Thread: 7 Embarrassing Period Questions, Answered

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Default 7 Embarrassing Period Questions, Answered

7 Embarrassing Period Questions, Answered

You'll have hundreds of periods in your life. You'd think that after years of cramps and crankiness, you'd know everything there is to know about that time of the month. But if you're like most women, you still have questions—weird questions—about your period.

Why are my dreams so vivid during PMS?
    Although no research concludes that we dream differently in the week before our periods, studies do show that our sleep is disrupted. This is especially true if you have moderate to severe PMS. You may keep waking up during the night, or wake up earlier in the morning, even in the middle of your REM sleep cycle, when you're most likely to be dreaming." Since you remember your dreams only if you wake up from them, waking up often means PMS sufferers may be able to recall their dreams in all their wacky detail.

Why is my blood brownish at the start and end of my period?
    When your tampon looks liverish, it means that the blood is trickling from your uterus more slowly. When the flow is more gradual, the blood can oxidize faster and becomes darker.

What's up with those gross clots? Should I be worried?
    Relax. In most cases, they's no cause for alarm. Clots occur when the blood pools somewhere, either in the uterus or ******, and coagulates. Consult your doctor if you are passing large clots (bigger than a quarter) or experiencing extremely heavy flow (soaking through an overnight pad and tampon within an hour).

Moderator Lieutenant General Preeto Maam's Avatar

Why do I tend to bleed on one side of the tampon?
    It may be that you spend a good part of the day on your butt. When you're just sitting around for a long time, the blood tends to be on the underside of the tampon. The placement of the tampon also affects absorption. For example, if a tampon rests to one side of the cervical opening, it may soak up more blood there.

Are mid-30s too early for perimenopause?

For most women, yes. The average woman typically hits menopause at around age 51. Perimenopause—the transition phase when menopause symptoms begin—is defined as the four to six years before.

Why do I have to go (number two!) when I get my period?
    Research reveals that your period does affect your poop. One study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology found that one-third of women without known gastrointestinal problems experience abnormal bowel movements at the time of menstruation; likewise, 50 percent of women with irritable bowel syndrome report exacerbated symptoms at that time of the month. A lot of women have sluggish bowels the week before their period and looser stools for a couple of days after their period begins. Experts suspect that a fluctuation in the hormone progesterone may be the cause.

I've heard about feeling irritable during PMS, but what about feelings of insecurity or jealousy? Are those PMS too?
    Yes. These emotions are part of the symptoms of PMS, and they may put you in a fighting mood. You may want to put off dealing with relationship problems or rearrange your schedule to avoid them. You could also try following a plan proven to reduce emotional and physical PMS symptoms: cut caffeine, increase water intake, and take a multivitamin or PMS-formula vitamin.

thnx for the useful info for us men too.. it will help us understand them (women) better.. i rem once she got mad at me out of nowhere n thn i realised it mayb due to her PMS.. the very last point cleared my doubt n proved me right..

Quote Originally Posted by Preeto Maam View Post
    Why do I tend to bleed on one side of the tampon?
    It may be that you spend a good part of the day on your butt. When you're just sitting around for a long time, the blood tends to be on the underside of the tampon. The placement of the tampon also affects absorption. For example, if a tampon rests to one side of the cervical opening, it may soak up more blood there.

Are mid-30s too early for perimenopause?

For most women, yes. The average woman typically hits menopause at around age 51. Perimenopause—the transition phase when menopause symptoms begin—is defined as the four to six years before.

Why do I have to go (number two!) when I get my period?
    Research reveals that your period does affect your poop. One study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology found that one-third of women without known gastrointestinal problems experience abnormal bowel movements at the time of menstruation; likewise, 50 percent of women with irritable bowel syndrome report exacerbated symptoms at that time of the month. A lot of women have sluggish bowels the week before their period and looser stools for a couple of days after their period begins. Experts suspect that a fluctuation in the hormone progesterone may be the cause.

I've heard about feeling irritable during PMS, but what about feelings of insecurity or jealousy? Are those PMS too?
    Yes. These emotions are part of the symptoms of PMS, and they may put you in a fighting mood. You may want to put off dealing with relationship problems or rearrange your schedule to avoid them. You could also try following a plan proven to reduce emotional and physical PMS symptoms: cut caffeine, increase water intake, and take a multivitamin or PMS-formula vitamin.

wow, good info mam!

New Born

Thanks for the info.....

Helps to understand the situation better