Thread: Usain Bolt dashes to another world record with Team Mates

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Default Usain Bolt dashes to another world record with Team Mates

BEIJING Aug 22—In yet another mind-boggling display of speed, Usain Bolt set another world record and won another Olympic gold medal, and this time he shared the glory with his Jamaican teammates.

Bolt and Asafa Powell blew away the field over the last two legs of the 400-meter relay Friday night, leading Jamaica around the track in 37.10 seconds to break the 16-year-old world record by 0.3 of a second.

Bolt is now 3-for-3 in these Olympic sprints -- as in three gold medals and three world records.

The bonus is that he got to bring Powell along for the ride. Powell held the world record in the 100-meter dash for about three years before Bolt broke it in May, but he is also well known for his history of poor performances in the biggest meets.

In this one, he got to do the honors, running the anchor leg, taking a clean handoff from Bolt and crossing the line almost a full second ahead of Trinidad and Tobago's Richard Thompson to secure his first Olympic medal. The official margin of victory, 0.96, was the biggest in the Olympics since 1936.

Japan finished third. The United States didn't qualify after dropping the baton in qualifying.

PREVIOUSLY.....

Usain Bolt of Jamaica, new to the 100 meters this year, already is an old hand at setting astonishing world records.

On Saturday in the final of the Olympic 100 meters, Bolt gapped the field, looking around through the final 30 meters, high-stepping through the final 10 and lowering his own world record to 9.69 seconds, .03 better than the mark he set in May. Then, after securing his first Olympic gold medal, he barely slowed down until he rounded the curve and hit the backstraight for some dancing and handshakes with some of his fans in the crowd.
    "It wasn't planned," the new "World's Fastest Man" told the Associated Press. "My aim was to come out and win. When I saw the time, I'm celebrating. I'm happy."

For Bolt and Jamaica, it was a glorious moment. For all the great sprinters the Caribbean island has produced, no Olympic 100 champion has ever worn the Jamaican colors. Natives Linford Christie and Donovan Bailey won gold medals for Great Britain in '92 and Canada in '96, respectively.
    Last edited by Preeto Maam; 23-08-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Default More on Bolt....

Bolt became the first sprinter to set the world record in the Olympics since Donovan Bailey ran 9.84 at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

"No one will get near it," fellow Jamaican Michael Frater, the sixth-place finisher, said of Bolt's record.

Two U.S. collegians earned the other medals. Richard Thompson of Trinidad & Tobago, the NCAA 100 champ for LSU, was second (9.89), and Walter Dix of the USA, the NCAA 200 champ this season for Florida State, took third (9.91).

Dix started slow but came on strong toward the end.

"I was planning to get out of the blocks and win this race, but unfortunately he did it," Dix, 22, told reporters afterward. "I know I have much more to do. But I'm proud to be on that podium for America," he added.

Asafa Powell of Jamaica, who set the four previous 100 records before Bolt, finished fifth (9.95).

Tyson Gay, the 100-200 world champ, U.S. recordholder and the third-fastest man ever, was eliminated in the semifinals. Gay, who suffered a right hamstring injury July 5 in the 200 at the U.S. trials and had no races since then, finished fifth, one spot out of a finals berth, in 10.05.

Bolt's specialty, and his favorite race, has been the 200 meters. He will be favored to claim his second gold when the 200 begins with heats on Monday. If he completes the sprint double, it will be the first time that has occurred in the Olympics since Carl Lewis accomplished it in 1984.

Bolt persuaded his coach, Glen Mills, to let him give the 100 a try. Though Mills believed Bolt's best event could be the 400, he agreed. Now, in only a handful of races, Bolt has set two world records.

"Usain was spectacular," Powell said. "He was definitely untouchable tonight. He could have gone a lot faster if he had run straight through the line."

Bolt, at 6-foot-5, was considered too tall to be a dominant 100 runner — men that tall aren't supposed to be able to get out of the starting blocks fast enough to win the shortest sprint. But that height does have some advantages: Bolt needs only about 41 strides to reach the line; most of his competitors need in the range of 45.

NBC analyst Ato Boldon, an Olympic medalist in the 100 and 200, predicted this kind of performance, saying in May after Bolt's first world record: "He's going to run 9.6, there's no question in my mind."

Boldon also said then that he expects Bolt to challenge the 200 record (19.32, set by Michael Johnson in 1996). "He's 21; he's going to get stronger; he'll get better competition. ... He's a phenomenal talent."
    Last edited by Preeto Maam; 23-08-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Let's Kill Enemies Field Marshal sweetooo.baba's Avatar

jamiacans are real Athletes
    Best Line Written in front of a masjid in New york

''Always believe in God,bcoz some questions in grave that cannot be answered by Google''

°l||l°Lucky 4 Girls°l||l° Brigadier General im_thebestin's Avatar

waaooo GR8 yaaa ....

TFS ...!!!
    MinD bLowinG sEx cAn teMporally eRasE yOur mEmOry
    ~Swami : Sameer BaBa~

Machinehead Lieutenant General ignoramusenator's Avatar

he s a dynamite for records

Make My Day

A real bolt !!!
    I am Freakin' Insecure Neurotically Emotional.

I am FINE.

Banned Lieutenant General
    in ur soul, just close ur eyes to see me!

wow nice one

congo to him