consult the health care professional.
    * Some women do get rise in ******l discharge following insertion, which usually subsides after 1 month. It is associated with pain and fever, consult your health care professional

Hormone releasing IUD’s

Progesterone IUD (progestasert )
    The vertical shaft of IUD is fitted with a capsule containing hormone progesterone, which is released in sustained fashion, giving the desired contraceptive effect. Life span is one year.

Levonorgestrol IUD 20 (LNG20, Lernova) (Mirena)
    The hormone, Levonorgestrel is released gradually from the capsule. Life span is 5 – 7 years

Advantages

* Hormonal IUD’s are more effective than other IUD’s in relieving cramps.
    * Pregnancy and expulsion rates are lower than other IUD’s .
    * Amount of bleeding reduces significantly so more suitable for women with heavy periods.

Disadvantages

* Insertion is relatively painful for the patient, as the device is a little bulky.
    * Relative increase in number of extrauterine pregnancies is reported for.
    * Some women have reported complaints of breast tenderness, ache which, usually settles down within 3 months.
    * Irregular bleeding and absence of menses are common with users.
    * Infection due to the adhesions inside the uterus that blocks the tubal openings.

Thank you very very much mam, Really dont know how to express my gratitude. Thank you very much

Dr. Shehzad Lieutenant General X-MAN-S.A's Avatar

USe Some Pills or something..................
    If you think anything will affect "Hindu Terrorism and Rapism", you are fooling yourself, Kill them or get ready for your women to be Raped !!

there r some pills which stops pregnancy,but use it with 72 hours after the intercourse.it is available in medical shops.consult a doctor if u want

DIVIDED WE FALL !! Brigadier General adirocksit's Avatar

what a gr8 thread...........maam is the best!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eMan View Post
    Thank you very very much mam, Really dont know how to express my gratitude. Thank you very much
    You are most welcome....if you want me to simplify matters further, I'll do that but I believe that the info is pretty extensive!
    best of luck and lots of happiness in your marriage.

You are most welcome....if you want me to simplify matters further, I'll do that but I believe that the info is pretty extensive!
    best of luck and lots of happiness in your marriage.
    Thank you very much for d wsihes mam.

Your reply was very much informative. Am feeling very happy to know there is someone to help me with my doubts.

* Copper T
    Though it is known as 'contraception' but technically it is contra-implantation. The sperm fertilizes the ovum but the zygote formed is destroyed by the Copper-T and is prevented from being implanted on the uterine wall (mother's womb). Thus it is a very early abortion.

If you feel like not to do to have zygote formation and kill it later.
    By the way one known as TODAY is very good to use.
    It dosent forms the "BARRIER" between you two.
    But technically its I guess killing your own sperms.

Better you use CONDOM.

Banned

Ma'am tussi Gr8 ho!!

New Born

Default stop pregnancy

suggest some more ways othr than condoms n contraceptives, contraceptive pills hav some side effects too n we dont enjoy wid a condom, i heard some ways lik a gal aftr sex urinates then she doesn't get pregnant, is dat tru then plzz tell some of these tips coz i wont allow her to take pills..........