Thread: Hingis claims Kolkata Open title with emphatic win

Moderator Colonel djhassoo@hotmail.com's Avatar

Default Hingis claims Kolkata Open title with emphatic win

KOLKATA (AFP) - Top seed Martina Hingis of Switzerland bagged the Kolkata Open title with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over unseeded Russian Olga Poutchkova in the final here on Sunday. The former world number one faced a stiff challenge from her Russian rival only in the second set of the 57-minute encounter when she trailed 3-1 after dropping her serve.
    But the Russian, playing her maiden WTA final, could not keep the momentum.

"Yes, I was then a bit surprised," Hingis said after winning her 42nd career title.

"I had to refocus then. She was playing to my forehand which also took me by surprise a bit. I think at that point I gave her a chance to get back into the match and at one point even believed she had a chance.

"The first set was all too easy and I had to regain focus. It happens when you have it so easy."

Hingis, who did not drop a set in the entire tournament, was too good for her opponent in the 18-minute opening set as she slammed many winners.

"This is only my second title this year and so it is special," said Hingis, who also triumphed at Rome.

Poutchkova said she learned a lot playing against a "great player".

"I had a picture with Hingis when I was 10," said the Russian.

"I was very excited to play against her today. She is a great player and I look up to her. It was a learning experience playing against her.

"I was nervous in the first set as this was my first final on the WTA tour. But I had my chances in the second."

India's Sania Mirza and South African Liezel Huber won the doubles title with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Yuliana Fedak and Yulia Beygelzimer of Ukraine.

๛± RęD ĐęVíL ±๛ Lieutenant-Colonel valentino_ishu's Avatar

congrats martina....
    our sania lost to her in semis........